“Gorgeous hotel on Crowded Beach”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My daughter and I celebrated her high school graduation with 5 nights at the Moana Surfrider. It is an absolutely gorgeous old hotel, lovingly and beautifully restored. IF you must go to Waikiki, which I would never do again, this hotel is THE place to stay. As for Waikiki, this location can't be beat.
Reasons you should stay here:
-It's the most beautiful hotel in all of Waikiki. Situated right on the beach (and there aren't that many that are right on the beach), you can reserve/rent comfy lounge chairs and umbrellas right on the beach (which come with a fruit cup, 2 cold bottles of water, and non-stop service). They even provide you with a service button to call for your waiter or request your check. Sure beats waiting!
-The food at this hotel is top notch. We ate dinner in the Beach House and had one of the best meals ever. The breakfast buffet is fantastic. The beach bar has great food, also. Drinks are yummy and tropical! We also ordered room service one night that was good and very fast.
-There is entertainment outside by the beach bar all the time. Lovely hula dancers and Hawaiian music really gets you in the spirit of Hawaii. This hotel is true Old Hawaii, and the entertainment enhances the experience.
-The lobby is beautiful. Lots of seating, open air, and wine service. Rocking chairs grace the long front porch and huge back veranda.
-Coffee and tea were provided in the room, which I always appreciate. The ice machine is easy to use and at the end of the hallway. There is also a nice sized refrigerator in the room.
-Bed is very comfortable. (Although they say the bed is a King, I measured, and it was 2 feet less wide than my King bed at home.)
-Hot water is plentiful and fast.
-The spa was one of the best we've used at a hotel. I had The Best reflexology treatment I've ever had with LaiLoni.
-Lots of plugs for devices, even on the desk!
-Our room was very quiet as the AC blew non-stop. I think I heard outside noise once.
-The Staff. The staff at the Moana Surfrider is above average in every sense. If every hotel had a consistently fantastic staff as the Moana Surfrider, hotels would find themselves booked every day of the year. Across the board, every single person working there goes out of their way to make you enjoy your stay. Check-in was fast and easy. I had requested early check-in, and they honored that (thank you very much)! Special shout outs to Colin and Hays beachside, and William in the Beach House. Ya'll really enhanced our stay!

Now, a few reasons you might want to rethink your destination. Notice I did not say hotel. Meaning, if you are going to Waikiki, this hotel is the best hotel. However, I must say I thought Waikiki was not a desirable location.
-Waikiki is crazzzzy crowded. By 2:00 everyday, we went inside. People were literally on top of us.
-The homeless are out of control in Waikiki, in my opinion. Many seem to be quite mentally ill, and we were concerned for our safety a few times. One guy walks around the main drag there outside the hotel making loud weird noises, and often gets right up in your face to do so. The City of Honolulu really needs to deal with this sad problem.
-If you are adverse to nonstop weddings, and the picture taking involved with weddings, this will not be the place for you. We counted 19 weddings at the hotel in the 5 days we were there. While I thought it was sweet, it did become annoying at a point when the bridal party portraits take up large areas.

I truly hate to recommend not going to Waikiki because clearly lots of people love being packed in on a beach like sardines, but if you do, you must stay at the Moana Surfrider.

Room Tip: We had a city view room in the Diamond wing. We only had a window. I wish we had had a balcony for...
2  Thank TexasTandE
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Aloha,
Mahalo for sharing your experience with us. It is wonderful to hear that your stay at the Moana was enjoyable. Your experiences, from dining at the beachhouse to lounging under a beach umbrella to indulging in a rejuvenating spa treatment, truly represent the Moana’s motto, “First Lady, First Class.” We are also pleased to hear of your personal experiences with our associates, especially Colin, Hays, and William, who all helped to make you feel welcome and at home at the Moana. Our associates pride themselves on providing personalized service with aloha and helping our guests to create Moana Memories of their special stays in paradise. Congratulations to your daughter on celebrating her high school graduation! We hope to welcome you back to Waikiki for another wonderful stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.

