“Great 4 night stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Great 4 night stay”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

We started our vacation in Waikiki and then went to Kauai and Maui. This was a great stop to start to acclimatize from our city life in North America to the tropical paradise of Hawaii. We had an oceanfront room with terrific views but would have been somewhat better higher up (we were in the second floor). The room was small but certainly good for the 2 of us. I don't agree with a previous review regarding the staff - we had great experience, smiles all around and everyone trying to be very helpful at all times. From the moment we arrived after a gruelling almost 20 hours of travel - we were greeted with friendly and helpful service. I will warn you that the concierges are really Expedia staff who sell trips and activities. Having said that, they were helpful but you need to be assertive. If what you are asking for if it isn't a trip they can sell you - just keep pressing and they will certainly be helpful on guiding you to local restaurants and other activities. You are forewarned that it is a hard sell when you go to them. The restaurants in the hotel are great, the beach and pool were terrific. Not having to walk miles or blocks to the beach is perfect. The Outrigger is well situated and you can walk all around - no need for cars. We took the bus to Diamond Head with no problem. Note - the elevators take a bit of getting used to but once you have it figured out - the added security is great. All in all - ideally located, clean, friendly staff, great views, wonderful start to our vacation. We'd certainly stay there again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cdn1_Traveller
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you and Mahalo for choosing to stay at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your oceanfront room and the convenient location of the hotel in Waikiki. Our staff takes great pride in providing superior customer service and enjoys reading about our guests’ experiences here at our hotel. I appreciate all of your feedback and will post them for the staff to read.

We hope to see you back here really soon! Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,478)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I have just returned after spending a week there to celebrate our thirtieth wedding anniversary. I do not have one bad thing to say about this place, from the moment we arrived, the staff were very friendly the room spectacular, we had an oceanfront room 517, the view glorious the room extremely clean and the most comfiest bed. The location was perfect for walking to the shopping precinct. We had the the hotel organise the tours for us and the guy that organised them all was very helpful and didn't give us any bad tours. Definitely recommend the chiefs luau brilliant. So yes definitely worth the five stars I gave it.

Room Tip: If you can go for the oceanfront room was not noisy at all
2 Thank Donna F
OutriggerReefHotel, Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Aloha Donna F.,
Congratulations on your thirtieth wedding anniversary! We are honored that you chose us to help you celebrate this special occasion and we are thrilled to know that you felt we provided you with five star service and accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back for your future anniversaries. We offer a complementary Hawaiian wedding vow renewal ceremony exclusively for our guests so you might be interested in returning to experience that on a future anniversary. Mahalo!
hellertown
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Had a oceanfront room on the 4th floor above the grill and the karaoke bar. The smell from the grill and the karaoke from 9:30 -1:30 AM made it a really impossible room....albeit with a great view. The next day, my husband went down to the front desk and after quite a bit of negotiation, we were transferred to the 10th floor....what a view and the room was lovely.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on a top floor if you are a light sleeper.
4 Thank kate040
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Aloha & thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Outirgger Reef on the Beach. We at Outrigger Hotels & Resorts pride ourselves on providing the utmost in Hawaiian Hospitality and Lodging. We regret to see that you were not satisfied with the Ocean Front room we assigned. We appreciate your concerns and we will certainly share this information with Shore Bird management. We were pleased to hear that we were able to make the remainder of your stay with us pleasureable and will certainly pass your review on to the Front Desk & thank them for turning your vacation around. We hope that you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back to the Outrigger Reef on the Beach and to satisfy your expectations with our spirit of Aloha.
Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

