“Horrible”

Pacific Marina Inn Airport
Ranked #81 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed May 18, 2008

We received a AAA rate and it was $122 after all taxes. This hotel is located very close to the airport but it has no restaurants or hotels nearby . The room did not even have a coffee maker or a hair dryer. the bed was clean. The pictures on the website does not at all resemble the place. Really scary place. We did not feel safe.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank BROYTRAVEL
There are newer reviews for Pacific Marina Inn Airport

Reviewed April 30, 2008

I was stopping over in Honolulu for four days in early December 2007. As it turned out, my visit unintentionally coincided with the timing of the Honolulu Marathon. Therefore, I could not book any of the budget-priced hotels in Waikiki. My choices pretty much came down to something really expensive or... the Pacific Marina Inn. The website makes it look like a decent little property so I figured why not. The stay started out promisingly enough with the complimentary pick-up from the airport (great driver) but went downhill rapidly as we approached the hotel. Looking at the neighborhood, one could be forgiven for thinking that they had been somehow teleported to an industrial park in Oakland, California. The hotel itself is dingy, the pool which looked inviting on the hotel website, looked like something that you wouldn't want to expose your skin to. The room was smallish and barely adequate. A real negative at this hotel is noise from the airport. I have stayed in plenty of airport hotels. They're usually located in such a manner as to avoid as much noise from the runway as possible. Not so with the Pacific Marina Inn. I am an early riser so was in the lobby for complementary coffee before 06:30 in the morning. The thermal pot ran out after I had taken a cup and I informed the desk staff that they were out of coffee. They told me that they only made one pot per morning and that was it! Apart from the coffee incident though, I would have to say the only positive about this hotel is the staff. Everybody I encountered was actually really nice and made you feel welcome. Too bad that they're stuck working in such a horrible, horrible hotel. Thumbs down - adequate for an overnight near the airport and that's about it.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank The_OvenMan
Reviewed February 26, 2008

I stayed here recently and I can't see what everyone's complaining about. I had a really nice ground floor room. It was spotlessly clean and the staff were really helpful. Yes, it's close to the airport- that's the reason I stayed there, along with the 24- hour free shuttle service.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2008

This hotel was so bad, I am glad we stayed for the hour we did, because it gave me a great story to tell our friends back home in Atlanta. We only needed to stay on Oahu one night before our real vacation on Kauai, so I was not picky. I booked through Hotwire. We got to the front desk to check in and they handed us our room key...and the remote to our tv. Um...ok....? That was weird. We walked to our room and saw a sign in one of the rooms that said "Nancy's Fantasy Massage." This is not going to get better, is it? No, no it's not... We get to our room and it was what I would expect to find in the worst hotel in El Salvador. It was horrible. But I STILL was not ready ready to give up on my bargain. Until the domestic violence ensued in the room next to us. Oh yeah...full on fight. smashing, yelling, hitting. The WORKS. We call the Hilton at Waikiki and book a room. But we were stuck at the Pacific Marina Inn until the the fight (which they had taken outside - right next to our door) was over. I threw the keys and the remote on the front desk and ran as fast as I could.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank allisonknoch
Reviewed February 10, 2008

This is NOT a two star hotel and for $130 ($150 after taxes) it should be considered stealing. I walked into the room and it was VERY small, dirty and not even close to the pictures on the website. I went to the desk and imeditly sked for refund. Since I booked this through EXPEDIA they would not give me a refund. I called EXPEDIA and they would not refund my money. I ended eating the $150 and stayed in Waikiki for another $180. Much nicer. Don't let the location fool you. it's not worth it. The staff was not friendly either.

Oh yeah, the hotel is in the middle of a large industry section by the airport with no other hotels nearby. I wish I had taken a photo of the room so you could compare it with the photos on EXPEDIA. not even close.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed December 26, 2007

My wife and I stayed here for one night because we had to change planes at Honolulu Airport to get to Kauai. Once we checked in, we were disappointed by how small and dirty the room was. Quite cramped for two people. Ugly furnishings.

Worse, no one told us that the hotel is located right next to the airport runway! At 5am the next morning, huge jets started taking off every 10 - 15 minutes. They planes were so loud that our room literally shook. I can sleep through just about anything, but this was ridiculous. We got up an hour later and checked out, because it was unbearable. The front desk was rude and acted like everything was normal.

If you need a good night's sleep, do not stay here. For a similar price, you'll be better off at the Ohana airport hotel or the Best Western Plaza.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2007

Our first impression was positive when contacting this hotel from Honolulu Airport - the quoted price included the tax (which wasn't added on when checking out as we experienced at the Radisson Hotel at LAX!)
After thirty minutes waiting, the 'Free Shuttle' collected us from the Airport. Our room was on the ground floor alongside the pool. The first problem we encountered in our small but adequate double bedded room was that after pushing the plug (plunger) into the handbasin to fill it with water, there was no way to release it to drain the remaining water away. The plug (plunger) didn't fit the basin adequately in the first place, which meant that water was constantly emptying. (We informed Management who said they'd have someone check it out!)
Our main frustration that we had at this hotel was the refusal to let us put through a necessary 'Reverse Charge' telephone call to New Zealand from either our room or from Reception. We had to use a telephone out in the open area alongside a snack machine, with people walking past talking and laughing loudly - hardly the place to hold a private conversation.
I went into the pool for a swim in the evening but found the water positively freezing after such a hot day. After our one night stay, the 'Free Shuttle' meant just that but it wouldn't leave the Hotel until there was a ful complement of passengers! Other than those gripes, the positives are: overall, the Staff were friendly, the bed was clean and comfortable and the inexpensive public transport bus was close by which we caught to Waikiki Beach. The small shop nearby stocked a very limited supply of snacks.
We would stay here again, if on an overnight stay but most likely not for longer than that.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple