“OMG STAY AWAY”

Ranked #80 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Honolulu, Hawaii
“OMG STAY AWAY”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had a friend stopping over to HNL for an overnight layover and visited him at this dive of a hotel and was horrified at the rooms, the unsavory and unsafe location (this is based on our observations that night and the next morning AND the warnings of the desk clerk when my buddy checked in). His room (down a few rooms from the office on the main floor) was very small and rundown. It was so moldy smelling that it was disgusting and unhealthy, and the pillows, bed linens and mattress all had the same strong moldy smell. The wallpaper was stained and ripped, and in the bathroom it was stapled onto the wall! The bathroom vent was filthy and rusty, tiles and woodwork old and stained and a decrepit air conditioner in the wall. The unit was incredibly poorly maintained.

I can tell you that any of the hotels near the Honolulu Airport are average to bad, but his place was off the chart.

Room Tip: Head to Waikiki!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank F5993GMericd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hawaii
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The only thing going for this place is the front desk staff and shuttle drivers are nice and the shuttle convenient. But this place is grungy! Not to mention that since it is across from the exotic dancing place the back side looks like a gathering place for "undesireables"...(if you are into that)... you definitely won't want to go barefoot in the room....maybe its worth the extra money to go farther towards town in the CBD or Waikiki or get someone to hose you down in the morning.

ps, i found hair on mine, too. good to know it wasn't just my room. But could have been the same towels!

Room Tip: Gosh, no suggestions....a miracle?
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ChickieGalore

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

New York City
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My friend booked this place without reading the reviews! Who doesn't read reviews?? And by the time I looked at them, it was too late to cancel the reservation without losing money.
The room was small and dirty, I found hair on the linens and the towels. The bed was uncomfortable. The TV remote was broken.
There was no wifi in the room, only in the lounge (that doesn't have ac). We asked the front desk about getting wifi, he gave us a phone number to some tech people in order for us to figure it out. My friend called them several times, once for 40 minutes and they weren't able to do anything. We found other people who were sitting in the lounge on their laptops and found out that they didn't have wifi in their rooms either. When we told the front desk about this and said that they shouldn't advertise the free wifi, the person didn't care and didn't even look away from his computer screen.
When I asked about getting an extra towel, they told me to look for the maid who was cleaning on one of the floors. Uhm, I never had to chase down a maid in order to get a towel.
There were soo many cons to this place. The only pro is that it is close to the airport, but I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Also, some people commented that they saw druggies and prostitutes but I didn't see any and I was there for a week. So I guess that's a pro too....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tagbilaran City, Philippines
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I booked this hotel from an online search as I needed an overnight stay in Honolulu due to my flight connections. There are many negative reviews of this facility but lets be fair and keep it in perspective.
The hotel is located in an industrial area about a 10 minute drive from the airport. They provide free pickup and return to the airport. My room was clean and basic with A/C, TV and WiFi. What does one need for an overnight stay. Free morning coffee is provided in the lobby area. The restaurant is open from 8 am to 8pm. I did not eat there so I cannot comment on it. I brought my own food/snacks to eat on the flight and had leftovers at the hotel. A far better choice than U.S. carriers airline food, some of which you have to pay for. There are no facilities in the immediate area other than a 24 hour Chevron station with the typical snack shop. It is located about a block away. Is it safe to walk there at night? Is it safe to walk in an industrial area at night where you live?
If you are looking for a luxury hotel in Waikiki then that's where you should go and accept the one hour give or take ride to the airport in Honolulu traffic. If you are looking for a budget priced hotel (for Hawaii) that is close to the airport then this is the place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jim S
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stay away! Yes, this place is close to the airport and that is all. The rooms were not very clean and the carpet had sort of a damp/sticky feel to it, even with shoes on. There was hair on the bed linens. This place is more than dated. It is old and dirty. Despite the noisy wall-unit air conditioner we were awakened several times throughout the night by people talking directly outside our window and people running by yelling. We clearly did not read the trip advisor reviews prior to booking this dump.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoAnn C
Burbank, Washington
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a connecting flight in the morning and just wanted something with a shuttle to get us back and forth. The room was tiny but clean. With the airconditioning running any parking lot noise was muffled. While this would not be my idea of a Hawaiian vacation accommodation, it served a very short term purpose.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovetogo1950
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

How does this hotel manage to be on so many international websites? It is terrible. It's close to the airport but that's it. It has nothing else to offer. We got there late as a stopover before we moved to where we are staying now in Laie.

We were shocked to find how bad it was and if we had known we would never have handed over our hard earned cash to this place.

It was filthy there were cockroaches in the rooms. The linen was filthy and scratchy to skin. It was noisy and there was a prositute hanging around by the pool area waiting to be paid and shouting at abuse. I had booked the room for myself but was meeting friends there. I was so scared one of my friends stayed in my room with me.
It's not safe for single women to stay here as the area it's in is lonely and not very friendly. There was nothing to eat so we had to go to the gas station to get some food.

Breakfast in the morning meant eating Chinese food at 10am as they did not serve anything else.

I would never recommend this place to my worst enemy in fact I think tourists should be warned about the dangers of staying here. It's a motel for locals. Security was non existent and there was no part of my stay I found remotely welcoming.

Room Tip: Stay well away
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family