“Budget hotel with all the amenities”
Review of Royal Grove Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Royal Grove Hotel
Ranked #62 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Wigan
“Budget hotel with all the amenities”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect, just two blocks from Waikiki beach. Rooms are spacious with a plenty of storage room, bathroom complete with bath and a well equipped kitchenette. The hotel’s pool is small, but serves its purpose and we found we had it to ourselves the majority of the time. There is wifi available in the lobby area and laundry facilities for those on longer trips. Body boards, beach mats, snorkel gear, beach toys etc are all free to borrow which was great. Reception staff were helpful and courteous, happy to answer any queries. Many of the guests we chatted to had returned to this hotel year after year and I can understand why as it is exceptional value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Chatterboxmegan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Sydney
Reviewed June 12, 2014

After 4 fantastic days on Maui our expectations were high, but we were not disappointed.
The Royal Grove was outstanding value, so well located, clean, spacious, well-serviced and with a real feeling of warmth.
After a morning on the very close Waikiki Beach I could just lie on the bed or sit on the lanai enjoying the sound of other guests in the pool and looking at the sky.
The Monday night live music and dancing in which the owner participated was genuine and uplifting.
Back home in Sydney, on the same budget, I would probably have been in a backpacker hostel with a shared bathroom.
Yes, the fittings might be dated but the full kitchen had more than enough of everything and better knives that I have had in expensive places.
!!!!!! AND the room was serviced daily!

Room Tip: Our lanai looked over the pool rather than towards the beach but that didn't matter at all.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WarwickEdman
portland,oregon
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Yes,another trip at the Royal Grove! We stayed 9 days and had a great time. To those of you who have never stayed here this is what you are getting....2 blocks away from the beach,a kitchen with everything you need(you provide the food and drinks), right there you are saving tons of $$ which can be spent on other things like the Aloha Stadium flea market,they always have sand chairs,floaties,and other water toys to use all the time-More$$ saved..a small but fun pool with chairs and tables to set at.when you are in the pool area you forget there are tourists by the hundreds and lots of car noise outside of the place.The people at the desk are very friendly and helpful..I stayed at other Big name hotels there and will always go back to the Royal Grove.It is like being in Hawaii in the 50's when you stay there-but thats what we like.I always feel like Ohana when I am there and get sad when we have to leave. Next trip will be for months instead of days.Check them out..Oh and someone put in their review it was noisey..well you are right downtown in a busy city so yes it is going to be..if it is quiet you need-Makaha is for you.

Room Tip: ask for rm. 421 or 321 if there are more than 3 or 4 of you..amazing room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank skiddles
Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I am amazed by the positves expressed by travelers on this hotel. There are NO customer service skills by the clerks or anyone else. The air conditioner in our room was non functioning. They gave us a SMALL fan to place beside our bed. Every time we had small requests or had interaction, it was a unfriendly tone, unsmiling experience. Nothing even close to unreasonable requests-- We asked where the best location and bus would be to go to Chinatown. The male desk clerk gave a quick point to the back wall and said, " out that direction". We asked if they has a safety pin, they gave us a tiny little pin. We just avoided communication as much as possible after that.

The swimming pool experience was very poor. They were doing maintenance and construction work the entire week, so we sat around the pool listening to pounding nails and drills loudly buzzing for hours. Does that sound like a peaceful experience for a vacation? The computer situation was a joke. $1 for 10 minutes on a old computer that kept crashing and slow to respond. By the time you got to the site you wanted, the 10 minutes was over. And they have a dirty little sign written in crayon that reads, "Don't try to sneak on the computer with out paying. We SEE everything you do" How would that make you feel regarding hotel customer service and feeling at home? The sign was a synopsis for the entire hotel and staff: petty, dirty, unprofessional, and leaves you with a bad feeling and experience. No sense of Aloha whatsoever. Be leery people. Go some where else. This place needs to be shut down and torn down.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Brianlion57
Canberra (capital of) Australia
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I still feel this is the best value hotel in Waikiki although I have only actually stayed in one other - the Marriott which is not good value. I had a week at the RGH in a room on the pool side.

The aircon was a new whisper quiet one that disappointed me as previously I used the fan on full to mask outside noise from motor bikes and emergency vehicles and noisy revellers or internal door slammers or any loud noise.

I have written before on hints how best to make use of the full kitchen, such as taking all your basic food stuffs with you and then replacing the weight of those with all the things you buy and bring home. I also take a bit of dish washing liquid etc so that I don't have to waste time buying basics. There are great markets nearby at the Hyatt (Thurs 4-8) and the Kings Market (Mon, Wed and Fri 4-8), for fruit and other things. The Hyatt especially has some lovely take away food.

TheBus stops really close to the hotel.

The only complaint I can make this time is that the exceedingly elderly Panasonic TV was impossible to watch. I hope they invest in some new TVs before my next visit.

On my last 2 visits both times they have allowed me to have a very early check in for which I was very grateful.

Room Tip: Pool side a bit quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank sweetiedarling1
Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This was our third stay at the Royal Grove in Waikiki, but as always the staff were very helpful, we had a self catering room at the front, bigger than average, think it was 404, comfortable bed, noise not too much of a problem. Very reasonable price for being in the heart of Waikiki and 2 minutes walk from beach. We managed to be there for Monday night music, the band was even better than our last visit and added attraction was hula dancing. I think other people have discovered this hotel as it was very busy. You certainly need to book several months - at least 3 - in advance. We will certainly stay there again if we return to Honolulu.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Best deal in town! Less than 2 blocks from heart of Waikiki Beach. Walking distance to restuarants, shops, ABC convenience stores, McD's, etc. The hotel and staff are definitely old school friendly, smaller building/facility(although 6 floors), laid-back family-like, cozy comfort. Rooms are big, clean, bed is great, great shower water pressure (my #1 criteria), full kitchennette, a/c, small pool with poolside chairs/tables. Special amenities, cheap laudromat available, they will loan (no cost!)beach chairs, mats, umbrellas, and I think they even had bogieboards, Also free lock boxes for valuables. Quick access to room~step off street straight into elevator and up to room~no wait, no fuss! We would go no place else!

Room Tip: Poolside was nice & quiet~even though nxt to elevator, quiet!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple