We have always wanted to stay in this beautiful looking hotel. All we can say is beware...
We were given rooms in the old wing of the hotel where the windows are not double glazed so you get all the street noise throughout the night - people literally sound like they are playing drums in your room. We were moved 3 times during our stay and rooms just got smaller - there was not enough space to even walk past each other in the rooms One night the power went out and all we cold hear was the generator on all night until 4am in the morning.
Our second disappointment was the service - service was extremely slow both at the bar and on the designated beach area. There are very limited 'free' beach chairs around the pool and on the edge of the beach. These always have towels on them, where people have reserved seats and just walked off for the day. So the only other option is to pay for a spot in the designated beach area, we kept having to order at the bar as there was only one staff member serving in the area. It's an extra USD60 a day for 4 chairs and an umbrella, we tried going at 12 noon one day and the attendant wouldn't allow us to sit down Until exactly 12 noon (USD35 for a half day). The umbrellas are situated in rows, we were in one of the back rows thinking all the other umbrellas towards the front had be taken. But no, we later discovered that these were reserved by the beach staff for the high tipping Japanese tourists.
We also experienced extremely slow service at concierge/reception. Whenever we had questions for concierge/reception there were always lines of people...average wait time was 20 mins!
I lost a pair of new pants during my stay, we suspect that housekeeping staff may have thrown them into the laundry with our sheets (I left them on the bed). We tried phoning housekeeping and security to locate my pants to no avail. On the day of our departure, I asked to lodge a complaint as my pants were brand new. I was told that they do not take complaints over-the-counter and that I would need to email the Starwood Group so that they could launch a full investigation! I didn't think that a lost pair of pants warranted a full investigation into the matter! I felt like they were accusing me of lying and I certainly don't think that the incident was intentional. How about being sensible and just giving us a credit towards our account as a sign of goodwill Westin!!!
We will certainly not be charmed by the beautiful exterior of this hotel again...apologies for the long rant but paid a lot more than we received. It's time to break-up with you, Westin.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort & Spa, in Waikiki Beach on Oahu, HI. Visit Moana Lani Spa; or host a wedding on our rooftop terrace, or a meeting in our 10,000sq ft of event space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moana Surfrider, a Westin Hotel Honolulu
- Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort And Spa
- Westin Moana Surfrider
- Moana Surfrider Westin Resort
- Westin Honolulu
- Honolulu Westin
- Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa Hawaii/Honolulu