Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
  • Restaurant
Stay Hotel Waikiki(Honolulu)
  • Breakfast included
5,495 results
All reviewsbeach barthe banyan treerocking chairstower wingbeautiful hoteloldest hotelwaikiki beachheavenly bedolder partoriginal buildingocean viewold hawaiidiamond headnew toweran umbrellaheart of waikikiour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We spent 10 nights at this beautiful hotel in May with my family (2 adults and 3 children, ages 8, 4 and 1). This was our third visit to Waikiki and we decided to try the Moana Surfrider (on the previous two occasions we had stayed at the Royal Hawaiian).
Our first impressions upon arrival were not that great (no leis) – I think because it is such a busy hotel the guests can get a bit lost however the hotel itself looks very impressive.
We had booked a Deluxe Ocean View room in the Tower. However as we had just come from a resort in Maui where we had stayed in a suite we decided to ask upon check in whether they had a suite available for us. We were happy to obviously pay more for the suite. The gentleman who checked us in (I think his name was Steve) was fantastic and very accommodating. He managed to find us a suite, which we were able to check into the following day.
Our suite was beautifully appointed, not a very large suite but very nice all the same. The tower had been recently renovated so it had a nice clean modern feel to it. Our suite had two balconies one right in the front which overlooked the ocean with an amazing view and the other on the side of the suite which was next to the Outrigger where the view was not so great.
The whole hotel was beautiful, small pool but you are right on Waikiki beach so we never used the pool. We rented chairs on the beach each day, which were $50 for 2 loungers or you could have 4 chairs. Service on the beach was excellent however the food was average and there needed to be more variety and of course was on the expensive side. It was nice when they came on the beach and served complimentary fruit and icy poles. We had breakfast included in our rate and I must admit they had the best pancakes ever. The maître d at breakfast – there were two older gentleman and a lady with reddish hair could do with some customer service training skills – you were lucky to get a smile and a hello even after spending 10 nights there. Definitely not the right people to have greeting you as they do not leave a good impression. The staff serving breakfast were all quite good and housekeeping was excellent.
We had Beach Club access included in our room rate (part of the suite upgrade) but I would not pay for it. Breakfast in the main restaurant was heaps better and dinner there was mostly appetizers and tailored to the Japanese. Unless of course you are a big drinker then you may get value for money but we certainly were not.
I was however disappointed with this hotel whereby on one afternoon I went back to my room to shower my youngest son. I had just finished showering him and was just about to jump in the shower myself when I heard a knock at the door. Before I had had a chance to put my clothes back on and walk to the door a couple of handymen were about to let themselves in. Luckily I had the hotel door lock on else they would have let themselves in. They apparently were there to fix the shower?!? I told them that I was about to use the shower and to come back. I was a little concerned as they did not show any ID nor was I ever told by the hotel someone was coming up to fix our shower.
Right out the front of the hotel is a trolley stop (outside the Rimowa luggage shop) which takes to straight to Ala Moana shopping centre which is a must visit for anyone that loves shopping. Make sure you use this stop not the next one which is outside the Duke statue as that one is always very busy and you’ll be lucky to get a seat.
The hotel it right on the main strip which means that it is always very busy and people use it as thoroughfare to get to the beach which we didn’t like. We prefer quieter type hotels like the Royal Hawaiian – even thought it is still situated on the main strip it has the beautiful gardens in front of it so does not get the same thoroughfare. However I found the service here better than the Royal Hawaiian. We also loved the rocking chairs that were in front of the hotel as it was nice to sit at night and watch the people walking past. There was also great entertainment (live music) in the evenings which was great but I guess it all depends on what you like. Travelling with a young family we prefer quieter hotels.
A very pleasant stay at this beautiful hotel just a shame that it gets so busy.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view else you'll be looking onto the neighbouring hotels
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Aloha,
Mahalo for your comments and sharing your experience with us. We are disappointed to hear of the encounter described in your review regarding someone who arrived at your guestroom to repair the shower. Your diligence in utilizing the safety latch while in your guestroom is appreciated, as the safety and security of our guests is our most important priority. Our security procedures also advise guests to check with management before admitting any repairmen or strangers into your guestroom. On brighter notes, we are happy to hear that our Guest Service Agents were able to accommodate your request to stay in one of our Tower Suites that feature modern amenities and amazing views of Waikiki Beach. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with your dining experiences and enjoyed refreshing moments in the Banyan Courtyard listening to the local performers while lounging in the rocking chairs around the veranda. We hope that your experiences with us helped to create fond Moana Memories of your special stay in paradise. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa on your next visit to Honolulu.
Thank you!

