“Wonderful”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed at the Moana Surfrider for 4 days. The staff and hotel were great. Very clean, comfortable and wonderful location. We stayed here probably 20 years ago, and I have recommended it several times since. So we decided to try it again and it did not disappoint. The breakfast that was included with our room was much more than just a free breakfast, it was excellent. Our room had a small bathroom but that would be the only thing that was not to our liking. So if you're going to Oahu, don't pass on this historical building, you won't be disappointed. It's a great place

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Aloha Patti,
Mahalo for your kind review. We are so glad that you returned to stay with us after 20 years. It is always a pleasure to welcome our guests back to the Moana time and time again. It is also wonderful to hear that you were pleased with your breakfast on the veranda and enjoyed the historical ambiance and charm of the “First Lady of Waikiki.” We hope that your experiences with us created fond Moana Memories of your special stay in Hawaii. We look forward to making your next stay at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, just as special as the last.
Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel was stunning. I was upgraded to the renovated tower with an ocean view. The room itself was a little small, but the glass opened up to a breath taking view, and there were two lounge chairs to enjoy the sound of waves. The finishes throughout the hotel were beautiful, the lobby was warm and breezy, and the restaurant on the beach was tasty. I am returning with my family later this month for a week and a half stay... I cant wait!

Room Tip: ask for the renovated tower
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Aloha Genevieve,
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Moana, especially the amazing ocean views from your guestroom in the Tower Wing. Listening to the soothing sounds of the ocean waves and watching a Hawaiian sunrise or sunset over the pristine Pacific Ocean are truly magical experiences. It is wonderful to hear that you will be returning with your family soon. We highly recommend spending the day under one of our private beach umbrellas, which are available for full or half day rentals. The choice is yours - lounge on the warm Hawaiian sand or under the cool shade of your private umbrella, both are perfect for your special stay in paradise! We look forward to welcoming you and your family to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, for a relaxing and inspiring stay.
Maui
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

I live here and have always loved this hotel. Yet, as each year goes by I find the management finds new and inventive ways to do less, offer less, and usurp each customers dollar for the exclusive benefit of shareholders. The rooms in the historic section of the hotel have exceptional bones, but the people in charge of them have imported the cheapest particle board like fake wood furnishings of the ugliest and most degrading type for this property it just reeks of uneducated youthful management abandonment.

Back in the day you'd arrive to a lei greeting. No more. Pineapple juice and a cold towel at reception... No more.

Now the requisite $30+ dollar. "Resort fee" to buy down the grossly marked up parking charges and the sleaziest tactics to keep guests in the lowest grade rooms possible are the norm.

If you want to lie out on the beach under a hotel umbrella the upcharge is $100 and expect a 17-22% service charge to be tacked on so you are rebilled the employee wages too.

After staying here for decades, the best they could do for my wife and I room-wise was a view of other rooms, and an ocean view from the bathroom if we craned our necks.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
14 Thank olindacat
Aloha,
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate that we were unable to exceed your expectations on your recent stay with us. At the Moana, our mission is to provide a timeless setting with genuine aloha and personalized experiences, so it is disappointing to hear that your time with us was less than perfect. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with our management team, as it allows us to improve on the Westin experience for all of our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to regain your confidence and welcome you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, to experience the true meaning of our motto, “First Lady, First Class.”
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

The Moana Surfrider by Westin, coined the “First Lady of Waikiki”, was the first hotel in Waikiki. Opening it’s doors in 1901. This property went through a renovation a few years back, and mostly kept it’s traditional style and feel. Definitely a nice place to stay in Waikiki. It is located in centre Waikiki, surrounded by other hotels such as the Outrigger Waikiki and Sheraton Princess Kaiulani.

I check-ed in around 7pm, and was given a complimentary room upgrade to a partial ocean view room. One of it’s main disadvantages as a hotel in Waikiki was seen during my drive to the hotel, as the hotel does not have a parking lot, it uses it’s sister property lot, Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, which was right across the street.

A slight note, if you follow your GPS device and go straight the Moana Surfrider, and pull into the hotel. You will be greeted by a valet. Now, it’s your choice whether or not you want to go with the valet or not, but you will find it difficult to turn left into Sheraton Princess Kaulani’s parking lot if you chose the later option. As there is less than a quarter block distance from the hotel to your intersection turn, which also requires you to cross four lanes of traffic. A detour is almost necessary. You are better off typing Sheraton Princess Kaulani’s address into your GPS to make sure you get to the parking lot entrance. Exiting the parking lot requires you to go through Sheraton Pricess Kaulani’s lobby (which is in great need of renovation), and cross the street before reaching the Moana Surfrider. For those with disability, there is no ADA access (elevator) in this particular parking lot, which is kind of absurd.

It was almost 11pm that I decided to go straight to bed, which, I noticed, was full of ants roaming around. After killing a few with my fingers, I did not notice any more and went straight to sleep (too tired to call Front Desk to deal with it). I did briefly notify Front Desk during the second morning about my incident, and they promptly apologized and send housekeeping up. I even got a note from the management team apologizing and “compensating” me with two small chocolates. For those who travel a lot, this is a rather…crappy compensation, especially for an SPG Platinum member. Some on frequent traveller forums even said it was unacceptable. However, seen as I am on vacation and want to relax, I could not bother with trying to aim for a higher compensation. As long there are no more ants, I’m good to go.

In terms of the hotel room, it was quite pleasure and sufficient enough for my needs, large bathroom, and great view from the room. However, I would have preferred a higher level (I was on the 3rd floor). Nothing special to mention, though.

To sum it up, this is a wonderful hotel to stay in if you don’t mind the busy streets and inconvenience with parking. I would stay here in a heart beat if my stay were free. But I’m a person who prefers less people on the beach and a quieter environment, seems like Modern Honolulu (from my review last year) is a better choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank sudosandwich
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Aloha,
Mahalo for your review. We sincerely apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. The conditions you described of your room accommodations are not representative of our Westin standards. We are glad to hear that our housekeeping associates were able to address the issue promptly so that you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay. Upon arrival, valet parking is available at the front porte cochere or self-parking is available at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani garage. For ADA access, please proceed to the rooftop parking to access the elevators. Your feedback is appreciated as it allows us to enhance and improve upon the Westin experience for all of our guests. We appreciate your loyalty as a SPG Platinum member and hope to have the opportunity to regain your confidence and welcome you back for a more relaxing and inspiring experience. Please contact us directly at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com so that we may personally assist you in planning your next stay.
Thank you!
New London, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

I am writing to express my appreciation for the excellent service my husband and I received during our stay at the Soana surfrider; From the moment we entered the resort we knew we hand choosen the right hotel for us.Chivastine checked us in and made us feel so comfortable since we have flown for 12 hours was suffering jet lag and time adjustments. Chivastine was patient and explained all aspects of the hotel with a smile. She is an asset to your staff. We were celebrating a special occasion and the small details in our room were greatly appreciated.Dan at the front desk the next morning was so helpful. I realize working with the public can be trying at times and Keola must have had a trying day because he seemed annoyed when I asked him which I thought was a simple question our room was 3522. Beautiful! the rocking chairs in the room was a good touch. We were front and center.Watched the sun set Diamond Head on one side and nothing but ocean from left and right;we even slept with our balcony doors open and let the sea put us to sleep. Only to wake up to the beautiful sun rise and watch "the dawn parole" surf. Nice.Thank you for the kindness that your fine establishment bestowed upon us. If and when we return your establishment will our first choice..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha Pajalu,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay at the Moana, especially the amazing views of Diamond Head and Waikiki Beach from your guestroom. The two white rocking chairs in our Diamond Wing guestrooms are a feature of days gone by – we are so glad that you enjoyed the view of Waikiki Beach while the soothing sound of the ocean waves lulled you to restful sleep. It is also wonderful to hear that Chivastine and Dan were able to make you feel comfortable and at home at the Moana. Your praising comments will be shared with Chivastine and Dan, as well as our management team. On your next visit, we highly recommend the Renewal for Two spa service at the Moana Lani Spa. Our private oceanfront couples' suites are personalized with whirlpool tubs, private restrooms and breathtaking views of Waikiki Beach. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa on your next visit to Honolulu.
Las Vegas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

First let me say that this Hotel is in the heart of Waikiki. Built in 1901 it has been upgraded over the years and is a very nice hotel that was very clean and staff very friendly. BUT, the rooms are extremely noisy. We asked to be moved as soon as we walked into our room because it faced the main street above valet and I knew it would be extremely loud with the old single pain windows etc. They kindly moved us to an ocean view on the second floor informing us that live music would go until 10 p.m. that we would be able to hear in our room. I was fine with this. They neglected to say that we were above the restaurants kitchen and from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. our room shook & vibrated from equipment running in the kitchen. We had other family staying throughout the hotels towers and 5 out of the 6 were not happy with their rooms for one reason or another "mainly noise" SO if you are looking for a quiet place to relax I would not recommend staying here. If you are looking for a bustling loud place in the middle of it all this is your spot.

Room Tip: The Tower rooms are newer and might offer a little quieter stay
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Kari J
Aloha Kari,
Thank you for your review. We regret that we were unable to exceed your expectations on your recent stay at the Moana. It is unfortunate that the conditions made it difficult for you to enjoy restorative sleep in your Westin Heavenly Bed. As a Westin, our mission is to be a partner in our guests’ well-being to ensure that when you are with us, you feel better than when you arrived, so it is disappointing to hear that this was not the case for you. On a brighter note, we are glad that the service provided by our associates was friendly and welcoming. We hope you will grant us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa for a more restful and relaxing stay.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A high quality hotel with old world charm. Very comfortable room with beachfront aspect. The courtyard with the famous banyan tree adds to its charm Very good service. A good position on Waikiki Beach

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Derrick D
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Aloha Derrick,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Moana. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the historical ambiance and charm of the “First Lady of Waikiki.” At the Moana, we take great pride in preserving the original structure and features of this historic landmark, so it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the timeless beauty of the property and our iconic banyan tree. We would love to welcome you back to the Moana soon - please check the Featured Offers page on our website or like us on Facebook for promotions and special rates. We appreciate your review and await your next stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.