“If you decide to stay in Waikiki, the ORotB offers great service and value”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2011

First, let's get this out of the way: if you have opted to stay in Waikiki, then you have to face the crowds, traffic, and high prices (for some things) at some point. But Waikiki has its advantages (beach, entertainment, near Kap park and DH, somewhat "central" to major points of interest across the island), and we think it only fair to write about ORotB as a Waikiki hotel.

Second, we are former locals, thus making our stay in Waikiki perhaps more efficient than that of a first-time visitor. We rented a car for our entire stay, because we knew that we would be spending chunks of time in Kailua, on the North Shore, in the mauka areas above Waikiki, and east Oahu.

With that background, we think that ORotB is a good balance of service, amenities and price. It does not have a fancy infinity pool overlooking the ocean (instead, it has a family-friendly, salt-water pool in a sunny pavilion). It does not have the best restaurants of Waikiki (but *anyone* can go to the best hotel restaurants AND much of Oahu's best dining is not situated in hotels). It hosts its own grossly overpriced gift shop (and a reasonably priced one, too). And you are best to steer clear of the lure of the time-share sales pitch (nearly all take a polite "no" seriously).

Here's what the ORotB does have that would make us come back (and, in fact, we have stayed there twice!): large (larger than most!), recently renovated, well-appointed and thoughtfully designed rooms (love that the sink/vanity is separate from the shower/toilet); a setting on the beach (yes, it is rocky/reefy, but you can scoot over to the Halekulani beach) on the slightly less insane west part of Waikiki; amazing world-class Hawaiian musical entertainment every night; a generous towel (free) loan service; parking (although you PAY for it); a Starbucks on the first floor; a fabulous beach service team (including the Surf School); and overall great service throughout the hotel. Kudos to the valets who helped get the rust off our sense of direction, the check-in staff for accommodating our requests, and the housekeeping staff for making the sand go away.

Given its location and the peak season in which we were staying, our sleeps were remarkably quiet, with minor disturbances due to the ice machine and an occasional chair scooting across a lanai. We had a few problems with cigarette smoke coming into the room: smoking is prohibited by state law in all hotels -- including the lanais -- yet some guests cannot seem to abide. The hotel takes this law (and complaints about smoke) quite seriously.

Finally, some words about the condos next door, some of which are managed by Outrigger. Wanting a bit more autonomy with our laundry and dining (in), we gave one of these units a try (for a bump up in price). Overall, the move up was not worth it for us. On the superficial end of things, after spending several days in the classy and updated decor of the ORotB rooms, our condo room was comparatively dowdy and showed signs of age, including leaking tub faucets. Less superficial was that the window AC unit in our room made the noise of 10 tanks, which meant that we either slept in the twin beds (on our anniversary?) or slept through some rather humid nights (not uncommon when the trade winds die). The jalousie windows made blocking out external noise a futile exercise. But each unit is slightly different, so if you are sure that your unit's AC units are in working order, then perhaps a rental here would be suitable.

3  Thank fresh_lil_anchovy
Write a ReviewReviews (6,110)

Reviewed February 20, 2011

My recent stay at the Outrigger Reef On The Beach in Honolulu was excellent. This was my first stay there since the property was renovated and they did a great job. The location is very convenient to all points in Waikiki. The rooms are very clean and modern and the open air lobby is a nice relaxing spot. They have a great pool area and location right on the ocean. One downfall, we had an emergency evacuation of the building due to someone pulling the fire alarm. There was no hotel staff around advising guests what was happening or if it was safe to return to our rooms.

4  Thank HamptonDave
Reviewed February 19, 2011

We were on the final stop of our 7 week, wedding/honeymoon vacation, when we got to Hawaii. All we wanted was to relax, before returning to the reality of home and work.

Relaxing meant, lazing by the pool. I was disappointed by the pool, it was a an old fashioned "hotel" pool, not a resort style pool, no landscaping, and NO SWIM UP BAR!!! Having started with our wedding in Bali, and staying at The Padma, perhaps our expectations were VERY high!?

The hotel is on the beach, but an average beach, by Aussie standards, it looked man made.

The rooms were clean, large, and well equipped. Toilet paper was kept on a tight budget though, we had to request extra, a couple of times.

The area around the hotel, is purpose built "tourist central". There was limited options of value for money eating, and all the food seemed to be stuck in the 80's. One welcome exception was Japanese food, although that seemed to have the tourist $ added to it too...

I will admit, we did not travel outside the tourist area, as we we absolutely exhausted, from all our travels, thus cannot give an adequate appraisal of the island. We were however afraid to approach The Concierge at the hotel, for fear of being lured into a time share tour, as that seemed to be the sole purpose of the only concierge we saw at the hotel. We may have gone on a tour, but were afraid we might have had to take a time share tour as well??!!

Only free WIFI, was in the Lobby, very frustrating!!!

Overall, loved relaxing by the pool, if only it was a bit more like the Padma's...... ;-)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank abycat
Reviewed February 19, 2011

We spent 13 nights here and i think that makes me able to give a comprehensive reveiw and after using trip advisor to choose the outrigger reef i am now able to offer my review.
when you arrive at the resort you are greeted by a polite porter who takes you bags and escorts you to the check in desk,there you sit down and again are greeted by a polite check in person who answers all questions,he also congratulated us for our 25 wedding anniversary.
We had booked an oceanview room,it was on the 17th floor in the pacific tower and had good views,the room was spottlessly clean and spacious.
The daily housekeeper was was just so good and attentive she provide us with excellent thick linen fine vanity amentives and fresh clean linen daily.
The bed was super comfortable and the room was peacful so we sleeped very well.
The three resturants were all good but the one that stood out was the oceanhouse as we ate breakfast there 10 out of the 13 mornings,food was plentyful and excellent but most importantly the staff were simply super polite and attentive.
The hotel is right on the beach with plenty of room however there is a reef there so swimming is not pleasent but if you walk to the left to the Halekulani or to the right to near the hilton there is no reef.
The pool area is also nice but we came for the beach so i did not use that area.
Very importantly is that the resort is located at a much quieter end of wakiki and still within walking distance of everything.
I noted on trip advisor that people complained about constant time share sales people but we did not find this at all,just one time we were asked if we would be interested and we politly declind and were never pressured again.
I also suggest that during you stay that you venture out of wakiki and vist other parts of the island like the cental area and the north shore as it gives you a true hawaii experience,you will also note that there are a lot of people who are not very well off at all.
all in all a first class stay and i would not hesitate to reconmend the outrigger reef to others.

7  Thank sotman
Reviewed February 16, 2011

This place is so cool!! Surfing instruction on a really fun break (thanks Pete and the gang at surf school!!!), beach amenities..Umbrellas and Maui JIm shades (you rock, Carlos!!)The staff in general...understanding house keepers, good wait staff at the bars and restaurants...
Great, in fact perfect location on Waikiki, just close enough to shopping and the rest of Honolulu...We'll be back!!

4  Thank colorado1970
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I am so excited to have found the Outrigger Reef. We had originally booked 2 nights at another hotel and then decided to stay 1 more night. The hotel we were at did not have any rooms available so we searched online for another. We found the Outrigger Reef had a few rooms left and the kids liked the idea of being on the beach (so did mom of course). We barely made it out of the vehicle before we had a bell hop taking our luggage. He walked us to Guest Services only to find our room was not quite ready since we were so early. He held our bags while we had lunch at the Shore Bird. What a terrific view while eating as well as the local birds coming through the open windows thrilling my 5 year old daughter. Lunch buffet was amazing and reasonable, too. Our room was all too amazing. Our balcony was large and had a great view. Our bed was so comfortable I did not want to get up. Even the pull out couch my daughters slept in was roomy and comfortable. I will not be staying anywhere but the Outrigger again!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Dawgette22
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed at the Outrigger from February 8 to February 15 booking through Expedia. The occasion was my 40th birthday and this was my first visit to Hawaii. Overall, I definitely recommend this hotel but I was disappointed when none of the hotel staff including the young lady who checked us in acknowledged this event at all even when I specifically commented on this when booking my trip. My recommendation to any first timers is DO NOT BUY THE FOOD VOUCHERS. You may wind up not using them because of other breakfast options that will present themselves all over Waikiki. Plus when I used the vouchers at Ocean House I felt the service was inattentive compared to the attention lavished on other patrons (voucher guests are only allowed to select from certain menu options). When my order was messed up a manager approached to apologize and he explained that Ocean House (and possibly the other dining venues, I'm not sure) are not owned by Outrigger but are leased spaces. I explained my perception that when dining at Ocean House the staff is inattentive and speculated that it was the voucher. He said not at all because $2 of every voucher goes to the waiter in tip. I don't know if that explanation alleviates my concern but after mentioning TripAdvisor I got regal treatment from everyone, all the refills I could want. The hotel check in staff is also not consistent in quality, some are more polished and poised than others. One evening I arrived late from a tour of Kona and went to the concierge stand and asked a gentleman if he could recommend a Chinese restaurant that might deliver to the hotel, he replied, "I have no idea" in a glib smart aleky tone (it turns out he is a timeshare or other representative but not an Outrigger employee) but he sits in the same desk with the hotel concierge under a sign that says "activities/information." I starting walking away when I was approached by a woman who heard the transaction and was very helpful in suggesting places for late night dining, even offering to show me the restaurant menus and calling in a reservation. I think she was embarassed by the treatment I received so I appreciated her sincerity and effort. While our room was clean there were some small items worth commenting on. First, there was a pricetag and a pair of dirty tweezers from a previous guest left on the shelf in the closet. Otherwise I think the room was very clean, well appointed and comfortable. There also appears to be attention to detail in other respects. The refrigerator, for example, was discretely located and the settings were well calibrated, so often in hotels the refrigerators wind up freezing items left on the top shelf, not these, my sodas and bottled waters were nicely chilled, but never frozen. I rented a car for the entire week and had it parked, it was $30 a day and I took it out only 3 out of 8 days but it was worth the expense. The valets were attentive and prompt (I tipped them $2 each time, getting and parking the vehicle). Finally, if you come to Honolulu you must have a mai tai and the Shore Bird mai tai happy hour is every day from Noon to 5pm. They are high quality and delicious. I'm a pretty demanding customer and I notice details, especially in the subtler art of communication between server and served, and despite the issues I mentioned earlier, when I'm in Waikiki next time I will definitely stay at this hotel. Oh yes, they have a Starbucks on premises that opens at 4:30am!

5  Thank pigletpuff