“Great value for Waikiki”

OHANA Waikiki East Hotel
Ranked #46 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed May 2, 2007

This was our first stay at the Ohana East. We have previously stayed at other Ohana and Outrigger properties in Lewers St, but with the redevelopment and subsequent huge increases in prices there, we decided to look for a new reasonably priced and well located property. I believe we found this at the Ohana East. Located only a block from Waikiki beach it is a short walk for a swim in the ocean. We were pleased to find that the beach was nicer here than in front of the Outrigger Reef on the Beach and Fort De Russy - the sand extending into the water made water shoes unnecessary. Additionally, the bus from Ala Moana stopped right across the street and the Pink shuttle stopped just down on the next corner, in front of the Ohana West, making it very easy to get around.

The Ohana East has been renovated fairly recently and we found the carpet, curtains and other furnishings to be much nicer than in other
non renovated Ohanas. It’s just a shame they kept the same bedheads and TV cabinets as they make the room look a little dated especially if you know they are probably around 20 years old. Even painting them
a different colour might have been an improvement. The rest though is much nicer. The bathrooms have been renovated as well and though still smallish look much better. The room is average sized with a large safe, TV (limited cable channels), table and chair and bar fridge. Use of the safe was complimentary.

We originally asked for a king size bed in a quiet part of the building but were given a queen size. As we are both fairly large we found sleeping basically impossible on the smaller bed so I asked for another room. We were advised that there weren’t any unless we wanted to pay for an upgrade – unlike some of the other reviewers below who got free upgrades to City view rooms. We didn’t as the room was already at the top end of our budget. They said to check again the next day (usual runaround) but still no king size. Finally
after 3 sleepless nights I’d had enough and went back to see if there
were any twin beds instead, as at least we would each have our own space, but I got a different receptionist who said they did have a king size but that the room didn’t have a lanai/balcony. I said we would take it (we hadn’t used the lanai in our other room anyway), and at least now we could get some sleep. This bed was not only bigger but also more comfortable. Both rooms were equally nice in all other respects except of course for the lanai and the view as we had now moved from the 12th floor to the 2nd and were overlooking a roof. The room was quieter though as it was further from the street.

The pool area has been recently renovated and has some sun lounges, tables and chairs, a pool, whirlpool and bar. The pool can only be accessed via a pool ladder rather than steps so may not be suitable for mobility impaired or older people. It is also too deep (4’ or 1.2m) for small, non-swimmers. Pool towels are provided. The pool bar is only open in the afternoons between about noon and 4pm – about the same time as the pool area is in the sun. The whirlpool did not work as well as it should – only half the jets were working which made them too powerful.

Overlooking the pool area is the gym, which is in two hotel rooms that have been joined together. It has a bathroom, towels, treadmill,
stepper, limited circuit equipment and a TV. It is quite functional for a small hotel gym and the equipment seemed to be in good condition.

There are several restaurants, fast food places and convenience stores in close proximity to the Ohana East as well as a supermarket.
There is also a 24 hour modern, well maintained laundromat at street level. The hotel also has parking for a fee. In addition to complimentary use of the safe, we could use our room key holder for free trips on the Pink Trolley (to and from the Ala Moana center), and had free local calls and calls of less than 15 minutes to mainland USA from our room. These were things we had not received in previous Ohana hotels and found them very useful. Additionally, it was possible to check-in to Hawaiian Airlines flights (domestic only
– not international) on a machine in the lobby and in the morning there is a rep there to help you and they take your bags to the airport and check them in for you.

