“Budget for $100 per night”

Pacific Marina Inn Airport
Ranked #81 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Chicago, Illinois
“Budget for $100 per night”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

When did I suddenly wake up and find that $100 per night gets you budget accommodation? Well it does in Honolulu. Location, Location, Location I guess is the key to it.

In reception they have photos of the cast of Hawaii 5O thanking them for filming there. The cast didn't stay there but I am guessing the hotel was used for where the plot tracked some low life criminal who was crashing at a cheap hotel. (Photos showed the cast with guns drawn around the hotel) Anyway the Hotel was proud of it's 3 seconds of fame.

So don't stay here if your overweight or have a heart condition because it is a 3 story walk up with no elevator and if you get a room on the top floor which I did then you’ll want to be part pack mule. They don't have a anyone to help you with luggage either or, if they do they certainly didn't volunteer him when I complained. I had 3 bags one heavy so I made 2 trips up and 2 trips down.

The room is very spartan but has a bed and a shower. There is a microwave and an empty fridge. No jug, no tea or coffee and no cutlery and no minibar. I made the joke when checking out that I didn't have anything from the minibar and the guy serving me looked confused. Okay, so my sense of humor might be a bit esoteric.

The hotel is isolated so you'd need to get a cab for a restaurant but they do have a restaurant downstairs next to reception. It's a Chinese Hamburger crossover joint if you can cope with the food culture. Next to the restaurant there is a Bar too. I didn't eat there so I can't vouch for the food.

This place did have a really nice swimming pool and it was well maintained. The internet worked great and was free and easy to log onto with no stupid passwords. It also has a 24 hour shuttle that runs every half hour on the hour. I found it clean and reasonably well managed.

So if you need a one night stop over near the airport at a reasonable price then this place might fit the bill.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Mark S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 18, 2014

For me the most important criterion was location when looking for a hotel for our late night arrival in Honolulu as I would be driving, tired and slightly disoriented after a long flight, in a city whose streets I didn't know. So I chose the Pacific Marina. It is about a 3 minute drive from the car rental area of the airport. I highly recommend this hotel for its location. The room was OK. A bit run down but clean (that was the next important or equally important criterion) and there was a second room where we left all our luggage and as it was late went right to sleep. In the morning I went down for coffee and, tea, for my husband. The sign said they provided both but there were no tea bags and no hot water. However when I pointed this out the young man behind the desk gave me a tea bag from his personal stash and heated up hot water so my husband could have his tea. Very thoughtful. This hotel was OK and I recommend it for its location and as an overnight hotel.

Room Tip: Room on second floor above the office was quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Janlett
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

The pick up from the airport was good. But then you enter a complex reminiscent of the crystal palace in breaking bad. Add to this that the room smelt like toilet cleaner, the air conditioner was so loud one ear seems quieter this morning, and they failed to tell us that the shuttle back to the airport requires you 10 minutes before the departure time (although the 'it's not my problem' sign was tapped this morning displaying this rule - it wasn't shown after midnight last night) and all in all I'm not a happy camper this morning. Spend $20 more and go for the next one up.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Detunednath

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed one night here on our way to Maui. We had a room with a queen bed and two full size beds in the other room. It works great for families as our 13 year old daughter and 17 year old son each had their own bed. A little on the small side but clean. They have free airport shuttle and coffee. That's about it for amenities. The Chevron station is around the corner so the kid and I went and got ice cream. Woo hoo. There is also a small fridge in the room so it makes it very handy. I am pretty sure that there are people living at the hotel so that makes it kind of weird. However we felt safe. No elevators so you have to carry your luggage if you are on the 2nd or 3rd floors. Nothing to do in the are so hopefully you are coming to sleep, shower and leave. Great for one night stays. I wouldn't do more than that. Oh, and some of the new Hawaii 5-0 has been filmed in the hotel lobby. That makes it fun. Or at least notable.

Room Tip: Our room faced the pool and was on the 2nd floor. We didn't notice any additional noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MaryLou T
Helsinki
Reviewed December 24, 2013

The right hotel for staying overnight close to the airport. They provide all the basics for a fair price and they offer a free and very convenient free shuttle service to the airport. We didn't try the pool, the chinese restaurant wasn't really worth it. The room was small and very noisy, at the ground level and on the outside, so that in addition to airplanes flying over our heads, we also had cars and passers buy keeping us awake.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We used the hotel as a day room for a long lay over in Honolulu. The hotel is close to the airport and has a free shuttle. After arriving at HNL we called the hotel for the shuttle and it arrived within 15 minutes, although it passed us and we had to run after it. Check in was very nice and courteous. The rooms are very similar to a Motel 6,'plus the hotel offers free parking. It might be noisy at night since the windows are not isolated. The pool is nice although cold. The hotel is in an industrial area void of civilization, no shops, no services. Several buslines pass by closely. There is a good and friendly Chinese restaurant in the hotel-- the only one around. The area is filled with several homeless, scavenging through the garbage. The hotel might be filled with Section8 type housing. Although safe, not inviting and a far cry from paradise. Avoid unless you are desperate.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank TomSonntag
Guam, Mariana Islands
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Was here for a quick night in Honolulu from an international location before flying in to Kona the next morning. Regretted staying in this hotel. Very small room. Bathroom and bed were ok. Restaurant does not open to serve breakfast until 0900. Staff not customer-service trained.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business