“Pagoda Hotel - 1 bedroom stay - Honolulu, Hawaii” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pagoda Hotel

Pagoda Hotel
Ranked #66 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Pagoda Hotel - 1 bedroom stay - Honolulu, Hawaii”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Hotels.com booked me with another hotel due to their misinformation and then redirected myself to Pagoda (who is pet friendly)Hotel. With the stress of driving around to a 2nd hotel and the inconvenience due to time - the staff at Pagoda were very accommodating, professional, supportive and a customer service of "kindness" that words can not express. An unpleasant situation occurred while at the hotel and ALL the staff deal with it immediately reassuring my safety and that they had a 0 tolerance. So even though it is not a 5* updated renovated hotel - the comfort and basic rooms combined with the staff made my stay pleasurable. I would like to thank Jasmyn (front desk), MeryKnoll (Mgr.), Daniel (Security) and Emyl (Technician) for all their help. Helen

Room Tip: Rooms near the back entrance to the parking lot and elevator were very, very noisy and busy at all t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Aloha Helen M,
Thank you so much for posting a review! I am ecstatic that we were able to assist with our pet friendly policy and make your stay a pleasurable one. Mahalo for the kind words for our staff as well. We are all constantly working on improving our service and building lasting relationships with our guests. Hopefully, you (and your pet) will visit us again in the near future!
Paul Dun - Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Waialua, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our stay at the Pagoda Hotel in Honolulu is always a pleasant one and this one was just as pleasant and we had an issues that the Hotel had brought to our attention and it actually happen and I am glad they let there hotel guess know when they check in. they are working on bettering there hotel and making it a safer place to stay. I will stay there again with my family.

Room Tip: the two bedroom suits are great to stay.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Aloha Teresa S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of our property! It is appreciated that you see that we are working on making every guest experience memorable and trying to improve our facilities. I am so glad that you and your family will return to the Pagoda Hotel...we eagerly await your return.
Mahalo Nui,
Waimea, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

This review is for the pagoda terrace only. I stayed here for two weeks because it was near the medical center where I was being seen. The room was very basic and could use a few upgrades but it was clean and came with a kitchenette which was nice because I did not have to eat out every night.

The location was great and was with in walking distance to walmart, don Quixote, Ross, fast food and sit down restaurants. My husband and I particularly liked Asahi, which is a yummy local restaurant. We ate breakfast and dinner here. I'd recommend the fried rice and saimin!

If you are a light sleeper I would reccomend purchasing a pair of earphones. My unit was on the parking lot side and at times it could get noisy and, like I said before, the hospital is near so you hear a lot of sirens.

I also liked that there was a coin operated laundry facility on the floor I was staying on. (4th floor). It really came in handy for me since I was there for a long period of time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lei V
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Aloha Lei V,
Thank you for posting your thoughts. Please know that we are slowly working on improving our Terrace rooms. I am so happy that you found our location, our kitchenettes and our value as positives. All of us here at the Pagoda hope to see you again in the future. Hopefully next time, you will get to try out our refurbished rooms in the Tower.
Me Ka Ha'aha'a,
Kurtistown, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I recently returned to the Pagoda Hotel for a brief stay while in Honolulu. Although it's not a luxurious hotel, I found the familiarity comforting...

Checking in took a bit longer this visit-- the lobby was packed with people waiting for rooms.

When I finally got to the front desk, Daniel took great care of me-- quick check-in, no hassle. Since he knows a lot about the area, he easily answered my questions regarding restaurants, cultural sites, and shopping.

The room was rather simple, but having a fridge was very convenient...

Unfortunately, the surrounding rooms were on the noisy side.

All things considered, the hotel was quaint and the room was a bargain. I will definitely return, and would recommend this place to friends visiting Oahu.

• Stayed September 2013
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Aloha lehua s,
Thank you for posting a review! It is wonderful to hear that you will be recommending the Pagoda to your friends when coming to O'ahu. We pride ourselves on being a kama'āina favorite. I apologize for the long wait during check-in. We are working on ways to expedite the process. All of us here at the Pagoda Hotel hope to have you as a guest in the very near future!
A Hui Hou,
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Can you believe I was born and raised in Hilo, and had never stepped foot in this hotel? Over the years, I've heard MANY things, as this is where many locals stay while visiting Honolulu. For the most part, many say not to expect a whole lot, simply because it's an affordable place to rest your head. It's all about the location (which, after spending four days here, I will say CANNOT be beat!)

You can imagine my concerns when I finally started to look at reviews (especially on TripAdvisor). Roach/ant infestations, horrible service, and old beds. Like many of the previous reviews mention, talking to friends and family about the Pagoda were met with sighs, side glances, and worst of all: silence.

I'd heard a few good things about the renovations, and the location. So, rather than running away, I decided to wait and see. I booked a 4 day/3 night stay Tower room, room & car package for about $550-600... not a bad deal, if you ask me.

Arriving at the Pagoda Hotel, we were met with a speedy, efficient check-in. I'm glad to say that both of the elevators in the Tower are now working (previous reviews say they were not at the time). Elevators DO require your key card... a good security measure.

We drew our breaths as we opened our room door, wondering what we were in for. The rooms are okay. It was very obvious that the room we got was one of the renovated ones, as the walls were newly painted, the carpet seemed new, the bathroom was clean. I checked the beds and they felt brand-new/fresh. I wouldn't say the room was pristine-- you could tell that the wall paint was a layer over what was there before-- but the room was clean, and actually felt pretty comfortable. Very doable, and acceptable.

A couple of weird things. We had a room with two double-sized beds. Next to one of them was a wall-sized mirror with a shelf and a sink. A sink next to a bed...? I can't imagine what kind of scenario they were thinking about when they were laying out the room. Yes, it's weird, but I will admit to using it once or twice. An odd convenience! lol

Second, the AC unit, while new, emitted a weird "milky" smell. We observed that the smell only came out when it reached the set temperature and switched from AC to Fan mode. After catching a whiff of it the 3rd time we entered the room, we decided to do something about it. We went to Wal-Mart across the street (did I mention the location rocks???) and picked up one of those Febreeze car air fresheners that attaches to the AC vent. Worked like a charm!

As far as ant/roach infestations... they were not existent during our stay, except for 3 tiny ants, which were immediately smooshed and tossed away.

The biggest reason I would recommend Pagoda is the location. This is a PRIME spot for anyone who is anticipating a lot of shopping and moving around Honolulu. Ala Moana Shopping Center is 2-3 blocks (5-10 minute walk) away. Around the corner is the Don Quijote (not Quixote) store, where they have a bunch of outdoor eateries, and tons of Asian stuff. Across the street you have Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. I would highly- HIGHLY recommend checking out Likelike Drive-In. They have a good menu, their prices are right, and their service is on it. We ended up eating there more times than any other place during our stay.

In the end, I was fairly happy with our stay here. The room, while I can't say it was flawless, was acceptable and comfortable enough. And, I think I forgot to mention the location is awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for a Tower room and look into Room & Car packages.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeremy T
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Aloha Jeremy T,
Mahalo nui for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of our property! I am very happy you decided to 'take a chance' with us and am pleased that you had a good experience. This year we have concentrated on refurbishing the rooms in our tower and are constantly working on improving customer service. It's wonderful that as a Hilo boy, you were finally able to come to our property. Perhaps next time, you will have an even better experience!
Hilo, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel was not what my family and I expected. However, you have to keep in mind, you get what you pay for. The check-in process was smooth and the agents were friendly and very helpful in making suggestions with shopping destinations and activities that would keep the kids entertained. The room, was another story. It was horrible. No matter the price, I could not subject my family to those conditions for 5 days. I called down to the front desk and spoke to Daniel, he was very helpful and understanding. He went out of his way to find my family a different room. He even helped us move. The new room was way better (and cleaner). We were able to really enjoy our vacation thanks to the wonderful service that Daniel provided us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle S
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Aloha Michelle S,
Thank you so much for reviewing your experience! I am thankful that we have Daniel and that he was able to save your stay with us. Though we are not 100% perfect, we continually strive to make every guest comfortable and happy when things arise. I look forward to your next stay with us so that we may improve upon your last experience.
Me Ka Ha'aha'a,
Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I would mainly like to say thank you to Daniel at the front desk for taking the time to give us suggestions for both site seeing and restaurants. He was always so patient when giving us driving directions. Thanks again Daniel for showing us that true Aloha Spirit. I would have given the hotel an "Excellent" star rating, but it is time for a lot of renovations. A good start would be new beds!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a good working air conditioning unit. It is very hot and humid in Hawa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Aloha Bernard85LasVegas,
Mahalo for taking the time to post a review! We are currently completing room renovations on our Tower side of the property, with lobby and Terrace upgrades in the works for the near future. I very much appreciate your kind words for Daniel and will be sure to pass along your comments. We all hope to see you soon when you return to the Pagoda Hotel.