“Ok But terrible service”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Ok But terrible service”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The motel was ok but it smelt for some reason however service was terrible and the bar beside the pool is the worst when it comes to service. They try to rip you off! Also go for beachside view because city view is very loud. Prepare to also but a fair amount of money. The location is close to everything though.

Room Tip: Pay big bucks!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MoanaSurfriderTeam, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Aloha,
Mahalo for sharing your experience with us. We apologize for the challenges you had faced with our associates and your room. We value our guests and appreciate the honest feedback so we can improve our services. We are happy that you had found our location to be convenient. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa so you can experience the true meaning behind our motto "First Lady, First Class."
Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Had a great time, I surfed. The food was great, had a ocean view room. want to go back in june with some girlfriends and my daughter. The dinners were expensive but the best food Ive ever had, go to the Beach house at the Moana Surfrider and order the French Onion soup it was to die for. The steak and lobster was fabulous too. I enjoyed this trip with my husband and daughter very much!

Room Tip: moana surfrider ocean view rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MoanaSurfriderTeam, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Aloha,
We are so pleased your family had enjoyed their stay. The Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa has a variety of exceptional dining options. One of our most-popular dining options is the beachhouse at the moana, as you have mentioned. Waikiki's beachhouse at the moana restaurant uses only the freshest Hawaiian ingredients to create its vibrant island-inspired cuisine of the finest quality steaks and the freshest seafood. We look forward to welcoming you, your daughter and friends back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had a wonderful time. Cannot fault the service, all staff members were very helpful. We had waited 3 years to stay at this hotel and it was well worth the wait. We will definitely be returning, hopefully will not have to wait another 3 years! The location is great for everything altho we just lounged on the beach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha ,
Mahalo for taking the time to share your wonderful review with us. All of our guests love the ideal location of being on waikiki beach. It allows you to enjoy running the sand through your toes and listening to the relaxing sounds of the waves as you bathe under the warmth of the Hawaiian sun. We look forward to your vacation to the “First Lady of Waikiki,” and hope you won't have to wait another three years to come back to paradise.
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Was very sceptical about our planned stay at this hotel after reading previous reviews, all I can say is I did not find negatives here at all. We were in the historic Banyan wing in a corner room, Diamond Head side of the hotel. I can find no words to describe the awesome views we had from our room, to one side, Diamond Head crater and to the front the clearest blue water you could ever imagine. The rooms have been called small and while you could not hold a party in them they are adequate for two people and steeped in history.The afternoon tea on the Verandah is not to be missed and the food at the Beachhouse restaurant is divine. All of the staff we encountered were polite helpful and very friendly, always greeting you with a warm aloha and genuine maholo (thank you) and on one occasion we were greeted with a warm 'welcome home' by Elizabeth one of the great room hospitality stafff members, after a long day at the factory outlets. Yes there are lots of weddings but they did not mar our holiday in any way. Would highly recommend this hotel as THE place to stay when in Waikiki we will be back.

1 Thank Karen G
MoanaSurfriderTeam, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Aloha,
We are so pleased you had enjoyed your stay. The Moana Surfrider associates are very friendly and willing to help our guests in any way possible. Elizabeth is one of our star performers and has a great amount of the aloha spirit like many of our associates. We look forward to your vacation to the “First Lady of Waikiki.”
l0vet0travel77
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed for a nice weekend getaway. 80+ degrees, lots of surfers. We have stayed in Waikiki a few times and have always loved to come to Moana's Beach Bar, so we decided this time to stay there. We were very pleased. Mind you, it is in the heart of Waikiki Beach and there are lots of people. If you do not mind this then you are set. If you want a quiet getaway with a private beach, this is not it. For this trip we wanted to be in the heart of it with beautiful surroundings. We stayed in the Diamond wing, which are Oceanfront rooms. They advertise there is no balcony but there is plenty of room to pull up one of their chairs and relax and enjoy the ocean view. These rooms are in a more private area of the hotel. The rooms (average size w plain, clean bathroom - if you are looking for luxury in the bathroom this is not it) over look a nice courtyard, small gazebo (many weddings are done here) and of, course the beach and Diamond Head Mountain. The Tower rooms, Oceanside (as a comparable) are more expensive but you have a large balcony and a view over the hotel courtyard, the historical banyon tree, pool, beach bar and beach and better view of the sunset and the Royal Hawaiian, which is located next to Moana. We liked the Diamond wing and would stay there again. The pool is small but nice. The service and food is wonderful. The location is nice because though it is in the heart of Waikiki and nice walking distance to all the shopping and dining it doesnt feel like you are right on top of the shopping as you are just a block or two down. This is a beautiful Historical Hotel and we loved it!!!

Room Tip: Diamond Wing - see review above.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha ,
We are thrilled you had such a great stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. . The views from our ocean categories are definitely breath-taking. With Waikiki Beach as our backyard, our guests can enjoy the ocean and magnificent sunsets. We’d like to welcome you to the Moana Surfrider on your next visit to Hawaii.
Napa, California
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I made my reservations 6 months ahead of time as I was giving myself this trip to celebrate my 70th birthday. At that time I explained I was disabled and have a history with this hotel, as I was born on the island and my Mom and Dad used to visit the Banyan court to listen to "Hawaii Calls", and could I possibly have an upgrade. I was promised I could. On my past visit to the Moana I was treated like a princess, and while I did not expect that to happen this time, I did expect "Aloha Spirit". You used to be greeted with a Lei, a scented wash cloth for your hands and face, and juice handed to you. Now- no lei, no wash cloth, Juice in a automated machine-help your self. I was taken to my room, that was not much more than a cell, the door so heavy I could barely open it. I had a walker to manipulate through the door and between that and the heavy door it was very painful. I have compression fractures of my lumbar spine and have to be very careful. OK, back the room. I tried to open the windows. Could not. The remote to the T.V. did not work. After calling this was handled with the comment that I may be glad not to have the windows open.????????? Luckily the guy knew how the tv worked and explained or I would have been tv less. My view was of a filthy roof and then the street- I was on the third floor. There are so many things that came up I can not tell you. Asked for a knife and fork to take to my room.. No that has to come up with housekeeping and you will be charged. On Sunday there was a Ceremony on the beach and we were to all come in bathing suits so after the ceremony we could go into the water. I called down to the concierge to make sure this was on the public beach, as the drop off on the Moana's private beach is not something I can do with my back injury. She checked and said that indeed it was safe for me and they would have someone there. No one was their and it was the drop off and I fell. I could go on and on, but it makes me so sad. I have a bill for almost $2,000.00 and while I was able to make some good memories, they could have been much better. Oh yes, they were indeed right about the windows being closed.. The noise at night was awful. Saturday night was the Aloha Festival and I went to that. This makes me sad to write and brings it all back. This will be my memory of my last trip to the land where I was born. Leilani I was there for 5 nights and every day there was another problem. Some handled some not.

Room Tip: If you are below the 10th floor do not get a city view. And make you desires known and document the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Phyfer22
Aloha,
Mahalo for your feedback regarding your recent experience with us. We are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. We appreciate your patience and would like a chance to speak with you directly to discuss the details of the issues that occurred during your stay. Please contact us at 374guestexperience@westin.com. We look forward to connecting with you soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Hotel has a lot of character and class. Service was great and friendly. Beautiful views of the beach. The only down fall is that the hotel is right on the busy street and crowded with people. Overall a nice experience and good for a short stay. Rooms are small as is the pool. If you're looking for something more relaxing and quiet this is not your place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted you had enjoyed the wonderful views of Waikiki beach. "The First Lady of Waikiki" is filled with the old Westin charm and elegance. We are glad you had a chance to embrace these intimate traits of the Moana. We look forward to your next stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.