“Refreshed Moana Even Better”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Tower wing, which just got a refreshing. New carpets all over, rooms have new updated furniture and just spiffed up a little. Not a full remodel but noticeably nicer. As Gold member, got a large plate of fresh fruits for welcome, enjoyed the papaya and pineapple. It was Spring Break so room rates were higher than normal. Also noticed the resort fee is now increased to $30. It's starting to feel hefty on top of an over $300 room rate. While the included amenities are nice, I object to valet (extra $15) not being included in that fee given self park is not on site but at sister hotel 1.5 blocks away.

• Stayed: July 2013
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Aloha,
Thank you for your comments and for being our guest. As you mentioned, our newly renovated Tower Wing has been well received amongst our guests and we are happy to hear you agree. We established the daily resort fee to offer a number of beneficial opportunities, such as daily parking for one vehicle, unlimited domestic telephone calls, one hour on international telephone calls per day, daily yoga and aquasize classes, a welcome beverage at bin1901, as well as a number of other options, at an all-inclusive rate of $31. As you mentioned, self-parking is located at our sister property The Princess Kaiulani sited directly across the street from the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to “The First Lady of Waikiki” on your next trip to Hawai’i.

There are newer reviews for Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've been home a week and want to go back; Second visit, stayed 6 nights. I only gave The Moana a very good last year, due to some room and employee (1) issues. I had to re-review because it was FABULOUS! We had ocean front rooms in the Diamond wing. I said in the review that the location of the room is key. I paid for and requested a Tower wing, partial ocean view. We checked in early (1:30 pm) with instructions to check back in an hour if they didn't call us. No worries, we walked around, had a snack and went back about 2:15. Gentleman who helped us told us that (I think her name was Mary) who originally checked us in had upgraded our room, Tower 1574. Oh My! Well, take a look at the view for yourself as I have attached pictures.

The staff was courteous, helpful, pleasant, and friendly. At a place like The Moana, I guess this is expected of the staff, but they went beyond what is expected.

Tropical Depression Flossie arrived mid-stay and I must admit, that I was impressed with their preparedness. What was nice is that it wasn't obvious to most, but I happened to be traveling with someone who teaches in the emergency management field, so he pointed things out to me. Comforting.

My traveling companion has stayed at the Moana on numerous occasions. As impressed as I was last year, now I know why he stays here. I came again this year to decompress from a home invasion robbery and get a few good nights sleep. It worked!!!

I can't wait to visit again.

On a side note, a surprising number of people did not avail themselves of the foot showers to wash sand off feet, etc. nor the free towels so at least they wouldn't drip and puddle while in the elavators.

2  Thank bin2oz

Aloha,
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us and for being a returning guest of “The First Lady of Waikiki.” We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your Tower Wing Partial Ocean View guestroom. Views of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head, as seen from our Tower Wing are simply breathtaking and not to be missed. We are also pleased to hear you found the staff to be helpful and friendly and we also appreciate that you were impressed by our preparedness for Tropical Storm Flossie. Thankfully the storm was rather uneventful; however we always aim to be cautious in order to safely accommodate our guests, no matter the conditions. Mahalo again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa on your next trip to Waikiki.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My friend (she already wrote her comments here, and quite accurately too) and I arrived after booking 4 nights at this hotel. The room we were given (3411) was a diamond city view room in a boldly advertised luxury hotel! The room was anything but. I had had better accommodations at a Motel 6!!!

We had booked the room through Costco Travel and talked to them about the nasty smell, stained furniture, small size of the room, particularly the bath room, and stains on the chairs. The wallpaper was bubbled up everywhere and had been peeling off the wall too.

The bathroom was very small and had a sink and a toilet with very little room for toileteries. The sink was stained, the bath fixtures had rust/mould stains around their bases.

The nice lady at Costco Travel called back to say that Moana Surfrider had generously (!!!) taken off the measley resort fees for the first day! We were also given the same sized room one floor above (3511). This room was exactly the same size and furniture, but minus the smell and peeling wallpaper. The Chair was dirty, but, they cleaned it - somewhat! There was barely any room for two suitcases in that suite.

I found the front desk people on the night we checked in at the Surfrider to be unfriendly and rude. They were certainly not customer friendly.

Don't believe all you hear about the luxury of this hotel. They had beautiful public areas that belied the nature of the accommodations in the city view areas. We talked to other people who were staying in the same wing and none had a good thing to say about their accommodations.

Room Tip: Don't pay without a good amount of research into what you are actually getting. Pictures are not...
6  Thank Anc1005
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us and for being our guest. We are sorry to hear of your concerns regarding your Diamond Wing guestroom and we sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. The concerns you mentioned are not representative of our standards. If you wish to address this matter further please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. We would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with us for it gives us the opportunity to address certain issues that otherwise might not have been brought to our attention. We aspire to create unique and wonderful “Moana memories” for each and every one of our guests and again we apologize for your disappointment. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Amazing beachfront location. The room was fine, but the way the label and categorize rooms is not forthcoming at best. I had a "partial ocean view category", that looked directly into the adjacent highrise. No sunlight in the room at all. You could only see a little of the ocean if you stepped out onto the tip of the balcony edge. No privacy at all. I think there are other better value hotels in Waikiki, just across the street from the beach.

They have a misleading photo on their website that shows a sweeping ocean view, and it's for the partial ocean view category. They said they would change the photo, but it hasn't happened yet. I guess they don't see the urgency in being truthful.

Regardless, the hotel is beautiful and very friendly staff everywhere. If you want a decent view, be prepared to pay a massive price for it here.

On the lower floors in the tower, on one side, instead of hearing the "tranquil island sounds", as their website promises, you will hear massive humming of gigantic air conditioning vents just a few feet away from your room. You won't even want to go on your balcony cause the noise is too annoying.

There was still good sound insulation in the room, so it was quiet, if the balcony isn't used and that door is shut tight. It was pretty close to a rip off to me, just based on the way they categorize rooms to their benefit. The "very good" rating I am giving is based on the location, which is breathtakingly beautiful and amazingly central.

Room Tip: I'm not convinced that even getting a full ocean view category will be what you think you are pa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank pattayainsider

Aloha,
Mahalo for sharing your concerns with us. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations and for any discomfort you experienced while being our guest. We greatly appreciate your feedback for it addresses certain issues that might otherwise not have been brought to our attention. We are currently in the process of resolving the issue and we thank you for your patience. If you wish to address this matter further, please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to the Moana Surfirder, A Westin Resort & Spa and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Was so excited to be staying at the iconic Moana surf rider last month but unfortunately it did not live up to expectations. The exterior and lobby are beautiful and the rooms are tasteful but small (although that was not unexpected). We were in the older part of the hotel and chose a city room which was noisy but I guess that's to be expected. I was thrilled to see a kettle in the room - the only time I have ever had one in a US hotel - great for those of us who are tea drinkers!. I was however disappointed at the poor selection of amenities (mentioned by someone else on this site). A slither of soap (which we had to ask to be replaced!) and a bottle of shampoo and conditioner. No body wash, shower cap or lotion! Not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Our other hotels on this trip were Hyatt and Hilton both of whom provided us with a wide selection of beautiful products.
I am aware of Starwood hotel's resort fee and am happy to pay this for resort facilities! How is this a resort? The gardens are non existent and the pool is not much bigger than a backyard pool with limited seating! We were entitled to free wifi (which was of poor quality), use of the gym (well equipped) and pool and a free portrait (which we never took up). We had booked 2 rooms for 4 nights and then returned at the end of our trip for another 3 nights so spent a considerable amount on resort fees yet was only able to find chairs at the pool on 2 occasions. There are approximately 50 chairs around the pool which for a hotel of this size is completely inadequate. These were constantly being "reserved" and I noticed a number of them laying unoccupied for over 2 hours!. At other hotels, towels are removed if the chairs are left unattended for more than an hour. When we asked the pool attendant about the "reserved' signs on the chairs, he said they were for long time Moana guests and they have to look after these guests!. I guess new guests are unimportant! In addition, we were there on July 4 and the pool was invaded by dozens of kids from the beach who clearly were not staying at the hotel. There was a staff member trying unsuccessfully to determine who was a genuine guest but she clearly was out of her depth with no help from any security staff. Where are hotel security and why does the hotel not utilise the colored wrist band used in their sister Sheraton hotels to identify genuine guests? It was so unpleasant with so many noisy kids jumping into what is already an overcrowded pool!
Upon our return the following week we were told that we were being upgraded to a better room - not sure how this was better! Our room was the identical one to our previous one except 2 floors lower with an inferior view and our kids room was overlooking the street!! Talk about disappointing!
We ate breakfast at the buffet the first day but then chose to eat elsewhere as the food is overpriced and not particularly impressive.
The hotel is also noisy and the lobby a thoroughfare. Other reviewers have mentioned the numerous brides that use this as a backdrop for their wedding photos.
Overall, I think the Moana fails to live up to its expectation as an iconic 5 star hotel. This is a pity because it is a beautiful property in a fantastic position .

Room Tip: city facing rooms are very noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sunshine0701

Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We are sorry to hear of your concerns and we apologize for any inconveniences you encountered while being our guest. We are sorry you found the daily resort fee of $31 to be inopportune for it includes a number of beneficial opportunities such as daily parking for one vehicle, unlimited domestic telephone calls, one hour of international telephone calls per day, WIFI, daily yoga and aquasize classes, a welcome beverage at bin1901, as well as a number of other options. As you mentioned we do offer somewhat limited pool side lounge chairs, however we do offer daily rentals of our private beach umbrellas where guests of the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa can relax in luxury on an exclusive beach. If you wish to address your concerns further, please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. Again we apologize for not meeting your expectations and we hope you will consider returning to “The First Lady of Waikiki” and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations. Mahalo.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We decided to splurge, my friend and I, at this "luxury" hotel. She hadn't been to O'ahu and therefore hadn't had the Waikiki "experience". Imagine our disgust upon entering our room in the Diamond wing. The stench (something deeply mouldy) assailed our nostrils. The size of the tiny room (3411) we could accept but not the peeling wallpaper, stained arm chair, substandard bathroom (cracked fiberglass sink and tub surround), dirt in every nook and cranny. Eventually, we were given another room (3511) that evening, with the promise of a "deep-clean" of the still mouldy-smelling habitation the next day. But only because the Costco booking service intervened. The best Moana would agree to in addition was waiving one day's worth of resort fees. That evening, the surly young man on reception told my friend, upon her complaint, that that was the "class of room you booked"! She retorted, "You mean with peeling wallpaper and the smell?" Not at all a good start. To be fair, the public spaces were delightful and the beds divine (Deo gratias!). The pool, though small, is a pleasure to swim in and the beach was right there....as advertised! Being the cheeky sort I am, I began to interrogate people from our floor about how they liked their rooms when we met at the elevator....no-one had anything good to say. I think "all right" was the highest praise. But everyone seemed resigned to his fate. Jeepers, Moana! If it's not going to be a luxury room at 350 flipping dollars US per day, tell us what we're going to get! Our room at the elegant, first-class Courcelles-Parc chambres d'hotes in Paris cost my husband and me (July, this year) just over $200 CDN/night, a bargain. It's time everyone who booked the "cheap" rooms at Moana started to complain. I don't plan to return there. There are better places.

Room Tip: Are you serious? Do you think these people who manage Moana are going to tell you if the room is su...
3  Thank Rynt

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us and for being our guest. We are sorry to hear of your concerns regarding your Diamond Wing guestroom and we sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. The concerns you mentioned are not representative of our standards and if you wish to address this matter further please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. We would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with us for it gives us the opportunity to address certain issues that otherwise might not have been brought to our attention. We aspire to create unique and wonderful “Moana memories” for each and every one of our guests and again we apologize for your disappointment. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is the second time that I have stayed at the Moana Surfrider. You can't beat the location, right on the beach. The shops and restaurants close by are amazing.
The extra charges all add up - resort fee, room tax and occupancy tax are all added on top of the advertised room rate.
The atmosphere around the lobby and beach bar is inviting but can get busy, we didnt always get a seat.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tania N

Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and for being a returning guest of the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. As you mentioned, we are located directly on the beach in the heart of Waikiki providing our guests with easy access to all that Kalakaua Avenue has to offer. We do have a daily resort fee of $31 that includes a number of beneficial opportunities such as daily parking for one vehicle, WIFI, unlimited domestic phone calls, up to 1 hour of international phone calls, and one welcome beverage per guest, per stay at bin1901. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to “The First Lady of Waikiki” soon.