“Perfect Location on Beach!”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, CA
“Perfect Location on Beach!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here in mid-March and had perfect trip! After reading a few reviews I was a bit concerned about location on beach (rocks, not swimmable, etc.) and was surprised at how nice the beach was. The location is perfect as there aren't a ton of people at this end. We swam every day along with many of the other hotel guests. The hotel itself seemed almost new or recently remodeled. Our room in the pool tower still had a very limited view of the ocean and was modern and very clean. Pool area seemed nice but we didn't use since ocean was only a few more steps to walk. Many restaurants within a 5 minute walk along with at least 3 ABC stores. I would definitely stay here again if in the Waikiki area.

Room Tip: Our room was on 7th floor and looked over pool. It was very quiet and had a limited view of the oce...
7 Thank willsf32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,478)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel had a fantastic location right on the beach, with oceanfront breakfast in the morning overlooking Diamond head in the background..and it was nicely recently renovated with spacious rooms. Also a great central location for walking to some shops & restaurants. They even had a morning hula class on the beach, as well as a Starbucks & restaurants & shops within the hotel. The breakfast buffet was delicious. If I had to pick one negative, it would be that it got a little noisy outside our balcony at night (there was some private function going on) & I would've liked a full ocean view instead of the partial view that we got. It was also our honeymoon & they had champagne & a card awaiting our arrival.

7 Thank Niki W
Ruislip, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have just returned from a 10day break with my mum where we stayed at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. As a whole I cannot fault this hotel, it has an excellent location (in my opinion probably the best), you are right on the beach and within walking distance of the main shopping/restaurant hub. The room was spacious and clean, the hotel was a nice size with a good selection of shops, restaurants and activities. But like any hotel I found pro's and con's while staying here:

Pro's
The rooms were lovely and clean and serviced every day, they were also quite and didn’t get an disruption from other guests in other rooms. We were in room 408 in the Ocean tower which is right outside the elevator/ice machine and we didn’t hear any disruption at all. We also had a lovely view of the beach and pool.
There was a nice selection of activities happening everyday such as hula and ukulele lesson and flower garland making.
The pool was cold but there were 3 hot spas pools around the pool deck which were lovely and hot, they did get a little crowded but still they were a real treat after a long day at out.
Good selection of shops (including starbucks) and Restaurants which were open till 10pm.
The concierge were helpfully at booking our trips (Polynesian cultural centre and pearl harbor is a must) our helicopter tour was cancelled due to the rain and the staff were very helpful and refunded us in full with no problems. However don’t get confused between the concierge and the time share people disguised as concierge sitting at the same desk. I think the time share people sit at back of the hotel with Wyndham badges on.
The bell desk offer some good transfer for example we went to the shopping outlet and got some good bargains for a $15 round trip shuttle, we also used the airport shuttle for $12 which I thought was good value for money.

Con's
I am a very allergic person and the pillows as comfy and lovely to sleep on was I was extremely allergic to them, so I couldn’t breathe from the moment I lied on the bed every day I would also wake up with a sore throat etc.. When I asked for a hypo-allergic pillow they didn’t have anything else but the ones on the bed. I have stayed at much lower class smaller hotels where hypo-allergic pillows were available so was shocked at this.
The TV in the room was bad signal and small.
The WIFI in the hotel was the worst wifi ever!! So frustrating constantly getting disconnected and loosing signal. As we are from the UK and can't use 3g in the states I relied on this wifi to message home and facetime and couldn’t do either in my room - extremely frustrating. I found the best signal downstairs in the Shorebird Restaurant (connecting to their wifi).
The Shorebird Restaurant was good in the evening, nice atmosphere but I wouldn’t recommend this for the breakfast buffet. Not sure if this is because we are English but I thought $14 was a bit much for what it was, you could get a very nice breakfast with a very pleasant view of the morning beach in the Ocean restaurant next door for also $14, granted this wasn't a buffet but a much better quality.
The Beach isn't very deep at Waikiki so it did seem a little crowded at times, also its $40 a day for 2 beach chairs and an umbrella, I thought this was a little much for hotel guests to pay to sit on the beach outside their hotel, I thought discounts should have been offered.
The pool area was shady till noon and the pool was so cold, i couldn’t get in it!

I also want to mention the time share people. I read reviews on here which made me prepared because I knew they would try and hassle me. When we arrived at the hotel on the bed was a card that said "a free gift is waiting for you" this was at the concierge desk. When we were booking our trips (which is at the concierge desk) next to them was the time share people disguised as concierge! I asked about what this gift was (to the time share man) his reply was "where are your husband’s?" to which we replied "we left the men at home!" he said "well, I'll have to ask my boss then as to whether you receive your gift or not". So there you have it ladies, just pretend you are on your own and you don't get hassled by them! They are only interested in men or couples (I presume they believe these are the people with $$$).

On a whole it was a lovely hotel and I would most definitly recommend and will be returning in the furture.

Room Tip: Go for a partial ocean view, don't bother with a ocean view - I think its fairly similar, "...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Juicy-Gem
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel went through a remodel recently. It is beautiful with lots of wood and highlights the outrigger importance in Hawaiian culture. The location is fantastic. Rooms have the versatility of ocean front (yes it is ON Waikiki Beach) or you can get an ocean view and see the city as well. It is beautiful!

This hotel is a great value. There is a Starbucks in the hotel which is a great plus.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and get a balcony
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank mdmonaghan
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is an excellent property right on Waikiki Beach. The hotel has two restaurants on the ground floor that open to the beach and ocean. One of them has a buffet lunch and breakfast. There is a 50% off coupon in the coupon book you receive at check in for the second meal and your receipt will have 50% off coupons for subsequent meals if you come back. There are several shops on the ground floor and a pool and bar area. You are within 1 block of Waikiki Beach Walk and 2 blocks of Kalaukua Avenue shopping. The room itself is very nice with the standard features you would expect at this type of property. The balcony of a partial ocean view room has a great view of the ocean. We used the links on the hotel website to organize and plan all of our day tours and everything worked without any problems for the week. Highly recommend this hotel.

12 Thank Robert S
Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel was awesome i would like to highly recommend it.The room on the 9th floor partial ocean view could see beach. The beds are great and the pillows Air conditioning,has a very good fitness centre ,service is very good, Waikiki Beach at your door step,close to all shops bell boys ( or bell men) are so friendly,rooms are clean,i would stay at this hotel again as its so close to everything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank 39missy
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've found this place thru Trip Advisor and glad I booked this place. We stayed from 3/6 - 3/11.

We stayed at room 844 (1 king bed partial ocean view) and this is located right in front of the elevator ( I didn't mind at all).
Shower - pretty powerful it really hurts (no kidding seriously the water pressure is high). I didn't complain about it because it helps me clean my hair :D
Mini Fridge - nice to have for drinks
Coffee Maker - used only once lol there is a starbucks on the property and it opens at 4:30am
TV -32" screen and not digital :(
Drawers - spacious
Closet - Spacious
Carpet - very clean :)
Bed - comfortable with 5 pillows!
Lounge chair - cool one
AC - works great
Elevator - must insert your room card key to use
Location - great for everything including public transportaions (we used buses a lot $2.50 per and dont forget to get the transfer ticket from the driver.)
Oh BTW, there is no iphone charge station... pls bring your own cell phone chargers!

our 2nd night til end of our trip was a disaster from room 845 :( young Japanese kids started singing, yelling, talking hella loud and we woke up every night at 1:20AM because of them. Complained 2 nights straights security took care of the situations but they never stopped banging the door and ice machine doors in the hall way :( that was their way of getting back at us on the 3rd night) Wish hotel personnel moved us to different room but oh wells.
The wall is THIN... I can hear them walking... chatting... etc.

The beach is right in front of the hotel. I liked it. Visited both restaurant on the different nights - service is wonderful :D When the waiter spilled my wine by accident, he bought me more even though I didn't ask at all (It was a very tiny spill but THANK YOU sir)

I think this property is good for everyone. If we are coming back, I would LOVE to stay here again. Thank you AAA for the wonderful savings :)

9 Thank Aya M