“Experience Hawaii”
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

Sheraton Waikiki
Ranked #38 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Amazing View. By far the best hotel experience I've ever had. Hotel staff was attentive. Room was clean. Great facilities. Food was incredible. I can't wait to go back. Guest services were invaluable and i was able to get 2 extra days through Starwoods.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank B L
SheratonWaikiki, Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Aloha and mahalo for your wonderful review of our resort. We are very happy your enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
A hui hou,
Sheraton Waikiki Guest Experience Team

Write a ReviewReviews (6,249)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Sheraton Waikiki is a bustling property in the middle of Waikiki. I've stayed at this property 4x in the last three years for business, and every time there was something wrong in the room. Consistent issues were plumbing and house-keeping. The first time we stayed there the bath-tub was cracked in several places and appeared to be dirty. The next time th shower wouldn't work properly - the drain didn't work and within minutes I was standing in water up to the middle of my calf. Perhaps the most offensive thing was finding strands of black hair in the bed and a dirty pillow stained with lipstick. On all occasions we immediately called the front desk and housekeeping and engineering came to "our rescue" approximately 30 minutes later - upsetting as all incidents happened late at night preparing for bed. I always request non-smoking but somehow the room always smells like smoke. Management claims that it comes from nearby lanais. All three times we stayed in ocean front rooms. While the view is breath-taking, there is a considerable amount of noise from entertainment below that lasts pretty late into the night. The noise could be quelled if the sliding door was closed, and I prefer ocean air in comparison to air-conditioning. The beds were fairly comfortable, but after the first visit I brought my own travel pillow. I'm always struck by the masses of people thronging through the lobby and other public spaces. Be prepared to wait in a very long line to check in, and then vye for a space in the elevators. The location is convenient to world-class shopping, excellent dining (not on property) and entertainment on foot. By car, once on the avenue you are 5-10 minutes away (depending on traffic) from the Kapiolani Park/Kapahulu Avenue area that is considered "local" hang-outs to walk/jog, enjoy concerts and fairs, eateries and shopping such as Hawaiian antiques. The beach fronting the hotel is very crowded so it's best to find local get-aways like nearby Diamond Head Beach or Ala Moana Beach. If you opt to self-park, be aware you will have to walk out of the building and get into an elevator to access your car in parking structure. Order your car ahead of time if you use valet service, as there is also a long wait. The saving grace that made the hotel okay to stay at three times (had to as my company booked me there) was having an ocean front room. It is totally awesome to enjoy the rolling surf of Waikiki and recall "by-gone days." I grew up on Oahu and love Waikiki. If you are looking for an intimate get-away or a quiet solo or friends weekend, then go elsewhere. Waikiki can be a wonderful place to stay if you find accommodations suited to your values and tastes.

Room Tip: I think the hotel has been entirely renovated by now, but just to be sure ask for a renovated room...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lee Y

Aloha and mahalo for your recent review of our resort. We are always happy to get the feedback of return guests and our kamaaina. We have shared your comments with the management team and they are working on solutions for all your concerns. We are very happy to let you know we are in the process of making the entire resort smoke free. Please contact us directly prior to your next visit as we would be happy to personally assist you in anyway. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Mahalo and a hui hou,
377GuestExperienceTeam@Sheraton.com

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The P/O view room was average size on the 18th Floor. The bed was worn out and hard. We flipped the mattress ourselves but the mattress was still hard. Each morning we awoke from a restless sleep with back pains. I called guest services to complain about the uncomfortable mattress and they said all they could do was send up 4 extra pillows to put on top of the mattress. This solution did not work! The lanai area had muddy hand prints on the walls which stayed there unwashed for our whole 2 week stay( Feb 8 to Feb 22/13.) Our shower stall had pencil lines in a shape of a "T" that stayed there the whole time too.
The pool area was always crowded. At 8:00 am you had be down by the pool area to get towels to put on the chair you wanted to reserve , if you waited until after 9:00 am most of chairs were already reserved. I regularly saw guests going to the Pool staff station and got enough towels to lay on chairs to reserve 6-8 spots, they even were given hold cards for 2 hours for this purpose. I do not understand why this is allowed, I can maybe 4 reserved chair. This one guy had cards and towels for 8 spots to be used by his friends, I know I watched him do it and was there when his friends arrived hours latter. They had spots reserved the the full sun and chairs reserved in the shade which they used along with the ones in the sun. One day 2 chairs he reserved went unused all day.This is very unfair and greedy by the guests. There was no contact with hotel unless you approached them with a concern, you were invisible to them. The noise from tour buses backing up at 6:00 am in the street below us woke us from a rotten sleep.There were nice restaurants North of the hotel that had happy hour prices on food and drinks, Hula Grill was a fantastic place to go and eat and watch the sunset. The elevator indicator lights were white in color and blinked when it was going to open arrive, problem was the doors closed quickly and hard to see the blinking lights as they were mixed in with other white lights above them. They should change the elevator indicator lights to red, so it stands out better. When you arrive in the main floor elevator area you are surrounded by elevators in a circle with push buttons located in the middle of this gathering area. People run like cattle to an opening elevator as they close too fast. It was a joke to watch these people push and make their way to open doors. On my first night there,I phoned for a Sharps container for my insulin needles, something I have done at many of the hotels I stayed at before. The front desk person said they did not supply them, I stored my used needles in my pill containers. On my last night there I personally went to the front desk to double check if I could get a Sharps container and I was given one?? The Infinity pool was awesome and closely monitored so only adult guest staying at the Sheraton were using it. The Pool Staff were quick to spot and remove people/kids who were not authorized to be it.
I will never stay here again because of the older hard beds, unsatisfactory response from the guest services, they could have tried to find a newer softer mattress.
Do not waste your money staying this place find a more caring and efficient hotel.

Room Tip: Stay as high as you can facing Diamond head or Ocean view. Make sue you get a renovated room, most o...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kena2319

Aloha and mahalo for your recent review of our resort. We have shared your experiences with the management team and we appreciate your valuable feedback. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Our goal is to deliver a memorable experience for our guests and your comments help us know where to focus our efforts.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This year we stayed at the Waikiki Sheraton with another family and we each upgraded to Malia suites, using the same number of SPG points. Ours was 1544 and theirs was 1443, one floor apart. What a difference between the two suites! They had an entry hall and a very large bathroom with two closets. They found bathrobes waiting for them. There were two couches in the spacious living room and a long console in the living room containing drawers and a refrigerator, with the flat screen TV on top.

Skip to our room, 1544. Ours had no entry hall. The bathroom was located on a long, thin hallway with two sinks. At the end was the toilet, small tub with plastic curtain. The living room had a single couch. There was a corner TV console, containing the fridge where the TV would normally be. The TV was hanging on the wall with channels containing the cords stuck onto the wall and not painted over. No bathrobes in ours.

We should have complained and requested a comparable room, but we didn't. Next time we will just request a suite ending in 43 because on all floors the configuration is the same. Do not accept a suite ending in 44.

There is now a resort charge of $25 (plus tax) per day, which includes your in-room wireless Internet (up to 3 devices per room), towels and parking. I like that there is no count of towels; that is always such a petty practice. I would like to suggest that as part of this resort charge people be given cards to reserve chairs. On the card they write their room number and the time they put the card down. If they leave the card longer than 2 hours the pool personnel will pick up everything on the chair, including the card. As in all resorts, people put out towels early in the morning and may just use the chair for an hour or two during the day, or not at all. Pool personnel are supposed to clear off chairs that haven't been used in more than 2 hours, but how do they know? I didn't see any pool personnel doing that. An alternative, which I wouldn't really like to see, would be charging a nominal hourly sum for the chairs. That would keep the chairs free for people who will actually use them.

Cleanliness: As we were checking out I looked under the couch and what I saw was disgusting. Crayons, food wrappers, dust, gum. The couch was cream colored, but the arms of the couch were dirty grayish. Sitting in the bath tub I noticed that there were brown stains under the toilet rim. YUCK!

Service: The first night we arrived our sinks wouldn't drain. The next morning they were draining fine but we forgot to cancel our request for an engineer to check it out in the morning. I don't know if they ever came because there was no indication that they had been there. Wouldn't it be good customer service to leave a card on the sink to say that the engineer had at least visited?

Positives: Beds are always good, and the Murphy beds in the suite living rooms are almost as comfortable as the King Size ones in the bedroom. . I love that the pool attendants are vigilant about keeping babies and young children out of the adult pool. Our teen son was allowed to stay, but he was quiet and respectful that it was an adults only pool. We love the big orange bean bag floats!

As I have mentioned in my previous review of this hotel, the location is brilliant! For restaurants you can walk to Roy's, Ruth's Crist, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Duke's, etc. For shopping, there is every major designer shop you can think of in a few blocks. Also a small Macy's and lots of specialty boutiques, plus the Hawaiian Village. All tours leave within walking distance or from the beach outside the hotel. You will not need a car unless you just want to drive around without a destination.

Suggestions: It would be very nice if there were an adults only hot tub near the adult pool. Sitting in a hot tub with babies and young children makes my skin crawl. Even if babies are wearing diapers the contents of the diapers will leak into the hot tub water. And parents, do not let your children put their heads under the water in the hot tubs. It's an earache waiting to happen.

I was disappointed with the Sheraton on this trip.

Room Tip: If you are reserving a Malia suite request one ending in 43, not 44.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Renery
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The grounds and location is awesome. The disappointing part is you pay to stay based on the pool and expectation that the services will be consistent and understood by all staff members. Tried to book a cabana but after being told you couldn't book in advance, yet all were booked for the entire week (huh?!) Then there's the additional charge of $50 per head, per day.....

If you can't get a cabana - do not miss your reserved seating time by 5 minutes or you won't be sitting at the pool!!! You can however be cramped into a corner of the "reserved" beach where all the rocks are located for a rockin (haha) deal of $45 dollars! Awesome!!!

Overall was a nice time, but customer service and knowledgable staff are deal breakers for this Chica!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chelsea S
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki from February 4 until February 19th. This is probably our thirtieth visit to this hotel. This hotel is certainly the best location in Waikiki, with a friendly attentive staff. While you are sitting on the lounge looking at the adult only infinity pool which seems to extend into the ocean all you see is the beautiful turquoise water, people surfing and a magnificent view of Diamond Head. If you book an oceanfront room the view is incredible. You can see the many turtles that seem to frequent the area right near the hotel in the morning and evening. There are always drink specials by the pool every day as well as special amenities for gold spg members. There is a resort fee of $25 a day, but it does include parking, a large bottle of water every day, exercise classes in the infinity pool, bean bag floats in the pool and more. There is another beautiful pool that does allow children with hot tub, slides and waterfalls on the side of the hotel. Best hotel experience in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Ocean front has the best view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia C
Reviewed February 23, 2013

It's right in the heart of Waikiki. The pools are awesome. The only problem is, the place gets over-crowded, especially the pools. Lots of foreign tourists as well. Have patience. Most of the food on-site is good, but it's over-priced. Walk a few blocks norther/mauka/toward the mountains and you can save some money. The rooms are average. You really are paying for the view, the beach, and the pools. The catamaran boat on the beach is good too, though I don't think it's run by the hotel. The pool services are OK. They have a company selling sunglasses and lotions and the products are quite good. They are a little pricey, but you can charge stuff to the room and just pay at the end of your stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple