Royal Grove Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$189
$450
$226
$219
  • Breakfast included
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
$204
Hotels.com
$224
$190
  • Beachfront
All reviewsjam sessionon monday nightssafety deposit boxgreat budget hotelwaikiki beachother gueststwo blockshula dancerscooking facilitiespink hotelbeach toysfull size fridgeold hawaiiacross the streetper nightthe duke statuehawaiian music
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I love the Royal Grove Hotel, I've been staying here since 1999.

this hotel is close to the action, without being "in the International Market place."

The staff are awesome, and the proximity to everything just makes my stay simple & Easy.

I've stayed here, even the years, we've had conferences at other Major hotels, I just head across the road and get the bus down to the other hotel. The money I save staying here, means I can shop my little heart out!

Being from Australia, EVERYTHING, is sooo much cheaper, so I come ready to shop.

This hotel, is not modern, it does not have photos, in the latest Vogue, home mags, but it is Home, when we are in Hawaii. it is clean, tidy, and fresh, with a warm family atmosphere.... I've bought many friends here over the years, and they've all loved it.

We are not looking for a big fancy hotel, we're looking for a small in expensive hotel, that we can cook a meal in when we don't want to go out, it is perfect.

We always land early from Australia, never have a drama checking in early, and the girls at front desk, always more than accommodating.

The pool is enough to cool off in, and hang around, but waikiki beach, is just a 2min walk away

there are ABC (corner stores) across the road, the 24hr Food Pantry just down the road, you have a computer with internet access for a small fee, in reception, and there's free wifi in reception/by the pool.

Fast food is close, it's clean and friendly and seriously, who wants to spend millions on a hotel room you're never in??

once a week, they have a guest get together, and sing along, which again, just makes it all the more homely, family friendly...

Love this place, it's my Favourite!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
8  Thank ShellieM
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I stay at the Royal Grove every time I come to Honolulu. I make several short visits each year. I always get the warmest of welcomes and I am always happy with the room. As others have said, the furniture is a bit worn, the hallways are clean but faded (although they do have security cameras, as an earlier reviewer had requested), and the paint on the lanai could use some touch-up. But the whole place has a homey, comfortable feeling, which is the reason that I keep returning.

There definitely is a time warp feeling when you enter - many of the guests are folks who have been staying here for years - sometimes renting rooms for months at a time. Next to the lobby is a larger room with a piano, computer for internet access, and a large table. The table is often used for card games in the evenings. The place can be described as "cluttered" but spending a few moments to look over a lot of the souvenirs and collected memorabilia can be entertaining.

As an earlier reviewer said, this place attracts "regular folks" and I agree that this is not everyone's preference (especially someone coming to Waikiki especially for the upscale experience or for a special occasion). For me, I enjoy taking the Roberts bus from the airport ($15 round trip per person) and not dealing with a car - most of Waikiki is within easy walking distance, and there are bus stops a few steps away that will take you to more distant destinations.

I am sure that Honolulu used to have plenty of places like this - and many were torn down to make room for the high-rises. I recommend doing yourself a favor and checking out the Royal Grove as an example of how Waikiki used to be.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank bobby_l
Reviewed March 14, 2010

You will be surrounded by big, beautiful hotels on Waikiki...and you will be paying much less--and getting the basics: a room with a bed, mini fridge/sink, small bathroom and a little pool. Overall, it was a good experience for our short stay, but I think there are few people that would enjoy both 1. What the Waikiki area is like, and has to offer (like high-end shopping) and 2. also enjoy this kind of no-frills hotel.
You can walk to the beach, Diamond Head or downtown Honolulu (or use the bus if you aren't interested in walking a few miles) from this little place. Great location.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank katiereeves
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Royal Grove was a perfect hotel for a family holiday stay. We had a one bedroom suite on the 6th floor, and x-mas rates were $90 a night, a block from the beach - a price non-existent in Waikiki. There was a full kitchen with 4 burner electric stove, oven, sink, dishes, utensils, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, a full size refrigerator. In the first room there was also a dining table with chairs and two single beds with night stands. The bedroom had full size bed, a TV, dresser, a night stand, a full bathroom with tub, and a closet inside the bathroom. The lanai (balcony) overlooking Uluniu Street, was the length of both rooms, with two doors, you could comfortable seat a dozen people on it. Lanai had a table and three chairs. Looking towards the beach, you could see the ocean. Each room had a separate air conditioner, brand new and working perfectly and silently, with remotes.
The carpet in both rooms was is good shape, the paint was in good shape as well. Furniture was older, but matched fine. Bathroom was clean, except the air vent.
Beds had soft clean mattress pads, and clean sheets. The towels ranged from very new to very old, the oldest being offered at the pool.
If you would like good service (we did), leave a few bucks on the pillows and in the bathroom and get good towels and fresh sheets every day (we did LOL).
I chopped, fried, and baked in the kitchen, it was great. Gave some business to the store in the building. The big grocery store is down the street, and on that first jet-leg early morning, get an empty carry-on and load a gallon of milk, a pineapple, other provisions, some shucked oysters and wine (I did:) Thursdays 4-8 pm farmers come to the Waikiki market place, and it is easy to load with freshest produce and flowers for a week (we did).
If you have kids, get a $25 annual family pass to the zoo ( a ten minute walk).
Royal grove saves the beach paraphernalia left behind by the previous guests, and we had daily choices of straw mats, floaties (mats, donuts, boogie boards) that are stored by the pool. My daughter used the pool and enjoyed it.
When we arrived on Dec.23, there was a concert in the small lobby, and as we have walked in, the band greeted us and sang us a Hawaiian song.
I was assigned a long narrow lock box (like the ones at the bank) in the lobby, and stored valuables there when at the beach. The lobby staff was friendly and patient, they also were on the lookout for safety, trying to remember their guests.
Overall, if you are OK with the retro furniture, there is not much else to gripe about. I should also mention better quality Duke posters decorating our room walls - nice touch of Hawaiiana.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
14  Thank alex326600
Reviewed December 30, 2009

The "Little Pink Hotel" in Waikiki will forever be our "place to stay" on Oahu. We booked 5 months early, & had a nice 5th floor room facing Uluniu Ave. Perfect for what we wanted - a great location with a good view from the nice lanai (literally 3 minute walk to the beach). The cost was very low compared to all other decent lodging in Waikiki, & the owners & staff treated us (and every guest) like cousins from the Mainland! Of course, this pint-sized gem is not for everybody. Those that require grand entrances, breathtaking architecture, and gleaming marble columns should ante up the $200-500 per night for those places. If all you need is a place to sleep in clean beds, have a well-equipped kitchenette (with plates & dinnerware!), shower with great water pressure (and hot water!), feel welcomed every time you cross the warmly decorated lobby, and enjoy the company of like-minded regular folks - this is the best bet on Oahu. For perfect convenience, there's a nice corner sundry & liquor store actually in the building on Uluniu, along with Me's Korean BBQ (great food) and the Coconut Cafe for fruit smoothies & much other good stuff. Music night was Monday Dec 14, and it was almost 2 hours of fun, listening & singing along with the cadre of wonderfully talented "Kamaaina" musicians that volunteer their talent every week. This night the musician lineup included a guest from Japan playing her ukulele and the hotel's long-time owner, Mr. Fong and his lovely wife. I'm telling you - that kind of simple (no cost) fun & shared experience isn't likely to happen to a tourist anywhere else in Waikiki! Queen Lililuokalani's famous "Aloha O' E" song that ended the show was heartfelt, and much appreciated by all guests - some Europeans, some from Japan, Australia, New Zealand and of course - the Mainland. Get the picture? A real international group of people - all with a common link. The Spirit of Aloha is alive and well at The Royal Grove!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple