We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for our honeymoon and were really impressed with the professional, friendly manner in which we were looked after by the wonderful staff. This is a really nice hotel and would certainly be our first choice when we return to Waikiki. We stayed on a 12th floor suite (out of 31 floors) which had great views in 2 directions from the 2 balconies.
A quick summary of our experience:
First the good things:
- We took the option of having access to the club lounge as part of our package (open in morning for breakfast) and then open between 4 and 8pm each day and providing a selection of snacks/food and drinks at no charge (need to pay for alcohol). This was one of our favourite things as it was a more relaxed, quiet retreat from the crowds and also a great view from the 30th floor. The lounge staff were wonderful and provided friendly, personal and efficient service.
- The staff in the hotel were fantastic. Every single staff member we encountered was friendly, welcoming and helpful. They really did make it a wonderful experience to stay at the Sheraton.
- The infinity pool!!!! Fantastic views and love the appearance of pool extending into the ocean. Was great to use the hotel provided floating beanbags to float around and relax in the pool & sun. Also good that this is an adults only pool so don't have to worry about kids playing (there is another great pool as well with a decent water slide, etc for the kids, so is good for everyone).
- Very nice, modern and clean interior appearance of the hotel. I believe it may have recently been renovated and this shows. Our room was immaculate as were the common areas, etc.
- Great location in close proximity to all of the shops and nightlife of Waikiki. Great views in all directions from the hotel.
- Lots of facilities and activities to be involved in. The hotel provided some free cultural activities for those that were interested (we did aqua-yoga), as well as provided beach type equipment for hire at reasonable prices.
And to provide a balanced view, the downsides/areas for improvement were (many of which I noted in other reviews before we went, and to be honest were very minor):
- There was a moderate queue to check in and a bit of a wait (maybe 5 minutes, so really in the scheme of things is nothing at all). I'd seen comments about this before, and realistically is because everybody goes to check-in at the same time when check-in opens at 3pm. Minor
- This is a big hotel (by the look of it one of the largest in Waikiki) and whilst they have heaps of elevators servicing the 31 floors, there were quite a few times when there was a big gathering waiting to crowd into the lift. Maybe this would work better if there were a selection of lifts that service particular floors, rather than all lifts serving every floor. Once again was only a minor issue and only happened to us on maybe 3 or 4 occasions. Minor.
- It was almost impossible to get a lounge chair by the infinity pool. We weren't staying there during a peak time, and it was clear that many people would put their towels to reserve the lounge chairs early in the day and then head off elsewhere (they weren't in the pool judging by the numbers). This was the most annoying thing of our stay, however once again not major by any means as we could get a nearby seat in the bar and wait until someone eventually did the right thing and left. I'm not sure there is a great deal the hotel can do about this and is more to do with selfish behaviour by people.
- The hotel's location is good, central to Waikiki and close to everything. Whilst it is located right on the beach, one thing we weren't aware of was that the hotel doesn't really front a beach as such - the section of water in front of the Sheraton is a sea wall and footpath, which also is needed I suppose so they can have the infinity pool. I compare this to most of the other hotels along the strip which have actual frontage to a beach (with sand). This is a very minor issue as well as you only have to walk 1 minute to the side of the hotel to be back onto the main beach. Extremely minor.
So overall, there were lots of great things about the hotel and our stay and really only some very minor issues. I would certainly recommend the Sheraton Waikiki and I know that this will certainly be our hotel of choice for any future visits we make to Waikiki.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Waikiki on Oahu's oceanfront in Hawaii has Khakara Spa, delicious restaurants, and the largest ballroom in Waikiki. We're the perfect destination for an unforgettable wedding or honeymoon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Sheraton Waikiki reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Waikiki Hotel Honolulu
- Sheraton Hotel Waikiki
- Sheraton Hotel Honolulu
- Sheraton Honolulu
- Honolulu Sheraton
- Sheraton Waikiki Honolulu
- Sheraton Waikiki Hawaii/Honolulu