“Loved it, will go back!”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Yucaipa, CA
Reviewed September 12, 2004

Can only say how wonderful this place was. I have to admit after reading previous reviews, I was skeptical when I arrived, and today I am glad of the choice I made to stay here. It was clean, and the location was great, and local to all shopping and dinning.. The vallee parking was quick, not long and inconvenience as other reviewers had commented. Our housekeeper was wonderful, I tipped her graciously for her great effort in all she did. The one thing I do have to suggest for those using the beach, take beach shoes, the beach was very rocky (ouch!). Other than that it was a perfect place for my families stay.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (6,070)

Reviewed September 10, 2004

My husband and I just returned from our stay at the Outrigger Reef in Waikiki. I was in Honolulu on business, so my husband came along for the ride since he had never been to Oahu before. We found the Outrigger Reef to be a wonderful place to stay. The location is ideal - ON the beach and right near the heart of Waikiki shopping. One night we saw a sea turtle swimming near us in the water right outside the hotel. It was amazing! The beach is rocky once you get in the water but was still good for swimming.

The staff was great and the valet group was really helpful. Our room was huge! We stayed in room 316 (Ocean Tower) and had a partial ocean view. The bathroom was pretty small but functional and efficient. (Loved their sea kelp soap!) We also had a couch in our room, which my husband stretched out on to read when it was too hot outside. One thing I did notice was the walls were a bit thin. We had a family with young children next door and once or twice we could hear the kids screaming/crying, but it wasn't anything that kept us up at night.

The restaurants we ate at were the Chief Hut (for breakfast) and the Shore Bird (breakfast buffet, lunch, and dinner). The prices were reasonable and the food/drink was good. We would absolutely stay there again and will recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled on business
6  Thank joanne511
Reviewed September 10, 2004

We had reviewed some of the reviews posted about this hotel and was concerned about some of the things posted. We found the rooms to be a bit small but exceptionally clean. We asked for an upgrade upon our arrival and they worked very hard to accommodate us and did so without additional cost. You have to valet park but that seems pretty standard in Honolulu. The valet is exceptional as well. We never waited long for our car and they aimed to please. In the room there was a refridgerator and a private Lanai. We had a partial view of the ocean which was fine because we spent more time outside the hotel than inside. The staff was very friendly and courteous. I couldn't praise them more. We would most definately stay here again.

2  Thank okcoxg
Reviewed August 30, 2004

The OUTRIGGER REEF ON THE BEACH was superb in every, from the accommodations to the service, to the attitude of the staff who could not have been more helpful.
The children loved it and, as regular and seasoned travellers, we were very impressed. I would recommend Oahu as the PARADISE it is said to be and the OUTRIGGER as the place to stay for value for money, quality and comfort. The hotel is on the beach, close to all the pleasures waikiki has to offer. We will be back very soon. The sunshine certainly beats a British summer.

• Stayed: June 2004
3  Thank UnitedKingdomAnne
Reviewed August 17, 2004

The hotel put us in a room right by the elevators so of course we heard the elevators going up and down all night long - Service at the bar very good - the Shore Side restaurant breakfast buffet very good and the idea of cooking your own meat at night at the same restaurant was interesting - The marriage renewal ceremony on Friday was nice - but not well planned - If we go back to Hawaii we probably won't stay there or in Wakikik at all - too commercial

2  Thank GeniaK
A TripAdvisor Member
Omaha, NE
Reviewed August 12, 2004

We recently returned from a week's stay in Oahu for our honeymoon. When I chose the Outrigger Reef, I had read all the reviews and knew what to expect. Yes, the bathrooms are tiny. Yes, there are nicer hotels. But I'll tell you this - I highly doubt there is a better hotel in Honolulu for the money.

We stayed in an ocean front room - probably one of the best views from a hotel lanai in Honolulu (the hotel sits on the beach, about 30 feet away from the water). The room came with a king bed, a couch, two chairs and a table, plus chairs and a small table on the lanai. The room itself was not overly spectacular, but if you plan to spend most of your time in your hotel room, you probably shouldn't be going to Hawaii!

The beach in front of the hotel - which is NOT Waikiki, as other reviewers have mistakenly stated - doesn't get too crowded (like Waikiki), but there are better beaches on the island to relax at (try the North Shore). It really empties out when the sun goes down, which gives you a chance to take a nice, quiet beach stroll or to sit on your lanai and listen to the ocean.

As stated by other reviewers, the staff is very friendly. The timeshare people can be annoying, but easily avoided. The valets work hard at their jobs, but occasionally it can take a while to get your car (when there's only three of them trying to get cars for a lobby full of people, the long wait is understandable). The restaurants are good, but not great.

Overall, if you're going to Oahu to try and take in as much as the island has to offer, this is a great place to stay. A lot of things are within walking distance, and it's a nice place to return to after a day on the beach or seeing the sites. If you plan to spend most of your time in your room, I'd suggest staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2004
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2004

We spent a week of our honeymoon here and the hotel was faultless. Spotlessly clean at all times, the staff were all friendly and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

There's a good selection of shops on the premises, selling clothing, food and drink and a whole lot more, and three restaurants. Our favourite was The Shore Bird, overlooking Waikiki Beach, where you're given raw pieces of meat or fish to take over and cook yourself on their barbecue.

Rooms were compact but very functional, with a safe and fridge in the room, although the bathroom was a little small. The lifts are very slow, but then again, this is Hawaii! We concluded that the lifts ran on Hawaiian time!

The hotel is in a good location, between the market place area to the east and the Ala Moana shopping area to the west.

I'd stay at the Outrigger Reef again in a heartbeat and can recommend it to anybody.

2  Thank twistedg