“Best Hotel Stay in Waikiki”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Best Hotel Stay in Waikiki”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at the Moana Surfrider for our first visit to Waikiki. I read many of the reviews on here before arriving and I would like to comment on them as well as our own experience. The hotel was busy and next to the Main Street in Waikiki, but it was not bothersome at all and we did not feel it distracted from our stay. The hotel is beautiful and right along the beach, it is classy, elegant with historical charm. Our room was nice, and I believe recently renovated. The windows in the lobby were always open, with rocking chairs all along the veranda and we loved sitting outside with a cool drink, of course. It was nice to walk out back and drop your towels for a swim on the beach. People commented about the small pool, and it was small, but with Waikiki Beach as your backyard, who needs a pool, we did not visit it once. Each employee we came across was very friendly and helpful. We were right in the center of Waikiki and within walking distance to many nice stores and restaurants. We walked through many hotels in the area and we felt the Moana Surfrider was the best, several of the others had that Las Vegas cheesy feel. The negatives would be that this place is expensive and having drinks and a meal for four as we had at the Beach Bar for example could put a dent in your wallet. Also the parking lot is in the adjacent hotel across the street. However, overall, we had an amazing trip and stay here, and we will without a doubt be staying here again when we return. This hotel should be listed higher in trip advisor.

Room Tip: We stayed in the tower, and we were told those rooms are bigger than the main original building. W...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank FredPT
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Aloha,
Mahalo for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are delighted to hear how much you loved your time spent here at “The First Lady of Waikiki” and we appreciate your kind comments. As you may know, we were the first hotel built in Waikiki and it is our history and charm that distinguishes us from neighboring hotels. Our beachfront location in the heart of Waikiki is second to none, with the bright blue Pacific Ocean on one side and entertaining Kalakaua Avenue on the other. Many shops and restaurants are within walking distance to our hotel, as well as the Honolulu Zoo, Waikiki Aquarium and Diamond Head Crater, making a rental car an option and not mandatory. As you mentioned, we do offer daily self-parking for our guests at our sister property located directly across the street, in addition to valet parking. Mahalo again and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Moana on previous trips to Waikiki but this experience was different. The Moana is an excellent hotel. Who could not love this Grand Lady of Waikiki. The elegance is always present, the staff courteous and informative, the rooms full of comfort. During this trip the noise in the hotel was something I expected at a Motel 6. One is always aware of the noise from Kalakau Ave. as that is just the essence of Waikiki. It was not this noise but the noise from WITHIN the hotel. People running up and down the hallways and slamming doors at all hours of the night and wee hours of the morning was unbelievable! I have never experienced such a cacaphony in such an establishment. While I still love the Moana, the price/value ratio is a little elevated at this point. I strongly recommend, for the investment, to stay next door at the Royal Hawaiian, another truly wonderful and luxurious accomodation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeff k
Aloha,
Mahalo for sharing your recent experience with us and for being a returning guest of “The First Lady of Waikiki.” We are sorry to hear of your complaints regarding noise disturbances during your stay and we apologize for any discomfort you experienced as a result. We strive to create a calming oasis in the heart of bustling Waikiki with relaxing services such as Afternoon Tea on the Veranda. We hope you will consider returning to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence. Mahalo.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Tower wing, which just got a refreshing. New carpets all over, rooms have new updated furniture and just spiffed up a little. Not a full remodel but noticeably nicer. As Gold member, got a large plate of fresh fruits for welcome, enjoyed the papaya and pineapple. It was Spring Break so room rates were higher than normal. Also noticed the resort fee is now increased to $30. It's starting to feel hefty on top of an over $300 room rate. While the included amenities are nice, I object to valet (extra $15) not being included in that fee given self park is not on site but at sister hotel 1.5 blocks away.

• Stayed July 2013
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for your comments and for being our guest. As you mentioned, our newly renovated Tower Wing has been well received amongst our guests and we are happy to hear you agree. We established the daily resort fee to offer a number of beneficial opportunities, such as daily parking for one vehicle, unlimited domestic telephone calls, one hour on international telephone calls per day, daily yoga and aquasize classes, a welcome beverage at bin1901, as well as a number of other options, at an all-inclusive rate of $31. As you mentioned, self-parking is located at our sister property The Princess Kaiulani sited directly across the street from the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to “The First Lady of Waikiki” on your next trip to Hawai’i.
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've been home a week and want to go back; Second visit, stayed 6 nights. I only gave The Moana a very good last year, due to some room and employee (1) issues. I had to re-review because it was FABULOUS! We had ocean front rooms in the Diamond wing. I said in the review that the location of the room is key. I paid for and requested a Tower wing, partial ocean view. We checked in early (1:30 pm) with instructions to check back in an hour if they didn't call us. No worries, we walked around, had a snack and went back about 2:15. Gentleman who helped us told us that (I think her name was Mary) who originally checked us in had upgraded our room, Tower 1574. Oh My! Well, take a look at the view for yourself as I have attached pictures.

The staff was courteous, helpful, pleasant, and friendly. At a place like The Moana, I guess this is expected of the staff, but they went beyond what is expected.

Tropical Depression Flossie arrived mid-stay and I must admit, that I was impressed with their preparedness. What was nice is that it wasn't obvious to most, but I happened to be traveling with someone who teaches in the emergency management field, so he pointed things out to me. Comforting.

My traveling companion has stayed at the Moana on numerous occasions. As impressed as I was last year, now I know why he stays here. I came again this year to decompress from a home invasion robbery and get a few good nights sleep. It worked!!!

I can't wait to visit again.

On a side note, a surprising number of people did not avail themselves of the foot showers to wash sand off feet, etc. nor the free towels so at least they wouldn't drip and puddle while in the elavators.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank bin2oz
Aloha,
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us and for being a returning guest of “The First Lady of Waikiki.” We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your Tower Wing Partial Ocean View guestroom. Views of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head, as seen from our Tower Wing are simply breathtaking and not to be missed. We are also pleased to hear you found the staff to be helpful and friendly and we also appreciate that you were impressed by our preparedness for Tropical Storm Flossie. Thankfully the storm was rather uneventful; however we always aim to be cautious in order to safely accommodate our guests, no matter the conditions. Mahalo again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa on your next trip to Waikiki.
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

My friend (she already wrote her comments here, and quite accurately too) and I arrived after booking 4 nights at this hotel. The room we were given (3411) was a diamond city view room in a boldly advertised luxury hotel! The room was anything but. I had had better accommodations at a Motel 6!!!

We had booked the room through Costco Travel and talked to them about the nasty smell, stained furniture, small size of the room, particularly the bath room, and stains on the chairs. The wallpaper was bubbled up everywhere and had been peeling off the wall too.

The bathroom was very small and had a sink and a toilet with very little room for toileteries. The sink was stained, the bath fixtures had rust/mould stains around their bases.

The nice lady at Costco Travel called back to say that Moana Surfrider had generously (!!!) taken off the measley resort fees for the first day! We were also given the same sized room one floor above (3511). This room was exactly the same size and furniture, but minus the smell and peeling wallpaper. The Chair was dirty, but, they cleaned it - somewhat! There was barely any room for two suitcases in that suite.

I found the front desk people on the night we checked in at the Surfrider to be unfriendly and rude. They were certainly not customer friendly.

Don't believe all you hear about the luxury of this hotel. They had beautiful public areas that belied the nature of the accommodations in the city view areas. We talked to other people who were staying in the same wing and none had a good thing to say about their accommodations.

Room Tip: Don't pay without a good amount of research into what you are actually getting. Pictures are not...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Anc1005
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us and for being our guest. We are sorry to hear of your concerns regarding your Diamond Wing guestroom and we sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. The concerns you mentioned are not representative of our standards. If you wish to address this matter further please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. We would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with us for it gives us the opportunity to address certain issues that otherwise might not have been brought to our attention. We aspire to create unique and wonderful “Moana memories” for each and every one of our guests and again we apologize for your disappointment. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Amazing beachfront location. The room was fine, but the way the label and categorize rooms is not forthcoming at best. I had a "partial ocean view category", that looked directly into the adjacent highrise. No sunlight in the room at all. You could only see a little of the ocean if you stepped out onto the tip of the balcony edge. No privacy at all. I think there are other better value hotels in Waikiki, just across the street from the beach.

They have a misleading photo on their website that shows a sweeping ocean view, and it's for the partial ocean view category. They said they would change the photo, but it hasn't happened yet. I guess they don't see the urgency in being truthful.

Regardless, the hotel is beautiful and very friendly staff everywhere. If you want a decent view, be prepared to pay a massive price for it here.

On the lower floors in the tower, on one side, instead of hearing the "tranquil island sounds", as their website promises, you will hear massive humming of gigantic air conditioning vents just a few feet away from your room. You won't even want to go on your balcony cause the noise is too annoying.

There was still good sound insulation in the room, so it was quiet, if the balcony isn't used and that door is shut tight. It was pretty close to a rip off to me, just based on the way they categorize rooms to their benefit. The "very good" rating I am giving is based on the location, which is breathtakingly beautiful and amazingly central.

Room Tip: I'm not convinced that even getting a full ocean view category will be what you think you are pa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank pattayainsider
Aloha,
Mahalo for sharing your concerns with us. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations and for any discomfort you experienced while being our guest. We greatly appreciate your feedback for it addresses certain issues that might otherwise not have been brought to our attention. We are currently in the process of resolving the issue and we thank you for your patience. If you wish to address this matter further, please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to the Moana Surfirder, A Westin Resort & Spa and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Was so excited to be staying at the iconic Moana surf rider last month but unfortunately it did not live up to expectations. The exterior and lobby are beautiful and the rooms are tasteful but small (although that was not unexpected). We were in the older part of the hotel and chose a city room which was noisy but I guess that's to be expected. I was thrilled to see a kettle in the room - the only time I have ever had one in a US hotel - great for those of us who are tea drinkers!. I was however disappointed at the poor selection of amenities (mentioned by someone else on this site). A slither of soap (which we had to ask to be replaced!) and a bottle of shampoo and conditioner. No body wash, shower cap or lotion! Not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Our other hotels on this trip were Hyatt and Hilton both of whom provided us with a wide selection of beautiful products.
I am aware of Starwood hotel's resort fee and am happy to pay this for resort facilities! How is this a resort? The gardens are non existent and the pool is not much bigger than a backyard pool with limited seating! We were entitled to free wifi (which was of poor quality), use of the gym (well equipped) and pool and a free portrait (which we never took up). We had booked 2 rooms for 4 nights and then returned at the end of our trip for another 3 nights so spent a considerable amount on resort fees yet was only able to find chairs at the pool on 2 occasions. There are approximately 50 chairs around the pool which for a hotel of this size is completely inadequate. These were constantly being "reserved" and I noticed a number of them laying unoccupied for over 2 hours!. At other hotels, towels are removed if the chairs are left unattended for more than an hour. When we asked the pool attendant about the "reserved' signs on the chairs, he said they were for long time Moana guests and they have to look after these guests!. I guess new guests are unimportant! In addition, we were there on July 4 and the pool was invaded by dozens of kids from the beach who clearly were not staying at the hotel. There was a staff member trying unsuccessfully to determine who was a genuine guest but she clearly was out of her depth with no help from any security staff. Where are hotel security and why does the hotel not utilise the colored wrist band used in their sister Sheraton hotels to identify genuine guests? It was so unpleasant with so many noisy kids jumping into what is already an overcrowded pool!
Upon our return the following week we were told that we were being upgraded to a better room - not sure how this was better! Our room was the identical one to our previous one except 2 floors lower with an inferior view and our kids room was overlooking the street!! Talk about disappointing!
We ate breakfast at the buffet the first day but then chose to eat elsewhere as the food is overpriced and not particularly impressive.
The hotel is also noisy and the lobby a thoroughfare. Other reviewers have mentioned the numerous brides that use this as a backdrop for their wedding photos.
Overall, I think the Moana fails to live up to its expectation as an iconic 5 star hotel. This is a pity because it is a beautiful property in a fantastic position .

Room Tip: city facing rooms are very noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sunshine0701
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We are sorry to hear of your concerns and we apologize for any inconveniences you encountered while being our guest. We are sorry you found the daily resort fee of $31 to be inopportune for it includes a number of beneficial opportunities such as daily parking for one vehicle, unlimited domestic telephone calls, one hour of international telephone calls per day, WIFI, daily yoga and aquasize classes, a welcome beverage at bin1901, as well as a number of other options. As you mentioned we do offer somewhat limited pool side lounge chairs, however we do offer daily rentals of our private beach umbrellas where guests of the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa can relax in luxury on an exclusive beach. If you wish to address your concerns further, please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. Again we apologize for not meeting your expectations and we hope you will consider returning to “The First Lady of Waikiki” and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations. Mahalo.