“Theft and poor management”
Review of Pagoda Hotel

Ranked #71 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed at the Pagoda as a non-Waikiki alternative, and it's definitely cheaper. The room was bearable. My standards aren't that high. However, my laptop case was stolen in the front lobby right in front of me-by another guest! It was caught on camera. We called police, who were great, but the management more or less ignored the problem, despite the fact that it was a registered guest who stole. No security in lobby, nor any ID checks of registered guests. This guest was registered under a false name by the front desk. Staff didn't seem very surprised that this had happened, and I wonder if it's fairly normal at this hotel. The management promised that their insurance would take care of the losses but they haven't actually done anything in this regard, nor have they returned my request for contact. Next time I'll pay the extra few dollars and stay somewhere a bit more secure.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Frequent T
LiaGSM, Front Office Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Aloha Frequent T,
Thank you for taking the time to outline the inconveniences that you endured. We are very sorry for this experience and are most disappointed to learn that your visit was tarnished.
I will personally bring your comments to the attention of our management team. We will address the details of your experience and retrain the appropriate team members.

Please contact me directly at ltauelangi@pagodahotel.com or 808-941-6611 so I may get your details and follow up.

Mahalo,

There are newer reviews for Pagoda Hotel

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Pagoda was not that bad. I have friends who like it, and many people I know have stayed in the past. I didn't know it was a 2 star until after we left and I was asked to review it for another travel site. If it's a 2, it's a pretty good 2. We planned to stay at a resort for 3 nights of our trip, so I was looking for somewhere less expensive for our 2 nights in Honolulu. Pagoda's good points: clean enough. Very friendly and helpful staff, especially Jasmine who remembered my name twice. Pool was small, but nice and clean. Beautiful gardens, pond and waterfall at the restaurant next door. Convenient location to Ala Moana mall, walking distance to the beach, restaurants nearby. We ate at LikeLike driven across the street, were able to take a quick bus to Waikiki Beach, very easy. It was good central location without having to stay in the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. Parking, although across the street, was only $10 per day compared to $20-$30 in Waikiki. Appreciated the ice water in the lobby. Happy to have a fridge and microwave. The negative: a few minor things, I don't mind outdated decor and furnishings as long as it's clean enough. While the room was pretty clean, the carpet felt grubby and felt the need to wear socks in the room. There was kind of a musty smell, not a horrible odor, probably from the old school window ac, which was loud. When we got there the room wasn't ready, and the front desk although very pleasant was short staffed and the wait to check in took way too long. One of the elevators was out for a day and a half of our 2 day stay, so sometimes the wait was longer. Overall, I would stay there again. if you're looking for a 4 star hotel and luxury accommodations, this isn't going to be for you. But if you plan to spend your time on the beach, exploring the island and visiting all the wonderful foodie places nearby and you want a less expensive and convenient location, I recommend the Pagoda Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kuidaosumi

Aloha KuidaOsumi!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent travels to beautiful Oahu. We are most certainly glad you chose us for accommodations. It is with pleasure to hear that the staff was friendly and helpful and that you found the location to be beneficial.
We are in the process of updating rooms in the main tower, with new carpet, drapes, paint,etc. and the project should be completed in the near future.
Again, thank you very much for the review and recommendation of the Pagoda. Please do come visit us again soon, but until then we wish you a fond aloha!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband booked the Pagoda from Expedia, needless to say the photos were NOTHING like the room itself. It was my husband, myself and our three sons. The hallways were all being painted, very old. The rooms were not clearly marked, when we opened the hotel room door, all five of us gasped! Even the kids thought it was a joke! There were stains on the mattresses, burn holes in the blankets, rust and stains in the tub and toilets. I've got the photos to prove it! Very, very substandard. The area was undesirable. Quickly checked out and checked into the Hilton. I feel this Hotel would only work for a young group of guys/girls, the area was seedy, not for a family.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank GI L
LiaGSM, Front Office Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Aloha!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review - we truly appreciate all comments as the feedback only helps us get better.

We have begun room upgrades in the maintower and have 2 floors completed with new carpet, drapery, paint, etc. We would love a chance for you to stay in one of these rooms.

Again, we truly appreciate you taking the time to write and hope that you will be back again soon for another visit. I will be delighted to look after your reservation.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed at the Pagoda for 8 nights at the end of May. Our room was on the 2nd floor at the 5 story building across the street.

The room

The bad: Our louvered (jealousey?) windows over looked the parking lot. The windows didn't close very well and we were able to see the ground through the closed windows. The good: We had a window air conditioner that worked well. The bad: We had to run it almost 24 hours a day. The good: The parking lot was a blessing. Two other couples in our group overlooked the pool and there were noisy groups there until very late. We had a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker (bring your own coffee and filters) and stove. Decor was really outdated but functional and clean.

The location

The bad: It was a 15 minute walk to the beach. The good: I've stayed in Waikiki for every other visit and I much preferred this Honolulu location. There was a mix of residents and tourists so it felt much more friendly and A LOT more reasonable for meals. There is a Walmart and Sam's Club at the end of the block and a really unique market named Don Quijote that was an experience! You can buy motor oil, steaks, a comforter and bananas all in one store. I'd opt for Don Quijote because the prices are the same and it is such a wacky place. There is a great coffee place named Poppy's that we visited regularly. A very friendly place. There are lots of Pho places close by but my husband is not a fan so I wasn't able to try any.

Bottom line: The hotel is OK. Lots of families, I felt safe and the staff was friendly. Having said that: The hotel was dated & the AC was loud and endless. For a good price it would be fine. When I return I will probably look for another hotel in the same area. I really loved feeling like a resident of Honolulu instead of a tourist in Waikiki. For a first trip I'd stay in Waikiki but for a second I'd stay near the Pagoda.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: I didn't see the rooms in the main tower but if you stay in the complex across the street, try t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank lahainaluna

Aloha!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Pagoda Hotel. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and will work towards ensuring this does not happen again. Your feedback is very important and will be mentioned in our next Manager's meeting.

We are glad you were able to take advantage of our great location where dining and shopping are just steps away!

The hotel has begun room upgrades in the main tower and we would love a chance to have you stay in one of these rooms. Please call me directly, I would be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I recently stayed at Pagoda Hotel (6/16/2012 - 6/21/2012) and despite the bad reviews I found my stay here to be enjoyable. The great central location, spacious rooms not to mention the great prices attracted me here, but I found the staff to be wonderful and the room safe and clean.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends and look forward to staying here again in the not so distant future.

Room Tip: Not sure about the other rooms, but I stayed in room 563 and it was safe and clean.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank James S
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Pagoda Hotel. We appreciate the positive comments and we are glad you took a chance with us. Yes, we are centrally located near many shops and restaurants and our team work hard to keep our product and property up to standard for our guests.
We look forward to seeing you again on a future visit.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Pagoda is located at a fantastic location close to Ala Moana, Walmart, and Ross. Price is reasonable and even a refrigerator is available in room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sunnygirl610
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Aloha,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the positive comments and am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Should you need future accommodations, we hope that you would choose Pagoda Hotel again.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I'm warning you do not book a room here! There's a few good reviews I read hoping the bad ones were just being exaggerated but they weren't every bad review is completely true. This hotel is so filthy the carpet has many stains and is tearing up, the bathroom is so outdated and worn down the beds are so stiff my back aches not to mention the location is horrible the beach is not in walking distance and the pictures they post on the website are much nicer than the real thing.. Take my word save yourself do not stay at this outdated worn and torn hotel!! There are much better options around, just don't stay here! My stay was miserable!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Sunflower1414
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share your Pagoda experience with us. I sincerely apoligize for the inconveniences you endured and hope the one day we can show you our new product. Room renovations have begun and this process along with other property upgrades will help transform Pagoda into something exciting for our employees and guests.

Please call me directly, I will be glad to assist you.