“A great 'all-round' hotel on Waikiki”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 24, 2009

This was our second trip to Waikiki in 12 months and this time (staying at the Outrigger Reef) was even better than last year (staying at Embassy Suites next door, see my other review). We stayed in a City View One Bedroom Suite on the 12th floor. This suite is directly across from the new Trump Tower but you can also see the park and the mountains in the distance.

In the interest of ease-of-reading, let me summarize this hotel with a list of PROs and CONs.

What was great about this hotel:
- Newly renovated, spacious rooms with great furniture and comfortable beds
- Good lanais with comfortable chairs
- Excellent hotel facilities with several shops, restaurants, Starbucks, ATM, etc. on the ground floor
- Choice of two very different breakfast venues to break the monotony for longer stays
- Convenient suite rooms for travelling with younger children
- Access to Waikiki shopping and the beach
- Lively atmosphere all day and friendly staff overall
- Very good spa on location (lady at reception was super-nice as my daughter and I waited for my wife to finish her treatment!)
- Helpful staff at Activities desk
- Good price on rooms considering the quality and location
- Convenience store (mini mart) in the hotel had a good selection of items and prices comparable to the ABC Stores - very convenient!
- Free wired internet in the room

What could be improved:
- Busy lobby area is somewhat confusing with the reception far away from the main entrance
- No microwaves or cutlery in the rooms
- $25-per-day valet parking is a little steep but valets were very friendly
- "Stand in tub"-type showers and mediocre hotel toiletries (we ended up buying our own)
- Street construction noise early in the morning if on the City View side of the hotel
- Breakfast buffet at the Shore Bird Restaurant was only OK. It had no cereal (other than granola) or toast and the juices were too sweet and artificial-tasting.
- Grumpy maitre'd at the Ocean House Restaurant (friendly waitors though)
- Pool area is in an odd location and lacks ambience and atmosphere. It's just simply too small an area for the number of guests at the hotel.
- No free wi-fi in the rooms, only in the lobby - why?

Overall we were very happy with our stay and from what we've seen, Outrigger Reef is probably one of the best hotel choices in Waikiki, especially if you need a suite room and don't mind a City View. We definitely preferred the Outrigger Reef to the similarly priced Embassy Suites room we stayed in last year. The Outrigger rooms are just more luxurious and spacious even if the views weren't quite as good.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Bystedt

Reviewed September 22, 2009

I stayed here three nights at the beginning of my holiday as a bit of a splurge before meeting friends for the rest of my holiday. The thought of a ocean view & refurbishment was enough to sway me. Sadly I found the hotel soul less. Although staff (most) are friendly it is an extremely impersonal hotel. The ocean view was not that great. Sitting round the pool involved being "placed" . Goodness knows what would have happened in I decided to move to a shadier seat.. I guess you would need to ask the rather stern pool attendant if it was okay.....
The breakfast buffet was lovely.
On arrival at this hotel I had no idea where to go. There was no one on the bell desk & I had to ask someone walking past where check in was..this did not give a good impression.
At four thirty in the afternoon my room had still not been serviced. When I rang to query they said all rooms had been serviced but that they would send someone straight away. At five forty pm I rang back again. This is not what I expect from a hotel that charges what it does.
I will never stay here again & am very glad we moved to Embassy Suites next door which is ten times more friendly and the rooms were so much better.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank jjsAuckland
ReefBill, GM at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2009

I wish to apologize - we take hosting our guests as a mission and we will discuss your comments in our staff meeting in order to improve. Please try us again!

Reviewed September 22, 2009

Before booking this trip I read through every review I could, paying special attention to those reviews that were VERY upset. However, I choose to book with the Outrigger because it seemed that those people that were not happy, were in the minority, and those that were happy, were VERY happy with their stay.

Well, my family and I were part of the majority, as we had the best vacation of our lives. My wife and I regularly like to travel to places like Las Vegas that treat their guests like kings. The Outrigger was on par, and even went above some of the more luxurious places that we have stayed.

When we first arrived (after a grueling 11 hours on a cramped plane) we were greeted by smiles all around as a very nice man opened our cab door and had someone else grabbing our luggage right away. He took our name and sent off our luggage to be brought to our rooms for us while we checked in. The man at the front desk was very very nice and even went out of his way to make our 6 year old son feel like he was part of the process of checking in (had him sign a piece of paper to "check in", and then gave a him a backpack filled with fun stuff for the trip, i.e. binoculars, swimming goggles, activity book). He had us checked in and heading to our rooms (along with a stack of coupons for free breakfast at either the Grill or the buffet for every day we were there) very quickly. Once we arrived in our room (which have all been refurbished BEAUTIFULLY) our luggage followed us less than a minute later by a very nice bell hop that explained where the safe was, the hours of the pool, and answered a few questions on how to get to a few locations we had heard of. After he left, we received a phone call from the man that had first greeted us by the cab to make sure that we had been taken care of and that everything was as we expected it (what a great courtesy).

We took advantage of the free breakfast every day and I am delighted to say that everything we ate was fantastic! We ate at both the Kani Ka Pila and the Shorebird buffet for breakfast and were never disappointed.

Through our days we used the activities desk to help us plan things like Snorkling, swimming with the dolphins, a Pearl Harbor tour, a Luau and the activity person even saved me money by showing me how to get to Diamond Head Crater via bus instead of taking a tour so that I could take the hike at my leisure instead of being hurried through with a tour.

There were only 2 downsides to the entire trip. 1 was the construction of the Trump resort right behind the hotel. This was annoying, but totally understandable, there is no where that you can really go without running into some sort of construction.

2 was the volume of the music at the Kani Ka Pila grill. Every night starting at around 5 there was a small band that would play 7 days a week (we stayed for 8 days and they were there every night) until at least 11pm, and the volume of their speakers was WAY too loud. I was in my room on the 8th floor with the door shut, the TV on and could still hear them oh too well.

The day we checked out was the saddest day of the trip, every employee that we had encountered was super friendly and seemed to really go out of their way to make sure that we were happy with what was going on there.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to be treated great during their stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank sfischer1979
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My husband and my sister and I stayed at the Outrigger Reef for 9 nights in Sept 2009 and had an amazing time!! First off, the resort is beautiful and very clean and all of the rooms are newly rennovated and the beds are so comfy!! We had the cheapest room they offer (the Moderate room), and while the view was of the hotel next to us, we expected this and were ok with it to get the cheaper rate. I am sure the ocean view would have been amazing!!! The room was very spacious and we had plenty of room for 3 adults and 10 days worth of luggage. The pool area was clean and very nice and the pool bar was perfect for watching football while relaxing and enjoying the Hawaiian weather. The Shorebird restuarant is on the beach and had pretty good food too. They also had kareoke every night at 9:30pm, which was very entertaining to say the least!! There is also a coupon in the toursist books they give out at the hotel for buy one get one meal 50% off the second meal, so we used those for every meal and saved a little money. The service at the hotel was stellar!!! I needed a wine opener and called the front desk and they had it up to me free of charge in less than 5 mintues. We also had an error on our bill and they didn't even argue with us, and removed the charge immediately and took our word for it.

The hotel beach is nice and less crowded than the main Waikiki beach in front of the other Outrigger hotel, but still only a short walk if you want to go check it out. We spent a few days behind our hotel and then one day at the main Waikiki beach. It is nice it is all in walking distance and there is a nice sidewalk on the beach to stroll down. You get to see all the beach hotels on your walk. There are plenty of beach activities directly behind the hotel and it is nice to be able to go back to the room quickly if you want to.

The Outrigger is also a perfect location to all the shops and restaurants in Waikiki. We didn't need to take cabs at all b/c we could walk everywhere! There is a lot of night life close by the hotel and the hotel always has a hawaiin style band at the pool bar and on Saturday they had hawaiian dancers as well.

The one downfall of the resort was the price of parking. It was $25 dollars a night. We have a friend that lives in Honolulu and he leant us his car one night to go drive around Oahu. I am glad we didn't have a rental car b/c we really only would have needed it for 2 days and then we would have spent $25 a night in parking on top of everything! Bet internet was free in the rooms and down in the lobby and at the pool, which was really nice.

Everything in Honolulu was very expensive as far as food and drinks go, so the hotel wasn't any more expensive than the other bars and restauarnats we went to.

There is also a brand new Hard Rock Cafe being built very close to this hotel and it looks like it is going to be amazing!! It is scheduled to open in May 2010.

Overall it was an amazing trip and we had a great time!!! I forgot to take pictures of the rooms, but they look exactly like the pictures on the hotel website and were spotlessly clean.

3  Thank Kirbear
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Great hotel and excellent staff. Good spot (in the middle of Waikiki) for shopping and walking down mainstreet. Great resturants and a bar on the beach. Only two negative comments that we didn't know before going... valet parking is mandatory, $25 a day. I beat this by parking my car at the Hale Koa for a much cheaper rate (applies if you're active duty or staying at their hotel). Outrigger Reef also took out a pretty hefty deposit from my account without letting me know about it. Other than that, my wife and I very much enjoyed our stay and would consider staying again if we ever make it to Hawaii again.

3  Thank traveling_gnome_83
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We stayed at this hotel 9/5 through 9/12. The staff was great and very attentive to your needs. They are make sure your stay with them is great. I booked a partial ocean view room but you can only see at the corner of our balcony. I didn't care as long as I didn't stay in room without a window. The bed was comfortable and the rooms are newly renovated. A plus because I cannot sleep in rooms that are dirty. I liked the idea that our hotel was very open and not crowded like the other hotels nearby. Access to the beach was great because you don't have to walk far. The ocean is like your backyard. The hotel is simple not cluttered and rooms are easy access. There was daily housekeeping which was great. There was also music playing every evening at their bar & grill restaurant near the lobby when walking by. There was 2 jewelry shops downstairs but more on the expensive side. There was also a mini mart which was okay, but don't worry there is an ABC store on the corner. The hotel did give us complimentary postcards and they picked up the postage. I did not try any restaurants downstairs. However, there's a Starbucks downstairs as you walking out. This was very convenient especially when you got 6am tours or arriving back to your hotel after a long hot afternoon and need a cool drink to relax. We booked several tours and our daily pickup point was at the nearby Sheraton about a block away. It was a nuisance, maybe because the Trump tower was still under construction and the intersection right outside was crazy. Don't get me wrong, I'd still stay at the Outrigger Reef because the Sheraton seems so busy and cluttered. It might have been everyone's main pickup point. There is a park nearby where you can catch the city bus in both directions depending on where you're headed. Don't forget to ask for transfers from the bus driver, so you don't have to pay again on your next bus ride. Oh yeah, the fee is$2.25 per adult/$1 child exact change cash only. There are a lot of shops on your way to the International Market Place which consist of Chanel, Louis Vuitton all the way to ABC stores and other small shops. Also there is a post office nearby. We also used the computer room located downstairs to print our boarding passes, it takes cash and credit cards. You pay by the minute but okay last resort. Printing jobs are 40cents a page. Also downstairs is alamo car rental. we enjoyed our stay and my sister asked would you stay there again? I said yes.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank scorp505
Reviewed September 18, 2009

This was the 10th time we have stayed at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. We when through their remolded and I can see where they spent many millons on the upgrades. From the time we walked into the open lobby, we started seeing major changes. Our room was first class. Nicely done, large LCD TV and great house keeping service.
We have always enjoyed our stay and part of the reason is the management has always been outstanding and they stay on top of every little thing.

1  Thank USCMurrieta