“Hawaii Christmas”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 30, 2011

The hotel is in a great location. The staff was great. The beach bar area is a great place to relax and hangout. The rooms in the new tower w/ocean view is wonderful. The main building didn't have balconies.....didn't see those rooms but can't imagine having to look out window to see the ocean view. The pool area and outside area is gorgeous!! The hotel was well decorated for Christmas. The staff was friendly and very attentive.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank nln1021
Write a ReviewReviews (5,366)

Reviewed December 29, 2011

My rating for this hotel should actualy be a 3.5, just to be clear. But since this hotel is under the name Westin, I chose the "3" instead of "4" because the room and it's cleanliness did not live up to a Westin property as I expected.
Good Points: All the staff, from the front desk, concierge, bellmen, waitstaff, etc., were exceptionally friendly and like a ray of sunshine. The property's location is heaven! Out the back doors you have a wonderful location on a famous beach as well as a beautiful Banyan tree enveloping a great snack bar and seating area to people watch at any hour of the day. There is also a great covered porch area with rocking chairs if you choose to get out of the sun and still be part of the action. Just out the front of the hotel, you can shop till you drop or head to a wonderful restaurant. No rental car needed.
Bad Point: I was truly shocked, in all honesty, at the condition of my room when I arrived. Let me begin by stating I read some reviews that touch on this subject previous to booking the Moana Surfrider and racked it up as a coincidental situation on thier part or perhaps just someone that focuses on the negative. But it wasn't the case, unfortunately. The bathroom was icky and I honestly thought the room was not yet prepared for my arrival. Additionally, the housekeeping was not consistent in that, I did not realize they provided bottled water to guests until after my second night there because they never replenished it until then. This may seem minor, but when you are purchaseing it at the store downstairs for a few $$$ a bottle only to realize it is provided for guests, it is disturbing.
Additionally, the daily housekeeping seems to be there to "re-position" your bedcover and replenish your towels only. I saw no other sign of them being in my room. I cannot even go into the description of the floor of my bathroom-thank goodness slippers were provided.
I truly expected more from a Westin property. "Historic" does not mean "lack of cleanliness."

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the City Side. Obviously you are going to hear the people on the streets as we...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Reece007
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We reserved a two double bed room for two adults and one child. We called a day ahead to request an upgrade (we are SPG Gold) but were told the hotel was completely booked, but they did confirm our reservation for two double beds, oceanfront, Diamond Wing. When we showed up, we were given a king room! They stated they absolutely could not give us a room with two doubles due to the three college basketball teams and one college football team all in town for various bowls/tournaments using all the double rooms.

-So my first tip is: don't come if you need two beds and there is a convention or sports event going on, because they will give your room to them! After we raised a stink, the manager agreed to upgrade us to the Tower Wing, but couldn't until the second night, so we got a rollaway bed for the first night. So I will review the two rooms we had:

-Diamond Wing: The best thing about this room was the truly magnificent oceanfront view of the sunset! However the balcony is too small. You can stand there to watch the sunset, but it is too small even for a chair. The room was very quiet, with only the sound of the surf at night. The rooms are old, and although the bathroom fixtures have been updated, they haven't replaced the plastic shower surround, and there is no counter space! Just a pedestal sink. I had to set my child's toothbrush on top of the toilet tank (on a clean towel, but still...). Also, there seemed to be just one elevator in this wing (maybe there was another one I never saw), and the waits were long.

-Tower Wing: This is the newer wing with the larger rooms. I would stay here again if I could be guaranteed this wing with the ocean/Diamond Head view. It's a great view of Diamond Head, but you can't see the sunset from this angle. This was a lovely, spacious room with an enormous balcony overlooking the banyan courtyard. The bathroom was much newer, with stone tile tub surround. My biggest problem with this room was the music from the courtyard kept me up past 10pm. We were on the 11th floor, and the music was pretty loud. But if you stay up late, then this wouldn't be an issue for you.

-Resort fee: Once again, I see other reviewers complain about the resort fee. My view is that these fees are inevitable, such as paying for checked luggage and food now on flights, which used to be free. No one likes paying fees. In my opinion, the resort fee here is reasonable considering the class of hotel it is and the expensiveness of Honolulu in general. The resort fee for my stay (over Christmas weekend, 2011) was $20. I have paid this amount at lesser hotels in less expensive cities for fewer amenities. This fee includes the following:
- In-room wired internet for one device (wireless is free in public areas). I think the Moana Surfrider needs to realize that with the prevalence of IPads, they will need to make in-room internet access wireless as well. For us, we used the laptop in the room, and the IPad in the lobby.
- Free self-park for one vehicle. This alone made the resort fee worth it. Parking is expensive in Honolulu.
- Up to 60 minutes of long distance phone calls per day. For people without cell phones, this is a great deal.
- Children 12 and under eat for free with one paying adult (designated times and places). We took advantage of this twice, and it paid off.
- Free surf demo/instruction. We didn't use this.
- Free Moana Historical Tour. Didn't use.
- Free morning Yoga class (one hr long, easy yoga). We did this and enjoyed it.
- It did not include water (we received water as SPG). I think water should be included.

-Overall: This is a beautiful hotel with superb service. We received the lei greeting, but not the hot towel and tea that someone else received, so maybe they are a little inconsistent. It is 100% no smoking, a plus! I like that they have separate recycling bins in-room for newspapers and bottles. This is only the second time I've seen that. I like the hand-held shower heads, which is not too common in the U.S. I thought the self laundry in the basement of the Diamond Wing was hugely overpriced ($3.00 each to wash, dry and for a box of soap, so $9/load). I'm glad I took the dirty clothes to our next stop on the Big Island where laundry prices were half that.

I highly recommend this hotel based on atmosphere alone.

Room Tip: Tower wing is newer, but oceanfront in the Diamond Wing is quieter, with a better full ocean and sun...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JF4
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We stayed one night here just to be close to Waikiki for a day. The hotel is the oldest in Honolulu. You CANNOT beat the elegance nor location. The only drawback-service seems rushed and not up to the standard of a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank NativeSoCalif
Reviewed December 24, 2011

This is my first time ever writing a review online in my life.

I am currently staying at the moana, my fiancé and I are getting married here. Biggest mistake I have ever made.

Starting with the day prior to leaving, we get a call saying that the hotel overbooked and they were moving us to another hotel. It took my two hours to explain to these people that I had a wedding booked at the moana and it was unacceptable to be moved. I also explained we booked 12 months ago - so why would we be the ones bumped??? After a few very stressful phone calls the booking was changed so they bumped someone else(which didn't make me feel any better). Not something you need as a bride to be.

I then went on to explain that as I had booked a wedding package with them, that I was told I would receive and upgrade. I confirmed this three times, I would have booked a bigger room otherwise. I have 5 girls getting hair and makeup done in my room the day of the wedding- so very important to me.

So we arrive after a 12 hour all night flight and we have the HORRIBLE opportunity to meet with Keenan. Possibly the rudest and most obnoxious staff member I have ever met. Nothing I explain in writing could express how disgustingly rude this front reception guy was. I wouldn't let this guy talk to my dog, let alone be the first point of contact at a hotel.

After trying to explain to Keenan the situation, he explained that even though he was aware I was promised an upgrade, it wasn't happening unless I wanted to show him something in writing. I did have this in writing but when I explained it was in my luggage, he snarled at me and said "yeah....I'm sure it is" sarcastically. At this point I was almost in tears, had no sleep so just gave up. The lovely keenan said he would call us when our room was ready. As we had requested an early check in, I assumed around 11.

No sleep, no phone call.

At four pm we finally go back and beg for a room - only to be told our room had been ready for hours, Keenan must have forgotten to call us.

Awesome.

We get to our room, it's tiny, old, cramped, stinky and we are overlooking the street. Which basically means until 11am every night, it's like having 1000 people in your room screaming in your ear. I also share a balcony with people who are smoking all day/night- so it smells like a chimney.

I went to reception about the noise, they turned their noses up and said "yeah, it's a major issue for us" and gave us a pair of crappy, cheap earphones that don't work.

I discussed the possibility of just having a room change for the night of the wedding, so I can get to sleep and have enough room for my wedding party. Again, no.

So all in all, save your money. Worst experience of my entire life.

What a waste of money for us. Any hotel would be better in Waikiki. I wish I listened to all the crappy reviews!!

Room Tip: Book any other hotel!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ashley M
Reviewed December 24, 2011

We stayed at the ocean front diamond wing of this hotel. The interior was somewhat outdated, but not bad, and the best part is the view and proximity to the ocean. It really is oceanfront and if you leave the window/door to the lanai open, the entire room is filled with the sound of the waves.

It's in the heart of Waikiki within walking distance to all the shops/hotels.

Given the age of the hotel, pool is relatively small and not well oriented for small children, but despite some shortcoming I would go back there again.

Room Tip: there are 3 distinct wings in the hotel, diamond, banyan, and tower, and the rooms are very differen...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is one of my favorite historic hotels in the U.S. that I have been to. The service is top of the line. We were here for the 2nd part of our honeymoon and we were greeted with hot towels and lemon-grass tea, so refreshing since we had been out and about all day. I love this building and the old trees by the beach bar. The only down side to the rooms in the historic wing is that fact that they are very small, probably the smallest room I have ever been in, but your in Oahu, so who cares. I love open air patio on the 6th floor and the wraparound porch on the main floor. The beach house restaurant had amazing food and great wine. We also loved the live music they had in and around the bar and restaurant. I would say that this is probably a better place for couples, since we have kids. Hope this helps, now book a trip and go have fun.

Room Tip: If you do want a room with space, pick the tower wing.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple