“Location and property are very good.”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have been to Waikiki over 10 times now but this was my first experience at the Outrigger Reef. I have stayed at condos and hotels all over Waikiki and this is definitely one of the better properties I have stayed at.

The hotel is tucked in at one end of Waikiki near Fort Derussy so it is a bit less hectic than the ones closer to Waikiki beach and the middle of Kalakaua. To one side is the Waikiki Shore that I have stayed at before and the other side is the 5 star Halekulani. The Outrigger has been here for a long time and underwent a renovation a number of years ago. The renovations have been well maintained as I found the property and the rooms to be very good.

Upon arrival you walk down past some shops and the pool side bar to reception. Everyone is very eager to help and the reception attendant eagerly engaged me before I even got close. Check in was quick and I was up to my room shortly afterwards. I had a partial ocean view room on the 9th floor that was closer to the street side than the ocean side but since the Waikiki Shore isn't very deep I saw past it and the ocean was right there off my balcony. My view was of the ocean, Fort Derussy and if I looked north the mountains and the Trump property.

My room had two double beds and was a good size. I have been in much smaller than this so it was a pleasant surprise. There was a built in safe and the wifi was free which is greatly appreciated. I do not like hotels that make you pay exorbitant fees for wifi. As I said before, the room was clean and well maintained. Everything was in good operating order. The only thing I would say is that the TV programming was still standard definition and the picture quality needs improvement but this is a small quibble given you come to Hawaii to be outside.

The bathroom was also spacious. Hot water was very quick to the tap. The shower had the curved shower rod as I always like and there is a light in the shower/tub area which I appreciate. The only small downside was the shower head. It didn't provide as much volume of water as I would like but I'm not sure if it was the pressure or the head. I think the shower head since the sink tap was quite powerful.

The thing I wish was a bit better was the noise isolation in the rooms. You can definitely hear water noise (toilets flushing and water flowing from showers) although it isn't extreme. I would just prefer better noise isolation.

We spent time at the pool as well. The only downside here is that the Halekulani is quite high so it takes until almost noon for the sun to directly hit the poolside area. Getting a towel is easy and the attendants are efficient. There are a lot of lounge chairs but it can get busy during the prime time.

I tried both the Ocean House and Shorebird for breakfast. Ocean House is not cheap but the selection of breakfast items and the quality of the food and service is top notch. The Shorebird on the other hand was average at best. It is much cheaper for a buffet style breakfast but I found the selection to be so limited and the quality of the food to be so average that I am willing to pay a lot more to go to Ocean House.

There is an attached Starbucks as well right at the entrance which is very handy for those of us who like Starbucks.

Checkout was as checkin, excellent reception staff who engage immediately and are friendly and efficient. Well trained people here.

Overall I would stay here again although it isn't the cheapest place to be but a hotel on the beach never is.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank warmhappyfeet
There are newer reviews for Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The Hotel is placed in the perfect spot whether you have a oceanview or not. We were 20yards away from nice warm beach. The restaurant have a cook your own steak night with all the extras you can imagine. Happy hour were the best. Shopping was less than a block away. The Staff was upbeat and very nice. Its was pretty spendy staying there, but it was worth it. I'll be there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dilleetee
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our first time toHawaii, and after 3 nights each at Maui, Big Island and Kauai, we finnished here for 5 nights.A wonderful location, right on the beach and central to a large array of shops. We were without a car but this was not a disadvantage as all tours and airport transfers pick up and drop off to and from theOutrigger.
Everything about the place met our expectations with 2 minor exceptions....only one English Breakfast tea bags supplied to the room and my eggs and tomato on toast for breakfast turned up barely luke warm with very runny whites.....yuk
We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Do ask for a beach view room.....and ask for it to be 3rd 4th 5th or 6th level.....it is quite magic...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank david t
Reviewed October 28, 2013

You can't really go wrong with this hotel. Partial ocean view was great, rooms were big and comfortable, restaurants were excellent, breakfast buffet was amazing value (buy 1 get 1 half price!), and being able to walk along the beech to town was a bonus. Loved the hotel, next time we will try a quieter island though!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just stayed at the Outrigger Reef for 3 days whilst on a conference, and pleasantly surprised. Large rooms, great service, excellent location.
A great way to start the day is breakfast right on the beach watching all the activities - TIP: go to the a la carte restaurant on the RH side - not the buffet breakfast on the LH side (very ordinary).
The military museum is next door, and it is easy to kill 45 minutes to an hour browsing through here (free entry). Go for a walk and you will find that there are tons of options to explore within a 500 metre radius.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Tom W
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was our 4th trip to Outrigger Reef on the Beach - and once again we had an amazing stay. Housemaid staff are very friendly and do a great job. The meals at the grill around the pool with the live music at night is lovely. The hotel is in an awesome location being right on the beach and so handy to everything else (shops, restaurants, transport etc). We will be back again for sure next year. We just so love the Outrigger and don't dare go anywhere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hangar2jo
Reviewed October 27, 2013

After staying here last year, we booked to stay here again and were not dissappointed. Nicely located with everything you need to have a relaxing holiday.
We eat at 2 of the 3 restaurants, and found both very good. Easy walk to all the retail shops and just love sitting in Shorebirds looking out over beach and Diamond Head. The rooms are very well kept and staff are freindly.
Only thing to watch out for are the Wynhan Salespeople and the make up sales ladies.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends