My wife and I spent 11 nights on the island of Oahu from June 29 to July 10, 2011. Originally we had planned to spend our first 3 nights at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach in Waikiki, to be followed by 7 nights at the Makaha Valley Resort on Oahu's west coast, with our final night back at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Due to an unfortuante series of events at the Makaha Valley Resort, we actually only spent 2 of our planned 7 nights at the Makaha Valley Resort, and instead spent the other 5 nights at the Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu's famed North Shore.
This is my review of the Outrigger Reef on the Beach:
My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. We decided upon the Outrigger Reef on the Beach because of it's #2 TripAdvisor ranking among the 96 hotels on the island of Oahu. Although we were not necessarily disappointed with the Outrigger Reef on the Beach, I cannot say that it lived up to its #2 ranking.
Simply put, the Outrigger Reef on the Beach has a prime location on Waikiki beach, but it is not in the same class as the Trump International (located across the street) or the neighbouring Halekulani, Sheraton Waikiki or Royal Hawaiian hotels. The Outrigger Reef on the Beach is a "family oriented" hotel, moderately priced for Waikiki beachfront, yet with expensive bars and restaurants. Despite its self-proclaimed recent 100 million dollar plus update, the Outrigger Reef on the Beach still comes across as a tired, budget hotel (even if the rooms do cost over $200 per night).
Our "moderate (no view) room" was large by Waikiki standards, with a king size bed that had an excellent mattress, high definition television, safe, sitting patio (if you don't mind staring into the building beside you), and a small, outdated washroom. Our rate was $219 per night, plus tax. Maid service was excellent (we did leave a $3 tip each night) and my wife especially liked the fact that they provided 6 large pillows for the bed and 4 bath towels in the washroom. We valet parked our car at a cost of $30 per night (plus small tip for the valet guys each time we retrieved and/or returned the car) and we preferred the "average" hotel pool to the crowded Waikiki beach out back of the hotel (note: Outrigger Reef on the Beach has umbrellas with lounge chairs set up on the beach, but you have to pay $36 for a day's rental -- plus tip for the guys handling the rentals).
1. Excellent Waikiki location.
2. Moderately priced for Waikiki (if rooms starting at $200 can be called moderately priced).
3. Family oriented (a negative if you are looking for an "adult oriented" hotel).
4. Very comfortable bed.
5. Walking distance to many restaurants in the Waikiki area of Honolulu, including the usual family oriented establishments.
1. Despite recent updating, the hotel still comes across as an older, outdated property.
2. No self-parking and valet costs $30 per day.
3. Expensive bars and restaurants.
4. Washroom in room said 1970's and badly needed to be updated and or redone.
5. Very small beach area and expensive to rent lounge chairs for the day.
6. Too many families with small children if you are seeking an "adult oriented" hotel/resort.
I am not sure how the Outrigger Reef on the Beach has been able to maintain its #2 ranking on TripAdvisor, other than the fact that among beachfront properties in Waikiki it is moderately priced and family friendly. Personally, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is terrible and 10 is excellent, I give the Outrigger Reef on the Beach a 7. Overall, of the 3 resorts we stayed at during our Hawaii trip, Turtle Bay was #1, Outrigger Reef on the Beach #2, and Makaha Valley Resort a distant #3.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Reef On The Beach Hotel Honolulu
- Outrigger Hotel Honolulu
- Outrigger Reef Beach
- Outrigger Honolulu
- Honolulu Outrigger
- Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort Hawaii/Honolulu