“Nice stay”

Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Nice stay”
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I stayed in the Pagoda for 2 nights. A Sat and Sunday night and I was in the main tower. I had a King room on the 11th floor and I was surprised ,based on the previous reviews, how nice it was. I had no problems with noise, dirty carpets or anything else. It was nice clean and the window air conditioner worked fine.
I had my reservations about staying here,but decided to give it a try and I am glad I did. I will definitely stay here again. It is perfect spot for me to walk everywhere and goto Sams/Walmart ...Alot of restaurants around too...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jtona
LeslieHotelMgr, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Mahalo for your comments. Under the management of Aqua Hotels, we are taking steps to improve the hotel and our services. We have the greatest location for shopping at the Ala Moana shopping center, Walmart and a host of restaurants all within walking distance. Again, mahalo for your comments and hope to see you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Stayed for a week and was in the terrace -- a smaller building across the street from the main hotel. I looked in need of repair but the layout had potential in a Melrose Place sort of way. There was a small pool area in the center of the 5-story building. We chose this place because the rooms had 4 separate beds + kitchenette and that's exactly what we needed.

The room we had was generally clean but when furniture and appliances get older they just get to that point where they look dirty no matter how much you clean them. The rooms were big though. The staff was also very nice but the five minutes you spend interacting with staff really don't make up for the biggest issue - NOISE.

It seems as though many of the people -- families in particular -- who were staying there that week didn't understand that the HALLWAYS ARE NOT PART OF THEIR ROOMS. We heard kids and adults talking, yelling, running around the halls at all times of day and night. 12 noon, maybe it's okay. But at 3 or 4 AM? COME ON. And playing guitar and singing??? There's only so much asking you can do for people to be quiet without starting to feel that it's futile. It also seemed like there was a kids' pool party going on every day. I really don't know where all the kids came from.

We saw the door for the Security Office downstairs but never happened to see a security guard. I think this noise problem could be solved if they actually had someone who just strolled about the halls every hour or so and told people to go into their rooms and close their doors if they were being noisy, but also after 10 at night -- no matter what. Seriously people, go in your room and shut your door!

Another noise-related issues was the doors -- both the knocking and the constant slamming. It seemed like everyone but us on our floor knew each other. Kocking -- slamming -- knocking - slamming. Again at all times of the day. Our room was also unfortunately near the stairwell whose door squeaked and slammed all the time. If they would get someone to WD-40 the doors and maybe adjust the door closers so they didn't slam shut then maybe they'd be able to fix this issue as well.

Needless to say we bought earplugs as soon as we could but it should not be that way.

Oh, and the water hammer in that building was by far the worst I've ever heard. Every time someone would use a sink in our unit or above or below or next door you could hear the pipes hammering at you when the water got shut off. I swear to God we could have all gotten drunk playing a drinking game based on the water hammer noises.

Lastly, the elevators, particularly the one nearest our room smelled AWFUL. It was like the combination of a bunch of strong chemicals and you seriously lost your appetite if you didn't hold your breath. I really don't understand putting carpeting in there. Why not a tile or pergo floor or something that could be easily cleaned that would NOT soak up whatever stench happens upon it?

Anyhow, I heard that the hotel was recently under new ownership so I hope the new owners do something about this -- in which case my review would be null and void. But as of Jan 2011 the above seems to be the case.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
LeslieHotelMgr, Front Office Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2011
The Pagoda Hotel has a new Owner and under the new management of Aqua Hotels. We have addressed the noise issues generating from the other guests. The interior hall carpets are being removed and room renovations have started which include painting and new carpet.

Please visit us on your next trip to Hawaii and you will see a remarkable difference. Mahalo

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My husband,friends and I stayed here on New Years Eve since we were going to be partying in town. We figured we'll stay somewhere cheap since we were only going to be using it to sleep. Big Mistake! Even just using it to sleep was bad. I stayed in the Pagoda Tower before which was decent.This time, however, we were set up at the Pagoda Terrace. This was more like an apartment complex! The rooms were old,the carpet was dirty,one of the little sample shampoo bottles were half full like it was used, and talk about the noise outside! At 4 in the morning there was domestics going on outside and we could hear people walking back and forth in front of our room. Also, it seemed like there were a lot of micronesian families who stay/live there for some reason.I would never stay there again, or at least never in the Pagoda Terrace!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
LeslieHotelMgr, Front Office Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Mahalo for your comments during about your stay on New Year’s Eve and profusely apologize for your experience. The Pagoda is now under new ownership and new management. We are already in the process of planning renovations to the rooms and common areas. There was a ruckus outside the property of which the Honolulu Police Department efficiently handled. Our goal to is to have everyone have an enjoyable stay at the Pagoda. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me at lchang@pagodahotel.com.
Irvine, California
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I arrived from the HNL airport, $30 fare at 5am. Check in was quick and easy as i had a reservation. I stayed on the 3rd floor. The room was clean but the carpets are worn out. The size of the room was surprsingly large. I thought it was strabge to have a sink beside the bed though. The only drawback is that the A/C is a window unit and kind of noisy. The curtains are kind of thin and let alot of street light into the room.

The best part is location. Lots of places to eat, and a few bars in the area. Walmart is juts down the street and is an easy walk.

Overall its cheap, safe and a great location but not a glamerous place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Pagodakoi, General Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2010
Aloha, Thank you for your comments and input. We would like to take time to address the issues noted in your comments. With your schedule permitting, please email me at eds@hthcorp.com. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your kind assistance. Mahalo (Thank You) Ed Saunders, General Manager, Pagoda Hotel.
Whakatane
Reviewed September 19, 2010

A group of 25 people stayed there for two weeks. The Hotel is split in two - there is the Pagoda Tower and Pagoda Terraces. We stayed in the Pagoda Terraces which bear no resemblance whatsoever to the photos that are on the website. The outside was dirty and run down and there are carpeted veranda's leading to the rooms and the carpets were filthy.

The first night we arrived there was a fight next door to one of our rooms which scared the people so much so they wanted to leave immediately and we had only just arrived. In another room we found cockroaches and ants, in another there were dirty clothes and underwear under the bed. In some rooms the air con wasn't working and in every single room there were utensils, crockery and pots and pans missing.

The one thing in its favour is that it is close to the centre of the city. It is a tired and run down and the staff are not friendly except for Richard the Security guy.

1 Thank MoataHawaii
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I was there for a conference and leisure. The good things about the Pagoda were the Koi fish, they were beautiful & the location to shops, it was a bit far away from the beach (10-15min walk). This accommodation was not organised by us, but by Navigator Tours NZ (who I would not recommend). However the cleanliness of the place was very poor (our fridge/freezer was mouldy), the room stunk and we did not want to take our shoes off to walk on the carpet. The pool is locked at 7pm all though it is still very hot. Not many of the staff smile when you approach them either...haha.... that was stink.
I would say look around if you are not from the USA, there are better places to stay for the same value as people who booked out after 1 nights stay (booked in for 10 days) found.

2 Thank jaynetawhi
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I used to go to UH and I went back and visited my friends this August. I've always stayed at Pagoda when I moved in before the school year. This time was the same as all the other times, except I finally noticed the smell. It's the smell of the air of the neighborhood. You can especially smell it by Don Q/Daisei. For the room I was in this August, it was clean and a good place to spend the night (I was only there for 1 night this time). It's a good location, but unfortunately the location it's in is kind of smelly. If you're just looking for a room to sleep in, then Pagoda's pretty much for you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo