“Good and Bad”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 14, 2005

I went to Hawaii with my sister and a friend. We went to the Big island and Honolulu. We stayed at Outrigger hotels both places and the hotel in Kona was absolutely wonderful, wish I could say the same for the outrigger reef on the beach. The hotel itself is not too bad, but there a lot of other negative points. For starters, we had booked a standard room, and upon check-in, we were informed that we had been upgraded to a city-view room , which was bigger at no charge. Naturally we were thriled. Well the room was average size, dread to think what size the standard room is and the city view was a view of Mcdonalds and a construction site. Can't complain because we had booked a standard room. The bathroom was small with a very small shower and no place to put toiletries or and othe vanity products. The Swimming pool was average size and was shared by guests of another partner/sister hotel. The pool area was very small to accomodate that many people. The worst thing was the beach. I have never been to a hotel where there is a private beach having to pay to rent a sun-bed and an umbrella. That was a shock and absolutely ridiculous.. $30 for the day or $10 for an hour. I have travelled to a lot of places and at any beach hotel sun-beds and umbrellas is part of the service. We were totally disgusted by that. Best thing to do, if you want to lay on the beach, grab a towel from the pool side and lie on it. That's what we did!!

The good - The beach restaurant/bar was nice and the night entertainment was good. The staff were friendly as well.

19  Thank Bejal S
Write a ReviewReviews (6,143)

Reviewed November 14, 2005

We stayed at the Outrigger Reef after booking through a travel agent in England we were under the impression that the room on the the main website would be a similar size room to what we were getting in September 2005 for our honeymoon. What a surprise we got!! We got treated appaulingly at reception after previously emailing the hotel to inform them that we were on honeymoon and that we'd like some special arrangements making regarding the room and were told that on check in we'd be assisted. Totally the wrong advice, on check in we were given a small box room facing another building. We could hear the sea but could not see it it was like staring at 4 brick walls and the bed was pushed up against the patio doors. The room was poorly arranged and the bathroom was so tiny that a large person would not have fit through the shower opening in the wall. It was terrible, you think you are going to Hawaii for the best service ever and instead you get Guest Services staff acting really unhelpful and telling you to 'let them speak' when faced with a problem. I have since contacted the hotel via email to inform them about a certain member of staff and it's been a few months now and they can't even be bothered to get back to me to explain or apologize. We never once got a mention in the hotels Newsletter but every other Honeymooning couple got listed and towards the end of our holiday we received a mis-directed phone call that was put through to our room from reception at 6.30am!! I could not believe the incompetence. We were eventually given an alternative 'standard room' which was considerably bigger than the 'box room' but faced the huge building site accross near McDonalds. Noise Noise and more Noise. Oh and they don't tell you but you have to pay for your parking each day even as a hotel guest, ground rent is very expensive in Oahu we were told by locals. $17.50 PER DAY which is a rip off so don't be fooled as they will take as much money off you as they can. They wanted an extra $45 dollars per night off us they said to upgrade us from the small box room to a city view. Please don't be fooled stick your ground and they will have no choice but to move you. Oahu is a beautiful place we enjoyed our time out of the hotel but I know one thing when we go back to the island we will pick one of the better hotels and stay clear from this hotel group.

13  Thank GoldenGnome
A TripAdvisor Member
lancaster england
Reviewed November 12, 2005

We booked our honeymoon in November 2004, to Las Vegas and Hawaii departing on 10th October 2005. We booked a week in the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas and a week at the Outrigger reef on the beach at Waikiki beach, Hawaii. The balance of our honeymoon was paid off 12th April 2005. We then had a phone call from Thomson’s in Lancaster, on 21st September, to say that they had received a letter from Premier Holidays and that there are ‘improvement programmes’ underway, but not to worry as ‘this would not adversely affect our holiday’.
After going to Thomson’s to discuss the matter further I then find out that there are no options open to us other than to move to the Hilton Hawaiian village hotel at a charge to us of £294.50. That Premier Holidays had had no complaints as the work had actually started in April 2005. I asked why it had taken them 5 months to pass this information on to us and Premier Holidays said that it isn’t there fault it is there handling agents that haven’t passed the information on to them. I wanted to know what exact building work was going on and Premier confirmed that 2 side streets where closed and the path was being rebuilt.
I decided that I couldn’t make the decision myself that I would have to speak to my husband to be and that I would check tripadvisor.com to see if other travellers had had any problems with the noise. I found that it wasn’t just a pavement being rebuilt but hotels where being built right opposite the Outrigger Reef and this could be heard in the Outrigger reefs pool area. The building work started at 6.30am everyday apart from Sunday. I put these findings forward to Leanne, in Customer Services at Premier Holidays and they knew nothing of a hotel being built and were not prepared to help in anyway. If we wanted to move hotels we had to pay. I asked if Premier could guarantee us a room at the Hilton on the beach as we had already booked with the Outrigger being on the beach but they said they were not able to do that. I thought that this could at least be a sorry we didn’t let you know earlier and yes we can do that for you, but no. We decided to move to the Hilton Hawaiian Village to make sure that our honeymoon was not disturbed at 6.30am every morning.
When we got to Hawaii they are building 2 hotels straight opposite which we have video footage and photographs attached. The noise was horrendous and not all rooms looked over the beach. Even though ‘the project is taking place at the rear of the hotel’ the rooms still overlook it therefore will be able to hear the noise. Whilst over in Hawaii we picked up a booklet from one of the street vendors, which advertises restaurant and excursions etc it also has maps of Waikiki and the roads concerned in the building work. It’s odd how they have advertised this in a brochure yet the handling agents for Premier Holidays didn’t know anything about the hotels being built.
My biggest points are:
1.Why were we not told in April when the building work started so that we could change flights to the other Hawaiian Islands. We were told in September and by this time could not change any flight details.
2.Not offered any apology or help to change details of our booking they left it all to Thomson’s in Lancaster, who even rang through to Hawaii to check details for us at the Hawaiian Village.

I find it very bizarre how a company can operate this way with out finding out all the correct details before passing these over to their clients.

Stayed: October 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 5, 2005

My new husband and I stayed at this hotel as part of our first two nights of our 21 night honeymoon, and although the actual hotel is nice, the room we were allocated was very dingy and in need of redecoration (although it was extremely clean). We had a crisis at the start of our honeymoon, in that my husband's suitcase did not arrive at the airport in LAX, we spent our two days looking for essential clothes for my husband and speaking to SIMON on the payphone. Although we had explained our situation to reception staff they did not seem to care and pointed us towards the payphones, they almost seemed relieved to see the back of us. It was not until we joined our NCL cruise ship that we received some direction in who could help us locate our suitcase (we received it 11 days later in Maui). Whilst trying to locate our suitcase at the Outrigger, we tried to being some normality to our honeymoon by booking a trip to Pearl Harbour at the venues desk - however, the bus forgot to pick us up!!!!!!! I must say that the bar overlooking the beach is fantastic, the atmosphere and venue is beautiful and the evening entertainment is superb.

• Stayed: June 2004
13  Thank Beanoes
Reviewed October 30, 2005

What a great place to stay in Waikiki ! The Hotel room was clean and roomy. Had the 'partial ocean view' and it was perfect. Sipped coffee on the lanai every morning and watched the surfers wait for the perfect wave. All of the restaurants on property were awesome. The Shore Bird was fun (grilled my own filet mignon) and the cafe and the fancy restaurant was equally great. I will reccomend this property to all of my friends.

• Stayed: October 2005
11  Thank debbielasvegas2004
Reviewed October 29, 2005

Hotel is centrally located - but that's about all it's got going for it. Cleanliness was certainly not a top priority here. Our room had crusty stained carpet, enough mold in the shower to start growing some new science experiment and the pigeons walking on the tables where people eat outside were nasty - some were obviously diseased - GROSS. The pool water was always cloudy with band-aids and other assorted yuk floating in it. At the pool bar you could not charge a drink to your room unless you produced a credit card and picture id - which of course is the whole purpose of charging a drink - so you don't have to carry that stuff around with you. Same story at the spa - made an appointment for a pedicure, gave them my room number then they asked for a credit card to "hold" the appointment - sheesh how desperate are they for money? The hotel ought to spend it on some bleach and scrub brushes...We've traveled to third world countries where the rooms were 10 times nicer and CLEANER - to summarize NEVER AGAIN would I stay there nor would I recommend it...

• Stayed: September 2005
13  Thank Kim W
Reviewed October 26, 2005

After waiting 10 years to achieve a dream vacation with my college girl friend we chose a package deal that included the Outrigger Reef.We had never been to Hawaii. The hotel staff were wonderful in helping with check-in, baggage and directions. The room was very basic with a mensicule bathroom (half bath tub/shower stall and no vanity or place to put toiletries) Our room faced overlooking the new construction, and yes it was noisy, but we did not spend a lot of time in the room.The stores were nice, the hot tub and other public facilites kept clean. Other encounters...The hotel has two beachfront resturants. The one is great for breakfast, lunch or late evening drinks with live music. However the Ocean resturant was a GREAT disappointment.We brought a special bottle of wine from South Africa. We took it to dinner at the Ocean and after asking the waiter and then the manager we were told that they had a policy of "no corkage fee". We could not be served our wine honoring our special evening.The Manager took the wine and "kept it cold for us" The Manager commented " Looks like you will hold it against us all evening! He cited that it was "the owners decision"..??Outrigger, a hotel chain/time-share has a single owner to a hotel resturant???..curois! "We then got very mediocre service with well prepared food. We chose to enjoy our wine and dessert on the beach after dinner and drank water with our meal...wondering why a popular world renouned resort lacked customer service. At the end of our meal we were given our change in a stack of $1.00 dollar bills!!! Drinking wine on the beach IN FRONT OF the Ocean resturant in lovely clothes and chomping truffles turned out to be memorable as we laughed off the dinner and felt so very sorry for our Server.

• Stayed: October 2005