Reviewed August 20, 2014

. . .Was staying at this hotel. It is beautiful, comfortable, full of the fragrances of flowers, and the staff are exceptionally courteous. My fiancé and I had the best breakfasts of our lives under the banyan tree in the guest dining area and fell asleep to the sound of the waves every night of our stay. The only issue we had (and is easily resolved by going out on the town), was that there were no vegan options for dinner at all. We would still go there again in a heartbeat. No other hotel can match this place!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Aloha Suzanna,
It is wonderful to hear that your stay at the Moana was “one of the best experiences of your life.” We are delighted that you and your fiancé were pleased with the service provided by our associates and enjoyed the comforts of your guestroom and your dining experiences for breakfast along the veranda in the Banyan Courtyard. We appreciate your feedback regarding vegan menu items and will forward your review to our Chef and restaurant manager. When you return for another amazing stay, we recommend spending a day at the Moana Lani Spa to indulge in tranquil rejuvenation. A traditional Hawaiian lomi lomi massage or facial is sure to leave you feeling refreshed and well. We thank you for your review and await your return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

I enjoyed a quick stay at this resort as I was there for business. The staff was great and the location was amazing. I did not go to the pool as the resort is right on the beach. The location is impeccable as you have many restaurants and tons of shopping around the hotel. The hotel room was very clean and comfortable with a great view of the beach and a wonderful lanai. The food at the bar was great and the drinks were really good as well. The bartenders are all very friendly and happy. I always love Westin hotels and this one was just great with the always comfortable bedding. I would definitely come back and next time with the family as this looks like a wonderful resort for families and saw a lot of children there.

Room Tip: The tower rooms were very nice with great views of the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Tara S
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Aloha Tara,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to hear that your last stay at the Moana was wonderful. Your comments truly reflect our mission at the Moana – to provide our guests with personalized experiences and share the aloha spirit in this magical, timeless setting. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with your dining experiences, the comforts and amenities of your guestroom, and felt welcome and at home at the Moana with the service provided by our associates. We look forward to welcoming your family to the Moana on your next visit. We proudly offer daily cultural activities, such as lei making classes or ukulele and hula lessons, which are sure to be fun for the whole family. We look forward to your return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

I have stayed at Westin hotels around the world and enjoy the upscale rooms and service that most of them have to offer during a stay. However, I would rate the Moana Surfrider as the top Westin I have ever visited. The rooms were perfectly appointed and the location to the beach was wonderful for the family. However, the best part of it was the largest negative that everyone feels when they stay at any hotel in Waikiki......one feels like they are at Disneyland and packed in like cattle no matter what hotel you visit. The Surfrider is builat in a way that the crowds seemed to always be minimal, even in the lobby. You felt like you walked back in time to a quieter period where you could step out on the great porches and enjoy one of their rocking chairs they have on both the front and back veranda's. The hotel is been maintained to give you an elegant comfort without being pressed into crowded elevators or hallways. The pool was the only overcrowded area, but with the beach 5 feet away, we simply skipped the pool and enjoyed the ocean. I have stayed at every other Starwood property in Waikiki, inlcuding the Pink Lady, and never felt this relaxed or "kept sheltered" from the hoards of tourists found in the other properties. This was the most relaxing trip to that island I ever experienced.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank islandbreezliving

Aloha,
Mahalo for your kind comments. We are happy to have exceeded your expectations on your last stay at the Moana and are humbled to be rated as the “top Westin you have ever visited.” Your experiences exemplify the Moana’s motto, “First Lady, First Class,” as well as fulfill Westin’s mission to be a partner in our guests’ well-being, ensuring that when they are with us, they leave feeling better than when they arrived. It is wonderful to hear that your stay was full of refreshing moments and Moana Memories that left you feeling renewed, relaxed, and well. On your next visit, head down to the Banyan Courtyard in the late afternoon, lounge in a rocking chair on the veranda, sip on your favorite cocktail, and get ready for an exhilarating view of a Hawaiian sunset. We appreciate your review and look forward to making your next stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, just as relaxing as the last.
Thank you!

Reviewed August 18, 2014

It was our honeymoon, June 2014. Shower head popped off and left a big lump on my head, I was in pain for remaining trip,trying to cope with pain. We canned our hike up Diamond Head. No reimbursement!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne O

Aloha Joanne,
We sincerely apologize for your experience during your stay at the Moana. The safety and well-being of our guests is our most important priority. We are deeply concerned with this matter and would like to personally address your comments. Please email us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com with the details of your experience. Thank you very much for reaching out to us, as it allows us to take immediate action to ensure the safety of all of our guests.