“Queen Kapiolani will disappoint on all levels...”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I chose this hotel based on price and several what turned out to be inaacurate customer reviews. If you value a comfortable, clean, somewhat modern room then you will not want to choose the QK. Rooms are tiny and it appeared as though the housekeeping staff did nothing more than make beds and replenish towels. The air conditioner in my room was a window unit that they converted into a wall unit; it was loud and the dust, mold and grime on the vents was disgusting. My room faced the street below and the noise wouldn't allow me to go to sleep until well after midnight. I could have handled normal amounts of noise but the windows in the room were built like blinds (there were gaps in between each window slat so there was no barrier for noise or heat coming in). I am in Hawaii nearly once a month and this hotel has by far been the least appealing. I will not be staying here again nor would I recommend it for anyone looking for lodging (no matter what type of trip they are on). The only good things that can be taken from the QK is that you are across from the Honolulu Zoo and only a short walk from the beach....nothing more. My advice, pay a little extra and get a lot more return on your investment at nearly any other hotel.

Room Tip: For the best room available...stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank GOllie08

Reviewed June 8, 2011

We loved this Hotel! It was a reasonable price and very clean. You can tell it's an older hotel but it was very well kept. It was close to shopping areas and food places. Just a walk to the beach also! Free parking was a plus! We would definitly stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank nichole824
Reviewed June 2, 2011

we asayed for 2 night in late may 2011. The room was cheap, but very small, but clean. It faced north, no balcony #1819. Somewhat noisy-but it is a city after all. the best part was the location. 2 blocks from the beach. parking was $15/day. the hotel is across from the zoo. The breakfast was on a lanai restaurant with a nice view and pretty good food. there is a pool, we did not use it. The staff was pleasant. I would stay there again, but would like a larger room. I am sure we had that couice.

We were there just to visit my daughter for 2 days before going to Kauai

2  Thank calsun99
Reviewed June 2, 2011

If in Honolulu stay at Queen Kapiolani Hotel http://www.queenkapiolani.com/ Great Just walk to Waikiki Beach, shops, food, etc. We had a king Deluxe Room with balcony and view of Diamond Head. We were on the 14th floor. We had a mini refrigerator. Friendly staff especially the helpful bellmen. We did not rent a car. Bought a 4 day TheBus pass $25.00 each and road all over including the entire island. Ala Moana Mall has a great food mall which is cheaper eating than Waikiki. Waikiki's ABC stores have good sandwiches and hot dogs at reasonable rates. A Safeway grocery is about a 1 from hotel. Ihop had good food with good price and on Kuhio St. and on the same street is Mc Donalds. The room had air conditioning but we hardly used it since it was trade winds daily. There is street noise and the zoo was across the street. But we didn't mind the sounds. The maids not pushy. We are loungers so when we left our rooms they made it up with fresh towels and linens. Efficient and clean. Very relaxing time at this hotel! Price is right! We never ate at the hotel. The pool was cold, the ocean was warmer. Teddys Burgers just a few steps from hotels have great sandwiches!

6  Thank mjb60
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Almost once in a lifetime do I get to go to Hawaii. With that in mind we booked a trip to Kauai and Oahu. our last leg of the trip was in Honolulu and we stayed in the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. it is clear that in it's day, the hotel was a very nice place to stay, but today it leave much to be desired. The room was clean and had a good view of Diamond Head, but those are about the only good things I have to say about it. just a couple of things we noticed while we stayed there. The air conditioner filter was so clogged with lint it barely was able to circulate the air. The pool was small and the attached bar was not open. Half the time the elevator did not work and when you are staying on the 15th floor, thats a problem. The only ice machine is on the main floor and the only soda machine is in the parking garage. The room had a mini refrigerator, but it was on the floor out in the open and in the way. They only provided two bath towels in a room two double beds (potentially a family of four). Finally, the most annoying problem was the total lack of courtesy and poor customer service attitude made the stay quite unpleasant. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing experience while in Honolulu.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Diamond Head or the Beach
3  Thank Jorgensene
russchun, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2011

Aloha!! I am sincerely sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us. We do have a program to clean the AC filters on a regular basis but are not always able to get to a particular filter in time, especially if the AC has been used with the lanai door open. We have since cleaned the filter in you room after your departure.

The majority of swimming pools in Waikiki hotels are limited in size by construction and space restraints. Especially with the beach close by there is usally not a big demand for a large pool. The bar that is adjacent to our pool is opened daily from 4pm onwards. We are planning to open it earlier in the afternoon as the demand increases, but we find that most of our guests are either out shopping, on sightseeing tours or are at the beach during the day and only return later in the day.

We do have additional ice machines on the 6th, 11th and 17th floors in addition to our main floor. That information should have been on the key packet you received when you checked in. We are in the process of creating a new Guest Services Directory that will be available on the TV once we install our new guest entertainment and communication system. Soda and other beverages are available in our lobby gift shop.

The standard bath linen setup is two sets per room. We do add additional sets when there are more than two people per room. While it would be nice to have four sets per room we have a responsibility to care for our "aina" or land, and conserve our limited natural resources, especially water. as well as electricity and gas. We use all three resources when we do our laundry.

I, like you, am disappointed that you experienced a total lack of customer service and a poor customer service attitude from our staff. In general, as you can see from other comments on TripAdvisor, the majority of our guests experience friendly and helpful service. I apologize that you did not have a similar experience during your visit.

I do hope that despite your disappointment with your stay, that you had an enjoyable visit to Kauai and plan to return to visit the beautiful Islands of Hawaii again soon. Once in a lifteime is definitely not enough to experience all that Hawaii has to offer.

Aloha and mahalo, Russell Chun General Manager

Reviewed May 30, 2011

We checked in the first day and found that the shower head wasn't working properly and the towel rack fell down to the floor. The next day, we called the mainteance to fix the problems, but only shower head was fixed. When the maid cleaned the room, the shampoo and body lotion weren't refilled until we asked. They now also charge $2 per bag if you want to leave it in the hotel on the after you check out.

2  Thank stactw
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I just returned from my first trip to Hawaii and I'm still amazed by the awe-inspiring beauty of Oahu. The island's architecture is definitely dated however, and the Queen Kapiolani is no exception. My husband and I stayed there for 7 nights, and while our room was small with an 80's era decor, our view was absolutely stunning. We had a corner room overlooking the Honolulu Zoo and Diamond Head on one side, and the ocean on the other. Simply breathtaking.

The room's amenities included a mini-fridge, coffee pot and ice bucket (but no glasses), and housekeeping brought a fresh supply of soaps, lotion and shampoo/conditioner each day. I was hoping for some tropical-scented toiletries, but no luck. If you're looking for frills, this isn't the place for you. The bed was very comfortable with a nice white duvet and the large flat-screen tv was a nice upgrade compared to the rest of the room. My biggest complaint had to be the blackout shades - they looked to be about 30 years old and I don't think they'd ever been cleaned. Yuck. But with the amazing views I don't see why you'd use them anyway.

The rest of the hotel was adequate and the pool, though small, was very nice. There was a huge area for sun tanning with very comfortable and inviting patio furniture. There is an open-air restaurant next to the pool where breakfast is served. Because we were with a group we were able to get breakfast included with our stay. We had eggs, sausage or ham, croissants, pastries, fruit and oatmeal every morning. It was decent.

The hotel staff members were pleasant and helpful, though not overbearing. They're there if you require their assistance, but aren't on top of you. Housekeeping was prompt and very adept at getting our room cleaned even though my husband and I were in and out all the time.

One more important thing to note - the hotel offers free wifi, but only in a small area on the 2nd floor. Many people in our group complained that it was spotty though. I didn't use it much because it was a pain to lug my computer around, especially considering the elevators were slow.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the zoo AND ocean!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business