Firstly the location of this hotel is excellent , it is a block from the beach and within easy walking of any restaurant or shop within Waikiki . There are bus stops and tram stops right across the street in front of the Ohana West .
We stayed on the 17th floor and had excellent views of the beach and mountains . The room we had was a 1 bedder with a small kitchen and 2 balconies . there was 4 of us so was a little cramped in size and our kids had to share the pull out sofa in the living area. There is an express lift wich services the floor above 15 and floors are only accesible via room key which is a nice comfort. The hotel itself is quite quiet however even from 17 floors up you can still here the street noise.
I have read a lot of comment re the small size of the shower but it wasn't that bad - however there was not much room when sitting on the toilet !! Otherwise the bathroom is fine . There is free high speed internet in the room and that worked well.
The pool area is nice - doesn't get much sun but in Hawaii that isn't really a problem and there is a verey hot jacuzzi (nice !) . There are pool towels available from the front desk .
Front desk was a bit iffy depending who served you , at check in we were served by a very abrupt clerk - definitely no aloha with her though subsequent contacts improved significantly . The staff seemed friendly enough although one time a staff member again was quite rude and abrupt when we got in the wrong elevator.
Housekeeping was OK - when we first checked in there was insufficient towels and pillows for the 4 of us and it took a few calls to get them delivered . The sheets on the pull out sofa when we arrived were dirty and had holes in them and we left a note for the housemaid on the bed - she removed the note but didnt change the sheets , which necessitated us making another call to room service and then they came and changed them .
My wife said the hotel felt dirty , apart from some mould in the hower i'm not sure I saw this but maintenance could certainly be improved , in our room a large part of the wall was peeling away and in dire need of repair - see photo attached .
Tour desk in the lobby was quite helpful and there was also a small business centre that could be used.
When you stay here you get free access to the Pink Line trolley service around Waikiki and up to Ala Moana Shopping Centre , on face value that sounds good and in effect it saved us a few dollars however it is a Nightmare trying to get on the trolleys . It is supposed to run every 10 minutes however on some occasions we waited and gave up after 45 minutes , other times trolleys fly past the stop because they are full. Part of the reasons for this and it doesn't appear to be enforced is that a lot of Japanese Tourists who have access to their own private trolleys jump onto the first available trolley and consequently the private shuttles go around empty and the pink line is full and delayed.
All in all the Ohana East is not a bad hotel and if I couldnt afford beach frontage I would stay here again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- OHANA(R) Hotels by Outrigger is our mid-tier, off-beach leisure brand where guests will find local hospitality and convenience in paradise. Located in central Waikiki, this Waikiki hotel is just a 7-minute stroll to Waikiki Beach, next door to The International Marketplace and one block from Kalakaua Avenue's shopping and entertainment. OHANA Waikiki East provides safe, clean and well maintained mid-tier accommodation proudly supported by long serving hosts, many who have been with the Outrigger family for over thirty years. OHANA Waikiki East is unlike beachfront resorts where you may choose to spend your time indoors. Rather, it is an enjoyable home base for your Island adventures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your OHANA Waikiki East Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ohana East Hotel Honolulu
- Ohana East Honolulu
- OHANA Waikiki East Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu