“Good Value, Best views in Waikiki”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Anchorage, Alaska
“Good Value, Best views in Waikiki”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have stayed here five times, with my son, with my daughter, and with my wife. The views of Diamond Head are incomparable. I suggest a Diamond Head view room. We used to get upgraded a lot, but since the remodel the prices have risen and the upgrades disappeared. It is still my favorite Waikiki stay. The pool is great, the staff is friendly, and the location is perfect. A but of a walk to the heart of Waikiki, but being on the edge of the hustle and bustle is nice. Walking west you find all the action. Walking w=east there are tennis courts, peaceful beaches, and a beautiful park.

Room Tip: Diamond Head view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you feel the views of iconic Diamond Head are the best. That the pool is great and the staff is friendly, and the location is perfect.

Like you, we believe being on the edge, right across the street from Honolulu Zoo and the beautiful Kapiolani Park, and minutes from world famous Wakiki Beach is ideal. Not to mention being minutes away from all the action of Waikiki.

If I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

To start they said we owed more money at check in which is bogus because we booked a package through our travel agent. We are still out the extra $130. The lobby looks nice and updated but it stops there. Our room had burns in the carpet, very dated dinghy bath, there was a tiny balcony with one chair and the door didn't lock. The room was quite warm and after looking around for the a/c we saw a tiny unit in the corner over the balcony. We ended up opening the windows which was noisy. We went down to the pool for a drink and sat for an excessive amount of time before the girl took our order and she never came back to see if we wanted another round. Horrible dude playing something he thought was music. There were families with small children who left because the lyrics were so inappropriate. In a nutshell...it was the worst part of our otherwise wonderful vacation.

6 Thank ldk7419
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and we truly apologize for not living up to your expectations. If you feel that you overpaid, please provide us the documentation so that we may follow up with your travel agency.

In regards to your room, please assist us by providing your dates of travel and name so that we may do a inspection of the unit and get back to you.

The restaurant and bar is leased out to a operator, and we will bring up your experience regarding the service received and the inappropriate music that was playing. We are a family resort and we strive to provide a wonderful experience to our visitors.

Again, Thank You for sharing your experiences, for by understanding our shortcomings, we can improve our product and services so that we may win back your trust and consideration for your next visit.

Ron

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

+ close to the beach (less than 5' walk), zoo, diamond head, bus station

what could be improved:
provide wifi in the rooms for free (not only at the lobby)
exchange furniture in the room
exchange the ugly fire extinguisher at the ceiling
make sure that tv works and that service man reacts quickly (the guy arrived after 2 hours when we followed up at the desk)
make sure that local calls work
provide luggage storage at the check out day for free (paid 2 bucks per baggage)

our conclusion: we won't stay here again - not good value for money

3 Thank swisscouple1983-rtw
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we are truly sorry for not being able to fulfill your expectations. It was wonderful to hear that the location of the property was good, close to world famous Waikiki Beach, Honolulu Zoo with a amazing view of iconic
Diamond Head.

In regards to WIFI, we are definitely working on providing the service to the rooms and are
currently working on improving the casegoods in the room. We are disappointed to hear that you had problems with your TV and the Maintenance man responded 2 hours after you reported it to the Front Desk. Please accept our most sincere apology.

If you would give us another opportunity to serve you, I would be glad to personally assist you in your reservation, so that we may provide the best possible accommodations on your
visit.

Hoodsport, Washington
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were so excited to have this room, right over Waikiki Beach, next to the Honolulu Zoo and Queen Kapiolani Park, with one of the best views of Diamond Head in town. Every time we walked into the room we felt so blessed to be there and to have such a view of paradise. We almost hated to leave to go to all the beautiful beaches, hikes, snorkeling, restaurants, etc., but we were sometimes able to pull ourselves off the lanai.
The staff was all so friendly and we felt like they became family over the time we stayed there. A special shout out to the Bellman, Shane Tokunaga for going the extra mile, sharing his knowledge of the island and helping us experience wonderful island-style adventures.
We highly recommend the Queen Kapiolani and would love to return ourselves.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Aslan M
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. It was so wonderful to hear that every time you walked into your room and saw that iconic view of Diamond Head, you felt so blessed to be here in paradise.

It was equally heartwarming to hear that our Staff was so friendly that they became family over the time you stayed. That they helped you experience the wonderful island style adventures that put you in touch with what the island has to offer.

Again, Thank You, andi if I can be of service on your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here for 8 nights and I would never stay here again. I am the sort of person that usually likes to see the positives in things. The only real positive things I could see in this place were that I could see the ocean from my room and that the elevator was generally quick.
But sadly the negatives outweighed the positives. I chose this hotel over another based on the free in room Wifi, this did not work once during my entire stay! Every time I would ring the front desk to ask about it they would say 'oh I don't know, I will tell my manager and have him call you' or 'the wifi isn't working right now, we are getting it fixed'.... In 8 nights, 9 days it never got fixed! Also the manager never called me to discuss my complaint and I wasn't offered any compensation.
When I checked in the girl did not talk me through anything I needed to know about the hotel, eg. That the key card was needed to operate the elevator, there was a free in room safe, where the pool was etc. I have seen other staff give people all this information on check in.
The rooms were not sound proof at all, I could always here conversations from the rooms either side of me. As well as this the windows were not proper windows, they were just shutters so they don't completely seal up meaning you can hear a lot of traffic, people in the pool/bar, animals at the zoo and it also let a lot of the heat in during the day. Most afternoons there was a concert or something on at the bar which would be good if you were over 21 and able to access that level during this time (also preventing access to patrons wanting to use the pool) except instead I was just bothered by the noise in my room.
Pool was freezing cold, housekeeping was average, not great. Rooms are very small but I didn't need anything bigger as I travelled solo. Air conditioning was ok. Laundry was in the car park, it was very hot with not much fresh air.
Location wasn't central to many resturants and shops but it wasn't too far to walk. Overall I wouldn't stay here again as it is very overpriced for what it is.

2 Thank Travellover031092
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we truly apologize that you did not have consistant WIFI service. Unfortunately, the provider of the service was experiencing equipment problems and the Hotel has decided to work with another provider so that we may provide a quality product to our guest. We assure you that upon your next visit, we will have a reliable and efficient network.

It was nice to hear that you could see the ocean from your room and that the elevators were quick and efficient. In regards to the jalousiies, many of our guest appreciate them
for they allow the cool mountain breeze to cool the room. For your information, we will be
addressing the noise intrusion and hope to have a solution in the near future.

Again, we apologize regarding the WIFI and we will have a reliable system in place, if you will give us the opportunity to serve you again, If I may be of assistance on your next visit to Oahu, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Older hotel but has everything you need.
Quick free WIFI, small fridge & Air cond. Bathrooms are a little tired but all are clean & tidy.
Close to everything. If you have a larger group ask the valet to hook you up with a Limo driver, prices are fixed and can take up to 8 at a time cheaper than a taxi. ie my driver Tony took us to Whaikeli Outlet shopping for $75 each way (we gave a tip on top) around 45mins away for 8 of us, very cheap & by taxi it would be the same but for 4 people. He does airport for $50 same as taxi too. Ala Moana is a must & designer clothes at cheap cheap prices find a Ross's dress for less, awesome.
If youre going to Pearl Harbour go before 6.30am & collect your tickets to see the musium & ship wrecked USS Arizona or you won't get in till late afternoon, TAKE BREAKFAST & MUNCHIES, you will wait. Very beautiful experience, well worth it.
Eat at the Cheesecake Factory & at Dukes but get their early or wait 2 hours for a table.
Chilli's is another favourite.
Make sure you take an extra bag, you will fill it for sure even if youre not much of a shopper.
Aloha

Room Tip: Stay away from the side alley rooms ending in 09 or 10 as next to laundry/rubbish shoots and lanewa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Aloha! Thank you very much for sharing your recent stay with us. Like many of our guest,
you felt the location was great and close to everything. While the Hotel was older, it had everything you needed and was clean and tidy.

In regards to the bathrooms, we are in the process of refinishing the vanity sink and bathtub. Also we are replacing the bathroom lighting to create a better experience.

If I can be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The location isn't great, but it's a decent hotel. Thankfully, we had what they called a suite (table, 2 chairs, dishwasher - which makes no sense since, coffee maker besides room & bathroom. This is a very old hotel (bathtub is green - probably 40s or 50s era). We had 2 double beds, which makes sleeping challenging (have a queen at home). The pool is nice but only 5' deep. There are a few good restaurants within walking distance. Hotel staff and bellmen/valets were all very helpful and professional. If you stay here, be sure to try Teddy's Bigger Burgers and Lulu's for food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GORDONCHICK
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent experiences while staying at the Queen Kapiolani
Hotel. It was wonderful to hear that the Staff, Bellmen and Valets were all very helpful and professional. We are very proud of our Staff for they provide that wonderful experience of "Aloha."

In regards to the bathroom, we are in the process of refinishing the vanity and bathtub, with new lighting to brighten the experience.

Again, thank you for staying and if I can be of assistance on your next visit, please do not hesitate to ask.