“MAHALO MOANA SURFRIDER”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New South Wales, Australia
“MAHALO MOANA SURFRIDER”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Well we normally stay at The Royal Hawaiian but there was mix up and we ended up here, now please note I have stayed regularly at the Halekulani, the Royal Hawaiian and Kahala(10 mins waikiki) in their suites. So when I write this review I am comparing it to the best hotels that this strip offers, there are things we have come to expect and this hotel delivered as good or even better in some instances which surprised me. We stayed in September so the low season and this is always a great time for Waikiki as you don't have the crowds that I have witnessed in August July or even April. Now the pool was what I expected staying at all the others they offer nothing much different and its not the pool you want its the beach it can be rocky as the coral volcanic rocks are in the sand but that water is sensational and those Honu's all five of them live in front of this hotel. Now the suite we were at the top(but with the design of the verandah any floor will have the aspect) and the view was the best out of all these hotels I didn't think, I could get better photos but proved me wrong when I looked out there. The tower rooms are newer and in the royal I have stayed in royal suite then tower suite to be honest book the tower where possible, you can walk through the building feel the ambiance the rooms still have a hawaiian feel particularly because you really are not looking at the furnishings but the view that beach thats what makes this place special. We travelled with a three year old had two chairs on the beach reserved daily now if you don't like to pay for chairs and everywhere here you have too then go onto the beach I guarantee you someone will be leaving and they hand their chairs(on the public area of the beach) onto you its just a hawaiian thing like with the ocean rafts I was offered three over our time so there is always possibilities. Now the service here was excellent Janice at the Juice Bar and you should really treat yourself to her super Kale Juice or Watermelon Juice is fabulous great way to start the day the beach servers Jilly in particular and then the breakfast staff the gentlemen that went out of his way and that lovely lady he worked with she had a love of purple cant remember their names, every morning they gave us a great table and the food was excellent.
Each day in our room we had a new nice treat maybe champagne chocolates, fruit, cheese platter, gift baskets now the other hotels above give you something at checkin but not after. The gym facilities were excellent the day spa well thats a little ordinary if you have never been to one maybe you find this good but not for me, aulani(disney resort)has the best spa I have ever seen from here but if you can't leave Waikiki the Royal Haw' Abhasa spa(RH) is the next best. The hotel has a very relaxed feel come one come all and they don't turn away walkers they welcome them its actually a nice thing I think Princess Kai'ulani would be happy about that at least. All I can say is in busier times so long as they have the staff there should be no reason this hotel cannot accommodate your needs. Remember you get what you pay for, if you want old hawaii real feel then this is it, no matter the room. You like a nicer room go to the tower. Handy things they have a laundry in house, microwave in the room we had big verandahs so you can ly and look out. Not just chairs like every other hotel mentioned here, the verandah makes you feel as if looking at eye level like your are on the ocean just a sensational touch. You come here for the beach the water the wildlife and of course to shop. But don't write this property off it deserves better than this rating here I wouldn't stay at the trump if paid me I don't want to be in New York I want to be in Hawaii. Every person I encounter in the tower said they loved their rooms but they all said its the view that makes this place "How good is that water" The things I would like is faster checkin to the room like the others provide and more bellman so the luggage arrives, storage in the rooms. Yes the internet can be slow and it does drop out but I don't stay here for that aspect(The RH, Hale' have similar issues). The service the check-in staff and the general hotel staff and one particular man in housekeeping who dropped our room service and afternoon treats was exceptional he went out of his way. This is a friendly place relaxed place lets not tag it as totally westin after all it is the first lady so lets just address her that way she deserves that much. I know next time I'm in hawaii its going to be a toss up if you like a quieter room, quieter entry hall stay in tower the hustle bustle is in the older building, weddings etc if you want immaculate then go to the halekulani if you have kids then come here. I must say I usually meet a few exceptional staff members but at this hotel I met many so let that be your guide just book the right room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank cavillino1
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Aloha,
Mahalo for sharing your experience with us. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. As you may know, the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa was the first hotel built in Waikiki and it is our history that sets us apart from neighboring hotels and resorts. We try to convey a sense of old world charm coupled with modern amenities to create an unparalleled experience. Whether it is our port cochere rocking chairs or our Afternoon Tea service, “The First Lady of Waikiki” delivers a relaxing and refined experience. We are so happy you enjoyed your Tower Wing guestroom. Views of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head, as seen from our Tower Wing are mesmerizing and not to be missed. We are so happy to hear how much you appreciated the staff and service here at the Moana Surfrider. Our staff is filled with the aloha spirit and eager assist our guests with whatever they may need. Mahalo again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Waikiki.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is the most beautiful hotel in Waikiki . Built in 1901 it takes you back to Honolulu's more elegant past .fabulous building . It has been beautifully restored and maintained . We stayed in the old original wing with a room with a balcony overlooking Diamond Head . No street noise here .As advertised , the room is small but big enough for us . However the bathroom was extremely small and had no shelving or storage at all . Bed was wonderful (appropriately named "Heavenly Bed" ) . The amount of storage in the room is extremely deficient and could easily be improved upon . The beach and pool are very nice but they are a bit short an lounge chairs and charge too much for their umbrellas , especially as they should be included in their exorbitant " Resort Fee " .
Lots of inexcusable glitches . It took me 2 hours on the phone to their remote helpline to connect with the wifi that we were paying more than $30 per night ( part of the "Resort Fee" ) . Housekeeping was not reliable . They came at all hours and when I asked them to clean our room at 4:00 PM they acted surprised that I wanted our room cleaned at all . My key didn't work one day and I had to wait for more than 15" in the hall for security to let me in . Our toilet leaked out the bottom one night and ,although it was fixed fairly promptly , it then wouldn't flush properly . I visited a washroom in the lobby one evening and one of the urinals was overflowing onto the floor and neither of the two towel dispensers was working or had towels in them . The bathroom in our room did not have glass glasses but rather flimsy plastic cups that you would expect at Motel 6 . Similarly they give you the cheapest of coffee makers with paper cups . Very low rent stuff . We had stayed at a Fairmont on the big Island the week before at considerably less money and they provided much higher quality such items .
I eventually complained about all these problems and was generously offered a free coupon for my wife and me to their breakfast buffet . But then they did not deliver it until I called send asked again the next evening . The breakfast was very nice .
This hotel is really beautiful and these problems are inexcusable but despite the problems , the overall experience was wonderful . However I think they are " coasting" and that management could use a shakeup .

Room Tip: If you stay in the old wing ( and you should ) ask for a balcony and one facing Diamond Head .
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rdmiller_pcj
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are sorry to hear of your concerns and we sincerely apologize for any issues you encountered while being our guest. We pride ourselves in providing a first class experience for each and every one of our guests and the concerns you mentioned are uncharacteristic of our standards. If you wish to address your concerns further, please contact us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. We appreciate your feedback for it gives us the opportunity to improve upon our guest services. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to “The First Lady of Waikiki” on your next trip to Hawai’i.
Yokohama
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel was my family’s favorite hotel in Waikiki and we have stayed 3 times. Unfortunately, it became the last time to stay.

The reason we always stay here is…
1. Nice Hawaiian atmosphere
2. Beach front
3. Warm service

That is why, we did not mind to pay more than what other hotels charge.

The problem started from the check in. We stayed on the week of 4th of July. So, it is understandable it was one of the busiest time. We were group of 5, so booked 2 rooms. Also, we arranged one roll away bed to accommodate 3 person in one of our rooms. I know it was busy time, so we booked way ahead of time like more than 6 months prior. When we checked in, I asked if we can get rooms close to each other. So we got rooms close each other one room in between. It was more than enough for us. Then I made sure if roll away bed was also ready or not. The guy at check in desk told me “yes, it is ready!”. However, there was not roll away bed in the room, so I went back to the front and asked about it. 10 mins later, the lady at front told me as “oh your room is not big enough to put roll away”. That was not what we have told when we booked. So, I told if they could do any arrangement. Then, supervisor came out and explained exactly same thing “not big enough”. So, I had to explain same thing over and over. Then the supervisor told me as “you know why, we are over booked on this week, blah blah blah”. Well….that is their problem to deal with, but not guest’s problem. So, I waited another 20 min and the supervisor told me to wait at the room because it would take another 30 min or so. The supervisor came to our room finally and gave me the new room key and informed us… “finally we arranged room with roll away bed for you. However it will be 2 floors above”. Well….we were ok with as long as each of us get the bed. So, we went to the new room and found… “it was exact same type of room on different floor”. Somehow, they put roll away bed in there. So, what is the point shuffle us on different floor and gave us exact same type of rooms? It made us less convenient. At the time, we were exhausted after the long flight and problem at check in. So, we just accepted what we got.

Other disappointments in comparing with last stays were
1. When we checked in, we got welcome juice, hot towel, and flower lei. But we did not get
any of them. I saw some of the guests got flower lei, so only selected guests get flower
lei now?
2. Room interior has been changed. It is still nice, but we prefer Hawaiian quilt bed linen.
3. This is the biggest disappointment. There is private beach area in front of the hotel
(actually designated area for staying guests). It was free of charge last time. However,
now it has to be paid $50 or some for one day and $25 for half day. This half day option
can be used only after lunch time. We were pretty busy while staying there, so had to
pay $50 for just couple of hours. The reason we had always stayed Moana was its beach
facility even paying more that what other same rank hotels charge. What is the point to
stay beach front hotel then? There are some venders who offer beach chairs and bed
with less cost all over Waikiki beach.

Also, we found out that room cost included “resort charge” or something like that. The resort cost included wifi, local call, photo session, or thing like that. I guess it was around $20. Only thing we used was wifi which was really slow. As international traveler, why do we need local call? As to photo session, the reservation was required to do so, and would took more than 30 min. After the session, you can get one photo and can be purchase more if you want. Does it really need to be included? It can be just option based on guest’ preference.

Unfortunately, we did not get any of great services which we got last time. Is this because of brand change? I thought changing brand from Sheraton to Westin is upgrade of service. As my opinion, only one thing upgrade was price!

Maybe what they try to offer does not really match with what we want.
Unless quality of service changes back to what it used to be, we will not back to stay there.
Hope old & good time's Moana Surfrieder will be back!

Room Tip: Better campare services you would get and what you would expect. Some of services you might not nee...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Hoppingtheworld
Aloha,
Mahalo for your inquiry. We are sorry to hear of your complaints and we sincerely apologize for any issues you encountered while being our guest. As you mentioned, guestrooms in our historic Banyan Wing are intimately sized and some cannot accommodate a rollaway bed. We are sorry to hear we were unable fulfill your requests and we sincerely apologize for any discomfort your experienced as result. We do offer daily beach umbrella rentals where guests can relax on a private beach reserved exclusively for guests of the Moana Surfrider. The ownership of a beach in Hawai’i is extremely rare however, this portion of Waikiki Beach is actually property of the Moana Surfrider and a direct result of our age and stature. Because this portion of the beach is considered private property, guests are permitted to consume alcohol when the law prohibits the consumption of alcohol on Hawai’i’s public beaches. When renting a private beach umbrella, guests can relax in pure luxury and receive food and beverage service. We are sorry to hear you found the daily resort fee of $31 unreasonable. There are a number of beneficial opportunities included, such as daily parking for one vehicle, unlimited local telephone calls, up to one hour of international telephone calls per day, high speed internet access in all guestrooms and lobby areas, daily cultural activities (such as lei making and hula lessons), daily resort activities (such as daily yoga classes and aquasize classes), and a 4x6 colored photograph taken by our professional photographer. If you wish to address any of your concerns further, please feel free to contact us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. We appreciate your feedback for it gives us the opportunity to improve upon our guest services. Mahalo again and we hope you will consider returning to “The First Lady of Waikiki” and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Step into history. This must be one of the oldest properties on the island still standing. Sitting on the veranda, one can imagine guests having breakfast as Pearl Harbour burned, as war was declared and later won. Like the Raffles in Singapore, it is beauty, style, and grace situated among the modern monstrosities surrounding it.

Yes, the hotel is bullseye centre Waikiki - conveniently located among the shops - with throngs of tourists and the entropy of a city centre, an oasis in a desert of people. The pool area is small and compact but pleasant and comfortable. The beach area in front is livelier but busy, with lots of activities and a great view of Diamond Head. Generally, the hotel has an intimate feel: if one is in the modern wing, one can see other guests in the older wing in their bathrooms!

This is a business-type hotel which is not business friendly. The internet connection in rooms is non-existent, recall dial up modems of internet 1.0. The business centre area is open plan in the middle of the lobby and there are no signs pointing to the check in desk. Hotel staff is unhelpful and unfriendly - fake smiles and interest, except for one Brazilian waitress, one pool bar attendant, and some of the porters. But the gym is first class.

The hotel wins on aesthetics and loses on substance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EDS71
Aloha,
Thank you for your comments. The Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa was the first hotel built in Waikiki and subsequently rich in history. We continue to convey a sense of old-world charm coupled with modern amenities to create an unparalleled experience. We try to remind our guests of a simpler time with our porte cochere rocking chairs and services like Afternoon Tea on the Veranda. We pride ourselves in having wonderful customer service and we are sorry to hear you found the staff unhelpful and unfriendly. We also sincerely apologize for the difficulties you encountered with our internet service and if you wish to address any of your concerns further, please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. We appreciate your feedback for it gives us the opportunity to improve upon our guest services. Mahalo again and we hope you will consider returning to “The First Lady of Waikiki” and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Since 1998 a favorite stop is the outdoor bar at the Moana Surfrider and Craig the Bartender has been there to make it for me this whole time. Beautiful view, excellent location, and potent cocktails. Tells you something about a place where Craig the Bartender has been working there since 1980. Tell Craig that "Rog" sent you for one of his Mai Tai's. Warning ! Drink more than 2...and you're on your own pal !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Rog T
Aloha,
Mahalo for your comments. We are so happy to hear you have been visiting our Beach Bar since 1998 and that Craig has been your bartender every time! Craig is known for making the best Mai Tais and as you mentioned, they are deliciously strong! We will extend to him your praises and thank him for all his dedicated years with us. Mahalo again and we will see you on your next trip to Waikiki.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A very enjoyable dinner with nice music and great vistas over Waikiki beach with the sun setting. Good menu and drinks were reasonably priced. Excellent waiter service. Entertainment was great as well with a duo and hula dancer, then a guitarist.

Room Tip: Sunset dinner is the go overlooking the water....bliss.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Russell F
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are so happy to hear you had an enjoyable dinner at the beachhouse overlooking beautiful Waikiki Beach. The Banyan Courtyard is so special every evening with live music and entertainment underneath the Moana’s own iconic banyan tree. It truly is the perfect place to unwind and enjoy a cocktail as the day slips into night. Many of our guests say our Mai Tai is one of the best in Hawai’i and not something to be missed. Mahalo again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.
HK
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We choose this hotel because we thought it would be nice to experience one of the older quaint hotels here, rather than the massive high rise hotels. the courtyard area was a nice touch so we ended up spending a lot of time there!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Victor L
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. The Moana Hotel was the first hotel built in Waikiki, over a hundred years ago, and it is our history that sets us apart from neighboring hotels and resorts. We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed the Banyan Courtyard set underneath our majestic Banyan Tree. Offering live entertainment nightly and cocktails from our Beach Bar, the Banyan Courtyard is the perfect place to unwind and watch the day slip into night. Mahalo again and we hope to see you on your next trip to Waikiki.