“RUDE STAFF/UNHELPFUL/ROOMS OUTDATED”

Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Dallas, TX
“RUDE STAFF/UNHELPFUL/ROOMS OUTDATED”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We loved the view from our room however the room itself was dingy, outdated, old... it was really in need of a renovation. The staff was extremely rude except for Jocelyn at the front desk. She was quite helpful and informative. We were told that we can rent a vehicle from the hotel, and when I went downstairs to do this, the lady in the travel agent was busy talking to her friend that came to visit. So I walked in her office anyways and all that she can tell me was that it was $85/day for a rental. I ended up renting at the airport since it was only $38/day, when I went back to the hotel to ask for directions, the same travel agent was appalled that I decided to go get the rental from the airport and did not want to give me directions to Paradise Cove. I would not recommend this hotel nor would I ever stay here again. Customer Service goes a long way with me..

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TaylorI0
russchun, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Aloha! Mahalo for sharing your experience with the travel desk in our lobby when you attempted to rent a car. I sincerely apologize for the lack of professionalism on their part in handling your request. Even though they are an independent contractor they are held to the same standards of customer service that we strive for. I have shared your comments with them and reminded them of this fact. They also asked me to express their apologies to you for their lack of service.

I am glad, however, that Jocelyn at the Front Desk provided you the type of service you were expecting.

While our rooms have been recently upgraded with new carpet, wallpaper, bed linen and drapery, we are still working on additional improvements. We just received our new lanai furniture; are in the process of finishing up painting our lanais; adding pictures with a historical background; and are in the final stages of installing a new guest room entertainment and communication system (the 40" flat screen TV is part of the system) . Our decor is not "modern" as we have attempted to honor the historical and cultural heritage of the hotel.

Aloha and mahalo, Russell Chun General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Page, Arizona
Reviewed March 2, 2011

We have been coming to Honolulu and staying at the Queen Kap. for over 30 years. The last ten years we have stayed at least a month each time. The hotel is not a mint on your pillow type of experience. It's a no-nonsense value-priced hotel which allows us to spend a month without breaking the bank.

This time the hotel had been upgraded, which it seriously needed. We were so pleased when we walked in the room and saw a new kitchen unit (room 1418) new draperies, new paint, new bed, new carpet, re-done sinks and bathtubs and a 42" TV. It just blew us away! We were thrilled.

Have to tell you the restrooms on the pool deck level are awesome with the kind of toilet I have only seen at the airport in Seoul, Korea. This is some kind of toilet!

On the pool deck, which has been completely redone, are new lounge chairs were replaced and a total new breakfast cafe area. Just so nice. I loved it so much.

Sure, the elevators are slow, but I mentioned to several complaining people, "You want fast, then go to the other ocean view hotels for three times the price".

The furniture is dated, but it's ok with me. It's still just fine. The mattresses were new as was the bed linens. Even the towel linens were new everyday. By the furniture just being repainted and not replaced, I had memories of all the years we've stayed there, and what it was like before.

And who stays in a hotel for a month and gets clean sheets almost every night? It happens here, and housekeeping, because we asked, came in the mornings every day, so we'd have a fresh room early on.

Had some issues with the free internet on the lobby, 2nd and 3rd floor not working so well the first 9 days we were there. The hotel Manager, Mr. Russell Chun, addressed the issues with the many technical calls and he'd get back to us each day on the update of how he was trying to work things out. But the last two weeks of the trip, internet was up and working and for FREE. You could tell he wanted to make the guests happy. He really did try to make guests not complain about the slowness and not being able to get on the internet the first of the trip. Toward the middle of the month, internet was good as I said.

I read 11 books while I was gone the month. Mr. Chun placed on the second floor a number of books which we could take one and leave one. This was so thoughtful, so I didn't have to pay retail for all the books I read, and when I left, I left a bunch of books for the next people.

The front desk staff was awesome. Mostly I talked to Joycelyn, but the others were so nice to us, as they have been over the years we have been there.

The view from our room, we always get one of the kitchenette ocean view rooms, and the view warrants a hotel room priced in the $500 a night range. And it's only steps to the best beach, in my opinion on the uncrowded part of Kalakaua AV. This view is the best view one can imagine.

And another real plus, is that you are only steps away from the city bus stop. Never have we rented a car while we are in Honolulu. Always rely on city bus which is easy and very economical, and there is no car to park.

I love Queen Kapiolani hotel. It's simple, nicely done, good service and all our needs were met. I think the people who work there really do try hard to meet their guest's needs. I read trip advisor reviews all the time, and I know people don't always get their needs met when traveling, but I have always returned again and again to Queen Kapiolani Hotel. Even before the renovation, I felt my needs were met and the value was there.

Unfortunately this is our last trip to Hawaii. Not because of the experiences, but because we've purchased another house and will spend winters there. So Aloha to Hawaii and the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. Next winter I know we'll be tempted to return with the cheap airfares to come again, but it's time to say good-bye and Mahalo to the great staff at the Queen Kap.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple