“Too much hype for an average hotel”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Honolulu
“Too much hype for an average hotel”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Recently stayed at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel and didn't exactly have the best experience. For one, the WIFI is a bit spotty and below average. It can also get really noisy because of the zoo and I think they're doing construction? My last complaint was a bellman hitting on my girlfriend thinking she was single because I wasn't there at check in.

Other than these 3 complaints, the hotel is as expected... Standard rooms that you've seen before if you've been to any hotels. The location has it's pros and cons. The pros of the location would be it's near the zoo, on the outside of Waikiki, near the beach and a shorter distance to Diamond Hike compared to other hotels. The cons of the location I think is that it can get pretty scary at times at night. With homeless people lurking nearby, a lot of drunks and lighting not so good in the area, I'd proceed with caution after 10pm.

FYI - Parking for a day is $25 and I think it's $6 per hour.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Aloha! Thank you very much for sharing your recent experiences with us. We certainly do apologize for the WIFI being spotty and below average, especially during this age, where we
need to stay connected to the ever changing world. In regards to the Bellman hitting on your girlfriend, that is not acceptable and we will look into this matter. While we want to offer friendly and warm service, we need to know the boundries, and we offer our sincere apologies.

The standard room is our most economical accommodations and our location is great as mentioned by many of our visitors. Being at the more quiet end of Waikiki, overlooking world famous Diamond Head and beautiful Kapiolani Park. In regards to the homeless, the City and County is aware of this situation and addressing this concern.

Again, please accept our apologies and if I can be of assistance on your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Queen Kapiolani hotel was great! We booked through a travel agent, and the price was cheaper then most. We were expecting a dump for that cheap. It was very clean, about a block from the beach, and on the quiet side of Waikiki.
The rooms are small, but very clean, with great views. The bed was comfortable and big. The staff was very friendly and accommodating to anything we needed. The pool has an amazing view of diamond head, but the pool is small, and the Buffet is expensive for ok food.
The negatives: slatted room windows, which we heard EVERYTHING happening on the streets and in the zoo. Only valet parking for $20 a day. No self parking. Elevator got stuck a couple times, and only moved again when you re-entered your room key. Bathrooms are dark and very small.
Overall it was a really great hotel for such a cheaper beach hotel. I would stay there again and would recommend it to others.

2 Thank Jeriberrry
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we are truly happy that to you, Queen Kapiolani Hotel was a Great Hotel! That for the price, you experienced a clean property, about a block from the beach, on the quiet side of Waikiki.

It was wonderful to hear that while the rooms were small, they were very clean, with great views,
not to mention the comfortable and big bed. It was especially heart warming to hear that the staff was very friendly and accommodating to anything you needed.

In regards to the slatted room windows, we are planning to renovate them so that noise will not impact the room occupants and are upgrading the lights in the bathrooms.

Thank you for recommending us to others and informing them we are a great hotel.

Willmar, Minnesota
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This was my 9th stay at the Queen Kapiolani and will not be my last. Since my last visit my wife and were greeted with new elevators (YEAH) what a great improvement that goes along with the great pool renovation from a couple of years ago. The from desk moved to the interior of the lobby which really enhances the great lobby. Cutting to the chase, we choose to stay at the Queen because of value and most importantly STAFF! Shane and Jocelyn have been taking care of us since our first visit to the Queen K in 2001. My kids have grown up with Shane and my youngest son and him have a special bond. These 2 employees are almost like ohana to our family. They make our trips special. The rooms are what we expect, and we always stay in a room that ends in a '02 which is a Diamond Head view room. The housekeeping is outstanding and take care of our needs. The Queen meets our needs but we do not spend a ton of time in our hotel room so why pay for that. In fact how many hotels had to much HOT water? Well the Queen has plenty at any time of the day, I have personally recommended this hotel to many friends and relatives who all have been satisfied with the value and the location of the Queen.
Most important get to the know the staff, many like Teresa, Blaine, Jared, and Kealani will make your trip enjoyable, and say hi to Shane and Jocelyn and tell them the Reynolds family recommended the Queen they will take care of you and what more can you ask for in a hotel? We will be back again next March hopefully sooner! Aloha

Room Tip: Upgrade a class or two from the city view that is often quoted in package deals. I have always staye...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mikreyn
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent experiences during your 9th stay and it was wonderful to hear that it will not be your last. Yes, the elevators have been completely modernized and are providing fast, efficient service to our guest. Not to mention the beautiful views from our 3rd floor pool deck and our great lobby with new Front Desk.

Most importantly, it was wonderful to hear that the staff is like family to you and it is our goal to establish that feeling with each and everyone of our guests that stay with us. Not only the Front
Desk staff but the Housekeepers, Bell Desk and Valets.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to your 10th visit.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The rooms are so small and the shower/bathroom is really small. The neighbors are really noisy and loud at times.
I absolutely loved the friendly and kind hearted front desk, staff, and especially the bell men. They definitely made my stay there a great one. Shane & Jared, thank you so much for great stay and hope to come back and stay with queen kapiolani hotel again! :)

• Stayed March 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent experience while staying at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel.
We certainly do apologize for the small room and that your neighbors were noisy at times. We do have security and if you had reported the disturbance to the Front Desk, we would have been glad to address your concerns. In regards to the size of the room, we do have larger rooms in other categories that may have suited your needs.

