“Terribly noisy and very unfriendly/rude staff”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Wil, Switzerland
“Terribly noisy and very unfriendly/rude staff”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

So we arrived around 12:30 pm at the hotel after a very short night on an overnight flight from Tokyo and all we wanted was to get some rest. Sure I knew that check-in only was at 3 pm and if the hotel was fully booked it might be difficult to get an early check-in. The receptionist then told us that the room was not ready yet and we should come back around 2:30 pm, which we did.

When we drove up to the parking I was asked if I wanted valet parking for $25 USD or not. Knowing that there is a $1 per hour parking just opposite the hotel and lots of 2 hour free parking as well as 6 pm - 10 am free night parking spaces along the beach road, also just about 150 m from the hotel, I declined.
Immediately the staff were very unfriendly, walked away from the car, obviously not willing to help take out luggage and talking to each other saying things like "they dont want valet".

So we took out our luggage and went to the reception where we were given a room that had NO WINDOWS. Only a weird thing like sun-blinds made from glass. Noise from the street and the construction that was going on next to the hotel, was terrible. It was like an open window.
We immediately went back to the reception and were then told by the same unfriendly receptionist that this is the room category I have booked and if I wanted another room, I would have to pay $20 for the upgrade.
I booked a room with NO WINDOWS? That was new to me. Anyways, I was then taking a look at the room of "higher category", which again -- surprise -- had no windows.
Back to the reception I was given keys to a room on "Mezzanine" floor. This room finally had a window, however a very poorly closing door to the balcony, which was right in front of the construction at that time. Noise was getting through the door almost the same way as if there was no door. It wasn't the slightest bit better, so we decided to stick to the original room, as it seems there are no rooms with proper windows AND doors.

As there was no closed window, not only the noise but also the heat got into the room easily. When we switched on the air condition it was like a train rolled through our room. Well at least the outside noise wasn't heard so badly anymore.

All I wanted was to get some rest after an exhausting overnight flight, however this wasn't even possible with earplugs.
On top of that most staff were really unfriendly/rude and to make things worse even WiFi wasn't working properly on the iPhone in our room.
Would not stay there again if it was $50 per night, let alone $160 which we paid.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fsm248
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we sincerely apologize for the negative reception you experienced upon arrival. That even though you did not Valet, they should have offered to unload your luggage. We will be talking to Management of the Valet company, since it is leased out. In regards to the early check in, when we are fully booked, it is very difficult to accommodate your request.

In Hawaii, jalousies are very popular for they allow light and breeze to cool the room and they resemble sun blinds made from glass. Unfortunantly, noise does penetrate from the construction across the street, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We do understand that they offered to move you to another room, but upon inspection, you decided to stay in the original room.

Noise from the A/C will soon be corrected since we are in the process of replacing the window units with a split system, which will be more efficient and much quieter. This change out is scheduled to be completed by May 2014.

Again, please accept our most sincere apologies and if I may be of assistance in booking your next stay, please give me a call to ensure a comfortable stay without noise.

Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Clean, quiet hotel. Across the street from the beach and Honolulu zoo. Walking distance from restaurants and store. Ice cream shop downstairs in the lobby. Pool was nice, not too many people there probably because they went to the beach. Had a great deck by the pool with a bar lounge but they were never open. Seemed the only time it was opened was for breakfast which we never ate at because we slept in.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Amalia A
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we truly appreciate your comments that it was relaxing, clean,quiet hotel. That the pool was nice with a great deck.

We agree that the location is excellent, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park with iconic Diamond Head in the background.
Not to mention the numerous restaurants and shopping galore.

If I may be of assistance during your next visit to our beautiful islands, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Guelph, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2014

This place saved my trip. As my air b and b cancelled on me two days before my trip & I couldn't find any place to stay in the same price range (last minute) except the Queen Kapiolani. I do NOT recommend Air B and B. With this hotel my reservation was secure. The staff kind and helpful. The pool deck is nice, though it closes sometimes by 8pm. The beds are really nice, though the bathtub needed replacing. Comes with nice TV, fridge, and coffeemaker. The cleaning staff were also great. It's a nice location for Waikiki. Though be informed Waikiki is a kind of a loud and noisy place. You come to realize those back up beeps on trucks should be banned!
Nice hotel for the price. Try to book a room on the diamond head side/ min two beds - as per lonely planet website.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Naomi M
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and it was wonderful to hear that Queen Kapiolani Hotel saved your trip when your Bed and Breakfast cancelled you, two days before your trip.

It was wonderful to hear that the Staff was kind and helpful, the beds really nice with 42" flat screen TV, coffee maker and free WIFI. Also, the cleaning Staff were great.

We do agree it is a nice location, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach, across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park, with iconic Diamond Head in the background.

In regards to the bathtub, we are in the process of refinishing the vanity sink and bathtub with replacement of the vanity light, which will greatly improve the bathroom experience.
This project is scheduled to be completed by the end of March 2014.

If I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The Queen Kapiolani is not a particularly modern hotel but it is clean, well serviced and the staff are friendly and obliging. The best thing about the hotel is its proximity to parks, Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach and the restaurants on Kapahulu Avenue which seem to have a more local than tourist feel about them.

Room Tip: If you like views get a room that looks onto Diamond Head.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ros V
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we appreciate your comment that we are unpretentious and great location. It was wonderful to hear that you found the property to be clean, well serviced and the staff are friendly and obliging.

Yes, we also feel that the location is excellent, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach and the main strip with its numerous restaurants and shopping. Right across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park and Honolulu Zoo with iconic Diamond Head in the background.

Cleveland, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The staff are amazing, friendly, and helpful. The lobby of the hotel is beautiful. Our room was clean but nothing fancy. The bathroom had been remodeled but the sink counter-tops had not been. I would have thought if doing an upgrade they would have been replaced too, they were old, cracked, and dingy looking. The air-conditioner was loud, you could hear the water pour out of it and it sounded like it was raining outside. We only needed our rooms for one night so we tried to find a place that was nice but cost less than others. Again, the hotel was nice, the staff would go out of their way to help you, and the location was great so you can walk everywhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and it was so wonderful to hear that the Staff was amazing, friendly and helpful. We are so proud of our employees and their ability to share "aloha" with our many visitors.

We were happy to hear that you found our Lobby beautiful and the room was clean. That the location was great, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach and the main strip with restaurants and shopping galore.

We certainly do apologize for the bathroom and we are in the process of refinishing the vanity counter/sink and bathtub with replacement of the vanity light to improve the bathroom experience, which will be completed by March 2014. In regards to the A/C unit, it is being replaced with a spit system which is very quiet and efficient and also scheduled for completion by March 2014.

If I may be of assistance during your next visit to our beautiful island, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Queen Kapiolani Hotel is located on the east end of Waikiki across from the Honolulu Zoo. The accommodations I received were good. Depending on the location of the room, you may hear the noise from the ballrooms. The room appeared a little older but clean and well-kept. I did find an occasional bug but the hotel staff were prompt in taking care of it. The parking fee is reasonable and valet only. Every hotel will charge for parking and I did like that fact that I had in and out privileges with the valet parking.

Since the hotel is on the edge of Waikiki, there are good road running trails around the Zoo and towards Diamond head. Plus being located on Kapahulu, you can walk to several restaurants on Kapahulu and away from the busy Waikiki area. If you are adventurous, Leonard's Bakery is about a mile walk from the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Aloha and thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. Yes, we do have a very good location, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach, right across the street from Honolulu Zoo and beautiful Kapiolani Park with amazing Diamond Head in the background. It was wonderful to hear that the accommodations received were good, clean and well kept. That any concerns you had were taken care promptly by the Hotel Staff.

As you mentioned, for those interested in walking and running, since we are on the edge of Waikiki, there are good road running trails around the Honolulu Zoo, Kapiolani Park and towards Diamond Head, which is part of the Honolulu Marathon route.

Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This was my third trip to this hotel in 3 years, and I was looking forward to the updating by Aqua hotel chain. Love that there is no resort fee, but the room rate was almost double my last stay. My room this time was the shabbiest and smallest one I have had there. Beautiful view of the beach, but the old carpet and furnishings(and bath) were not what I had expected for the dramatic price increase. The new bed and tv were appreciated. Street noise was minimal with the a/c on. The staff is delightful, professional, and accommodating.
The pool area, with its spectacular view of Diamond Head and Kapiolani Park, is a gem. The new a la carte menu for breakfast was appreciated, but at my table, we had two different menus with different prices and sides. I'm certain that will be corrected. The staff at the pool/restaurant was efficient, but they had a difficult time keeping up with the AM rush.
I love this hotel and want to return, but I hope they will update more rooms and attempt to keep the prices reasonable. The location is perfect for access in and out of Waikiki by car and bus. It's a real oasis on the edge of Waikiki.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 741lolo
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we truly appreciate your comments, especially since you are a returnee. Yes, there is no resort fee and we are glad that you had a beautiful view of the beach from your room, with a new bed, 42" flat screen TV, refrig, safe and complimentary WIFI. It was wonderful to hear that the staff was delightful, professional and accommodating.

We certainly do apologize that you booked a smaller room category and we do offer larger rooms with balconies. In regards to the bathroom furnishing, we are in the process of refinishing the vanity sink and bathtub with replacement of the vanity light to improve the bathroom experience. This project will be completed by the end of March 2014, with replacecment of the A/C window unit to a split system, which will be more efficient and quiet.

Our commitment to you, is to continually improve the product, for we have the perfect location, a real oasis on the edge of Waikiki, as you mentioned.