“One of my favorite spots, but...”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Gig Harbor, Washington
“One of my favorite spots, but...”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This was my third trip to this hotel in 3 years, and I was looking forward to the updating by Aqua hotel chain. Love that there is no resort fee, but the room rate was almost double my last stay. My room this time was the shabbiest and smallest one I have had there. Beautiful view of the beach, but the old carpet and furnishings(and bath) were not what I had expected for the dramatic price increase. The new bed and tv were appreciated. Street noise was minimal with the a/c on. The staff is delightful, professional, and accommodating.
The pool area, with its spectacular view of Diamond Head and Kapiolani Park, is a gem. The new a la carte menu for breakfast was appreciated, but at my table, we had two different menus with different prices and sides. I'm certain that will be corrected. The staff at the pool/restaurant was efficient, but they had a difficult time keeping up with the AM rush.
I love this hotel and want to return, but I hope they will update more rooms and attempt to keep the prices reasonable. The location is perfect for access in and out of Waikiki by car and bus. It's a real oasis on the edge of Waikiki.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 741lolo
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we truly appreciate your comments, especially since you are a returnee. Yes, there is no resort fee and we are glad that you had a beautiful view of the beach from your room, with a new bed, 42" flat screen TV, refrig, safe and complimentary WIFI. It was wonderful to hear that the staff was delightful, professional and accommodating.

We certainly do apologize that you booked a smaller room category and we do offer larger rooms with balconies. In regards to the bathroom furnishing, we are in the process of refinishing the vanity sink and bathtub with replacement of the vanity light to improve the bathroom experience. This project will be completed by the end of March 2014, with replacecment of the A/C window unit to a split system, which will be more efficient and quiet.

Our commitment to you, is to continually improve the product, for we have the perfect location, a real oasis on the edge of Waikiki, as you mentioned.

If I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orange
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed in at Queen Kaopiolani over the newyear period. The hotel is Beautiful! They foyer is spectacular, the staff are very helpful and the rooms are very nice. We were on the 18th floor with a mountain and beach view - lovley!
The zoo is next door- though it was noisy on the first night, we didnt hear it after that.
Waikiki beach is a couple hundred meter walk from the hotel and its in walking distance to shopping, bars and restaurants.
Rooms are very well kept.
I have to say i was a bit concerned by some comments on here about the hotel, however when we arrived my concernes vanished.
This is a great hotel if you dont have the need to be in the middle of Waikiki, and are happy walking around to get to places.
Some of the tours do pick ups put the front of the hotel which is also another bonus.
In the foyer if the hotel is the expedia group so you can book all different things - this is great also! take advantage of this as we did and couldnt have asked for more!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jade O
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we truly appreciate your comment that it was "impressive." That the Hotel is beautiful, the foyer is spectacular, the rooms are very nice with lovely views of the mountains and beach. Not to mention that the rooms are very well kept.

We agree that the location great, minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach, right across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park, with amazing Diamond Head in the background.

Again, thank you for your comments and if I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Expensive, however we had an amazing view of Diamond Head. This was ideal to relax with a drink on the balcony. The pool was almost unsuitable, mainly due to the cold period Hawaii experienced. Very few pools here are heated. It made us look for the next hotel with a hot tub. Not that this is any fault to this hotel. I found that the pool closed too early.
cons
- A/C was old and very noisy,
- Carpet was stained
- Out-dated room
- Pool was too cold, however exceptionally cold period for Hawaii.
Pros
- Bar near pool
- Location
- Balcony

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we truly appreciate your comments.It wonderful to hear that you had a amazing view of Diamond Head from your room...and to enjoy the view with a drink on the balcony is the ideal way to relax. We do agree that the location is ideal, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach with beautiful Kapiolani Park right across the street.

In regards to the A/C, we are in the process of replacing the window units with a split system, which is more efficient and quiet. This project will be completed by the end of March 2014. We are continually improving the rooms and the vanity sink and bathtub are being refinished with new vanity lighting, which will greatly improve the bathroom experience.

We believe that upon your return visit, you will notice many new improvements that will make your stay more enjoyable. Please do not hesitate to give me a call, if I may be of assistance in booking your reservation.

Mill Creek, Washington
Reviewed February 8, 2014

My senior mom and I enjoyed several wonderful days at the Queen Kapiolani on two trips (we stopped over in Honolulu between a longer flight). The Honolulu zoo is across the street (about 1 block walk) and the beaches are close too (1 to 2 blocks). They have a great pool and bar, and the staff are wonderful for anything you might need. Keala was exceptionally kind when we first arrived and helped calm my frazzled mom with her professional yet friendly manner-and remembered us when we returned-amazing! Eilene's interest in our day and positive reply to my artwork won my heart, and the reservation manager was incredible and kindly helped us with an error I'd made while booking online. Stanson, one of the hotel busboys made a point to remember my name, and details about each of our interactions, as did the others too! Thank you all very much for helping my Mom (and me!) have a great time in Waikiki!. In our book, this hotel is an "oldie but goodie!" Aloha and Mahalo! :)

Room Tip: Some rooms seem to have more wear and tear. If having the room look newer is important to you, ask w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Aloha and thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. It was so great to hear that the staff was wonderful and went out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. We are very proud of our staff and their ability to share "aloha" with our visitors.

We do agree that the location is great, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach,
across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park with amazing Diamond Head in the background.

Thank you for referring to us as the oldie but goodie and if I may be of assitance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and were happy with most things. The location is great, just a half a block from the beach and about 2 blocks from all the craziness on the main strip. The view from the pool is unreal, and the pool area itself is clean and comfortable. Unfortunately there were some times with many children running and playing in the pool with tonnes of snorkelling equipment and floaty toys (even though it says that you cannot have these in the pool), but not a huge deal. Lots of great lounging areas and chairs around the pool along with a seating area and bar under a roof for some shade. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The hotel itself was clean and I enjoyed the jugs of iced water in the lobby area. I had read some reviews that talked about homeless people outside of the hotel - there are lots of them, mostly across the street sleeping in the bus shelter, but they keep to themselves. There are also some that sleep on the side walks on the main strip - again, they keep to themselves. One thing that we didn't love was the size of our room - it was like a dorm room! I was travelling with a friend, so we had requested two beds, well we got two single beds about a foot apart with just enough room for one suitcase at the foot of one bed and one suitcase in the closet. We joked that we were given the tiny room because we booked the hotel through a travel website. The room was even off in it's own area without any other rooms around it - it was like the reject room! But really, we were only there to sleep so it wasn't a huge deal in the end, it became more comical than anything. The air conditioning unit in our room was super high up, I'm not the tallest person but there was no way that I could reach it. My friend, who is about 5 '10, could just reach the buttons! We scoured the room for a remote for the unit but couldn't find one. I'm thankful that my friend had some height, otherwise we would have baked over night (we did leave the unit off one night and the humidity was unbearable by the morning).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we certainly do agree that it is a great location - minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach and craziness of the main strip, across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park and amazing Diamond Head in the background. The bonus is that this can be enjoyed from our 3rd floor pool deck.

It was wonderful to hear that you found the staff very helpful and friendly, the hotel itself was clean with refreshing iced water next to the Front Desk.

In regards to the room size, we do offer larger accommodations and would be glad to assist you on your next visit. As for the A/C, we are in the process of replacing the window unit with a split system by March 2014, which will be more efficient and quieter.

Again, please give me a call if I may be of assistance during your next visit.

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed at the Queen K for two weeks in January, 2014 and enjoyed myself immensely! Rooms are very nice and kept clean daily. Every hotel staff that we encountered helped us with any questions we may have had. A plus would be laundry facilities on site and room refrigerators, air conditioners and a pool! When I come back to Honolulu, I'll stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Mommbear_ak
Aloha and thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. We are so glad that you were surprised and that you enjoyed yourself immensely. That you found the rooms very nice and kept clean daily.

What was music to our ears was that every hotel staff you encountered helped you with any question you had. We are very proud of our employees and the "aloha" they share. We are glad that the on site laundry facilty was a plus as well as the room refrig, A/C and pool.

Please give me a call if I may be of assistance during your next visit to our beautiful island!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Hotel is dated. We did not get the room we booked, after speaking with the desk, it was changed, still not correct but was better. They said we did not specify king bed. Which was not true, I heard them tell my son the same thing. We were suppose to have ocean view, which we did I guess if you look around the other hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful.
Room was clean and the bed was comfortable(1010), which was good. We did not get much sleep though, thanks to the bar in the next hotel, the hostels down the alley, the construction next door and the garbage pick up which usually sarted at 5am.
The area smelled of pot but nobody bothered you. The park and beach is close so that is a bonus.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we certainly do appreciate your comments. We are glad that the Front Desk was able to change your room which was better and that you found the room clean and comfortable. In regards to your bedding request, we certainly do apologize, but due to many request, are not able to guarantee all bedding request.

For your information, we are working with our neighbors to control the noise and the garbage company to pick up at a later time. As you mentioned, the location is definitely a bonus, with world famous Waikiki Beach just minutes away and beautiful Kapiolani Park right across the street with iconic Diamond Head in the background.

If I may be of assistance, during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.