It was wonderful to hear that you absolutely loved the friendly and kind hearted Front Desk and especially the Bellman. That they made your stay there great and that you hope to come back and stay at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel.

When you do book your reservations for your return trip, please do not hestate to give me a call so that I may assist you in your booking.

Nashville
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My mom actually booked this hotel for me so I had no idea what to expect when we arrived. I'll start with the one huge negative- to park on the property you have to do valet, which while extremely convenient, costs $20 a day +tips! I love the openness that this hotel offers, as does the majority of places in Honolulu, including the airport! Ice cream shop on the property and it is delicious. Poolside, "rooftop" bar on the 3rd floor. Nice place to nap and/or enjoy happy hour cause there was no one there but a couple of families when we stopped by around 3pm one afternoon. There is also excellent breakfast choices in the hotel, but I recommend going around the corner to LuLu's and getting the stuffed French Toast!!! The beach is a block away and it is directly across the street from the zoo. Our 11th floor room had a great view of the ocean, Diamond Head, and the Elephants. It was small but I wasn't on Ohau to stay in my room anyways.
We had some issues getting some extra towels, but after 3 failed attempts and waiting a couple of hours someone finally answered and delivered.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank katys862
Aloha! Thank you very much for sharing your experiences during your recent stay at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. It was wonderful to hear that even though you felt the room was small, you had a great view of Diamond Head and the ocean. For your information, we do have larger rooms with the same amazing views.

Many of our guests do comment on the openess of the lobby and the beatiful pool deck that probably has the best view of Diamond Head. World famous Waikiki Beach is just a block away and Honolulu Zoo is directly across the street.

We do offer Valet Parking on site, but for those who would like to park their own vehicles, there is public parking across the street at the zoo.

If I may be of service on your next visit to our beautiful islands, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have to start by saying that I that I read the reviews before booking and noted that some were good and some were bad. I think I focused on what I wanted to experience booking here and chalked the bad reviews up to people being picky. So here is my review:
LOCATION: it is on the edge of Waikiki closest to Diamond Head. I thought this would be good but should've booked somewhere in the middle or the opposite end. We stayed close to Fort DeRussy 2 years ago and much preferred that area. At risk of sounding discriminatory, there were a lot of homeless people nearby the Queen Kapiolani end of Kalahulu and while they weren't bothering anyone, it just wasn't a pleasant feeling.
THE GOOD: We booked a Diamond Head view room and it delivered as promised! The pool area shared this same awesome view. The main lobby area is also very nice. The 3 elevators all worked fine- no problems. The front desk staff were pleasant and dealt with hot water issues in our room (511) with offers to change rooms or to use another room for showering. They also gave us vouchers for breakfast which was nice.
THE BAD: Rooms are VERY small with 2 double beds not queens. This would've been OK FOR 2 people but not 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Our room was clean but quite run down especially in the bathroom. Believe the pictures you see about the bathrooms.There is free Wifi but it was not consistent.
OVERALL: it was ok but we prefer staying in condos and will do so if we return to Waikiki.

• Stayed March 2013
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Aloha! Thank you very much for your comments and we were disappointed to hear that your accommodations of 2 double beds did not meet your expectations for a family of 4. We do have units that are more spacious, such as a Junior Suite that has kitchenette facilities. Please accept our most humble apology for the bathroom and we are in the process of refinishing the vanity and tub, which will give it a fresh look.

It was wonderful to hear that the Diamond Head View room and the pool deck delivered a awesome view of world famous Diamond Head and Waikiki Beach. That the lobby was very nice and all of the elevators worked fine. It was especially nice to hear that the Front Desk Staff were pleasant and dealt with the hot water problem in a nice manner.

While we understand that you prefer staying in condos, we do feel that our Junior Suite would be great accommodations on your next visit to our beautiful island. If I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We recently stayed at Queen Kap for three nights for our first visit to Honolulu. Our room was a little tired looking and needed updating and/or a coat of paint but the view of Diamond Head was amazing. We even had a small water view as well. The location overlooking the park and zoo was perfect......walking distance to everything. They have recently replaced all of their elevators and appear to have an ongoing plan to update everything. The breakfast buffet is excellent value. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall we were happy with our stay.

1 Thank Anne W
Aloha! Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. Your comment regarding the room being a little tired is much appreciated and the
Executive Housekeeper is reviewing the condition of the paint. It was wonderful to hear that the view of world famous Diamond Head was amazing and the location overlooking the park and zoo was perfect.

We certainly do appreciate your comment that the staff were very friendly and helpful, for we pride ourselves in providing a great guest experience to those that stay with us. As a result, you were very happy with the overall experience.

If I may be of service during your next visit to our beautiful island, please do not hesitate to give me a call.