“Stunning hotel!”

Sheraton Waikiki
Ranked #36 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“Stunning hotel!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed here in Oct 2012 for our honeymoon. We were instantly blown away by the fantastic service, stunning rooms and amazing infinity pool!
A chilled bottle of wine was waiting in our room with a congratulatory message which was a nice touch. The bell staff were fantastic and did everything short of unpacking our clothes!
We booked a pool side capana for 3 days (at $60 a day) which was amazing (we felt like royalty) and comes with pool side wait service to order food, drinks and even sunscreen - the best pina colada's in Hawaii were at the infinity pool! An added bonus was that there are no children allowed in the infinity pool so it's perfect for couple get-aways.
We dined at Rumfire which is also fantastic (must try the cucumber mojito!)
The only critisicm I have is that this hotel is so amazing that it is FULL of tourists, so if your looking for a quite get away go to Maui!
Cannot wait to return!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Gigi1987

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights with work; I am 41 years old and a frequent traveler with work and family. I would go again for work, but not with my family. Would likely stay at Hilton Village for a more comprehensive family vacation.

Pros
- The beach and pool area is stunning; lots to do or just lay around and enjoy the scenary
- A very romantic place or great for singles or families with kids (Except for the food!)
- Service is awesome
- Easy access to walk to shops/restaurants or to take the trolley or bus (do not rent a car, the public transport is nice, safe, cheap and runs literally every 5 mins or so)

Cons
- The food is just ok; breakfast is the best but pricey ($28 for the buffet); if you have kids, they will not be happy with the lunch and dinner selections; menu was fairly ethnic so not a lot of "plain" American choices in the restaurant on the beach.
- The rooms were clean, nice beds but a little older...decent, not great...but you are paying for the views and location I guess..if you are a hotel snob, go to the Hilton Village, it is the best!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank M_M_S_D
Centerport
Reviewed February 6, 2013

While in Honolulu, my boyfriend and I stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki. Here, we had breakfast at the restaurant located right at the water's edge. The buffet breakfast was wonderful.
The rooms themselves are only okay, but the view of the water and mountains are great!
This hotel has the best location. It is located very close to many shops and restaurants. It is a 20 minute drive to and from the airport by taxi.
And the two pools and hot tub only add to the pleasure of staying here.
There are plenty of tours offered to Pearl Harbor, a must-see.

Room Tip: Take the rooms on the top floors for the view!
1 Thank Cindy H
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I normally do not like to post bad reviews as I feel sometimes you can attend on an off day. But, repeatedly, I was spoken down to and down right ignored.

First off, the rooms are definitely built to suit the Asian culture. They are incredibly small, no where to unpack your luggage and the bathroom mirror opens to the main bedroom. When we called the front desk there were no upgrades available. I tried again the next morning as the light from the hallway completely lit up our room all night. I had to hang a long dress over the lock and a towel at the bottom of the door. This could easily be fixed with weather stripping.

I didn't get much sleep either as I kept smelling cigarette smoke intermittently all night.

When I spoke to the front desk about the smoke, Irma rudely pointed out that I was on a non-smoking floor. Oh, ok, that makes it go away and everyone follows the rules. When I asked her what the plan was to do about that, they were going to send security to see who was smoking. I asked what if they cant figure it out? she responded "well then we will take it from there". I asked them to call me with the results, twice, no phone call. Not once, not even to check if it had improved after I told them I was allergic to cigarette smoke. Which resulted in an urgent care visit for a steroid shot.

She basically assumed that I was still trying to get a larger room when we would have been fine to move to a different room where there was no smoke. But then again, the smoke couldn't be real according to Irma because "you're on a non-smoking floor". Thanks for your help, dear. We couldn't even enjoy our lanai open due to the smoke. Irma, please look up the incidence of second hand smoke causing cancer versus first hand smoke, I didn't choose to smoke, I shouldn't be forced to pay and stay where I have to inhale it when it makes it difficult to breathe.

The bartender at rum fire on Jan 30th around 10:30 was so rude to my husband. He was buying us a drink and at this bar they only give you one drink at a time. He asked "dude, aren't you from here"? All of Hawaii only gives one drink. My husband replied, no, I'm not and that wasn't the case in Maui. He could have simply explained their policy as opposed to giving a smart remark.

Oh yes, the tub wouldn't drain. Awesome. These are only a few of our complaints. I do not recommend this hotel and It really left a bad taste in my mouth about Waikiki in general. Go to the Sheraton in Maui, they are amazing, accommodating and friendly. This one does not live up the Sheraton name.

The only good was the breakfast and the infinity pool.

7 Thank AutumnS_13
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the sheraton for 7 nights in January 2013.
Pros
Location - excellent spot on waikiki beach. Beautiful views of diamond head and the beach. Across the road from the Main Street of waikiki, shops and restaurants are only minutes away.
Rum fire - food was great, service was excellent, and the view was priceless. On the one night we ate here there were no tables available so one of the girls let us sit in the cabana which is normally booked for functions.
Cons
Very busy hotel, lifts are slow but it seems that is from the number of guests at the hotel.
Price of food and drinks in the restaurants
Smell of the market/shop in the foyer area.
Noise at night. The air con seemed to keep turning off so we would leave the door open. Trucks would wake us in the early morning.
Bed was uncomfortable. Seemed to be on a slant.
Even though i have listed more cons then pros, Overall it was a really nice stay and if I came back to hawaii I would definitely think about staying here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Richardsonnswaus
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Nothing has really changed at this hotel, yet at the same time everything has changed. I can contribute the change completely to being an SPG Gold member, and the changes Sheraton has made to the program. The benefits they have added really make the price, or point redemption, well worth it. Without the added incentives I know I wouldn't have been as impressed.

Check in this time was a pleasure. The employee was efficient and not rushed, taking time to explain all of our benefits, and everything else that could be enjoyed at the hotel. When we talked about our interest in activities he made suggestions and brought us some extras to further enjoy the trip. Gold level benefits included a kukui nut lei and a wrist band to wear around the property so that we would easily be identified while on property....nice. We were also upgraded to a partial ocean view room. Not sure what a standard room would be, but we did enjoy the view on the spg preferred floor.

The rooms have not changed a bit, so it was exactly as expected. Since our room faced toward the marina, versus towards Diamond Head, we did not have the ability to open a window in the bathroom to see a better view and air it out. In the past we had been bothered by noise coming from every direction, this time just the street noise of a busy large city (mainly a truck beeping while backing up constantly 24hrs a day) could be heard. I doubt Sheraton did anything to reduce the noise, just our luck this time versus past visits.

The resort fee, which comes in just under 25 with the taxes is great. What you get for it is amazing. Parking, with in and out privileges, wifi in room and throughout the property, two waters in the room daily. And a bunch of other items we would never use.

Overall this last visit really changed my opinion of this Sheraton. Everything on Waikiki is over priced so that is not a factor anymore. If you "win" this property on an auction site or book it using points you will feel lucky, if you pay full price then you might not be as happy, but you will get a lot of bang for your buck. The location could not be better in Waikiki.

1 Thank Azgators
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I an an SPG Platinum member. The hotel has a separate line for SPG Gold and Platinum members which never has a wait. The rest of the tourists must endure a 30-45 minute wait to check in most of the time. I felt a little guilty walking past all the Asian tourists and using this priority line...but I got over it quickly.

Normally, I stay away from large convention hotels but thought I would give this a try for a week in Honolulu. I'll have to say, for a large hotel they have found the magic formula to make you feel special and not like any convention hotel I have ever visited. It is obvious, the employees have been highly trained in hospitality. Everyone greets you with a smile and says hello.

We were given access to the 30th floor club room where the views are absolutely stunning from every direction. Every morning a light breakfast is served and every evening, coctails and bar food is available. It's a great place to watch the sun go down......or come up. The staff is friendly. I appreciate the fact that they check your room number and name before you can get in. That limited the number of people using the room and it was never crowded.

The hotel is spotless. No doubt, a difficult task with over 1600 rooms.

We found a grand piano on the second level in a lobby for the meeting rooms. There were no meetings going on and nobody around so my wife practiced every day for 30 minutes. We had the entire area to ourselves with an occasional tourist walking through.

If you want convenience to everything in Waikiki, this is a great place. You can use your room charge at the Royal Hawaiian next door or the Moana Surfrider. You do not need a car but we had one anyway. The hotel has a very convenient parking garage adjacent and it and parking is free (part of the daily resort charge you pay anyway).

Internet service in our room was well above average. It was as fast as home.

The restaurants are a little pricey even for Waikiki but there are several alternatives within 2 blocks so that is not an issue.

Room Tip: The oceanview rooms are stunning. We would sit in our chairs and watch the surf and sunrise every da...
1 Thank Glenstone