“Outrigger Reef, great resort!”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Australia
“Outrigger Reef, great resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Hi, we stayed at the Outrigger Reef in May this year for 9 nights in an oceanfront room and would thoroughly recommend it. Definitely worth the extra for an oceanfront, gorgeous views to wake up to every day and lovely to end the day on the balcony with a drink! The shorebird bar is a great spot to have a drink or two looking over the beach.

Great location, only a few minutes walk into the centre of Waikiki, but you also have Lewers Walk straight outside your door.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank beachloverforever2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,436)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brentwood, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

After reading all of the great reviews for this hotel on TA and any other travel site, I selected it for my Waikiki vacation last month. It seemed like the perfect place, its right on the water, the rate is reasonable, great Waikiki location etc.
After my 6 night stay, I left with only 2 complaints. The first one is the food in the hotel restaurants. I had 2 meals at the Kani Ka Pila Grille and breakfast my last day at the Shorebird. The food was just OK but factor in the cost and it isn't worth it. You can do better elsewhere. For breakfast, there's a Denny's close by and the ABC store has fruit, yogurt and cereals.
The other complaint- I asked for a king size bed but got a room with 2 doubles. I would have been fine with queen size but I really don't like doubles. This is the one thing that would keep me from going back. If they can't guarantee a king (or queen) bed then I'll go somewhere that can. I'm reasonably certain they had one a available and just blew off my request. I checked in on a Tuesday and it was pretty quiet until the weekend.

Other than that stuff, the property is great. It is maintained very well. The rooms are spotless. Housekeeping does an amazing job.
Most of the staff is friendly, courteous and professional. I only encountered one person that needed an attitude adjustment- the hostess at the Shorebird.
If you're bring a car, parking is on the high side for Waikiki at $35 but the hotel doesn't charge for WiFi like most others so it was a wash for me. The internet speed is kinda slow though.
There are 2 shops in the hotel for drinks and snacks and Starbucks is out front. There are 2 ABC stores and a 7-11 nearby too.

Room Tip: Ocean tower is on the beach side, Pacific tower is on the street side. Partial ocean view means to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Chris H
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Aloha!
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here with us at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. It is always difficult to respond to negative comments as we do strive for excellence. I will definitely share your feedback with the staff and look into why your request for a king bed was not followed up with. Unfortunately, Outrigger’s company policy does not guarantee particular bedding types, however, we should have been able to find a king bed for you at some point during your stay. Although your stay was not perfect, we hope that you choose to stay with us in the future.
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed here for a week on our honeymoon. Fantastic hotel, really nice rooms, very spacious. We paid extra for the partial sea view on the 15th floor which I would recommend. Nice balcony with a view over the pool area. Lovely pool area with plenty of free sun loungers.
Beachside restaurant is a really good experience especially as ou cook your own meat on the barbecue!, although it is expensive.
Hotel also has direct access to the beach, unfortunately no private beach area although I understand there are no private beaches anywhere in Hawaii. You can rent sun loungers and umbrellas from the guys on the beach but they are circa 50 dollars for a day (two sun loungers and an umbrella).
Also access to the main shopping area and selection of bars and restaurants only a few mins away
All in all thoroughly recommend this for any occasion in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Go for a partial sea view room on at least floor 12 or above
6 Thank michaelw007
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

After years away from O'ahu I returned for a 2 night stay in Waikiki as part of a larger stay on the island and stayed in an partial ocean view in the Ocean Tower at the OUtrigger Reef on the Beach and really enjoyed my stay.

The hotel is located at one end of Waikiki and so had a felt quieter resort feel than its sister hotel, the Outrigger Waikiki, which is right on Kalakua in the thick of the action. The Reef however is still only a few minute walk if you wanted to do some Waikiki sightseeing, dining or entertainment and being near the action without being in the midst of it was I thought a positive feature.

The Reef has a good if not large stretch of sand directly in front but does have a rocky ocean bottom right off the resort so isn't the best for swimming but is a short walk to better stretches of beach towards the Hilton Hawai'ian Village. The pool is not as large as expected but never felt swamped or overrun during the busy times of the day.

My room was on the 4th floor and afforded a view of the water over top part of the Diamond Head Tower so could see why those floors are classed as partial ocean views. You could pay extra and have a higher floor room with a better view but opted not to for this short stay. The rooms were renovated a few years ago and are were large and very comfortable. I liked having the vanity separate from the toilet and bath/shower as it affords more flexibility for families or couples than having everything within one bathroom. The furniture was in good shape and the décor was modern & contemporary and didn't feel dated. One small nitpick was the water pressure felt low and the shower not as strong as other hotels I stayed at elsewhere on the trip.
Overall a very nice room that I felt was clean and more than comfortable to allow some good night sleep.

One nice feature I appreciated was Outrigger's free local and international calls as I was able to call back home to Canada several times to check in with family without paying a thing. Most other hotels I found offered free local and toll free calls only so this feature combined with no Outrigger resort fees both added up to be bonuses worth considering when comparing Waikiki hotels.