I would like to make it clear that the entire review i am giving below is based purely on my feelings and opinions of my stay at the outrigger reef and is not meant to represent fact in any way. Okay... The outrigger reef on the beach is (i feel) a 2 star hotel with 4.5 star views (if you have an Oceanfront room). Oceanview is really not worth the money as you can barely see the ocean in my opinion.
I would have given the views 5 stars had I not had to practically throw myself over the balcony to see part of diamond head. We stayed in room *18 and I don't want to identify myself by telling you the floor so please note that oceanfront rooms ending with 18 have 2 double beds. (You'd think you'd get a couple queens if this is a 4.5 star hotel!) and that's as close as you'll get to good views of diamond head if you request 2 doubles. Rooms ending with 19 and 20 have even poorer views. If you request a king or the one bedroom corner you'll have better views, corner being best. Now the good the bad and the ugly. I read most of the reviews before choosing this hotel and a lot of what you read online appears to be false (surprise surprise!).
I could go on forever so ill make it brief.
I read that the staff were friendly so that was important to me. The staff, I feel, were rude so 0/5 stars there. Dealt with reception every day and they were all rude to us except maybe one. If you want friendly, stay at the Ohana East. (Should have stuck with where I usually stay.)
When you book the reef, they tell you the bill is payable at the end of your stay. What they don't tell you is that they freeze the entire amount upon arrival! And if you're from Australia, they tell you it's a 'new rule' that they don't accept debit cards with the visa function as a real credit card. (The girl upon check in also mocked us and told us she knew all about australians and their cards in a mocking tone) So you must pay everything up front!!! I felt this was discrimination against Australians,
they aren't honest upfront at booking and that they didn't trust us as it takes 3 days for payment to clear this way. We were staying for 2 weeks so it shouldn't have been a problem. So I decided to drip feed payment to them paying one or 2 nights in advance every day or two. I just didn't feel trusted and so I returned the favor. But... They didn't hesitate in leaving notes under my door and messages on my phone every day to remind me to pay, even if I was in credit!!! Very unprofessional in my opinion.
The beds were full of itch (dust mites?) I hope just that although my kids woke up with red marks.
The beds themselves needed to be replaced and felt broken (guess that was overlooked in the 110$ million dollar renovations??).
Did not sleep the whole time I was there (none of us did) because the beds were so uncomfortable. I sooo needed a restful holiday.
The serenity spa which was required due to bad backs and necks was wonderful though (until I tossed and turned the next night). Todd is the best!!! Amazing massage.
The acon was nice and strong.
It was the only hotel I have EVER STAYED IN where the maids often don't say hello or good morning.
Had to leave big tips every day and tell them to change the bedding in order to be able to sleep without itching and felt I was really putting them out asking for BOTH beds to be changed. BOTH BEDS??!! Yes both please :). If I didn't see the maids the bedding wasn't changed but the tip was gone and sometimes the radio was left blaring.
Had to ask them to vacuum too as I felt my feet were being bitten.
The pool wasn't really cold like the reviews say (it is hawaii) but I can't say I appreciated coming out of the water with a film of coconut suntan oil all over my body and the most horrendous taste on my lips. Yuck!
Location: nice part of the beach, very pretty. Thought it would be convenient to just get up in the morning and throw on my swimmers and go for a dip but not so! You get about 2 feet out and then it becomes painfully rocky and full of coral. Too painful. The best place to swim if you like waves is in front of the moana surfrider, and if you have kiddies, the Hilton (not sure about that green foam along the shore??) or in front of the Pacific hotel where it's clean calm warm shallow and there are small fish.
An added note is I took my kids to build sand castles in front of the hotel on the first morning (since swimming was out of the question) and there was a man there with tattoos who rents the beach chairs who was basically standing over us the whole time, to try to intimidate us to leave so he could lay more chairs on the beach in my opinion. I wanted to take photos of my kids so I went a few feet away and my wife was so uncomfortable she urged me to come back and sit with her and the kids. He just looked as if he was eyeing off our stuff and he was menacing and had his arms crossed and he was so close. Finally I had to go stand right beside him with my arms crossed to let him know that I was onto him, he got the message and left for a bit but then came back. These are the nice memories I have of my first morning there. Thanks greasy chair dude, hope you have a cloudy day today! Nobody wants those greasy chairs. I don't know why the state allows guys like that to rent chairs on the beach! Anyway if you want to frolic on the beach, make sure you get there early and stick to the little tiny strip of beach right in front of the hotel restaurant shore bird so everyone can stare at you in your swimwear while they gobble their bacon and eggs. And don't mind the greasy beach chair umbrella guy with the tatts, the flavor saver and the 80's mustache giving you dirty looks. Nice touch!
Restaurants: 3 restaurants. Ocean house: best breakfast period. Dukes doesn't even compare. Clean (amazingly clean), real Kona coffee (hallelujah), fruit in season, every attention to detail. Don't go there for dinner (disorganized and very average, different people)
Lunch: shore bird. Food is good. Service is average but overall nice atmosphere.
Dinner: Kanikapila (decent food, great live music), ok cocktails, friendly staff. Don't get these wrong people. Tried to go to Kanikapila for breakfast a couple times and an older lady 'hostess' basically shooed us away saying we were one minute late. And then when we came back for lunch I don't think she was too happy to see us either. Something was amiss with my bean dip nachos, lets just leave it at that.
We got to breakfast an hour and one minute early the following day and she said we just made it. She even looked at her watch before letting us in. She immediately proceeded to rip all the breakfast menus off all the other tables until a younger waitress told her breakfast was still on for another hour. Hah! She almost spilled a pot of coffee on my 2 year old and needless to say, no tip was given. I'm not naming any names but...
You Wanna go somewhere else? You Wanna nachos?
You Wanna nuther coffee?
Valet: some were friendly :).
Security: shared between hotels, took 10 minutes to arrive when I alerted staff to a man wielding a knife outside the shore bird one night 2 feet away from me. Don't be too trusting of people even if its a 4.5 star hotel. I was approached in the morning by someone who wanted to make a local call on my phone just outside Starbucks on the hotel property saying it was an emergency and his wife needed the hospital. Of course I politely directed him to concierge since I've heard of this scam where they dial their own 1800 number which just happens to charge $1000/minute to support their crack and meth habits. Starbucks is good.
The wifi is slower than dial up and mostly doesn't work, had to sit in Starbucks to get a little but that didn't work sometimes. So frustrated the whole time with this wifi!!!
The safe is a joke, I feel. Don't store valuables in there!!! It's bolted to the cabinet by 2 tiny piddly little screws which have hex shape underneath for easy release. You could just opt to rip it off with your hands as the wood looks flimsy. That is my unprofessional opinion but it scared the bejesus out of me when I saw this as I'd been storing passports and sd cards and the likes. Not after this realisation!
The balconies feel safe from people jumping over into your room. I really liked the design of the walls for this reason.
Oh and I thought I'd have pesky time share people hassling me the whole time based on the reviews but they don't come out from behind their counter anymore so all good there :).
Hawaii has changed over the years and people are rude in general in my opinion, doesn't matter what hotel you stay at (except the ohana). It's like the spirit of aloha is gone and it only still lives in your heart from 30 years ago. That's how long I've been coming to hawaii more than a dozen times. Now it's like a money sucking machine and quite frankly I'm thinking of not returning. I have better places to spend my money. You get no special treatment if you are dignified or wealthy or single or with a family. There ARE some truly kind people, white and hawaiian, but it is getting less and less. Smiles are few and far between and you just get this feeling of malcontentness and distaste for those horrible tourists who bring life to these islands with their joy and their money. That's how I feel folks! Aloha!

Stayed February 2014
17 Thank TravelGuy103
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We spent 3 nights here after a week in Kauai and I must say it was a shock to the system after such a peaceful place. The hotel itself was nice but very busy. We had an oceanfront room and the view was lovely but we were on the 3 floor and it was pretty noisy. Would have loved to leave the doors open at night to hear the waves crashing but the hotel has Karaoke until 1:30 am in the restaurant which was REALLY loud plus there were people out on the beach pretty much all night.
Maybe a higher floor would be better. Also a little disappointed given the price for the room that my 21 year old son only had a fold out couch to sleep on.
If you like being in the middle of the action I guess its the place to be - a shoppers paradise.
Activities desk were really helpful and nice, reception desk is 24 hours which made our 3am check out easy, the guys at the Bell desk booked us a taxi which was waiting at this time also.

Room Tip: Ocean front but somewhere over the fifth floor I think would be better.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Alfiedog21
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you and Mahalo for choosing to stay at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. While we were unable to provide the quiet tranquility you experienced on Kauai due to the multiple activities Oahu and Waikiki in general have to offer, we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback.

We hope that you provide us with another opportunity to serve you. Mahalo!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights before continuing to Kauai. Our room was clean and comfortable though on the last night there were some very loud people in rooms nearby. Not the hotel's fault but I did mention it to the checkout clerk.
Dined in 2 of their restaurants and the food was good. Loved the stores at the hotel.
Nearby all the famous upmarket stores which we avoided. Waikiki is a busy place which you need to remember before booking.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline W
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed February 24, 2014

There are fancier hotels and more expensive hotels on Waikiki Beach, but the Outrigger Reef delivers the Honolulu vacation experience that you're probably looking for. The hotel is indeed on the beach adjacent to Fort DeRussy and a 10min quiet beach walk from the Hilton Hotel complex, The other direction takes you into the heart of the busy hotel and shopping district of the international city of Honolulu. Our room was simple and comfortable with pineapple carved bed posts and underwater photos of sea life. Yes, the 'partial ocean view' means that you are overlooking the courtyard and can see the ocean to your right: this is standard for high rise beach hotels. We greatly appreciated the chaise lounge chairs around the pool; some of which are in the shade with overhead fans so you can avoid frying your skin in the afternoon. There is a great happy hour at the pool bar where you can get a Mai Tai for $5. You'll also find music in the courtyard most nights The hotel has two other restaurants which face the ocean: the Shore Bird which is noisy, crowded, and features 'cook your own meal' on a grill. The Ocean House has wonderful food in a more traditional and quieter environment: Be sure to make reservations. Our only complaint about Outrigger Reef is that the pool and hot tub close promptly at 9pm. We would have liked some more 'down time' in the hot tub after a busy day.

1 Thank DoctorM
Aloha DoctorM,
We appreciate that you took the time to inform us and other Trip Advisor readers what you enjoyed about the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Thank you for commenting that you feel we deliver an experience that most people look for. What a compliment! We do strive to make this a place that has something for everyone. Please return again soon. Mahalo!