Queen Kapiolani Hotel
  • Restaurant
Waikiki Resort Hotel(Honolulu)
  • Free Internet
1,588 results
All reviewshonolulu zoodiamond headacross the streetlouvered windowswaikiki beachkapiolani parkquiet end of waikikibell deskpool deckjunior suitean older hotelcity viewcorner roomthird floorvalet parkingbit datedsmall balcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I travel a lot, and I must say this was the worst hotel I'd been to in the Whole United States (I've crossed the country 4 times, so I know what I'm talking about). Is this really supposed to ba a 3 star hotel? Yeah, right. I tried to be positive and told myself I've been to worse hotels, in developing countries!

First, the room. We got room 1221. It was so small we could barely go on the other side of the bed. I kept bumping my head on the TV screen hanging on the wall just to get to my side of the bed. Also, they gave us a double bed. DOUBLE! WTF?!? I've never seen a double bed in a 3-star hotel. But the room was so small I guess they couldn't fit a queen size bed. The bed wasn't that comfortable, I kept slipping to the center of the bed, and my husband spent the whole 5 nights we were there bumping his elbows in my back. So much for a relaxing vacation!

We had no balcony. I think some rooms, maybe a majority, have a balcony, but we were unlucky, I guess. The problem is we are divers, and had to use some space to let our gear dry.
The room was so small, and with no balcony, we were stuck to hang our stuff anywhere we could find (my husband had to hang his bathing suit on the picture frame, just to let you know how small the room was). And with all this water and wet gear everywhere, it smelled moldy all the time we were there, even if we kept the A/C on day and night.

We went 3 times at the front desk to ask to change room, we were even ready to pay for an upgrade, but they never helped us. The only thing they said is they were fully booked and there was nothing they could do. When my husband complained about the size of the bed the women said: "I've seen smaller beds in hotels." Well, not me! And that's beside the point that we're paying a pretty big sum of money for what we were getting.

Also, it seems they are always "fixing" the elevators. We read the reviews and figured the elevator work would be done by the time we got to the hotel, but we were wrong. There are 18 floors on this hotel, and only 2 slow elevators used by all the guests and the staff. Every time we had to go to our room we had to wait at least 5 minutes for the elevator (really). We even had to wait over 10 minutes once. And this is only to get one way. So expect to waste at least 20 minutes/day waiting for the elevator. Taking the stairs would have been fine only if we didn't have 24 flights of stairs to climb while carrying our diving gear... I spoke with an employee who told me everything should be fixed in 3 months. I don't believe it. I think it'd take at least 1 year.

Also, they charge 20$/day for valet parking, but you can get free parking on the street less than 2 blocks from there.

In the end, we would have been more comfortable in a Motel 6, and would have saved a lot of money!

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel. If you're stuck here, don't accept a room number ending with -12. Ask for a lower floor so you can take the stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Crystal T
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Best overall service. Staff extremely helpful and courteous. Very clean hotel starting with front desk and lobby. Rooms were very clean also. Hotel has an ATM machine , that's a big plus. Our room was very very small especially for two people who did tons of shopping. But we didn't care, we were in Hawaii!! Extra towels & toiletries quickly provided by staff when requested. This was our 3rd trip to Hawaii and this has been the best economical hotel we've stayed at. Will definitely stay there again. Can't comment on pool because we never used it. Who wants to use a pool when you have some of the most beautiful beaches around you.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank WeLove2Travel_TX
Reviewed July 6, 2012

They have updated a lot at this hotel. New tv's, beds and linens, lobby and ice cream shop. Will be even better after the elevator upgrades are complete. If you stay here you have to meet bell hop Kawika. He is so considerate and funny. I guarantee he will greet you with a big aloha every time.

Room Tip: Gotta have a diamond head view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ardp2438
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We were in good hands at this hotel. Clean great place to stay for a reasonable price. Kawika took great care of our luggage.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

When looking for a decent yet inexpensive Waikiki hotel, the Queen Kap is a good option. Nice lobby and good location but very small rooms - our room had two double beds and not much room for anything else, including opening a suitcase.The hallways could use a refresh and some modernization. Pool was icy cold, even in June, but the views of Diamond Head are top notch! When we stayed, only two of the three elevators were working as there was maintenance and renovation underway meaning extra long wait times for the elevator during peak times, especially on the upper floors. In fairness, the staff were very friendly and had warned us in advance of this and apologized for any inconvenience. The bottom line is that the Queen Kapiolani is not a luxury hotel by any means but if the price is right, the good points outweigh the bad. (I'd rate at 3.6/5.0)

Room Tip: Rooms with two double beds (no double Queens available) are tight for four people, even two adults two kids. Rooms next to elevator bank can be noisy - what I thought was city buses on the street was actually the elevator whooshing by.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family