I did prefer the breakfast in the Ocean House Restaurant over the adjacent buffet breakfast choice which is the Shore Bird Restaurant as the Ocean House felt more upscale and quieter than the buffet restaurant. The Shore Bird is beach bar & grill and is open morning, afternoon and evening with large screen TV with sports on and so a much more casual crowd than the Ocean House which does breakfast 7 - 11AM and then reopens only for evening dining between 5 - 10PM. Dining prices were not too outrageous compared with elsewhere in Waikiki but buffet breakfast for a family of 2 adult and 2 younger kids rang up as $57 so be prepared to spend $15-$20 for breakfast daily if you don't like going off-site for a morning meal. I also ate at the poolside Kani Ka Pila Grille and very much enjoyed the local artists that play regularly in this outdoor venue at the front of the resort.

Overall a very relaxing stay and one that exceeded my expectations and can see now why the hotel ranks as highly as it does on Trip Advisor. The staff were all uniformly friendly, polite & professional and the quitter location and resort feel coupled with good amenities and dining all add up to make for a very pleasant stay and one I'd definitely consider if back in Waikiki.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank tcook052
Muscatine, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon. We stayed at Outrigger Reef on the Beach for 5 nights. The location was perfect, right on the beach and close to many shops and restaurants. We had only 2 minor issues with our room that were both resolved QUITE promptly. The first time we tried to use our TV, it would not turn on. We called the front desk and someone was sent immediately to deal with the problem - apparently there was an issue with the cords and we needed a new remote. Later in the trip, the battery in our smoke detector was running low, so it was beeping. My husband called the front desk, and again, someone was at our room within minutes to change out the batteries.
While checking in, my husband mentioned that we were on our honeymoon and we were told that champagne would be sent up the following day (it was already pretty late when we were checking in the first day). We were really excited about that! A couple of days went by and we still hadn't seen the champagne, but we had been away from the room quite a bit, so we weren't sure if we had just been gone when they tried to bring it. We mentioned the situation to the front desk and were asked what time would work for us and it was promptly delivered.
We had a partial ocean view in the Pacific Tower on the 9th floor and were very happy with our room and lanai and view. We spent quite a bit of time sitting on the lanai, drinking Kona 6-packs purchased in the little convenience store on the first floor of the hotel. Quite enjoyable.
We ate a Kani Ka Pila a couple of times and enjoyed their drinks a few times. The teriyaki chicken skewers are DELICIOUS. I loved the Lava Flow drinks - try the mango version! The bell desk was quite helpful on a couple different occasions when we needed help determining our transportation situations. I highly recommend this hotel. We had a wonderful time and cannot wait to make a return trip!

9 Thank Katie W
San Antonio, Texas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Arrived at the Outrigger Reef on Tuesday June 11, 2013. The valet were friendly and greeted us with professionalism. However, the issues with customer service began right away at the check-in. At first, the agent could not find our reservation then went on to find two reservations under my name - two different reservations booked for the same dates, same room, same everything. After asking if I had made two reservations, and after I had showed her confirmation that I had indeed NOT booked two reservation, the agent continued to harp about why there are two reservations in the system. She insisted on investigating and even began questioning me as to exactly when I made each reservation down to the exact time and date. Am I a customer or am I being detained by the Oahu police department? I tried to diffuse the situation and suggested that an error in the system could be possible; however, the agent could not fathom such an event and to her, this error could only be that I booked two reservations and was trying to "get out of paying a cancellation fee." We had heard that the Outrigger was this amazing hotel with awesome reviews that is why we decided to pay a little extra for the experience. I did not pay extra to be antagonized at the front desk even before my vacation is supposed to start.

I definitely agree that the hotel is very nice, clean, and in a great location. However, to begin our trip under those circumstances was just getting off on the wrong foot. Not worth the money. There are plenty of other places that have much better customer service with equal, if not better, hotel amenities.

10 Thank Jeff1218
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel/resort with beautiful bars and restaurants with a great array of shops. It's cafe/bar is set on the beach which is absolutely breathtaking. I could stroll straight onto the sand after breakfast or dinner - perfect for a tropical hol.
I was a single traveler and felt very relaxed the whole time. I'd recommend going to their activities counter as soon as you get there. I'm one to do things myself which I did at the start, but when I went to discuss a couple of ideas with the staff I had a surfing lesson (which was awesome as i didnt spend an hour on the beach doing safety stuff and techniques like the others!) and a snorkel cruise organized really easily with excellent prices!
My only issue was that I asked if there were any better rooms available but all I got was a room directly fronting onto the service stairways on the other building. There was a balcony which, if you leant over the rail and looked around the corner you could see the water but certainly wasnt what i had in mind. This meant I had to keep my curtains closed for the entire time due to not having any privacy. Which was a bit of a let down as natural light would've been great in the mornings. I also had the room right next to the elevators which of course meant lots of banging etc late at night and early in the mornings.
However, if you ask for a room with a view - this would be the best spot to stay in Waikiki! I will be back!

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view away fom the elevators
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo