This was our second trip to Waikiki in 12 months and this time (staying at the Outrigger Reef) was even better than last year (staying at Embassy Suites next door, see my other review). We stayed in a City View One Bedroom Suite on the 12th floor. This suite is directly across from the new Trump Tower but you can also see the park and the mountains in the distance.
In the interest of ease-of-reading, let me summarize this hotel with a list of PROs and CONs.
What was great about this hotel:
- Newly renovated, spacious rooms with great furniture and comfortable beds
- Good lanais with comfortable chairs
- Excellent hotel facilities with several shops, restaurants, Starbucks, ATM, etc. on the ground floor
- Choice of two very different breakfast venues to break the monotony for longer stays
- Convenient suite rooms for travelling with younger children
- Access to Waikiki shopping and the beach
- Lively atmosphere all day and friendly staff overall
- Very good spa on location (lady at reception was super-nice as my daughter and I waited for my wife to finish her treatment!)
- Helpful staff at Activities desk
- Good price on rooms considering the quality and location
- Convenience store (mini mart) in the hotel had a good selection of items and prices comparable to the ABC Stores - very convenient!
- Free wired internet in the room
What could be improved:
- Busy lobby area is somewhat confusing with the reception far away from the main entrance
- No microwaves or cutlery in the rooms
- $25-per-day valet parking is a little steep but valets were very friendly
- "Stand in tub"-type showers and mediocre hotel toiletries (we ended up buying our own)
- Street construction noise early in the morning if on the City View side of the hotel
- Breakfast buffet at the Shore Bird Restaurant was only OK. It had no cereal (other than granola) or toast and the juices were too sweet and artificial-tasting.
- Grumpy maitre'd at the Ocean House Restaurant (friendly waitors though)
- Pool area is in an odd location and lacks ambience and atmosphere. It's just simply too small an area for the number of guests at the hotel.
- No free wi-fi in the rooms, only in the lobby - why?
Overall we were very happy with our stay and from what we've seen, Outrigger Reef is probably one of the best hotel choices in Waikiki, especially if you need a suite room and don't mind a City View. We definitely preferred the Outrigger Reef to the similarly priced Embassy Suites room we stayed in last year. The Outrigger rooms are just more luxurious and spacious even if the views weren't quite as good.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Reef On The Beach Hotel Honolulu
- Outrigger Hotel Honolulu
- Outrigger Reef Beach
- Outrigger Honolulu
- Honolulu Outrigger
- Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort Hawaii/Honolulu