“Just Beautiful”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 14, 2013

A special hotel in the finest location. Can't be faulted with every feature of the hotel. Service, location, cleanliness, the spa, the food. 100%.It is just quality from the front driveway all the way through to the beachfront. This hotel is expensive in every area but worth it. A real weird and strange occurrence is the masses of people on laptops that pack the common areas for use of free WiFi... Which is only available in the beautiful common areas and beach bar area...At any one time of the day there would be between 50-60 people sitting on all the tables and chairs in the bar, lounge and foyer glowing in the lights of there laptops and ipad sucking very last cent of free WiFi out of the hotel... It is a major buzz kill for the beautiful setting of this early 1900's hotel. Please management reverse your policy block WiFi in the common areas and send them to their rooms!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank harveyandhenry
Write a ReviewReviews (5,301)

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have holidayed in Waikiki on a number of occasions over the past 25 years but this was my first stay at the Westin Moana Surfrider. It is a building which I have long admired, one of history and beautiful architecture in an excellent location.
I was very much looking forward to the experience of finally staying in this magnificent building and had booked an ocean facing room. Upon arrival we were allocated a room in the original part of the hotel on the first floor directly above the main entrance to the hotel. Unfortunately I feel this section of the hotel possibly does not have the same level of sound insulation as perhaps the newer wings. I was woken very early in the morning (prior to 6.00 a.m.) by the sound of music playing downstairs. The music is pleasant but I did not wish to be woken so early. I asked reception if we could be moved to a quieter room and was told that they couldn’t help us as the hotel was full. Very disappointing as this problem continued each of the 5 days we stayed there and certainly affected our stay.
The room and bathroom were simply decorated yet quite adequate with very comfortable bedding.
The pool area is quite small and it is difficult to obtain sun lounges in this area.
The restaurant on the veranda is lovely and we very much enjoyed High Tea and dinner there. Also drinks and entertainment under the Banyan Tree of an evening is very pleasant.
The morning yoga classes were excellent.
I cannot give the hotel an excellent rating due to the problems we experienced with noise.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim11P
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This beautiful property is very much a resort property. It offers a large selection of dining and entertainment options, and the location, directly on Waikiki Beach, can’t be beat.

The staff is professionally trained and educated and it shows. From doormen who greeted us with lei and beads, the front service desk who cheerfully shared with us her preferences in room locations, the bellman who provided us with ice without asking, the wait staff at the Beach Bar and Banyan Courtyard Restaurant... the service was exemplary.

We had reserved a historic ocean-front Banyan court room. I had viewed the floorplans for all of the rooms online, so I knew that the room would be small and ‘historic’ (i.e. oddly laid out by 2013 standards)

I had mistakenly assumed that an ocean front room would include a view of the ocean. Instead, our fourth floor room came with a view of the property’s historic, 135 year-old banyan tree. Through the leaves we could glimpse pieces of ocean - not exactly the same. If actually seeing the ocean from your ocean front room is important, you might want to request a top floor room in the historic section or reserve a room in the newer, taller, tower. You do get what you reserve - and pay for. (On the other hand, how often do you get to view a 135 year-old banyan tree?)

The door to our room from the hallway opens directly onto the bed. This can be an issue for both privacy and sound - hall conversations can not only be heard, they can be understood, word for word. The sound is also an issue between rooms. When the family in the room next to ours showered, we heard the water so loudly, it sounded as if they were showering in our room - with the door open. A bit awkward.

Our room opened onto the courtyard, and we knew that the area had live entertainment, so we were prepared for (and enjoyed) the sound there. Others who had street side rooms did complain that the street performers kept them awake long after the professional entertainment in the courtyard had called it quits.

All-in-all, we love this property. We love the rocking chairs out front, the multitude of public seating spaces throughout the lobby areas, the back patio with wifi and outdoor massage services - the directly-on-the-beach Beach Bar with live entertainment and ample umbrella covered tables, the food, service and open air atmosphere of the Banyon Courtyard Restaurant.

The Moana Surfrider is the ideal location for a honeymoon, a family reunion, a vacation for two middle-aged empty-nesters.

We look forward to returning here again. We just hope that when we do, we can afford one of the newer tower rooms!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KarenBrown_CBD
Reviewed January 11, 2013

When I arrived, I couldn't find the entrance to their parking garage. I left my suitcases and had to self park at the Princess Kaiulani Hotel's parking a few blocks down. I was greeted with a purple orchid lei. The room I had requested was supposed to have a bath. The room I got faced the street(very noisy) and didn't have a bath. So I asked the front desk to move me. The next room had a bath but faced the courtyard which had music until 11:00 p.m. I had just gotten off a 16 hour flight to get here. So tired. So I went down to join them. As they say if you can't beat them join them. I sat on a lounging chair facing the ocean since I couldn't find an empty table at the beach bar. Then I went to ABC to get papaya, milk, snacks and started my souvenir shopping. Then I sat on one of the rocking chairs in the front to watch the performers across the street and the sea of humanity strolling down Kalakaua Avenue. I smelled the coffee aroma of the coffee shop situated diagonally. I chatted with a couple from Wisconsin. Tonight I hope to join the parties downstairs as well as eat in their restaurants. We get internet and parking for $25.00 fee. Not bad for Waikiki. If you want valet that's $15.00 extra. I have to move on our last day since they were fully booked. Where? Across the street to the Hyatt Regency Hotel. They said they'd take my suitcases there for me. I hope they do.

Room Tip: As I mentioned above, don't get one with a city view unless it's on a very high floor. And...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank jo k
Reviewed January 11, 2013

stayed in August, long line for check in (after 3pm), room was in the older tower, and oddly layed out. We looked forward to dining at the restaurant again, as we had a great experience when it first opened. They have cut back on service, presentation and the food quality has suffered. Service was awful, (45 minutes or more to get an overdone steak). We paid $170 for a barely edible meal.

Room Tip: pay extra to stay in the new tower
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Surfrider during a two day trip in Oahu. Our "ocean view" was somewhat blocked by large palm trees just outside the room, but we could still enjoy some of the view. The room was nice, the bed was comfortable, and the staff was pleasant. We didn't have a bed-and-breakfast package and thought the food in the hotel was too pricey, so we ended up getting coffee and croissants at the coffee shop next to the facility. Our only full day was spent sightseeing, so we really couldn't take advantage of many of the resort amenities. The location was great - right on a main street with a large variety of restaurants and shopping within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: If you're hoping to take those sunrise/sunset pictures, make sure to ask for a room where the vi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just completing my stay at the Moana Surfrider in Oahu. The hotel is beautiful and clean and the trees on the patio are amazingly beautiful. My only complaint is for lunch or dinners out on the patio is beautiful but its seat ourself and its very hard to get a seat. People tend to stand and stare at you, waiting for you to finish so they can have your table. The food is very good though. This hotel has weddings non stop which makes it very congested when they are going on and hard to get through the lobby when they are doing photos. As for your room, I advise that you pick your room wisely, because at night when the street performers are out which is great to stop and see it can become rather loud when it's time to sleep at night. The streets are very busy. There are definitely enough shops to buy souviners and the market place across the street had great deals. The ABC stores are one on every block and are alt cheaper for snacks and drinks and pretty much anything else you may need at a cheaper price. I was very happy with the staff and overall hotel and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room that is not on the street side!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple