Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$189
$254
$209
Marriott Hotels
  • Beachfront
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
$204
Agoda.com
$420
$336
6,231 results
All reviewsthe shore birdshorebird restaurantocean house restaurantpacific towerthe kani ka pila grilleocean frontpartial ocean viewwaikiki beachthe activities deskdiamond headtime shareour honeymooncity viewpool sidehawaiian musicoceanfront roommai tais
Reviewed March 11, 2009

First the good: Pleasant staff, nice open air lobby, right on the beach. Near everything in Waikiki.

The bad: Upon arrival our room was clean but the trash bin had not been emptied. Unfortunately the sight of a dirty q-tip and cigarette ash in the bin left a lasting impression.

The ugly: We couldn't get an upgrade so we were stuck with our small room. The view was of an adjacent hotel. Not exactly a pleasant view, especially if workers at the other hotel are walking by looking into your room. And again the dirty q-tip and cigarette ash left a lasting impression. Construction noise in the morning can be annoying.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my trip to Hawaii, but were misled by the reviews on this hotel. Perhaps if I had an ocean front suite it would have been better. But if you're like me traveling on a budget and settling for a smaller room, Outrigger Reef is nothing special.

Trip tips: Book a rental car before your trip. I had wanted to split my trip with using "the bus" and a rental. However I called most of the car rentals in Waikiki and they didn't have any cars available, except for cadillacs and exotics.

Ala Moana Beach Park is a better alternative to Waikiki. Calm waters, no crowds, ideal swim conditions. I wish I brought my swim goggles for some swimming PT. Afterwards you can go to the mall across the street. Best outdoor mall I've ever been to and great food court.

Polynesian Cultural Center, fun and educational. Authentic all you can eat Luau.

Outrigger Catamaran cruise. 90 minute sunset cruise which got extended to 2 hours. We did this before our flight home, it was a great ending for our vacation.

Enjoy your trip to Paradise!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 85Bears
ReefBill, General Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2009

Aloha,

I apologize for any lapse in Housekeeping and we have discussed the incident in our morning Housekeeping briefing with the staff. We take great pride in providing a clean and hospitable environment for our guests and truly regret that we failed in our mission which is: "To share our authentic island traditions and genuine hospitality to create a unique and memorable experience"
Once again, you have my apology.

Mahalo and Warmest Aloha

Reviewed March 5, 2009

The Outrigger has recently been renovated and the quality of the hotel is absolutely top rate.

We were upgraded from a city view room to a partial ocean view room which was amazing. The room was very large, with 2 large double beds (which we had requested, rather than a King), a table and chairs, generous flat screen tv, high quality bathroom and a balcony overlooking the pool and out to sea.

The lobby and communal areas were all very inviting and you step out the front of the hotel right onto the nicest part of Waikiki Beach. There is a Starbucks cafe and 2 restaurants which open up with views over the sea and onto the beach. There is not a great selection at the lower-end restaurant but it is quite fun in that you grill your meal yourself.

Would highly recommend a visit next door to the Halekulani Hotel (most expensive hotel in the area) for a cocktail during their happy hour to watch the sunset and the traditional live Hawaiian music in their bar "House without a Key".

I have no hesitation in recommending the Outrigger Reef, we would love to go back.

• Stayed: February 2009
6  Thank LuluRLondon
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times. My first trip coincided with Hurricane Iniki, yet I never saw a ruffled feather among the staff while they made sure we were all safe. My second trip was NYE 2000 to welcome the new decade, and my most recent trip was last month. I keep coming back to this hotel because of the service, location, and the value.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spyder94
Reviewed February 28, 2009

The rooms were gorgeous-pool&3 hot-tubs we're great.Loved being right on the beach.The bar &restaurant overlook the beach& Diamond Head.Hotel was within walking distance of lots of shopping&activities- aquarium,museum etc.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2009

First impressions
· welcoming open air lobby and front desk area
· greeted with a warm aloha and a cold towel and ice water
· moderate room in the ocean tower; somewhat underwhelming view (faced neighbour hotel but could see beach between two hotels)
· used the safe and mini-fridge extensively
· free long-distance and wifi!

Additional comments
· prefer this end of Kalakaua Avenue as closer to newer restaurants, shopping, and other amenities
· bus stops very close by and easy to use
· weather was cooler than usual for this time of year; wish we had brought warmer clothes for evenings

Tips
· had drinks at sunset on our first night at House Without a Key at the Halekalani hotel next door; beautiful backdrop to live music and hula dancer; make sure you get there early so that you can get your seats and drink before the sun sets
· we rented a car for 3 days at Budget rather than Hertz in the hotel; only 10 minute walk away and less expensive; $25/night valet parking fee with in & out privileges
· we used the car rental to go to the Iwilei Costco about 20 minutes away for sliced pineapple and water bottles for the hotel room and chocolate covered macademia nuts and kona coffee for souvenirs (great prices and convenient travel packaging)
· we took surfing lessons from an outfit right in front of the hotel beach ($45 for 1 ½ hr group lesson; conditions were better in the morning and significantly less crowded than main Waikiki beaches to the east)
· we found a farmer’s market located in the parking lot of Kapiolani Community College on Saturday morning which was great for local fare and fresh island fruits/veggies; it’s on the way to Diamond Head and/or Hanauma Bay
· purchased an Entertainment Book for Hawaii off of Craigslist before our trip