“Gotta Love It!”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #61 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Have stayed here for 11 years, even when it needed some TLC,, still needs a little more in the rooms but the hotel staff, Jocelyn at the front desk in the morning, Theresa in the evening make you feel so at home... ready to help in any way they can!! And oh my goodness Shane the bellman... wouldn't be the same without him, always knows where to send you for anything you want to do!! Great location.. terrific pool...great bar...wish the restaurant was open for dinner. Terrible gift shop... go to the ABC store, at least they speak to you there! Rooms as clean and housekeeping staff is very friendly, have never had to worry about anything missing in our room. New ice cream shop in the lobby is great!!! Valet parking guys are all very friendly, just love Atta!

2  Thank Stephanie Y
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Aloha! Thank you very much for your comments and we are thrilled to hear that you feel at home, because you are family to us. We feel it is very important to provide a wonderful guest
experience, especially to those that return year after year.

It was wonderful to hear that the front of the house staff are so welcoming and that the rooms are clean and Housekeeping is very friendly. Also,that the Valet parking guys are all very friendly and that you love Atta.

In regards to the Gift Shop, we will definitely talk to the owner and ask him to be welcoming to our guest.

We look forward to your return visit, and if I can be of assistance, please give me a call.

There are newer reviews for Queen Kapiolani Hotel

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We recently stayed at the Queen Kapiolani, and had a great experience.

We were given an upgrade (to a Junior Suite) when we checked in, and were thrilled with the ocean view. Our room was really clean, and the bed was really comfortable. I appreciated the virtually silent air conditioner, and the windows that opened to create a cross-breeze.

Compared to similar hotels, the Queen Kapiolani is a great option in my books.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha! Thank you for your kind comments and it was wonderful to hear that you had a great experience. We strive to provide a memorable stay for all of our guest.

It was nice to hear that you were thrilled with the ocean view from your room, which we feel is spectacular and that your room was very clean and comfortable.

We are glad to hear that you appreciated the virtually silent A/C and the windows when opened, created a cross breeze, which we refer to as the cooling tradewinds.

If I can be of assistance on your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

this is my third year in a row staying at the Queen Kapiolani. im a little hesitant to write a review again only because i want to keep this hotel a secret... The more popular it gets, the higher prices go.. With that aside, unless something tragic happens, or i win the lottery, i dont think id stay anywhere else. The elevators have finally been upgraded. No phantom stops on the 16th floor. The staff is wonderful, especially Mica at the front desk. The location is excellent - steps from the beach, across the street from the zoo, and away from all the craziness of kuhio, kalakaua, and overpriced boutiques. the internet connection in the room is excellent, the rooms are clean although the bathrooms are a little tired. Time for an upgrade there.. But then again, maybe not so i can keep staying for an affordable price! Still waiting for my wow experience here.. As a third year in a row customer, it'd be nice for a little note on the bed and a little sumthin (even an upgrade to a diamond head view?!) to acknowledge repeat clients. Otherwise, i love this hotel for everything it offers.. Friendly service, great location, easygoing atmosphere, great breakfast buffet, internet service, no ridiculous resort fees, good beds and pillows, nice toilettries and good value. I could do without the louvered windows which make sleeping at night not the kost quiet... But they do let in fresh air without needing the AC. Will definitely stay again so long as the price presents equivalent balue to previous years. Thanks for a great stay again. Great peace of mind when traveling.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a king bed. Good cross ventilation and better natural light. They end in...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank SoloCdn
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Aloha! 3rd year in a row...what a wonderful testament and thank you for continuing the journey, as we continually upgrade and improve the property. That you don't think you would stay anywhere else.

Yes, the elevators have gone thru a modernization and the location is excellent. One thing we are very proud about is the staff going above and beyond, in regards to our guest.

This year, we will be focusing on improving the bathrooms and have put in place a program to refinish the vanities and bathtubs, so they will have a fresh presentation.

We want to continue giving you peace of mind when traveling, so if I may be of assitance, please give me a call.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel may be an older gal, but hides her age well. We were upgraded (at no additional cost) to a Jr. Suite. Our room was on the 16th floor and we had maginificent views of Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach and the Honolulu Zoo!. Room was very clean and air conditioner was excellent. Staff was extemely helpful...valet retrieved our car within minutes of our request. As it was extremely windy (gusts up to 50 mph) we only briefly went out on the lanai. Location is excellent to everything and restaurants are within walking distance. If we are ever in the area again, we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a view of Diamond Head.
2  Thank Sharon G
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent experience regarding your stay at Queen Kapiolani Hotel and that if you ever in the area again, you would definitely stay with us again.

It was wonderful to hear that the staff was extremely helpful and the valet retrieved your car within minutes of your request. Also, that the room was very clean and A/C was excellent.

Furthermore, you had a magnificent view of Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach and the Honolulu
Zoo from your room.

Again, we thank you for staying and if I can be of assistance on your next visit, please do not hesitate to gve me a call.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

After scoring cheap airfare to Honolulu a few months ago, I spent a good deal of time looking into where I wanted to stay. My goal frankly was to find a good and reasonably-priced place for most of the week and then splurge for the weekend somewhere really nice.

Based largely on the location (on the east end of the Waikiki strip -- across the street from the Waikiki Zoo) -- as well as much reading here on Tripadvisor, we booked four days at the Queen Kapilolani.

We really like the east end because you are still easily in walking distance of all the hustle and bustle of Waikiki but it is also much calmer; easier to navigate and to any of you that hate paying 20-40 dollars a night to park on general principal, you can almost always find free street parking along nearby Monsarrat Ave (our car has never been broken into but do use common sense and do not leave valuables in the car if you choose to street park).

As far as the hotel -- we have virtually nothing to complain about. We had a terrific time there. Based on many of the reviews I had read, we booked a deluxe Diamond Head view room and requested to be on the 14th floor or above (to get the best view and least street noise). The view of Diamond Head was spectacular (had even a sliver of ocean view) and you could also see the Zoo and the rest of Kapiolani Park.

As previously mentioned, we were able to walk to almost anywhere within Waikiki and as important, could get away from it just as quickly. Diamond Head is only a few miles away and accessing H1 via Kapahulu Ave is soooo much easier than taking the snail's pace traffic of McCulley St to the west.

The staff was very friendly and the maids did a great job.

The only issue I can think of is the winds get wild at the upper levels of the hotel and they can make quite a bit of noise. Personally it didn't bother me -- I enjoyed sitting on the lanai every night taking in the views -- but that could be an issue. It beats music and people noise if you ask me.

All things being equal, as long as you do your research and pick a room that matches your expectations -- we found the deluxe Diamond Head room with a AAA discount had us well below $200 / night -- the Queen Kapiolani is a great option -- very big bang for the buck. In other words, if you are hoping to get the Moana Surfrider for $170/night, you will probably be disappointed but if you want a reasonably priced room in a good location with a great staff, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal than the Queen Kap. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Definitely spend the few extra dollars to get a Diamond Head room above the 12th floor. You will hav...
2  Thank holjim
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Aloha! I am glad we fulfilled your goal to find a good and reasonably priced place and that you will definitely be back.

It was good to hear that that you have virtually nothing to complain about, that you had a terrific time. Also, that the view of Diamond Head was spectacular, had even a view of ocean and you could see the zoo and rest of Kapiolani Park.

It was equally wonderful to hear that the staff was very friendly and the maids did a great job for we strive to provide a great guest experience.

Your comment that the Queen Kapiolani is a great option - very big bang for the bucks is much
appreciated.

If I can be of any assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and i stayed at this hotel form the 18th feb to 27th Feb....we both found our room very comfortable...a generous size...the bed was awesome and the pillows fantastic...im very fussy with pillows because of continual neck problems...the view of Diamond head was great
We heard no noise from the street or zoo...
The general cleanliness of our room was very good...the only time it wasnt cleaned was when we put up a do not disrurb sign.
The bell desk...front desk were very helpful..courteous...and friendly.
The only complaint i have is there were no tea making facilities...im not a coffee drinker and really missed being able to make a cup of tea...but having said that it was like finding a needle in a haystack in waikiki for the elusive cup of tea.
Given the choice we would elect to stay here again.
We were within easy walking distance to EVERYTHING....it was only a 20 min walk to The International Market Place...Ross'..and the general hub of Waikiki Shopping

2  Thank kalmy1961
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Aloha! Thank you very much for your comments in regards to your recent stay with us, that you both were quite happy with us and would elect to stay at the Queen Kapiolani again.

It was good to hear that you found your room to be very comfortable, a generous size, the bed was awsome and the pillows fantastic. Also, the general cleanliness of the room was very good.

Thank you for the wonderful comment regarding our staff, that the Bell Desk and Front Desk were very helpful, courteous and friendly. We are very proud of the guest experience we provide.

Please let me know if I can assist you on your next visit and may you have"happy travels."

Reviewed March 3, 2013

The people running this hotel are very nice and polite from the general manager down to the receptionists. However, during my last stay in Honolulu, I had the horrible experience of dealing with a cockroach infestation in my room. I killed about 20 roaches in one night and they even got into my makeup bag. The roaches I killed were 4 varieties, from hatchlings to large adults. The hotel staff did bring me a can of bug spray at midnight to help take care of the issue however this should have never taken place. As for the quality of the room, it was below standard because it was worn (carpet frayed) and the bed was small and not very comfortable. The view was limited because of the close proximity to the building next door so one had to keep the drapes closed when dressing. The lighting was limited and the bathroom was dirty/sticky. Maybe the housekeepers did not rinse well enough? Due to the infestation of roaches, I did not even consider turning on the air (which was a window air-conditioner) which looked dirty and was not placed in the window straight. So at $285.00 per night, it was not a fair value.

The hotel did refund all my money, which was the right thing to do because of the roach infestation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sales2013

Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent experience while staying with us. Whether good or bad, we appreciate your comments, for they bring to light, what may be corrected.

It was wonderful to hear that the staff was very nice and polite, from the management team to the Front Desk receptionist and in the end, you felt fairly compensated.

In regards to the cockroaches, we truly apologize and agree that an infestation is not acceptable. The Department of Health did come down to inspect the room and to verify your concerns. They did a thorough inspection, stripping the bed, checking in the dresser and under the sink vanity, night stand and pulling carpet edges. They even checked the clock, radio and lamp, looking for droppings and vomit (brown and black spots) that would indicate roach
activity. They found none to indicate a cockroach problem.

Just to ensure that we do not have future problems, we asked our pest control company to do a follow up procedure to eliminate any future pest. Again, please accept our sincere apology, for we do our utmost to provide pest free accomodations to our guest.

If I may be of service in the future, please do not hesitate to give me a call and I would be glad to assist you.