“A nice stay with a few hiccups - 3.5 stars”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed here recently for 3 nights. It was our first stay at this hotel and we have always wanted to stay here after 2 previous trips to Hawaii. For the most part, it did not disappoint. Check in was a little longer than expected with the staff member telling us his very long and boring life story about a Da Vinci painting that his cousin had inherited and had to sell due to illness... good grief it was ridiculous, I don't even know how he got on the topic. We just wanted to get to the room already!

So we get to the room eventually, room 1025 on the 10th floor. I had researched and deliberated over the room types extensively. I had originally wanted to book ocean front rooms but these were a little out of our budget, so we went for ocean view instead. When we checked in I was quite disappointed to have a tiny view of the ocean, and the rest of the view was of Fort Derussy park and the city. I'm not the type to complain so I let it go, but it put a bit of a dampener on the trip for me and according to the room map on the website, it seems like we were put in the wrong category room, but I could be wrong. So a tip for those wanting a really good view - I guess oceanfront is the only way to go (if you can afford it). It later worked out okay as we had an amazing view of the fireworks on Friday night (in front of the Hilton hotel) - this was pretty special and such a nice way to finish our trip.

The room was nice, the bed was quite comfortable. There is not a huge amount of space, though we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. It was nicely set out and the bathroom was a good size. The toilet flushing was really, really loud (like a plane toilet!) which was a little scary when using the bathroom at night time! Housekeeping was a little hit and miss, one day they cleaned our room and took the towels but didn't replace them which was annoying, as we then had to call the front desk and request some more towels. And then the person who stood there to bring them up expected a tip, um sorry, don't think so buddy when it was the hotel's mistake, not ours.

The staff were inconsistent, some were good but overall they weren't the friendliest I have ever dealt with. The guy at the pool hut was quite rude and ignored me at first because he was too busy playing on his phone! Shorebird staff were ok. We did have a good meal here. Make sure you use the coupons in the book they give you when you check in. We didn't get to try the Kani Pa Grille but heard it is quite good.

We didn't use the pool either, it is quite small though there are ample sunchairs which is good. The beach was beautiful, though a little rocky. If you walk a bit further it's little less rocky.

Ignore the card on the bed about a 'free gift' - it's a timeshare scam. These people are so annoying, I understand they have a job to do but I think there are better ways to go about it than harassing people on their holiday! Avoid the left hand (Wyndham) side of the activity desk as this is where they are located.

Don't miss a photo opportunity with the sunset - pretty spectacular. Would have loved to try the Ocean House restaurant - maybe next time we are in Waikiki.

We did enjoy our stay at the Outrigger and will definitely be back to Hawaii, though I'm not too sure if we would stay here again. We might look at another Outrigger property instead. The Outrigger Waikiki Shore next door looked pretty good and seemed to have great views.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrsDiIanni
Write a ReviewReviews (6,025)

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was our third visit to the Outrigger, this time for my Daughters wedding.
Our small party of 11 Quests stayed in this hotel and they all enjoyed the stay.
Its location and atmosphere was great. We booked a City view Suite and were very pleased with the view.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank gary51
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The staff are very nice and helpful, the property is located right on the beach. The hotel restaurant has the most amazing view of Diamond Head! There is also a Starbucks inside, and the hotel when I had visited had been updated.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pool or the ocean as there is sometimes construction downtown that can...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Very nice place to stay. We were only there for two nights, but it was very clean and very good service. Room was very very nice and hotel is centrally located.
Bar makes the BEST Mai Tai's!! Walking distance to the beach. I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carol B
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My family and I recently spent 7 wonderful days in Honolulu for our first visit to Hawaii. We were so impressed with our hotel. Not only is the location central to all restaurants and shopping malls in Waikiki, the hotel staff are extremely welcoming and only too happy to help you with any request. There are ABC shops on every corner which are convenient to pick up gourmet snacks and lunch packs to have on the go. The bar service by the hotel pool is exceptional and the Mai Tai cocktails are delicious. If you are keen walkers you can even walk to Diamond Head from the hotel (we did even with our two teenage children in tow!). The beach is quite rocky in some parts compared to what we are used to in Australia however just purchase yourself an inflatable tube from the ABC shop and you will be in paradise. We will definitely stay at the hotel next time we visit Waikiki.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Louise S
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Beachfront room required... I.e.If you are going to the beach..don't sit in the car...
You need to experience the opening of the curtains and having sweeping views of the beach, diamond head and the activity of waikiki .
Music playing from 5 at dukes and food and atmosphere is good at dukes ..
Shouldn't spend long in Waikiki.. A few nights ample...for Australian readers..it's a bit like surfers paradise with more shopping and bigger food portions..

Enjoy

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelling_Jag
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in August 2012. Check in & Check out were both quick and well organized. The counter staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient. I would give them a 9/10 rating.
The room was much as expected, having stayed with you previously in 2010. The room was clean and spacious by Honolulu standards and the housekeeper who attended to the room for most of our stay was very friendly & obliging - 9/10.
I had a problem sending email as my device is configured for my local outgoing server. Your engineer was able to get the details of the outgoing quite quickly. (In many hotels I have stayed at, when I encounter the same problem, I get a blank look when asking for the details.)
The pool was a good size (once again for Honolulu) but there is a lack of sheltered lounges and umbrellas. With the bad publicity (and indeed medically based evidence) in regard to the adverse effects of sunbaking, perhaps thought should be given to adding more shelter. The paving surround is hot but I do understand that grass is impractical around a ‘public’ pool. The pool service, on the whole, was very good. Only one server (whose name I forget) was a little disinterested but the other servers were excellent. (Our view of the service was ascertained before, not just after, Happy Hour when everything becomes outstanding........)
The hotel has a number of restaurants and we tried them all.
Breakfast at Shore Bird was a 3/10. Choice was limited e.g. only granola was offered as a cereal and there were no bowls to put it in. The coffee was undrinkable. We had the Do It Yourself BBQ dinner which was OK. I guess it is a case of ‘you get what you pay for’. Service in shore Bird was 6/10
The Ocean House Restaurant was much improved over Shore Bird. The price of breakfast was reasonable and the offerings & quality were good. We also had dinner there and were very satisfied with it. The service at Ocean House was very good - 8/10.
However there was one major problem we encountered with both these restaurants – they are leased to external interests. As a result having the meal charged to the room created a major problem; in using a restaurant outside the hotel one expects to pay with cash or a credit card. Using a restaurant which purports to be part of the hotel promotes the idea that the meal can be charged to the room which is a convenience measure. In charging to the room at Shore Bird and Ocean House required a 20+ minute wait to validate and charge the bill to the room. We subsequently used a credit card which was less convenient. The hotel needs to streamline this arrangement.
The Kani Ka Pila Grille was a very pleasant experience. We enjoyed breakfast, lunch & dinner (plu numerous Mai Tais) there and charging to the room was no problem. The service was excellent and the food very good. The musical entertainment (Nathan Aweau) was excellent and very appropriate as dinner time music.
Having an onsite Starbucks is very convenient and the coffee is much more to our taste than American coffee. (My home city is referred to as the Latte Society and has the reputation of having the best coffee outlets in Australia – America has still not learnt how to brew good coffee........I’m sorry)
The gym was disappointing. The public spaces at the hotel are large and expansive; the gym is an afterthought placed in a small area in the basement and the air conditioning was virtually non-existent. The range of equipment is quite limited.
In summary we enjoyed our stay and find the hotel is in a great location and it very good value.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends