“Moana is paradise”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kihei, Hawaii
“Moana is paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 9 times. It is my favourite in Waikiki. I have stayed in historic rooms and tower rooms. When booking a historic room be sure that you know what you are booking....the rooms are small and most do not have a lanai....but they have wonderful charm and character. It is special to be in a room that has been around for over 100 years. The tower rooms work for me on longer trips b/c it is nice to have the room to spread out. It is great to have a lanai to dry wet suits. I could spend hours sitting on the rocking chairs on the front lanai watching the people go by. The pools is small and nothing special but the beach is great. The beach infront of the hotel is narrow but you can walk right or left and the beach is a bit wider. I like the option of renting the umbrellas/chairs in front however the price keeps going up and up and up...it used to be free.....then $20....then $35....this year it was over $50. I think the options at the pool snack bar are limited and nothing wonderful. I tend to go walk elsewhere for lunch and pupus. I wish they would improve their menu. The Beach House restaurant has great views for dinner. The restaurant has changed staff over the years...I havent eaten there in a few years my past experience was that the service was awful and the price too high for ok food with bad service. Due to a bad experience at the Beach House I was offered a free meal the next night......and the service/experience was just as bad the second night...and I have not returned to eat there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EH-from-Hawaii
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing with us and for being a loyal guest of the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. We are pleased to hear you enjoy both our historical accommodations as well as our more modernized options. As you may know, rooms in our historical Banyan Wing are so charming and most representative of the Hawai’i of yesteryear. There are so many attractive historical qualities of “The First Lady of Waikiki” that set us apart from neighboring hotels. We are sorry to hear of your prior experiences at the beachhouse and we apologize for the service you received. If you wish to address your concerns further, please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. We always appreciate our guests’ feedback for it gives us the opportunity to improve upon certain areas that might not have been brought to our attention otherwise. Mahalo again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Everything you would expect from a Westin but this time with Hawaiian magic. Located right on the beach and close to almost everything that matters. A colonial feel to the building, steeped in history. One of the best banyan trees you will ever see.

Room Tip: select beach view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brentcaswell
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed the historical qualities of “The First Lady of Waikiki.” As you may know, we were the first hotel built in Waikiki and it is our history that sets us apart from neighboring hotels. We offer a historical tour every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11:00am where guests can learn many interesting things about the hotel’s journey through the 20th century. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa on your next trip to Hawai’i.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Had two great nights here watching sunset and eating meals with cocktails.an awesome venue and staff very friendly and never felt we were being rushed. Great band with a vey lossy, beautiful Hawaiian dancer who combined class with culture and beauty. A great place for a drink or meal at any time of day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Paulaf1966
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us. So happy to hear you enjoyed our Banyan Courtyard set on beautiful Waikiki Beach. We offer live entertainment nightly and our world famous Beach Bar is nestled underneath our iconic Banyan Tree. There really is no better place to enjoy a cocktail and watch the day slip into night. Mahalo again for being our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.
Livermore,Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our daughter booked her wedding here so we decided to stay at the resort too. We stayed in the Tower Wing with a beautiful view of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head, all I can say is perfect! From our balcony as we watched people surfing and swimming every now and then a sea turtle would surface from the pearl blue water, amazing. We want to send a special thank you to Glenda, Bob, and Raphael for making our daughters wedding so memorable! We will be back to Hawaii and we will stay at the resort again!

Room Tip: Tower Wing for great views!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank senseiSue
Aloha,
On behalf of everyone here at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, we would like to congratulate your daughter on her recent wedding. We are so honored your daughter chose to spend such a momentous occasion with us. The romantic and charming features of the “The First Lady of Waikiki” make for a perfect wedding, honeymoon, and or anniversary. We will extend a special thank you to Glenda, Bob, and Raphael for making your daughter’s wedding so memorable. We love hearing about our various guests unique “Moana memories” and we hope you will carry them with you until you return. Mahalo again and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I had a terrible incident while at the Beach House Bar with the bartender Bryan while at the Westin Moana Surfrider. To begin, I frequent Westin Hotels because of the excellent service and beautiful surroundings at these hotels. I was on vacation this evening of July 7, 2013 in Honolulu. I went to the bar to order a Pina Colada. I have a very young appearance, so Bryan asked to see my I.D. I complied and gave him my identification. He asked me "What year were you born?" followed by "You don't look legal." He gave me back my ID and began making my drink. About two minutes later, he asked me for me ID once again. I gave him my ID again and he told me "It's people like you that make bartenders loose their jobs" followed by "Do you want to pay for my kids to go to college?" I am indeed 21, and gave him a valid Texas ID. He was very loud at the incident and everyone at the bar's mouths had dropped and everyone was staring at me. He proceeded to serve me my drink. I was so embarrassed. As an individual who has managed a restaurant, I would have never have never, under any circumstance spoken to a customer in that manner, much less have one of my employees do so. I am extremely embarrassed. Bryan W.'s behavior was absolutely unacceptable.

I have contacted both Westin Corporate and Anthony Torres, the Westin Food and Beverage Director of this incident.

This resort is a shame to the Westin name for providing such unacceptable customer service, especially in light of the exuberant rates this resort has elected to charge. Please spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank matt c
Aloha,
We are sorry to hear of your recent experience at the beachhouse. The service you received is unrepresentative of our standards and we sincerely apologize for any discomfort you experienced as a result. It is to my understanding that management has personally reached out to you to address this matter further. Please feel free to contact us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com with any other comments or concerns. Again we sincerely apologize and hope that you will consider returning to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence. Mahalo.
Loomis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

It's been a life-long dream of mine to stay at this historic hotel, and I was not disappointed. When I booked I specified a room in the historic wing, knowing that it would be smaller and have fewer amenities than the tower - but I wanted to be IN HONOLULU, not Miami Beach. We were given a room facing Diamond Head with a view of the beach and water. Being an old room, we could open the wooden windows, and listen to the surf all night long. The lobby was gorgeous and the café under the old Banyan tree was nice. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful (gracious service comes to mind).
But, I do have some issues. Why do they charge $25 + tax "resort fee" on top of expensive room charge? For that you get Wi-Fi and and photo. Their pool is very small and wall to wall screaming kids. A beach chair costs $35 a day. But where to put it? The beach is very narrow there and by 11 am hardly a square foot is empty. So it is not really a "resort" like you would expect on a tropical island.
That said, I still loved staying there, listening to jazz in the lobby in the evening, rocking in the chairs on the front porch, watching the incredible scene passing by on the street, and best of all, sleeping with the sound of the surf.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank westerngal71
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Aloha,
Mahalo for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We established the daily resort fee in an effort to provide a number of beneficial opportunities bundled into one all-inclusive price of $31. Included is daily parking for one vehicle, daily yoga and aquasize classes, WIFI in guestrooms and lobby, unlimited local and 1-800 telephone calls, up to 1 hour of long distance and international telephone calls per day, 2 glasses of wine per room per stay at bin1901, a professional 4x6 photograph on the hotel property, a collections of Waikiki savings booklet, a historical tour of the hotel property, a $5 discount on admission to Iolani Palace, a mini surf lesson, and various cultural activities including lei making and hula lessons. We are sorry to hear you didn’t find the resort fee beneficial and if you wish to address this matter further, please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. Mahalo again for providing us with critical feedback. We value the opinions of our guests and appreciate when they offer ways for us to improve upon our services. Thank you again and we hope you will return to “The First Lady of Waikiki” on your next trip to Hawai’i.
Croatia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

After straying at the Westin for over 10 years,(spending almost 50K from 2005 - 2011 ) our Westin Maui of 2011 was a disaster : rooms not what we booked,; cleaning was every other day, when reminded!; over charges on beach rentals and about anything;30% less service staff etc. We took a break from the westin but decided to give it another shot on august 1st 2013. Here are the results. Just for yourself if this room is worth almost $600 a night! On a positive note : stunning views and the new towers are splendid, which make selling rooms at this rate even more despicable!
Miriam

Room Tip: The hotel is splendid and the new section is great. I just think it is shameful to sell rooms like t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank miriambianca
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. If you are interested, joining our Starwood Preferred Guest Program opens up the opportunity for special rates here at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa as well as all other Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide. We hope you will consider returning to “The First Lady of Waikiki” and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence. Mahalo.