“Great location”

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed for 8 nights and enjoyed it! Was recommended to stay in this hotel by a friend as the location was great! We booked 3 months in advance and stayed over the valentines and Presidents' Day week.
We arrived early and we were told that we had been upgraded to a room which a ocean view, because we arrived early we were allowed to leave our bags at the luggage hold facility.
The room was pretty good and the view from the room was amazing!! (So glad we got upgraded).
We got complimentary bottles of water everyday and a gift basket on arrival which was really great as we went on day tours and didn't have to worry about buying water to take with us.
The bed was really comfy and we were able to sleep really well in it each night. The bathroom looked a bit out dated but it was clean.
The hotel does look a bit out dated and it was a bit pricey for a three star hotel but for the location we didn't mind it. It was close to the beach, buses to Ala Monana shopping centre and Honolulu, the markets and lots of eateries.
The staff were professional and always greeted you when you entered and left the premises.
Most tour buses leave from the hotel opposite (Hyatt) so it was confusing sometimes as to where we were suppose to meet but other than that it was a very enjoyable stay.
Would recommend others to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 184Emma
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Aloha 184Emma and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're happy to learn that your vacation with us was enjoyable and that you would recommend our hotel to others. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our professional and friendly associates. Mahalo!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

The hotel was part of a package. The location is great because you in the middle of Waikiki Beach area. There is plenty to do outsideof hotel. Most of the common areas are open and no A/C. The restaurant on the first floor is good for breakfast but expensive. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Consearge has great suggestion for eating places outside of the hotel. Room wasclean and comfortable. The entire place was not as nice as othe Sheraton facilities that I have stayed at.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Aloha Bidman1944 and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We're happy to learn that our hotel met your expectations and we appreciate your honest feedback regarding your experience. Mahalo for chosing the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. Aloha.

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I have written only one other review and that was to praise a great hotel in Seattle. This hotel on the other hand is well deserving of a poor review. This hotel is tired and beat up and needs a makeover. This alone is bad enough but to add insult to injury I found several of the staff to be down right rude. The only positive thing about this place is the location but there are plenty of hotels in the area and you I would advise anyone to look elsewhere. If it weren't for the fact that we spent only two nights there before heading to kona, I would have changed hotels to avoid a totally disappointing vacation.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Maggiemay0407
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Aloha Maggiemay0407, we regret to learn about your less than satisfying experience with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We are disappointed to learn about your unpleasant experience with our associates, as our team is trained to deliver excellent service to all of our guests. Please know that we take these reviews very seriously and utilize the feedback when coaching our associates. We've sent you a private message requesting for further information regarding the unpleasant encounters. We apologize for the less than satisfying experience and we appreciate your honest feedback. Mahalo.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Booked 2 rooms for my family at this property and it did not live up to SPG standards. It is an older hotel in need of upgrades. The location itself is great as it is in the heart of Waikiki just across from the Westin Moana Surfrider so everything is within walking distance.

When we arrived at the hotel the reception had a hard time finding my reservation and insisted that it might be another hotel with a similar name. Thank goodness I had the reservation number in my phone. Well he found it due to the fact he did not spell my name correctly ( even though I spelled it out and is only 3 letters long ). He then had difficulties getting my rooms arranged and the CC reader wasn't working well.

We finally made it to our room and the rooms were OK. There is no thermostat to control the room temperature. It was AC on high, low or off. The satellite TV had poor reception due to the winds I guess (not that you are going to watch a lot of television when in Hawaii). The balcony is tiny with a small table and 2 chairs squeezed in. There is a small fridge in the closet and that was nice to keep some drinks cold. The rooms have no sound insulation at ALL!! Our neighbours were loud and you can hear all their conversations. They stayed up late and got up early so basically we did not get much sleep. Received a note under the door the next day saying they need a credit card to secure the second room. I went down and the front person was quite rude saying it is necessary. I don't doubt that by why was it not taken care of when I registered in the first place. Both rooms were in my name and registered as such. She could have been nicer saying they dropped the ball and could have been more apologetic. Instead she made it feel like it was my fault that I was trying to scam them.

The hotel is very busy with big tours and there is a lot of traffic. Not much to do within the hotel itself. The pool is OK but my friends have nicer ones in their backyards.

Will not stay here again.

Room Tip: There is none
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wooski

Aloha wooski, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We regret to learn that our hotel did not meet your expectations and we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, particularly the challenges with check-in. Thank you, however for your honest feedback, as this allows our managers to work with our associates to ensure such circumstances do not reoccur. Mahalo again for your time. Aloha.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed in this hotel Oct-Nov 2013.

The main floor lobby and pool of the hotel are attractive, the price to stay here is excessive.

Forget about eating in their restaurant, it is not worth it at $39.95 for a dinner buffet with few items other than crab legs. Their other menu for daytime dining was excessively priced as well. Drinks at the bar by the pool were also expensive, without the expected quality of liquor at these prices.

There is a mandatory daily resort fee of $23.95 which gives you "Complimentary" -ha ha!! Wi-Fi internet access that is extremely limited in bandwidth. I was unable to send even a text email with their "Complimentary" internet access.

On the bright side, your resort fee does include attached parkade parking so, if you rent a vehicle, that is very good value.

The rooms are 'okay' but a little dated. The bathroom and shower have the black mold beginning to appear in the silicone sealant. -This is a normal, frequent occurance that can be managed with more attention to detailed cleaning.

This is a non-smoking hotel but some people still 'sneak' smoke within their rooms. I am an 'outdoors only' smoker and still found the smoke that drifted into my suite intolerable, to the extent that it would wake me up in the night. -I can't imagine the revulsion a non-smoker would experience.

There was a very nice view from my room, pool plus partial ocean view and Diamond head.

The rooms are not sound proof and you hear the constant automatic slamming of doors from other hotel rooms. Even conversations from the next room!!! The patio doors are also not particularly sound proof so you do hear any excessive noise that is occurring on street level, even from 9 floors up!!

I found the bed quite comfortable but the pillows were way too soft, even with 4 stacked!!

I did submit feedback to the hotel regarding my disappointments but received no reply. To me, this says they don't particularly care. Rumor has it that the hotel is scheduled for demolition in the very near future, like December or early 2014.

Location is very convenient but, if you are out after 10:00 pm, expect to see several prostitutes in the area. It didn't feel unsafe but some people are just uncomfortable with the mere presence of prostitutes in the near vicinity.

I would recommend staying somewhere else, maybe even with a kitchenette, where you can spend a little less money once in a while by making your own breakfast or whatever.

Hope this helps. I am giving a little information back, for all of the valuable info I have benefitted from on Tripadvisor in the past

Room Tip: Pool or partial ocean view, the higher the better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Aloha HandyHairy and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We regret to learn about your less than satisfying experience, however we appreciate your honest feedback. We apologize that you did not receive feedback from our hotel last year during / after your stay, as this is uncharacteristic of our team. We know that some of the pedestrians in the surrounding area can be unpleasant at night, and although our resort and our neighboring resorts do not have jurisdiction over the public sidewalks, our security teams do work very hard to prevent non-guests from loitering on our property and bothering our guests. In regards to a scheduled redevelopment, our hotel is currently scheduled for a redevelopment project to begin in late 2014 and not in early 2014 as is noted in your review. Thank you again for your time. Aloha.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This hotel is old and tired.

The staff does the best they can with what they have to work with.

It just should not have the Sheraton name on it.

The in-room internet was fine and the TV service was good. AC was OK.

The noise from the street can be unbearable,

Housekeeping was inconsistent and the bathrooms outdated.

Would have checked out if we had not pre-paid.

Room Tip: Avoid the side tower that overlooks the International Market, very noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Buytheshorts
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Aloha Buytheshorts and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We regret to learn that your stay was less than satisfying. We apologize for the inconveniences caused by the noise levels on the street. We've sent you a private message to request for your room number so that our housekeeping managers can follow-up with the housekeepers assigned to your room. Thank you again for your time. Aloha.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Whatever you do, don't stay here. I was expecting the the standards of a Sheraton but instead was shocked to find one of the worst hotels I've seen. This is not up to the standard of any of their other properties! Old, dirty, broken and infested!

Our first room was extremely musty and the A/C didn't work. The carpet was stained, there were holes in the blinds, and the bed side lights did not work. It was small and old and generally dirty. I called down about the A/C and they said I could look at another room one floor up.

The second room looked like the first but the A/C worked. It was slightly musty and the lights worked but honestly it looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80s. My roommate tweeted pictures of our first room and they called us to see at that point if we wanted to see a third room in the tower.

The third room was in the tower and seems like it was updated slightly more recently than the others. Perhaps the early 90s. This room had a weird blood-like stain in the bathroom. We took it out of frustration. Upon returning from dinner, I flicked on the lights and found a visitor on the bedside table. A COCKROACH! I tried to kill it but it escaped into the drawer. The hotel staff offered to come spray it or fumigate the room. But I have asthma and don't want to stay in a chemical fog. I just want a bug free clean nice room!

We are stuck here because we pre-paid for the two nights through an Alaska Airlines vacation special. I'll NEVER do that again. We chose it because it is a Starwood property an because we wanted our last two nights to be relaxing and tranquil and special. I'll go so far as to say this has ruined my vacation. I've never been so disappointed in a hotel of this caliber.

We also found out from the staff that it's due to be torn down next year. I just want to make sure no one else makes the mistake did. It's not worth it! The staff seemed apologetic and embarrassed but that has not made up for this mess.

Room Tip: Choose a tower room, they're more updated, but not in this century.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sophiecurtis

Aloha Sophiecurtis and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize that your recent stay with us was less than satisfactory. While it is always disappointing to learn about dissatisfying experiences, we appreciate your honesty as it allows our team to ensure action is taken to assist our guests. We apologize that our efforts did not result in a complete resolution. Thank you to you and your roommate for your handwritten thank you note to our staff for their efforts; this means a lot to the team. Mahalo.