“Not what I thought it would be”
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

Sheraton Waikiki
Ranked #38 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I was in Hawaii for 5 nights with my sister in late April this year. After a busy time in New York, Boston and LA I was really looking forward to a relaxing 5 days at the Sheraton Waikiki in beautiful Hawaii. Hawaii didn't disappoint - it is gorgeous! The Sheraton was another story...

I will start by saying that this hotel is not the worst I have stayed in. It was a place to sleep and it was not horrible. It was not, however, to the standard I would have thought went with the name.

Check in was fine - we had a lovely lady help us and she even looked to see if there was another room of the same standard that we could get into early. That wasn't possible, but we were still checked in just after 1pm on the day we arrived. Check out was equally smooth.

We had a beach view room on the 11th floor. The room itself was very basic - and a decent enough size. We had a balcony that overlooked the infinity pool and from this balcony we could see sea turtles swimming close to the shore.

The room was not the cleanest. There were ring marks on the tables, a shoddy chair (and only one even though this was a twin room), there were holes in the sheets, stains on the carpet and quilt, and black hair on the beds. There was a coffee machine (which only does one cup at a time) and a whole 2 teabags to share 3 each day. No mugs, just 2 paper cups each day. There was also a kettle in the bathroom. Now - if I was in a budget hotel this would not bother me, but the Sheraton calls itself a 4 star hotel.

There is a $25 a day "resort charge". Make that $26 once you add taxes. For this we got 1 litre of water a day (based on usage, so make sure you hide it if you don't use it), free local and international calls, use of the internet, use of the floats in the infinity pool (old and shabby beanbags) and a few other meaningless things. I would prefer the choice to use all of these things.

The hotel itself is quite busy - with a mixed bag of tourists. I would say the majority of tourists seemed to be from Australia and Japan.

Food - eat out if you can. At the pool bar we ordered 2 sandwiches and 2 pina coladas. That came to $60 when you add the tip. Room service was ridiculously expensive. Vegetarian guests are not well catered for. A tip for a great falafel stand nearby - Da Falafel King - just outside the trade centre. Cheap and cheerful and a quick walk from the hotel.

The beach is great - safe and clean. The infinity pool is much hyped, but is nothing special and gets really crowded. The other pool is busy as this is where the children swim. It is also crowded. The pool is not deep. The spas are nice and warm, but children and in and out and often not supervised. While were were there it was very windy and my sister just missed getting hit in the head by a table that flew across the pool area and into the spa. Not too much concern was shown when we reported this to the pool staff.

For the price I would not stay here again. It is not what it appears to be and is not worth the money. We still enjoyed ourselves and the staff who help organise trips and excursions are really lovely. There are some nice gift stores in the hotel and being on the main strip of Waikiki there is plenty of shopping to be done if you are into that.

The hotel is safe and well located, but not worth the money. It is certainly not a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Kelly S

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Fantastic hotel, just a warning when we were out swimming at the beach, a local tried to steal my back that I had placed under the towel( of coarse no money in it, but it did have my new sunnies in it!) luckily we saw her and my husband told her off!!
Best family holiday!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Having just spent the last 3 weeks travelling I must say the last week at the Sheraton has been very disappointing. My family and I ( wife and 2 children 12 & 8 ) were looking forward to a week of relaxation and rest in Hawaii after a week skiing at Whistler and another traveling around Vancouver. Unfortunately we will have to wait until we get home to get some rest.
The noise between rooms is unbelievable. We were waken each morning by next doors alarm at 6am and kept up until about 2 am every night because of the noise coming from other rooms. You can hear conversations going on next door and if that is not enough you can hear them in the bathroom.
Then there is the room itself. For a family of 4 it's just too small for any real length of time and the beds are just a joke. Who sleeps in double these days, there is just no room. At every other hotel we stayed in we had king beds for ourselves and the kids.
On another note you don't even get glasses for water or cups for coffee. We got 3 plastic disposable cups for water and 3 paper cups for coffee. And then there is the resort charge which we knew nothing about. Checking in after the long flight we were informed that there was a $25/day compulsory resort charge. For that you could self park a car for free, get 1lt of water per day for your room, use the Internet on 1 device only and use the phone for free. Didn't really need any of those things so would have been nice to pocket the $200 dollars for the 8 days we were here.
On the plus side the location is fantastic, the pools great and the beach just steps away. Thank god the weather was great and we spent as much time as we could away from the hotel. It just seemed this place is too busy to feel relaxed. A pity.

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Funcoola
Reviewed April 18, 2012

The only reason I picked this hotel was because they recently did a $188M renovation and opened April 2011. Being a brand new hotel in Waikiki is a great plus, as most of the hotels in Waikiki were established in the 70s, and you can only imagine how run down they can be.

Another big reason we pick this hotel is because Peet's Coffee is in Sheraton. We are from California, and my husband and I are big fans of Peet's. I believe that is the only place in Honolulu you can get Peet's coffee.

The hotel is located in central Waikiki, everything is walking distance, so is a plus. This hotel is right on the beach, is a plus plus. All the public hotel areas, pool areas is top of the class renovation, so is "super" plus. They separated with the adult infinite pool (16 year & older) and a family pool, which is great. The family pool has 2 slides, one for kids 3 ft and taller (3 ft kids needs to have a floatees); another slides for the babies. Our kids had such a great time!!

My only grip is that the rooms were ok, and the bathrooms were NOT renovated - my biggest pep peeves!! Which is surprising, when they spent so much money and time to renovate the property, but left out the bathrooms. The bathrooms vanity is modern and seems new; however the title floors and the bath tub is definite old and dated. The funny part is that I got a survey from Sheraton after my stay, they asked me how was my room, in the sentence, it said (not including the bathroom)..... so even the hotel knows the bathroom is not up to standard, and its old.

We have a mountain view room and am glad that I didn't get the ocean view because most of the time we spent on the beach/pool. Also, if I stepped out the balcony, you can actually see 'partial ocean view', which was great!! Let me tell you, in California, they would have charge this room as 'partial ocean view'. :)

Also, their bed was very comfortable, not too soft (which most hotels tend to have) and not too hard, both my husband and I had a great night sleep!!

I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you plan to be at the beach/ pool, or out shopping most of the day, I would not pay for an ocean...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank christine c
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We enjoyed our recent visit to the Sheraton Waikiki. While Waikiki is not my "ultimate" Hawaiian getaway - far too crowded for a real relaxing vacation, a few days in Waikiki is never a bad thing. The Sheraton is ideally located in walking distance to many fantastic shopping & dining opportunities. The hotel was clean, recently remodeled and the service overall was good. My only two negative comments have to do with things that are really outside of the hotel's control. I loved the "adult" infinity pool - how relaxing to have a place to sit by the pool without thousands of kids splashing and screaming nearby. That being said: Why are the hot tubs all over on the family side? Whenever we went to go for a hot tub, we found that they were heavily populated by small children, swimming, wrestling, throwing splash balls - not really relaxing. The other issue I had was with smokers. We were on a non-smoking floor, but everyone around us, it seemed was outside smoking on their balconies. So, while our room certainly did not smell of smoke, it was not pleasant to sit out and listen to the surf or enjoy the sunset, as the air smelled like cigarettes from the many smokers around us. (we spied them smoking on the floor below and in the room next door). My suggestion is to make even the balconies in these lower levels smoke-free zones - put the smokers up high, and let their smoke drift above them!
On the positive side, we appreciated that they kept tabs on the "chair savers" by the pool - if a chaise was "reserved" via towel or magazine without use for more than 2 hours, the pool staff would make that chaise available for those who were there wanting a chaise. But we never had a problem getting a chaise, and we were there during a busy Easter week. Also, I appreciated the many umbrellas available for shade, and everyone loved the bean back floatees in the pool. Rum Fire was fun! There was also a Japanese restaurant on the premises, but there was no real "atmosphere" there, so we chose to dine off-property. They only offered an expensive buffet breakfast at the Kai, even though there were breakfast menu items in the display case, so I am not sure what that was about...The buffet was an average value for the dollar ($28). My friends who were on the concierge level seemed to really find that a great value for the money, and next time, I will add that to our room choice, especially if I have a rental car. Another person traveling in our party had terrific service at the spa - a facial and a massage for her husband. Surfing is spectacular right off the beach in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Our friends who were on the Diamond Head side above the 22nd floor had a better view than ours - an...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MindyHB
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights.
1. The infinity pool was filled with "flotties" to kick back and relax. This is a great addition. Only Adults seemed to use it.
2. Check in was fast and friendly.
3. Rooms were clean and well maintained. We had ocean view that was wounderful.
4. Foodservice was excellent. We ate at the Koi on Sat. for the seafood style buffet 9 out of 10
5. The grounds were clean and nicely landscaped.
6. Pool drinks were great and a little high $$.
8. the best koi pond and at feeding times were allowed to feed them.
9. Spa 1st class
10. Lots of eating oppertunities off property. If you have a car try Ninja Sushi Hawaii - Fresh, Fast, Healthy.
11. The staff was always friendly and willing to help.
12. We were given free self parking.
13. Had our pictures taken by a very nice and talented photo person.
14. We have fridge in the room +++
15. ABC stores everywhere for wine,snacks,fruit
16. their were vendord set up in the lobby area selling trinkets. Walk to the street for a much better deal!!!
17. Walk down the beach 2 hotels down for drinks under the most unbelevable Banyon tree.
18. Watch the fire dancer at the around 7 pm at the infinity pool very cool!!
19. The pizza served in the bar was excellent.
20. We requested a late check out and for only $25 was given an extra 3 hours.
We will be back! Based on what I saw at other hotels we made the right choice. Fri. and Sat the hotel was busy. Stay on high floors if you can.

Room Tip: Request the right bed config. We were on the 4th floor ocean view not much noise except Sat. Night.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Chefrel
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Despite being a world traveler, this was my first vsit to Hawaii and it knocked my socks off...OK maybe my flip flops off! The Sheraton Waikiki is amazing. The open air lobby brings the tropical scents right to you as you check in or enjoy the many delightful shops and services available. I was there for a conference but added a day or two at each end and am so glad that I did. The infinity edge pool is pefectly located so you can view the pool to the ocean and right on over to Diamond Head. The restaurants can be pretty pricey, crowded and hard to get into, so just take a walk next door. There is a shopping mall-type place with lots of budget friendly choices. As a caution, be prepared to pay a lot for everything in Hawaii, but nature is free and there is planty of that. The hotel itself was lovely. clean, friendly staff and helpful resources so you can book any extra tours you want. I took the catamaran sail at sunset and it was wonderful. We did serious MaiTai research up and down the beach and The Edge Bar and Grill right on the water at the Sheraton serves among the best!

Room Tip: Be absolutely sure that you face the water and get a high floor for breathtaking views.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business