Overall, we enjoyed our 8 night stay at the Ohana East and when compared to the previous Ohana and Outrigger hotels we have stayed at, it was of an overall higher standard but still at a reasonable cost compared to other options currently available in Waikiki. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
13  Thank worldtravella
Write a ReviewReviews (1,973)

Reviewed April 26, 2007

We (2 retired adults) stayed at the Ohana East for 5 nights in the second week of April. We took the Roberts shuttle bus from the Honolulu Airport to the hotel at $9 per person. The ride took about 70 minutes, but with the fun commentary by the driver and the city scenery going by, it was definitely the right decision.
The Ohana East is located in Waikiki on the corner of 2 main streets, about a 5 minute fun walk to the beach. Across the street is an ABC store, and on the next block is a grocery store and numerous restaurants. The convenient city buses go right by the hotel, and a shuttle, free with your hotel key, can ferry you all around Waikiki (which we used every day).
Check in to the hotel was very quick (we arrived about 9:30 pm) - the staff from bellmen to clerks to cleaning staff were so very helpful and friendly. We had a 2 bedroom "city view" room on the
eleventh floor, with a large enough shower (I am 6'6" tall), very clean and comfortable. The room faced out over the streets, with a slight ocean and Diamond Head view - especially great at night, with all the lights. The street noise was audible, especially in the early mornings, so, if that is a bother, you may wish a room at the back, overlooking the pool. The room rate included a 5th night free accommodation.
Other than a noisy street, especailly when you are on the lanai, the Ohana East is perfect in comfort and especially city location.
While in the city, we took the bus to Diamond Head (20 minutes) and Pearl Harbour (70 minutes) both econmical and scenic ways to get there.
In the 5 days we only rented a car for one day, a journey around the Island - otherwise we used the buses and shuttle. A trip around the island is a must, with highlights being the entire route #72 from Diamond Head to the Pali Lookout, a visit to the Dole Plantation, and just the general scenery of beaches and villages along the way.
O'ahu is a wonderful island to visit and the Ohana East Hotel added to our enjoyment!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Hach
Reviewed April 13, 2007

We stayed at the Ohana East for 6 nights(3/30/07-04/05/07) and I must say everything turned out fantastic!! We arrived at the hotel for early check-in and the bell hop approached us to see if we needed help, if you say yes they will take all your belongings and take it to your room which is super helpful and you can just go straight to the front desk which is what we did and this really nice lady name Maile(who at first was intimidating)made our stay in this hotel an experience we won't forget. I requested for a room that's on the higher level not close to the pool due to noise at night(since we are booked for simple saver standard room)which means no view and possible close to pool level(doesn't give you much option) she tried to find a room that's on a higher level but none available at the moment, so after about 15 minutes of searching she looked at how many nights we're staying and instead, gave us a CITY view room on 8th Floor(Room 817), my husband and I could not believe it and when we got to room our luggages were all there. As I walked in the first thing I saw was the sliding door to the lanai and the view was just spectacular, I felt like I just died and went to heaven that I couldn't help taking pictures of the views. the city where no one sleeps)people are up partying til' 4AM and by 6 AM you have tourist like us start walkin' around, there are s I looked around our room to see the rest and it's just perfect for the 3 of us, I mean, it's not the Hilton as what Maile said but it's suitable for us, beyond what we expected. So far, I have not seen any thing that has more than 2 legs(if you know what I mean)through out my whole stay as what I would expect of a climate like this. We are basically in the heart of the shopping and dining area(forget about the saying New York-the city that never sleeps they should change that to Waikikio many food places around this hotel that you wouldn't know which one to choose from so trying to figure out what to have CAN be a problem. Shoppers!! you are about 1-3 blocks away from the shopping areas from HIGH ends to low ends, OMG you're gonna need the most comfortable walking shoes you have because by night falls those calves of your will ache like there's no tomorrow. PINK trolleys runs every 8-10 mins(FREE) all you have to do is show your room key and you can ride the PINK trolley all you want(otherwise,it's $2 per person,per way). This hotel is great, I know that everyone has different opinions and expreriences with this hotel but if you're not planning to drive at all and doesn't mind walking alot then this is perfect place to be because everything is walking distance to the point where people walk around with their swim suits while barefooted to head back to their hotels. My family and I got a little used to waking up in the morning with the view of the sunrise that when it was time to leave it was pretty tough (emotional wise) so the next time we wouldn't hesitate to comeback..Maile, if you're reading this my family and I would like to thank you for making our stay with you guys a pleasant one that's hard to forget...

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
10  Thank chelley2909
Reviewed April 7, 2007

We booked a kitchenette but found it too noisy a location in the hotel. They moved us to a city view, 14th floor. It was a nice room, good view, we liked it enough that we stayed there on our way back from NZ too.

There is a complimentary trolley to Ala Moana Mall. The desk clerk will give you the details. It's nicer than taking the bus.

The price is reasonable for what you're getting in Waikiki.

Stayed: January 2007
3  Thank Call_us_Canucks
Reviewed March 25, 2007

Just got back from lovely Oahu. We stayed 6 nights at the Ohana East and I would highly recommend staying here instead of spending extra money to stay right on the beach. The walk to Waikiki beach is approximately 4 minutes! Our room was simple, yet comfortable. The daily maid service was great. The Daily Buzz cafe is a great place for a quick breakfast. The Activities desk clerk in the lobby is extremely helpful. We also used the Bell desk to arrange shuttles to Pearl Harbor and the airport. Checkout is at noon but our flight didn't leave until 11pm. The bell desk will store your bags for you and they even have a hospitality room where you can shower and freshen up before leaving. Do NOT eat at Smorgy's restaurant just up the street. The all-you-can-eat buffet was the worst I've ever had.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Jennikerr
Reviewed March 12, 2007

Ohana East was chosen for us by a travel agent. After reading some of the reviews we figured we had a 50/50 chance of ending up at a good hotel. The Ohana East was a great choice! While not on the beach it was just a short walk, about two blocks, and only took a few minutes. By choosing to stay a few blocks away from the beach we cut about $250 per person off our travel costs. We were traveling with a large group so I had a chance to see a few different style rooms. One was a room on the ocean side. The room was a little bigger and had a larger dressing area and bath. The others were doubles and had the small bathrooms and showers that others had complained about. (If you have ever been on a cruise ship these bathrooms are more than roomy but yes, they are small. I made sure I took a picture of the shower to post here but then forgot to take one of the bathroom itself. In reading all the reviews I kept wishing someone would have done that so you can really judge how small the shower is. You can see by the picture I am bigger than average size and there was still room.) Our room was a King and we were one of the lucky ones to have a bathroom with a shower/tub combo. The only problem was no counter space around the sink but that can be solved by bringing a shower caddy that can be hung from the robe hook on the back of the bathroom door. With six pockets to hold things like make up, hair brushes and spray, toothbrushes and toothpaste we didn't need counter space. I was a bit concerned about noise because our room was next to the service elevator but other than the maids cart always being parked outside our room there were no problems than you would normally have being so close to an elevator. Noise from the street can get a bit loud at night. We were on the 7th floor and could hear music and traffic but we still slept with the slider open every night. It wasn't loud enough to keep us awake. Food in the area is a little pricey. Pizza at the Round Table downstairs is great but will cost you more than you are used to paying at home. Take advantage of coupons when you can. The buffet across the street is not bad in price but the food is average. Lots of fast food in the area and a grocery store around the corner. There were hookers on the streets at night but not in great numbers and not so obvious that you really even noticed them unless you were looking. I felt completely safe walking around at night time. For the price, Ohana East was comfortable, clean and in a good loaction. I would recommend this hotel and plan on staying there again in the future.

Stayed: January 2007
8  Thank melchickk
Reviewed March 12, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Ohana East for 5 nights. The room was clean and we had plenty of space. Our room was located on the 2nd floor and we did not have much of a view. However, it didn't matter much because we didn't spend much time in the room. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is a few blocks from the the beach, but within walking distance. I recommend that if you really want to know about the island to talk to the natives. We did and were given very good advice on the best places to visit in Ohau. We would definitely recommend this hotel for the price.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple