“Mediocre”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Having had some great experiences at Westin hotels in the past, I had high hopes for the Moana Surfrider, but was deeply disappointed. Starting from the entrance to the hotel, where my aging mother struggled with a heavy suitcase on the hotel's front steps, in full sight of several idle valets who didn't offer to help. The room itself - the basic "city view" - was blandly decorated, with absolutely no natural light even at midday (the sky was blocked by the hotel next door). The room was incredibly noisy at night - there's no sound insulation at all from the doors leading out to the balcony. The in-room teapot was broken, as was the showerhead in the shower, which kept spraying water onto the bathroom floor. And, bizarrely, the concierge desk closed at 8 on a Friday night, so there was no help available for making evening plans.

The only positives: the typically comfy Heavenly bed, plus really beautiful public areas, and a great, central Waikiki location. But overall I don't think this hotel rises to the standards I expect from a Westin hotel.

1  Thank AmoryB
MoanaSurfriderTeam, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Aloha,
Mahalo for your review. We are disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations of a Westin Resort. We normally receive glowing reviews about our bellmen and valet staff, so do apologize that you did not receive such service. We feel this is an isolated case, so again, apologize sincerely. Relative to certain amenities in your guestroom, we do hope that you contacted our Guest Service Manager on duty who could either have the problem tended to, or perhaps have organized a room move for you. Also, in double checking the hours of our concierge desk, they actually are open from 7am-9pm daily. So, with them not there at 8:00pm is a concern.
Feel free though to contact a Guest Service Manager on duty at anytime you may have a question or need assistance as they are always available. Your feedback is very important and will be shared with those departments mentioned so that we can continue to improve on the services and amenities available to our guests. Should you require further assistance, -please feel free to contact us at 374guestexperience@westin.com.
Mahalo!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,301)

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel dishonored the reservation and lied. I booked and paid for Premier Ocean View Room at Moana Surfrider 3 months ago through Expedia. But when I checked in on 11/21, the front desk staffs told me that Expedia never made that reservation to them and all of their ocean view rooms have been sold out. When I showed them the receipt, they then went inside saying they are contacting Expedia to find out. When they came back like 15, 20 minutes later, they still insisted this is Expedia’s fault but they can give me a city view room and a few coupons. I told them I can’t accept that since I came all the way to Honolulu just for that ocean view and there’s several hundred dollars price difference between Premier Ocean and City view rooms. Besides, no matter it’s Moana or Expedia’s fault, I have no control over it. All I’m sure is that somebody just took my money and totally ignored it!! I asked to see the manager. Then it came someone named Jade (?). She didn’t help at all, but just repeated the same thing and gave some useless PR talks. I brought my family there for vacation, not for dealing with all these hassles. It was totally ruined by these irresponsible guys. I then desperately asked (actually begged) if they can find a ocean view room from any nearby hotels. After quite a while, they finally told me that they can “upgrade” me to Royal Hawaiians after 7pm. Royal Hawaiian is for sure a quality hotel, but this was definitely not an “upgrade”. I was put into a so-called “Ocean Front Room”. But since it’s on the 3rd floor, the trees in front block majority of the ocean view. While the Tower Premier Ocean View I originally booked is supposed to be the best view room on upper floors. It was just a hopeless “alternative” than an “Upgrade”. And it took me several hours to get a room and moved my luggage up and down from this hotel to another. I called Expedia after I have everything settled to complain and asked for compensation. And astonishingly found out that Expedia did make the reservation and Moana Surfrider has admitted to them but they didn’t actually call Expedia at the 1st place while I was checking in. Gosh… the hotel staffs lied!! Is this a Westin standard?? I talked to Moana the next day to question them why they lied to me. Now they admitted that they didn’t “express” it right. Now they said they can’t give me a room because they are all sold out. Sold out? Whom are they sold to? Wasn’t there a room should have been sold to me 3 months ago? I asked for compensation and they said all they can offer is $100 reward. For a more than $3000 package and for all the hassles and frustration, $100 is never a right compensation. A refund might be more appropriate. Very disappointed! Ignore the reservation and lie to customer. What else worse thing can a hotel do? Westin or Sheraton, you have serious management problem here!

8  Thank PaulWang945

Aloha,
Mahalo for bringing this problem to our attention. We’d like to sincerely apologize for the situation that occurred and would like to personally discuss with you the details of your stay so that we may further investigate this situation. Please contact our main line at 808.922.3111 and ask to speak with our Director of Operations, Cynthia Chow. We look forward to your reply so that we may address this issue immediately.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

As locals, it's our tradition to go down to Waikiki for holiday meals. My girlfriend and I went to the Moana Surfrider for their Thanksgiving (evening) buffet. The meal was great. The service was good. We tipped handsomely. We left pleasantly stuffed. Unfortunately, it all came to a screeching halt when we picked up her car from the valet. The pick up spot was lit well enough to see that her front bumper had been scratched up and the normal gap between the driver's side fender and the bumper was now unnaturally wider. (Frustratingly, we got rear-ended a month ago, so we actually know what we're looking at.) It was clear that her car had obviously been driven into something (another car?) or was conversely hit by another vehicle. The valets were admittedly swamped, but none of the valet staff approached us or said anything while we stood there clearly trying to figure out how bad it was, a half-dozen cars stacking up behind us in the pick-up area in front of the lobby on a seriously busy night. Needless to say we were unhappy at damage and the utter lack of integrity on the part of the valet staff. Later, when we inspected it in the full light to get a sense of the extent of the damage, we confirmed the scratches, found a nice sized crease in the bumper, and confirmed that the entire bumper had been knocked off its alignment. Honestly, we're not out to scam the hotel. The point of this review: Do yourself a favor--exercise supreme caution when using the Moana Surfrider valets; I frankly wouldn't recommend it. All in all, the whole experience left a bad taste in our mouth and severely damaged this hotel's reputation for us--a true pity considering the buffet was actually well done.

3  Thank Fritz59

Aloha,
Thank you for your letter to our General Manager as well as your online posting. We are very sorry to hear of the inconvenience experienced while valet parking your car. It is our understanding that you have been contacted to provide some required documents so that our investigation can be completed. Thank you for your assistance in that regard. Once the investigation has been completed, you will be notified by our insurance company as to the next steps.

Thank you again for your patronage of the beachhouse at the moana and for you continued support of the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. We hope to have the privilege to be of service to you again. Until then, with Aloha and much appreciation.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We enjoyed a very pleasant lunch on the verandah of this gorgeous establishment just recently. The food was of an excellent quality and not unduly pricey considering the view and the service. It was not our first visit, nor will it be our last.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
MoanaSurfriderTeam, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Aloha,

We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed dining on the veranda at the beachhouse. The views are indeed breath-taking, the service exceptional and cuisine delectable. The pictures you’ve posted look absolutely mouth-watering! Mahalo for sharing. We appreciate your loyalty and hope we have inspired you to return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa for your next visit.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This was the first trip to Hawaii for my husband so I told him to book a hotel in the center of Waikiki. It was the perfect location. There was a running trail to Diamond Head, but you would need to get up early to beat the crowded streets. I didn't get a chance to run it because of my jet lag. I was up before dawn so I used the hotel gym. The gym was very well equipped and perfect for people watching.

One of my favorite parts of the hotel is the row of rocking chairs. I do wish they had room to squeeze in a row of rocking chairs behind the hotel facing the beach as well. The rooms and bathrooms are a bit small. They can be a bit noisy if you get a room facing Waikiki rather than ocean view.

Overall, if it is your first time to Oahu and you want to fully experience the "touristy" side of Hawaii, you would definitely stay here. It is one of the best hotels on the street. Beautiful old plantation feel with modern amenities..very picturesque and location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie L

Aloha,
Mahalo for taking the time to share your wonderful review with us. We are thrilled you had such a wonderful stay. Many of our guests also love the rocking chairs on the Veranda so are pleased to hear you are fond of them as well. It allows one to enjoy a lazy afternoon while watching Waikiki go by. We have to also agree that the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa is indeed “one of the best hotels on the street!” Thank you for noticing and for sharing your experience! We look forward to welcoming you back to the “First Lady of Waikiki” soon.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Be aware that this hotel will hold pending amounts on your credit card for a week after you have paid and checked out so if you are close to a limit it will be something you will need to be aware of
In my case I checked out on the 18th November paid the account on the 17th and today on the 23rd November the hotel still has $1600.00 of pending on my credit card
Be Aware

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David C

Aloha,

Mahalo for sharing your experience with us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of the credit card hold. While the credit is processed immediately at the hotel level, the banking institutions locally and on the mainland or internationally can sometimes be delayed due to standard operating procedures. Given this process, we advise our guests to anticipate a 5-7 business day hold on all such transactions. Again, we realize the challenge this procedure poses and are continually looking for ways to improve the process. Should you wish for us to follow-up on this for you, we’d be happy to do so. Please e-mail us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com and we’ll look into expediting this credit for you.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

On November 5, 2012 I booked a room at this hotel for 3 days. I booked a PREMIUM OCEAN VIEW ESCAPE room that cost me over $400.00 per day. What I got was not a Premium Ocean View, but rather a view that looked out at 150 balconies from an adjacent hotel and a 30 degree view of a small portion of beach and ocean. When I conveyed my dissatisfaction to the hotel staff, they were completely unresponsive and did nothing to correct the situation. They insisted that this was a Premium Ocean View, but compared to other rooms in this category, this was.definitely not a Premium Ocean View room. All they said was that this room has a balcony and tried to push it off as a Premium Ocean Escape room.. This room (# 1593) was a total rip-off and not worth over $400.00 per day. I will never stay at this hotel again and I believe that Expedia should do their homework and check out the rooms that they are selling. i am truly disappointed by Westin Resorts and Expedia whose only interest now seems to be profit above customer service and satisfaction.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel if you want value for your money. Very misleading advertising and not at all...