“Needs a complete makeover to include the staff”

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Ranked #50 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Needs a complete makeover to include the staff”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I have written only one other review and that was to praise a great hotel in Seattle. This hotel on the other hand is well deserving of a poor review. This hotel is tired and beat up and needs a makeover. This alone is bad enough but to add insult to injury I found several of the staff to be down right rude. The only positive thing about this place is the location but there are plenty of hotels in the area and you I would advise anyone to look elsewhere. If it weren't for the fact that we spent only two nights there before heading to kona, I would have changed hotels to avoid a totally disappointing vacation.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Maggiemay0407
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Aloha Maggiemay0407, we regret to learn about your less than satisfying experience with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We are disappointed to learn about your unpleasant experience with our associates, as our team is trained to deliver excellent service to all of our guests. Please know that we take these reviews very seriously and utilize the feedback when coaching our associates. We've sent you a private message requesting for further information regarding the unpleasant encounters. We apologize for the less than satisfying experience and we appreciate your honest feedback. Mahalo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Booked 2 rooms for my family at this property and it did not live up to SPG standards. It is an older hotel in need of upgrades. The location itself is great as it is in the heart of Waikiki just across from the Westin Moana Surfrider so everything is within walking distance.

When we arrived at the hotel the reception had a hard time finding my reservation and insisted that it might be another hotel with a similar name. Thank goodness I had the reservation number in my phone. Well he found it due to the fact he did not spell my name correctly ( even though I spelled it out and is only 3 letters long ). He then had difficulties getting my rooms arranged and the CC reader wasn't working well.

We finally made it to our room and the rooms were OK. There is no thermostat to control the room temperature. It was AC on high, low or off. The satellite TV had poor reception due to the winds I guess (not that you are going to watch a lot of television when in Hawaii). The balcony is tiny with a small table and 2 chairs squeezed in. There is a small fridge in the closet and that was nice to keep some drinks cold. The rooms have no sound insulation at ALL!! Our neighbours were loud and you can hear all their conversations. They stayed up late and got up early so basically we did not get much sleep. Received a note under the door the next day saying they need a credit card to secure the second room. I went down and the front person was quite rude saying it is necessary. I don't doubt that by why was it not taken care of when I registered in the first place. Both rooms were in my name and registered as such. She could have been nicer saying they dropped the ball and could have been more apologetic. Instead she made it feel like it was my fault that I was trying to scam them.

The hotel is very busy with big tours and there is a lot of traffic. Not much to do within the hotel itself. The pool is OK but my friends have nicer ones in their backyards.

Will not stay here again.

Room Tip: There is none
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wooski
Aloha wooski, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We regret to learn that our hotel did not meet your expectations and we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, particularly the challenges with check-in. Thank you, however for your honest feedback, as this allows our managers to work with our associates to ensure such circumstances do not reoccur. Mahalo again for your time. Aloha.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed in this hotel Oct-Nov 2013.

The main floor lobby and pool of the hotel are attractive, the price to stay here is excessive.

Forget about eating in their restaurant, it is not worth it at $39.95 for a dinner buffet with few items other than crab legs. Their other menu for daytime dining was excessively priced as well. Drinks at the bar by the pool were also expensive, without the expected quality of liquor at these prices.

There is a mandatory daily resort fee of $23.95 which gives you "Complimentary" -ha ha!! Wi-Fi internet access that is extremely limited in bandwidth. I was unable to send even a text email with their "Complimentary" internet access.

On the bright side, your resort fee does include attached parkade parking so, if you rent a vehicle, that is very good value.

The rooms are 'okay' but a little dated. The bathroom and shower have the black mold beginning to appear in the silicone sealant. -This is a normal, frequent occurance that can be managed with more attention to detailed cleaning.

This is a non-smoking hotel but some people still 'sneak' smoke within their rooms. I am an 'outdoors only' smoker and still found the smoke that drifted into my suite intolerable, to the extent that it would wake me up in the night. -I can't imagine the revulsion a non-smoker would experience.

There was a very nice view from my room, pool plus partial ocean view and Diamond head.

The rooms are not sound proof and you hear the constant automatic slamming of doors from other hotel rooms. Even conversations from the next room!!! The patio doors are also not particularly sound proof so you do hear any excessive noise that is occurring on street level, even from 9 floors up!!

I found the bed quite comfortable but the pillows were way too soft, even with 4 stacked!!

I did submit feedback to the hotel regarding my disappointments but received no reply. To me, this says they don't particularly care. Rumor has it that the hotel is scheduled for demolition in the very near future, like December or early 2014.

Location is very convenient but, if you are out after 10:00 pm, expect to see several prostitutes in the area. It didn't feel unsafe but some people are just uncomfortable with the mere presence of prostitutes in the near vicinity.

I would recommend staying somewhere else, maybe even with a kitchenette, where you can spend a little less money once in a while by making your own breakfast or whatever.

Hope this helps. I am giving a little information back, for all of the valuable info I have benefitted from on Tripadvisor in the past

Room Tip: Pool or partial ocean view, the higher the better.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Aloha HandyHairy and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We regret to learn about your less than satisfying experience, however we appreciate your honest feedback. We apologize that you did not receive feedback from our hotel last year during / after your stay, as this is uncharacteristic of our team. We know that some of the pedestrians in the surrounding area can be unpleasant at night, and although our resort and our neighboring resorts do not have jurisdiction over the public sidewalks, our security teams do work very hard to prevent non-guests from loitering on our property and bothering our guests. In regards to a scheduled redevelopment, our hotel is currently scheduled for a redevelopment project to begin in late 2014 and not in early 2014 as is noted in your review. Thank you again for your time. Aloha.
Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This hotel is old and tired.

The staff does the best they can with what they have to work with.

It just should not have the Sheraton name on it.

The in-room internet was fine and the TV service was good. AC was OK.

The noise from the street can be unbearable,

Housekeeping was inconsistent and the bathrooms outdated.

Would have checked out if we had not pre-paid.

Room Tip: Avoid the side tower that overlooks the International Market, very noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Buytheshorts
sheratonpk, Online Marketing & PR Coordinator at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Aloha Buytheshorts and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. We regret to learn that your stay was less than satisfying. We apologize for the inconveniences caused by the noise levels on the street. We've sent you a private message to request for your room number so that our housekeeping managers can follow-up with the housekeepers assigned to your room. Thank you again for your time. Aloha.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Whatever you do, don't stay here. I was expecting the the standards of a Sheraton but instead was shocked to find one of the worst hotels I've seen. This is not up to the standard of any of their other properties! Old, dirty, broken and infested!

Our first room was extremely musty and the A/C didn't work. The carpet was stained, there were holes in the blinds, and the bed side lights did not work. It was small and old and generally dirty. I called down about the A/C and they said I could look at another room one floor up.

The second room looked like the first but the A/C worked. It was slightly musty and the lights worked but honestly it looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80s. My roommate tweeted pictures of our first room and they called us to see at that point if we wanted to see a third room in the tower.

The third room was in the tower and seems like it was updated slightly more recently than the others. Perhaps the early 90s. This room had a weird blood-like stain in the bathroom. We took it out of frustration. Upon returning from dinner, I flicked on the lights and found a visitor on the bedside table. A COCKROACH! I tried to kill it but it escaped into the drawer. The hotel staff offered to come spray it or fumigate the room. But I have asthma and don't want to stay in a chemical fog. I just want a bug free clean nice room!

We are stuck here because we pre-paid for the two nights through an Alaska Airlines vacation special. I'll NEVER do that again. We chose it because it is a Starwood property an because we wanted our last two nights to be relaxing and tranquil and special. I'll go so far as to say this has ruined my vacation. I've never been so disappointed in a hotel of this caliber.

We also found out from the staff that it's due to be torn down next year. I just want to make sure no one else makes the mistake did. It's not worth it! The staff seemed apologetic and embarrassed but that has not made up for this mess.

Room Tip: Choose a tower room, they're more updated, but not in this century.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sophiecurtis
Aloha Sophiecurtis and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize that your recent stay with us was less than satisfactory. While it is always disappointing to learn about dissatisfying experiences, we appreciate your honesty as it allows our team to ensure action is taken to assist our guests. We apologize that our efforts did not result in a complete resolution. Thank you to you and your roommate for your handwritten thank you note to our staff for their efforts; this means a lot to the team. Mahalo.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel over the last several years and I'm done with it. I liked the location and the fact that most (if not all) all of the rooms have balconies. But after my most recent stay, I'm done with this property. I'm a loyal Starwood member but if I can't stay at a different affiliated property, I'll stay at the Marriott (see my review). While the actual room was OK, the bathroom was in disrepair. They should be embarrassed at charging $200+ a night for a room in that condition. I'll admit I'm terribly annoyed by resort fees, but at the very least I expect to be able to use the services provided for by the fee. I think it's "amusing" that as airlines unbundle fees and charge for those that passengers "want," hotels are bundling fees together that I do not want and make it a mandatory fee. The only "bundled" fee I cared about was the Internet access (which I can get for free because of my status at most every other Starwood property but not here). I had 3 wifi enabled devices with me, and was only able to access the Internet once in 5 days for about 30 minutes before it dropped off. But I know my devices worked (one excuse the hotel used for my inability to connect) was that I was always able to connect in the lower level public areas of the hotel. I asked the front desk for assistance at least 3 times for this and another service issue and was met with either enthusiastic offers of assistance to indifference, but it didn't matter, no service commitment was followed through on (and the one time I asked to speak to a manager he/she was not available). Literally they would promise assistance within 15 minutes and an hour later I would still be waiting in the room with no help (and no note or voicemail apologizing and offering assistance). I started my stay at the Courtyard by Marriott (because no Starwood property had availability) and wish I'd stayed there. Give this property a pass. Oh, and there are prostitutes at the southeast corner of the property in the evening near Kalakau Avenue, annoying for guests that don't want to be bothered with that attention.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, but if you do, ask for a view of Diamond Head.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank cadence8
Aloha cadence8 and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We regret to learn that you're most recent stay with us was less than satisfying. We apologize for the challenges you experienced with the wifi service in your room. Please know that our Starwood Waikiki Director of Technology has resolved challenges with the wifi routers in our resort. Thank you for your honest feedback regarding responsiveness and follow-through by our associates, as this allows our team to ensure proper coaching takes place to improve this area. We understand the frustration involved with the pedestrians in the surrounding area. Our hotel and our neighboring hotels unfortunately do not have jurisdiction over the public sidewalks, however our security teams work hard to ensure unregistered guests do not loiter on our properties. Again, we apologize for the less than satisfying experience. Mahalo for your time and honest feedback. Aloha.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Check in was very friendly and efficient. Was sent to the wrong room first but this was rectified quickly. Our room was very clean and serviced beautifully. Food at the hotel was lovely, however there were 1 or 2 not very friendly dining room staff. Actually, the service around the pool area in general was not as good as I would expect. Marsha at the Travel desk was awesome. Booked our day trips efficiently and was lovely to my children. She even took the time to give them a talk about Pearl Harbour. Thanks Marsha! You really prepared them well for that day trip! Had no problem at all getting poolside chairs and never experienced queues for the lift. Would never, ever again go to the medical centre attached to the hotel. My daughter had a throat infection and they tried to sell me antibiotics for $250!!! After a lecture from me, they returned 10 minutes later with $30 antibiotics. Disgraceful!! Bathrooms need renovating and paying a resort fee is a joke. It's in a great central location and we were very happy staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Helen E and thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us. We're happy to hear that many aspects of your vacation with us were pleasurable and we thank you for your kind notes regarding Marsha at our Tour Desk; we always enjoy hearing about our associates providing wonderful experiences. We apologize for the challenge you experienced with Straub Doctor's on Call, as we know this type of situation is not ideal. We unfortunately do not have input on their fee structure as they're a separately operating business from our hotel. Please know however that we appreciate your feedback and have shared it with the team. Mahalo and thank you for choosing the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel.