“pleasant return to paradise”
Review of Pagoda Hotel

Pagoda Hotel
Ranked #71 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I recently returned to the Pagoda Hotel for a brief stay while in Honolulu. Although it's not a luxurious hotel, I found the familiarity comforting...

Checking in took a bit longer this visit-- the lobby was packed with people waiting for rooms.

When I finally got to the front desk, Daniel took great care of me-- quick check-in, no hassle. Since he knows a lot about the area, he easily answered my questions regarding restaurants, cultural sites, and shopping.

The room was rather simple, but having a fridge was very convenient...

Unfortunately, the surrounding rooms were on the noisy side.

All things considered, the hotel was quaint and the room was a bargain. I will definitely return, and would recommend this place to friends visiting Oahu.

• Stayed: September 2013
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Aloha lehua s,
Thank you for posting a review! It is wonderful to hear that you will be recommending the Pagoda to your friends when coming to O'ahu. We pride ourselves on being a kama'āina favorite. I apologize for the long wait during check-in. We are working on ways to expedite the process. All of us here at the Pagoda Hotel hope to have you as a guest in the very near future!
A Hui Hou,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Can you believe I was born and raised in Hilo, and had never stepped foot in this hotel? Over the years, I've heard MANY things, as this is where many locals stay while visiting Honolulu. For the most part, many say not to expect a whole lot, simply because it's an affordable place to rest your head. It's all about the location (which, after spending four days here, I will say CANNOT be beat!)

You can imagine my concerns when I finally started to look at reviews (especially on TripAdvisor). Roach/ant infestations, horrible service, and old beds. Like many of the previous reviews mention, talking to friends and family about the Pagoda were met with sighs, side glances, and worst of all: silence.

I'd heard a few good things about the renovations, and the location. So, rather than running away, I decided to wait and see. I booked a 4 day/3 night stay Tower room, room & car package for about $550-600... not a bad deal, if you ask me.

Arriving at the Pagoda Hotel, we were met with a speedy, efficient check-in. I'm glad to say that both of the elevators in the Tower are now working (previous reviews say they were not at the time). Elevators DO require your key card... a good security measure.

We drew our breaths as we opened our room door, wondering what we were in for. The rooms are okay. It was very obvious that the room we got was one of the renovated ones, as the walls were newly painted, the carpet seemed new, the bathroom was clean. I checked the beds and they felt brand-new/fresh. I wouldn't say the room was pristine-- you could tell that the wall paint was a layer over what was there before-- but the room was clean, and actually felt pretty comfortable. Very doable, and acceptable.

A couple of weird things. We had a room with two double-sized beds. Next to one of them was a wall-sized mirror with a shelf and a sink. A sink next to a bed...? I can't imagine what kind of scenario they were thinking about when they were laying out the room. Yes, it's weird, but I will admit to using it once or twice. An odd convenience! lol

Second, the AC unit, while new, emitted a weird "milky" smell. We observed that the smell only came out when it reached the set temperature and switched from AC to Fan mode. After catching a whiff of it the 3rd time we entered the room, we decided to do something about it. We went to Wal-Mart across the street (did I mention the location rocks???) and picked up one of those Febreeze car air fresheners that attaches to the AC vent. Worked like a charm!

As far as ant/roach infestations... they were not existent during our stay, except for 3 tiny ants, which were immediately smooshed and tossed away.

The biggest reason I would recommend Pagoda is the location. This is a PRIME spot for anyone who is anticipating a lot of shopping and moving around Honolulu. Ala Moana Shopping Center is 2-3 blocks (5-10 minute walk) away. Around the corner is the Don Quijote (not Quixote) store, where they have a bunch of outdoor eateries, and tons of Asian stuff. Across the street you have Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. I would highly- HIGHLY recommend checking out Likelike Drive-In. They have a good menu, their prices are right, and their service is on it. We ended up eating there more times than any other place during our stay.

In the end, I was fairly happy with our stay here. The room, while I can't say it was flawless, was acceptable and comfortable enough. And, I think I forgot to mention the location is awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for a Tower room and look into Room & Car packages.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeremy T

Aloha Jeremy T,
Mahalo nui for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of our property! I am very happy you decided to 'take a chance' with us and am pleased that you had a good experience. This year we have concentrated on refurbishing the rooms in our tower and are constantly working on improving customer service. It's wonderful that as a Hilo boy, you were finally able to come to our property. Perhaps next time, you will have an even better experience!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel was not what my family and I expected. However, you have to keep in mind, you get what you pay for. The check-in process was smooth and the agents were friendly and very helpful in making suggestions with shopping destinations and activities that would keep the kids entertained. The room, was another story. It was horrible. No matter the price, I could not subject my family to those conditions for 5 days. I called down to the front desk and spoke to Daniel, he was very helpful and understanding. He went out of his way to find my family a different room. He even helped us move. The new room was way better (and cleaner). We were able to really enjoy our vacation thanks to the wonderful service that Daniel provided us.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle S
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Aloha Michelle S,
Thank you so much for reviewing your experience! I am thankful that we have Daniel and that he was able to save your stay with us. Though we are not 100% perfect, we continually strive to make every guest comfortable and happy when things arise. I look forward to your next stay with us so that we may improve upon your last experience.
Me Ka Ha'aha'a,

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I would mainly like to say thank you to Daniel at the front desk for taking the time to give us suggestions for both site seeing and restaurants. He was always so patient when giving us driving directions. Thanks again Daniel for showing us that true Aloha Spirit. I would have given the hotel an "Excellent" star rating, but it is time for a lot of renovations. A good start would be new beds!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a good working air conditioning unit. It is very hot and humid in Hawa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Aloha Bernard85LasVegas,
Mahalo for taking the time to post a review! We are currently completing room renovations on our Tower side of the property, with lobby and Terrace upgrades in the works for the near future. I very much appreciate your kind words for Daniel and will be sure to pass along your comments. We all hope to see you soon when you return to the Pagoda Hotel.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed at this Pagoda Hotel for 6 days this June 2013, and didn't enjoy a minute of it! The room we stayed in was a 2 bedroom kitchenette on the 3rd floor. The kitchen had ants galore! Stove took 10 to 15 minutes to heat up. Any food we brought there was attacked by these ants. There were pigeons nesting between the window jealousies and the screen, making all kinds of cooing noises all day & night long. Not to mention the problem of diseases and lice from these birds right by the kitchen window. There was a big dark wet stain on the carpeted floor in the main living room area uncleaned, also the smoke detector was hanging off the wall. We made complaints to the front desk, than couple of hours later a repairman came by and said the detector was working...but still hanging off the wall. Then our microwave started smoking, a repairman took the broken old one to the next room and exchanged it out with ours. After complains to the district manager, we received no compensation in any way, no apologies, he told us he tried calling and for us to call back. We did, left a message twice a month after the stay and also emailed him, sent him photos and still didn't get any response to the problems. We gave up phone tagging him and calling or emailing, we ain't getting no where with him. His name was Paul. What a ripoff and bad customer service from Pagoda Hotel. We wish we didn't even come to Honolulu to this place! There were also problems with children going in the elevators all soaking wet from the swimming pool, no noise control from all the loud people that were staying there. People smoking and hanging out by the main gate that leads to Rycroft Street fronting the hotel late at night. We were afraid to go out of our room once it got dark. Children running on all levels playing chase master. Never again!! Beware tourist and kamaaina, better to stay in Waikiki, better hotels there and service! I will send this review also to the BBB and State Health Department.

Room Tip: Don't stay at Pagoda, go to Waikiki.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lucky C
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Aloha Lucky C,
I do apologize again for the condition of your room and that you felt unsafe during your stay. I also apologize that we have been playing phone tag since your last night at our property. I do wish that you had taken the opportunity for us to accommodate you in another room on the 3rd and 4th night so that we could have helped to make it up to you while you were at the property. Though we did slightly discount your rate when you decided to extend for one more night on the day of your original checkout, I know that the front desk again offered a different room.
Mahalo,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had to stay at this hotel due to our apt was being fumigation. I was looking for a place to stay and the Pagoda has always been my go to place. And mainly of their kitchenette, I always like that in a hotel.and having kamaaina rates always help a local on a budget. The only thing I didn't like was the check in & out time. Too bad one is not able to check in and out when they wanted to. I would come back here again and recommend to my friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Aloha Diane D,
Mahalo for taking the time to post a review! It is encouraging to hear that you are a returnee and find value in our reasonable prices, spacious kitchenettes, and commitment to kama'āina and malihini alike. Though our check-in time of 3pm and check-out time of 12pm are in-line with most of the industry, we do try to accommodate our guests when we are able. All of us here at the Pagoda Hotel hope to have you as a guest again very soon!
Me Ka Ha'aha'a,

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My room was clean.Desk clerk friendly,anything that was wrong in the room.They fix or exchange.No peeling,hair or anything in the room.It was clean.No stained carpet.And everything,I needed was close by.Including Walmart 5 minutes walk.Ala Moana Center . Mcdonalds,Jack in the box and more.Taking my husband there.And the restaurant good food.Even has a pool ,not a big pool.Price reasonable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mary997
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Aloha mary997,
Thank you for the review! Your comments are appreciated and we are sharing this review with our staff at our next meeting. I am ecstatic that you found the rooms clean, the staff friendly, and that the location was perfect for you. We look forward to you and your husband returning to the Pagoda Hotel very soon!