“Go there - its great!”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 18, 2005

I was in Hawaii for three weeks - stayed the first 10 days at the Outrigger Reef. You could not find a better Hotel.
My room was rather small but you get what you pay for but I did have Ocean/beach views. The room was clean and the maid very friendly. The pool area is small for the hotel but you get that and there is always the beach, however they do charge $30 for a beach bed. The Shorebird bar and Restaurant must not be missed. The greatest of views ever. All you can eat Breakfast is $11-40 but there are various vouchers around with $1 off. The place was very full and very busy.
As for the construction work - yes it is all happenning but the work/noise is not intrusive. There is more noise eminating from Tour Buses and Hotel delivery trucks than construction site vehicles - don't let it bother you.
Here are some Oahu tips:
Best Seafood - either Pacific Beach Hotel (all you can eat buffet for $25) or Bubba Gumps on the 4th floor at the Aloa Moana Shopping Centre.
Best Pub - Moose Mcgillycuddys in Lewers Street - Good food too!
Sea Life Park - Thought a bit Amateurish but good for the kids - use the trolly blue line ($25) for a 3 hour round trip there with plenty of stop offs (Diamond Head Crater and beaches etc)
For Pearl Harbor use the shuttle its only $11 and if you go on Wednesday/Saturday or Sunday the ladies can also go to the Aloha Markets where you can get the cheapest of things.
Chinese food - J.R.'s smogasbord in the Hawaii International Market Place only $12-50 for dinner, around 30 dishes plus soft drinks and fresh fruit.
Do a bus tour around the Island (around $50) the only problem is that they do not stop at a lot of places because buses are not allowed to stop there. Find out the history, then hire a car and go back there for your picture shoot etc.
Polynesian Cultural Center - Two days required for this (your pass will allow you to go back again) a long day but worth it - make sure you go to the Samoan Village, the guy is a real crack up! the evening show is brilliant.
I could go on but feel I have said enough, enjoy your trip, enjoy your stay at the Reef and I guarantee you will return.

12  Thank AlaninOz
Write a ReviewReviews (6,070)

Arizona
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I have to admit. I almost did not stay at this hotel because of some of the things I was reading. However I am glad I did. The people were very nice the rooms were more than I could ask for, for the price I payed. We found ourselves going back to the bar area. Perfect area if you wanted to relax on the beach or watch the sunset. Food was also not bad.
I took two friends that had never been to Hawaii. We got a package deal that had the Outrigger as a choice. My friends kept telling me we better not be staying a some hell hole. When we got there they were surprised. In a good way. That week we stayed there, they had construction going on. It never bothered us or got in our way. If you read anything bad about this place. It's too bad, because it really is a great place. Now if it was really expencive. I'd have to say no. When I pay top dollar I ecpect chocolates, and my bed turned down. Things that you get used to at hotels that charge alot. But for the the price and being on the beach. It's perfect!! I will stay there again.
There is one bad thing. I own a time share through " Fairfields Resorts" At the hotel they have a little desk that tells you about TIME SHARES, Because the hotel is great. You may get sucked in. Well don't- I bought my time share in some other state and the Outrigger is one of thier hotels. Well I can't get a hotel through this company if it were to save my life. I also got a better deal somewhere else than going through my time share ownership. I say Screw Fairfields company and if you get a deal for outrigger reef go for it. Just don't get sucked into the Fairfields [--].
Aloha and enjoy!!! Happy people from Arizona (Just not happy with Fairfeilds company)

• Stayed: July 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 9, 2005

Me and my husband and teenagers stay here for a week in June1-8 2005
We loved every minute of it. The hotel was great! We were on the 17th floor(i didnt like)We will be back next year for 2 weeks

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2005

Just returned from our stay at the Outrigger on the Reef from Sept 17 through Sept 25, actually suppose to have left on Sept 24 but we were stranded in Paradise due to Hurricane Rita. Eleven of us went for the wedding of our daughter on Sept 20. I had been concerned very much from the reviews about construction and small dirty rooms. I had read about upgrades but prior to leaving many of the hotels in the area, including the Reef, had no availablilty.

Upon our arrival, the lobby was huge and wide open. We had reserved 5 rooms, standard rooms, and all were ready except one. When I requested an upgrade for the bride and groom, there were not rooms available. I was still nervous until we got to our rooms. The bride was given a mini-suite and the rest of our rooms were clean and beautiful. We were in the Ocean Tower Rooms 901, 902, 903, 905 and 927. Room 905 was the mini suite with a city view. Room 927 was our room and it had a partial ocean view, which was also beautiful. The surf was really loud at times which was so relaxing. The bathroom was small, only a shower but it was very clean. I had read review about black mold and mildew in the showers. There was none in ours. The other rooms were further back from the ocean but you could still see the ocean from the balony. Also the 9th and 10th floors have an express elevator to the ninth floor. People on the tenth floor then walked up about 7 steps and were in the 10th floor.

We could get off our elevator and nealy on the beach. The beach does have rocks, reef-like rocks--not smooth rocks, so bring your swim shoes or get some at the ABC store. I bought mine at the ABC store for $14 and they were worth it. I also used them when we went snorkeling at Hanuuama Bay.
The pool is not really big but plenty of chairs when we were there. The pool is a salt water pool, not like back home in Louisiana.

Bring your walking shoes. You will walk alot.
The Shorebird: we had breakfast buffett for $9 and it was good but we only did this for one morning. Had lunch there one day hamburger $8.99, fries (enough for 2 people)$3 and coke $3. The view was great! It is directly on the beach. It is open to air and was not hot due to the breeze.

The Cheifs Hut breakfast for about $5 per person and it was filling. We liked Starbucks most morings because it was fairly quick to get and cimamion roll and drink to go. McDonald directly across the road and Dennys to the right.

Other restraunts: Toaido's buffett with snow crab legs and fried shrimp, desserts and 40 kinds of sushi. Even if you don't like sushi, which we did not, their was plenty of items for $26 per person. Also Bubba Gumps in the Ala Monia Mall was great, both food and service. Price range $15-20 per person and way more than you can eat. Two couples went to the Cheesecake Factory and said it was great. We went to plantet hollywood, prices like the Shorebird for lunch.

We saw: Germaine's Luau
Pearl Harbor full tour
Society of Seven
Polyneasin Magic Show
The most beautiful wedding on Diamond Head Beach at sunset.

The Outrigger Reef was more that I expected for the the price $148 per night. The maid was very nice and did a good job. The concergie was very helpful with directions and information. We were also delayed b one day due to the Houston airport being shut down due to Hurricane Rita. I beleive her name was Jennifer and she spoke with the hotel desk and arranged for us to stay in our same rooms for an extra night. We payed the same rate of $148. The Activity Desk is a good place to arrange trips. Pearl Harbor trip $38 I think, we took left at 6am and returned at 2 pm or so. The Polynesian Culture Center, $95 per person for the full trip, there are different prices,leaves at 10 am and returns at 10:30 pm. We did not get to do this one due to running out of time. Snorkel at Hanamuna Bay was good, we did not get in the smooth part but did see several different kinds of fish. My 7-year old grandson learned to snorkel in about 10 minutes and loved it.

We would stay at the Reef again, the price was very good for beachfront and our rooms where great in the Ocean Tower.

11  Thank ajaj
Adamsville, Alabama
Reviewed October 8, 2005

WOW...this could not have been a better place or way to celebarate 25 years of marriage. We had absolutely no complaints about the service we recieved at the Outrigger. Unless we wanted to venture outside of the Outrigger we found everything we needed right there. Restuarants, shopping, sailing and weddings are right there waiting for you to enjoy.

We had everything we needed in our room....and the view was spectacular. No need to take shampoo, conditioner, lotions, hairdryers or bath robes.....everything is right there.

We had the breakfast buffet every morning (as part of our travel package ) at the Shorebird Resturant. This buffet had everything you could imagine from cold cereals to pastries to ham and every kind of fresh fruits and juices you could possibly want. To eat in the open air with the ocean as your view....what a way to start your day in paradise. We also ate here twice for dinner which was different.......you grill your own entree (although there is a chef right there to help you and to answer any questions ). This was a fun experience. If you want a more upscale dining experience then I suggest the Ocean View Resturant (also located in the motel ). What a romantic setting! Expensive BUT well worth it. The food is fabulous and the service is second to none.

We celebrated our 25th anniversary by renewing our wedding vows on the beach in the Hawaiin language. This ceremony is so special and meant so much to us. To experience the Hawaiin tradition and the blessing by the priest is more than words could express. In some ways this renewal meant more to us than our ceremony 25 years ago. I have only seen my husband cry 3 times in 25 years and this was one of those times. THANK YOU FOR SUCH A SPECIAL CEREMONY!!!!

We plan to return to Hawaii in 2 years and we will stay at the Outrigger again.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2005

Our stay at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach was wonderful. Four girls, two rooms and 13 nights, although this was my first time staying at the Reef, it was very familiar to me as i had holidayed at the sister hotels close by many times before. Just prior to leaving i read a few reviews which made me quiet concerned as i knew there was alot of construction going on.
They were right, but it's ok, the surrounding area that you walk through is'nt the best, all the shops and restaurants have been demolished but it's only 2 short blocks and this area is so central that we did'nt worry at all, you can always walk along the beach and bypass the lot!
The Quality and size of our rooms were good, we had a "partial ocean veiw"
no upgrades available, don't rely on one. Pool and all restaurants great, staff friendly. Massage poolside v good! Kids will love the cheese pizza.
OK, the good stuff....
* Best ChiChi's at The Hilton Hawaiian Village with Fireworks every friday night.
* "Afternoon tea" (definitely lunch) at the Moana Surfrider on the Banyon Veranda, this is really something special, do the hotel tour first you will recieve a 15% voucher to use off your meal, you will need to book both.
*Duke's, lots of fun, great atmosphere, sundays, long wait for a "barside" table, but worth it! Try the Hula Pie, enough for two or more. Delish!!
*Wonderful breakfast at the "Halekalani","House without a key" restaraunt, not cheap but worth it!
*Warehouse shopping at Waikele, catch the early hotel shuttlle $18 return.
Ala moana for the good gear and ABC for everything from toothpaste to alcohol! Moet....US$38 very cheap..AUD$80 aprox.
*Good priced art outside Honolulu Zoo, Sat & Sun, before 3pm.
*Maui... do the Helicopter, "it's magic", take a car to Lahana, then up to Pineapple Hill, Kapalua, really something to see.
Have lunch at the Pineapple Grill, the veiw is spectacular, one of our most memorable days.

* Most of all, "enjoy", your in Hawaii, best place on earth!

18  Thank 2Hula
florida
Reviewed October 7, 2005

Oahu was not what I expected. We stayed at the Outrigger reef that was very nice and I would recommend it. Oahu nature tours did some very good nature tours, book on the internet if you can it is discounted. Pearl Harbor is a must see and free to get in, if you can get a ride there. Do not rent a car unless you are aware you have to pay for parking, approx. 15.00 a day. Parking can also be hard to find due to not being familiar with the area. Unfortunaley what made a huge impact on my trip was the majority of the people I encountered outside of the hotel were the most rudest and unkind people I have ever come acrosss in my travels!! I have traveled to many countries and exotic places however I will never go back to the island of Oahu due to the unwelcome feeling I received from the people.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member