There are newer reviews for Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Recently visited Waikiki and stayed for 4 nights at the Moana Surfrider. Such a beautiful old fashioned hotel with a great ambience. Has been renovated very tastefully and the service from the staff was always friendly and attentive. The hotel is in a fantastic position on the beach and my husband and I stayed in a lovely oceanfront room right on the front. Although the room was smallish and the bathroom tiny it was still well appointed. The rocking chairs on which to sit and look at the view were a really nice touch. It was lovely each day to come back from the beach and sit at the bar under the banyan tree and enjoy a drink and the view. Although the hotel is a bit pricey, if you can afford to stay there I would highly recommend it. We left very relaxed and happy.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front with the little balconies are beautiful and the view is unbelievable.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kerrie H

Aloha Kerrie,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Moana on your visit to Waikiki. We are glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, especially the breathtaking ocean views from both your guestroom and the Beach Bar in the Banyan Courtyard. The two rocking chairs in your guestroom are an element of days gone by – we are delighted that you enjoyed the views from your lanai and relaxed to the soothing sound of the ocean waves. On your next visit, join us at the Moana Lani Spa for a rejuvenating spa treatment. As Waikiki’s only oceanfront spa, the Moana Lani Spa offers traditional and innovative healing treatments for the mind, body, and spirit in an oceanfront setting that is sure to inspire your soul. We appreciate your review and look forward to making your next stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, just a relaxing as the last.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed at the Moana Surfrider from June 23rd until July 2nd 2014. The hotel is beautiful, well maintained and in a central location of Waikiki beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was always well cared for. However, based on price I don't know that I would stay here again. Last year we stayed next door at the Outrigger and enjoyed that much better. I was disappointed in the Moana's actives desk and self service launder mat. The launder mat was in the basement and consisted of two washers and dryers. The Moana also seems to cater more to the foreign traveler. Again, there was nothing wrong with the hotel, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Aloha Danielle,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is unfortunate that we were unable to exceed your expectations on your last stay at the Moana. As the first hotel built on Waikiki Beach, the “First Lady of Waikiki” continues to charm our guests with unique Hawaiian hospitality and the timeless beauty of a historic property, setting the Moana apart from neighboring resorts. The Moana’s location on Waikiki Beach, as well as the exceptional personalized service our associates provide, inspire our guests to return to the Moana time and time again. We hope to welcome you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa for a rejuvenating and enjoyable experience.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I honeymooned at the moana last year and we loved it so much that we decided to come back again this year.

Unfortunately there was an issue with our booking that has made the experience bearable, but not up to the level of expectations I have been accustomed to.

The specifics - we tried in vain to book a package that was amenable to our budget (banyan city view) but when we booked, we were informed that the only available rooms were "Banyan Classic Ocean View with Club access" this was a significant upgrade, but since we love the Moana, we splurged.

Upon arrival, we were informed that we were booked for a city view room. Nicole the front desk clerk was more than helpful in resolving this issue once we presented the confirmation information to her.

We were checked into the room, but we're informed that we would not have club access. Disappointing, but she assured it would be resolved in the morning. It's still the first night so we will see what happens tomorrow.

The next strange thing is finding paperwork (valet reciept, guest parking permit, misc) in our room for another guest. The first logical thought would be that it was from a prior stay, but coincidentally the paperwork was for the same stay duration as ours.

We went back down and were assured by Nicole that the other guest was not checked into our room, but the presence of the paperwork is still a head scratcher. Needless to say, the deadbolts in full effect tonight.

We will update as the trip evolves.

The room is a bit small, but expected for a hotel this age. The only other disappointing amenity missing is the lack of a tub. I'll survive, but the room we had last time was bigger, less expensive, and had a tub as well as a sitting area by the window. Sometimes less is more.

PS - moana staff will try to point the finger at Pleasant Holidays, but it should be known that moana itself uses their system on their own website (error pages were served up by pleasant holidays) so not sure what went wrong.

If given the chance to book again, I'd probably forego the club access and premium pricing for this amenity. How much can free cheese and wine cost anyways?

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Aloha Christopher,
Mahalo for your comments. We apologize for the difficulties you encountered upon arrival to the Moana, but are happy to hear that Nicole at the Front Desk was able to resolve the matter and allow you to settle into a guestroom to begin your stay in paradise. It is also regrettable to hear of your disappointment with the features and amenities of your guestroom. The unique layout of the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, offers our guests a variety of accommodations: charming, intimate settings in the historic Banyan Wing, unique Hawaiian artwork and views of bustling Honolulu in the Diamond Wing, and spacious, fully furnished lanais showcasing spectacular ocean views in the modern Tower Wing. We hope that the remainder of your stay is filled with refreshing moments for you to create Moana Memories of your special stay at the “First Lady of Waikiki.”

