New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Pagoda Hotel

Pagoda Hotel
Ranked #67 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
california
“great hotel for tourist & business alike”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

pagoda hotel is situated in neither the main tourist area nor business area, yet convient to both. easy access via hwy or nimitz from the airport. within minutes walking of the ala moana mall/wal-mart/sam's club/starbucks. or, for a nice meal, onsite pagoda restaurant is very nice. hotel has friendly staff, on site mini-mart and pool. off street parking available at nominal fee. for those who don't mind walking, you can walk to waikiki beach or the main shopping (tourist) streets. rooms have fridge & coffee pot. i visit hawaii generally every 6 to 8 weeks & always stay at pagoda.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
Beaufort, SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband, 6-year-old niece, and I had reservations here for a room with 1 queen and 1 twin. When we arrived after our 20-hour voyage to Hawaii, I signed in, very tired, and went to the room, where they had mistakenly given us just 1 queen-size bed. My growing niece kicks a lot and needs her own bed. When I went to the front desk, the receptionist (a male) listened and rudely, without saying anything, snapped out the sheet where I had signed for the room and pointed to my signature. He was implying that since I had not bothered to check what I had signed, he wasn't obligated to correct our room. Offended, I explained the situation to him and showed him a printout of our reservation. He glared at me and grumbled. Then I asked to speak to his manager. A girl came and corrected our room, upgrading us to one with 4 beds for the same price as our reservation. When we entered our room, the carpet was nearly paper thin and filthy. For all 7 days, the hallway smelt like marijuana. My sister, who lives on the island, told me that the Hawaii State Immigration puts immigrants up at this hotel during their processing and that head lice was rumored in this hotel. Our room had a full kitchen, and judging our neighbors, I think some of them were living there. At the main complex, the pond with the carp that used to be nice and clear in the 1980s had so much green algae that you could barely see the fish. I was surprised the fish were able to move in it! The hotel probably wouldn't know if the fish were dying because they can't see the fish anyway unless they swim to the surface for air. Once a nice hotel, the Pagoda has now gone to the dogs. The male receptionist shocked me and offended me. I wouldn't stay here again for anything.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Skyanne

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Syracuse
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2009

It's an old dump...there...I said it. The place is filthy and run down. My feet got dirty from the carpet, the room and hallways smelled old, there was blood on my sheets...no hot water. Worst of all....nobody cared when I complained! The service was so bad...with an attitude of..."we've got your money...now what are you going to do".

Never...ever....stay here!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NewYorkGuy14
Kaua'i, HI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

I was at the Pagoda Hotel last month for a week - granted it was not for any kind of pleasure trip - I live on Kaua'i and my mother was flown to Straub Clinic (she died the following week) - so I was there on my own and had never stayed at any Honolulu property by myself before. It was super clean, the staff was very friendly and when they knew I was there on my own they always seemed to be making sure I was okay. I felt very safe there at all times.

The room was absolutely great - not fancy, just clean, basic, even a sliver of an ocean view (I was on the 9th floor) - I was very happy with it and with the service. They even put a newspaper in front of my door every morning. Bedding immaculate and I appreciated the coffee maker big time!

I chose it primarily because I could walk to Straub Clinic from there, but it was also in an area that I felt very safe in - I could eat right around the corner at one of my favorites -
Likelike Drive In and feel right at home. Also Ala Moana Center was closeby and easy to walk to if you wanted.

It was not a fun trip - but the friendliness and overall great local atmosphere at this hotel made a difficult time much easier. I was also appreciative of the fully stocked Sundries Store downstairs.

I think this property is a great one - especially for kama'aina who aren't looking for a Waikiki Beach experience, but a good, clean hotel in a central location.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank koloagirl
Gold Coast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2009

We needed somewhere to rest for a 20 hour lay over & ended up here because it is walking distance to Ala Moana shopping center. We booked a double room & got 2 very uncomfortable single beds. After a 3 am check-in I thought I'd be able to sleep any way, but the bed was too uncomfortable to stay in it past 7 am. We paid around $100 & weren't happy for what we received, but I guess Honolulu is just plain expensive, & you need to spend a minimum of $150 to be comfortable. We'll know next time!

• Liked — Close to Ala Moana shops
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank dsajsc
malawimike
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2008

No need to say again all the terrible things said by others. It is dingy, in need of some remodeling, and just feels dirty. I had two showers without hot water. The window air conditioner could not cool the room, and it just felt stuffy. The towels are thin and rough, the sheets feel old. The garbage truck woke me each morning, but that is not their fault. This hotel has the basics, but nothing more.

There is a mildew-y smell throughout the hotel that could give some people with allergies a problem.

Be fore-warned: this hotel is not near the water, it is near Wal-Mart, Sam's, Ala Moana Shopping Center, and Ross Dress for Less. If you are looking for beach view, easy walk to the beach, or the feel of winds flowing through your room this is not the place.

The staff seemed courteous and efficient.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank malawimike
CALIFORNIA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

At first glance it seemed like an old but OK place to spend a couple of nights....location is great, Sam's & Wal-Mart at walking distance, until you make it inside the rooms to discover that they are dirty and poorly maintianed, bath tub was filthy and when taking a shower the water went from extremely cold to extremely hot all on its own.
The worst happen the next morning when my daughters and I woke up full of bedbug bites all over our bodies. Bailed out of there like a smoking bandit!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank WATERBOY_8