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Moana Surfrider is a beautiful, fabulous, breathtaking Resort. We stayed June 26th to July 1st. This resort has everything which made it very hard for us to leave and attend other planned excursions away from the hotel.The service was grand throughout the entire hotel from the time we arrived, departed and ever day in between. Our Banyan Classic Ocean View room was...ah breathtaking! The bed was super comfortable. We paid extra to have daily access to the oceanfront Beach Club which allowed us to rejuvenate and relax, and it was well worth it. We enjoyed the healthy deluxe continental breakfast each morning after a great workout at the gym, and in the evenings the inclusive wine, beer and appetizers. What we loved most about this beautiful historical hotel is that it is located right on the beach and it is in walking distance of everything, restaurants, shopping, etc. This wasn't our first time to Hawaii but it was certainly one of our most enjoyable thanks to the Moana Surfrider Westin Resort & Spa.

Room Tip: Our Banyan Classic Ocean View Room was nice and quiet with the sound of the ocean echoing throughout...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Aloha Colette,
Mahalo for your kind review. We are delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Moana. From the “First Lady of Waikiki’s” timeless beauty and breathtaking views to the personalized service with aloha provided by our associates, your experience at the Moana personifies our credo, “First Lady, First Class.” It is also wonderful to hear that you were pleased with the offerings of the Beach Club lounge and felt relaxed and rejuvenated within the facility. We hope that the Moana Memories of your special stay in paradise will be fondly remembered. We look forward to making your return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, just as fabulous and relaxing as the last.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Rooms are clean and well serviced, staff are friendly and always ready to help. We came in June/July and stayed on Maui for the most of our vacation where the water was crystal clear and not as crowded. On family holidays you need to spend as much time with the family as possible, but if business calls you need a fast and reliable internet...Moana needs to seriously look at their service provider, drop out is regular....and as always, right in the middle of a critical transmission.
We stayed in a suit with connecting room, and with that rate we had a free umbrella and chairs on the beach, but you could only book one in advance if you paid 60$, some reward as all where pre booked by cheaper apartments. Swimming pool is shoulder to shoulder with other guests. As I said...good for a one to two day stop over for shopping, but not a family holiday....go to the outer islands.

1  Thank Alexander A

Aloha Alexander,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback regarding the issues you encountered with the wireless internet service and will share your comments with our management team. As for the popular beach and pool area, it is unfortunate that you were not able to enjoy this area more during your stay. In addition to these facilities, guests are welcome to utilize the dry sauna, detoxifying steam room, and whirlpool Jacuzzi in the Moana Lani Spa by booking a spa service or purchasing a day pass. We are also happy to hear that you were pleased with your guestroom accommodations and the service provided by our associates. We hope to welcome you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa on your next visit to Honolulu.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed in Moana Surfrider 4 years ago for the first time and I was very impressed with the location and overall service. I had to go back with my family to show them how great this hotel is among all it's neighbouring hotels. But I was badly disappointed and I will never go back to this hotel and I share my bad experience with others in this regard.
The Hotel was too busy and we had hard time finding seats anywhere in the hotel facilities such as the beach, the pool and the lounge areas. Also, the hotel staff were not helpful and did not make any effort to meet our needs or answer our concerns. We had several encounters that made us feel they don't care to provide any service to us or please us.
For example, one day I asked the front dest to speak to the housekeeping manager, because I was very pleased with the way my room was cleaned that morning and I wanted to acknowledge the housekeeper for the great job she did. He pretended that he is making a note for the manager to contact me which never happened. I asked again and nothing happened again.

The other incident was when my daughter ordered drinks by the beach while she did not have her ID with her. Next thing we know was the manager showed up with two scary security guards asking for the ID and they didn't leave until my daughter went to her room and got her ID for them. I understand their rules but the way they treated us who were there to just enjoying the beach was very poor. There are many ways to find out if the guests are under age for drinking such as referring to the guest lists in their records instead of creating such a ridiculous scene and not even apologizing for their unprofessional behaviour. Who carries valuables when using the beach and the ocean???!!
Also, when we checked out at 12 while our flight was at 8pm, our WIFI was disconnected. When my husband asked the front desk to extend our WIFI for the long waiting hours till we go to the airport, they suggested that instead using internet we should go out and enjoy the outdoors!!!

I think they are too busy to see their real purpose of having a hotel.

Room Tip: The new tower has better room but partial view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Aloha,
Mahalo for sharing your experience. We regret that we were unable to exceed your expectations on your last stay at the Moana and sincerely apologize for the challenges you encountered. The experiences you describe are not representative of our Westin standards. We would like to personally address the concerns mentioned in your review. Please email a detailed review with your name and dates of stay to 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com, so that we may follow up on this matter. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to improve upon the Westin experience for all of our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to regain your confidence and welcome you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa to experience the true meaning of our motto, “First Lady, First Class.”